PDA

View Full Version : The Swiftblade (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-28, 06:32 PM
The Swiftblade

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f144/foxboy93/Yoruichi/yoruichi-purple.png

The swiftblade doesn't concern herself with inane words like "strongest" or "smartest". She simply lives her life by one truth: if you are faster, you will always succeed. This extends to every corner of her life, eating faster, running faster, attacking faster. By forcing her body to move faster and faster, past its normal limits, the swiftblade seems to be almost magically enhancing herself as she dances around the field.

Alignment: Any

HD: d10

Class Skills:The swiftblade's class skills are Balance, Climb, Craft, Escape Artist, Hide, Iaijutsu Focus, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Profession, Spot, Swim, Tumble, and Use Rope

Skill Points: 6+Int per level, x4 at first level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Speed Boost|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|+10'|Swift Feet, Faster than You (Move Action)

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|+10'|Grace +1, Evasion

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|+10'|Quick to React +1

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|+20'|Maddening Flurry

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|+20'|Faster than You (Swift Action)

6th|
+6/1|
+5|
+5|
+2|+30'|Grace +2, Slice and Dice

7th|
+7/2|
+5|
+5|
+2|+30'|Quick to React +2

8th|
+8/3|
+6|
+6|
+2|+40'|Lightning Speed, 1/day

9th|
+9/4|
+6|
+6|
+3|+40'|Improved Evasion

10th|
+10/5|
+7|
+7|
+3|+50'|Grace +3, Faster than You (Immediate Action)

11th|
+11/6/1|
+7|
+7|
+3|+50'|Quick to React +3

12th|
+12/7/2|
+8|
+8|
+4|+60'|In the Blink of an Eye

13th|
+13/8/3|
+8|
+8|
+8|+60'|Lightning Speed, 2/day

14th|
+14/9/4|
+9|
+9|
+4|+70'|Grace +4

15th|
+15/10/5|
+9|
+9|
+5|+70'|Improved Faster than You (Move Action), Quick to React +4

16th|
+16/11/6/1|
+10|
+10|
+5|+80'|

17th|
+17/12/7/2|
+10|
+10|
+5|+80'|

18th|
+18/13/8/3|
+11|
+11|
+6|+90'|Grace +5, Superior Lightning Speed

19th|
+19/14/9/4|
+11|
+11|
+6|+90'|Quick to React +5

20th|
+20/15/10/5|
+12|
+12|
+6|+100'|Improved Faster than You (Swift Action)[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The swiftblade is proficient with all simple and martial weapons. She is proficient with light armor and with shields (except tower shields)

Swift Feet (Ex): The swiftblade's legs take longer strides, her wings push more air, and her arms tear through water and dirt like a knife through butter. The swiftblade adds an enhancement bonus to all of her movement speeds equal to 10'*1/2 her level (minimum of 10', maximum of 100' at 20th level)

Faster than You (Ex): The swiftblade's arms move faster, and her mind races quickly, allowing her to aim and attack in half the time it normally requires. The swiftblade may make a single attack at her highest attack bonus as a move action.

At 5th level, the swiftblade may make a single attack at her highest attack bonus as a swift action.

At 10th level, the swiftblade may make a single attack at her highest attack bonus as an immediate action.

Grace (Ex): The swiftblade can react and move even faster than a rogue or a ranger of the same level. At 2nd level, the swiftblade adds a +1 bonus to her Reflex saving throws. At 6th level, and every 4 levels after that, this bonus increases by 1, to a maximum of +5 at level 18.

Evasion (Ex): As the monk ability of the same name.

Quick to React (Ex): The swiftblade is rarely surprised, but when she is, it doesn't last for long. At level 3, the swiftblade adds +1 to her initiative checks. At 7th level, and every 4 levels after that, this bonus increases by 1, to maximum of +5 at level 19.

Additionally, if the swiftblade has the Improved Initiative or Superior Initiative feats, or any magic item or class feature that provides a bonus to her initiative checks, she may increase those bonuses by an amount equal to her Quick to React class feature, and they stack. This increase does not apply to her Dexterity modifier. (For example, if a 19th level swiftblade with the Improved Initiative feat, wielding a weapon with the warning ability, and wearing Sandals of the Vagabond, Bands of the Iron Monkey, and a Belt of Battle, had 16 Dexterity, her total initiative modifier would be +44)

Maddening Flurry (Ex): A swiftblade's attacks are so incredibly fast that no creature is able to properly defend itself against them. With each strike, the creature finds itself more and more off-balance. Starting at level 4, each time a swiftblade successfully strikes a creature, that creature takes a cumulative -1 penalty to its AC for one round.

Slice and Dice (Ex): The swiftblade's sword slashes as quickly as it comes out of its sheathe. The momentum the swiftblade can draw from her Iaijutsu Focus lasts longer than normal. Beginning at 6th level, whenever the swiftblade makes a Iaijutsu Focus check for extra damage, the extra damage lasts for the entire round. It applies only to the target she was attacking that was flat-footed, but it applies to every attack she makes against him as a full-round action, as well as any other attacks she makes against him before her next turn, such as an attack of opportunity or an extra attack with her Faster than You and Improved Faster than You abilities. (Her target need not be flat-footed when she applies the extra damage on those attacks)

Lightning Speed (Sp): The swiftblade may not be a spellcaster, but when her adrenaline starts pumping, the world seems to slow down around her. Starting at 8th level, once per day the swiftblade may cast haste, as the spell, as a spell-like ability. Casting haste in this way is a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, with a caster level equal to her swiftblade level. When the swiftblade uses Lightning Speed, the target of haste becomes Personal.

At 13th level, the swiftblade gains an additional daily use of this ability.

Improved Evasion (Ex): As the monk ability.

In the Blink of an Eye (Ex): The swiftblade can scale a mountain in minutes. Starting at level 12, as a free action but no more than once per round, the swiftblade may move up to her full movement speed. She provokes absolutely no attacks of opportunity for this movement, be it from moving out of, through, or into a creature's threatened area. This movement effectively replaces a normal 5' step, and the swiftblade is unable to make her 5' step in any round that she uses this ability. If the swiftblade uses this ability when it is not her turn, she may not use it again until the end of her next turn.

Additionally, if the swiftblade uses this ability, she may not move again during the round (though she may use her move actions for anything else, such as attacking, drawing a weapon, etc)

Improved Faster than You (Ex): At 15th level, the swiftblade's arms become a blur of strikes that no one can keep up with. She may make a full attack as a move action.

At 20th level, the swiftblade may make a full attack as a swift action. (The swiftblade may choose between making full attacks as a full round action, a swift action, and a move action, and may do so in the same round, for instance, two full round attacks as a swift and full-round action, or three full attacks as a swift action and two move actions)

Superior Lightning Speed (Su): Starting at 18th level, the swiftblade acts as though she were constantly hasted. If this effect is dispelled, she may reactivate it as a free action, however, she may not suppress this ability.

gkathellar
2011-07-28, 08:46 PM
I see a class that calls itself "swiftblade," but I can't see any Blurred Alacrity. Are you aware that there's a existing PrC by this name, with very different abilities (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)?

It's missing HD and skills.

Regardless, looks low Tier 4-ish. Maybe Tier 5. It's fast, sure, but it can't really do much with that speed. No maneuvers, no spells, no particular way of producing damage, no particular tanking ability. At the very least, it could afford to break the action economy a little more than it does at present. (Maybe steal some bits and pieces from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208356)).

dragonfire42
2011-07-28, 08:48 PM
This is amazing! I've been thinking about a speed based class for ages. I love it!:smallsmile:

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-28, 08:48 PM
I see a class that calls itself "swiftblade," but I can't see any Blurred Alacrity. Are you aware that there's a existing PrC by this name, with very different abilities (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)?

It's missing HD and skills.

Regardless, looks low Tier 4-ish. Maybe Tier 5. It's fast, sure, but it can't really do much with that speed. No maneuvers, no spells, no particular way of producing damage, no particular tanking ability. At the very least, it could afford to break the action economy a little more than it does at present. (Maybe steal some bits and pieces from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208356)).

I'm very aware of the gish prestige class of the same name. And thanks for pointing out the HD and Skills, I'll take care of that at the moment.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-28, 09:11 PM

There, I added Iaijutsu Focus. And other than that, it can attack additional times per round, which, if it's using a two-handed weapon with the right feats, can be much more devastating than a 2-handed fighter. (And probably on par with a 2-handed barbarian)

Edit: Added the 12th level ability In the Blink of an Eye, which essentially removes the move action from the swiftblade's turn, allowing her actions to consist solely of attacking.

Edit II: Improved Quick to React, allowing for a much higher Initiative-based Iaijutsu Focused build, if desired.

eftexar
2011-07-28, 10:46 PM
I like the speed theme, but my question is, are you going for a heavy hitting speedster or a speedster with lots of options? If you are going for a heavy hitter, then this is perfect. If not I would suggest reducing hit points and lowering the fortitude save (and maybe even the BAB to medium), followed by adding additional speed based abilities (maybe some that allow the player to choose from a list of options).

Domriso
2011-07-28, 10:50 PM
Holy crap, I didn't even realize this was NeoSeraphi because your icon changed.

Anyway, back on track...

I love this idea, but I do have one issue.

In the Blink of an Eye (Ex): The swiftblade can scale a mountain in minutes. Starting at level 12, as a free action but no more than once per round, the swiftblade may move up to her full movement speed. She provokes absolutely no attacks of opportunity for this movement, be it from moving out of, through, or into a creature's threatened area. This movement effectively replaces a normal 5' step, and the swiftblade is unable to make her 5' step in any round that she uses this ability. If the swiftblade uses this ability when it is not her turn, she may not use it again until the end of her next turn.

This is worded awkwardly. I feel like it would be more intuitive to change this ability to being an immediate action instead of a free action. Keep the change of it replacing a 5-foot step on the turn it's used, but the immediate action would make it more obvious that it can be used in an opponents turn.

Also, I'm assuming that this ability can only be used when the Swiftblade has not made any other movements in that turn, since it replaces a 5-foot step? If so, you might want to state that clearly, as those not as familiar with the 5-foot step maneuver might not remember that part.

But, again, I do love this idea. I wants to cannibalize it.

And look! I made an actual helpful comment, instead of just saying I liked it!

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-28, 11:04 PM
Holy crap, I didn't even realize this was NeoSeraphi because your icon changed.

Anyway, back on track...

I love this idea, but I do have one issue.

This is worded awkwardly. I feel like it would be more intuitive to change this ability to being an immediate action instead of a free action. Keep the change of it replacing a 5-foot step on the turn it's used, but the immediate action would make it more obvious that it can be used in an opponents turn.

Also, I'm assuming that this ability can only be used when the Swiftblade has not made any other movements in that turn, since it replaces a 5-foot step? If so, you might want to state that clearly, as those not as familiar with the 5-foot step maneuver might not remember that part.

But, again, I do love this idea. I wants to cannibalize it.

And look! I made an actual helpful comment, instead of just saying I liked it!

Heh. It might not be keeping up with my angelic theme, but my reasons for changing my avatar are more important to me than my obsession with angelic perfection.

You only have one immediate action per round. And you use that to make attacks with this class. The thing about a free action is its free. You can drop a moment of prescience as a free action and no one ever second guessed you could do it on your opponent's turn. And I even threw in that last part to help people realize it. But it would be detrimental to the class and to the reason I put In the Blink of an Eye in (saving actions for attacking) if I changed it to an immediate action.

As for the part about 5' steps, you're very correct. And thank you for pointing that out, I had forgot to mention it. Your comment was very helpful. Seraphi away! *rushes to edit*

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-28, 11:06 PM
I like the speed theme, but my question is, are you going for a heavy hitting speedster or a speedster with lots of options? If you are going for a heavy hitter, then this is perfect. If not I would suggest reducing hit points and lowering the fortitude save (and maybe even the BAB to medium), followed by adding additional speed based abilities (maybe some that allow the player to choose from a list of options).

It's a heavy hitter. Someone who can move fast and smash people to bits. (Like Yoruichi does). I'm talking a person who goes first, moves with his sword not drawn, and Iaijutsu Focuses some serious damage for not one, not two, but three full attack actions on a flat-footed BBEG or minion.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-29, 01:11 PM
This class would probably make The Flash cry with a mouth full of dust.

It would be interesting for some Iajutsu focused abilities, drawing/sheathing as a free action and able to use Iajutsu Focus with a full attack (Provided they're flat footed as usual)
As I understand it, an Iajutsu strike is a single standard-action attack.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-29, 01:21 PM
This class would probably make The Flash cry with a mouth full of dust.

It would be interesting for some Iajutsu focused abilities, drawing/sheathing as a free action and able to use Iajutsu Focus with a full attack (Provided they're flat footed as usual)
As I understand it, an Iajutsu strike is a single standard-action attack.

A good suggestion for the improved Iaijutsu, I'll add that now. As for the drawing as a free action, the class is supposed to take Quick Draw for that. (Quick Draw for them is like Power Attack for barbarians and Natural Spell for druids, it's not necessary to use their abilities but it makes them much more effective)

SamBurke
2011-07-29, 01:21 PM
DEAD LEVELS. They should die.

Especially one so early into the class: level 4? This pretty much limits most people to level 3, though the swift action attack is hax.

Suggestions: Uncanny Dodge, Improved. Maybe some specialization, IE, different tracks? (Off-Walls Speedster, damage, heaps of attacks, etc).

Other than that, good. Tier 4-5, of course, as there's no spellcasting.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-29, 01:29 PM
Level 4 is when you get your second speed boost, and suddenly you're all over the battlefield because you can move almost twice the speed of your companions already (in most games)

Uncanny Dodge doesn't really make sense for the class. She's fast, it doesn't stop her from being flanked. She's got Quick to React to hopefully prevent her from being flat-footed, but she's not got the mindless instincts of a barbarian or the guarded stance of a rogue.

She's already got damage and heaps of attacks from Faster than You and Iaijutsu Focus.

Shadow Lord
2011-07-29, 07:04 PM
You can get like 15 attacks in a round with this! And move! You can do... like... 15d6+195! It's awesome! It's GLORIOUS!

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-29, 09:00 PM
You can get like 15 attacks in a round with this! And move! You can do... like... 15d6+195! It's awesome! It's GLORIOUS!

Ah, thanks. I don't really think you can expect 15 hits, unfortunately, since this class doesn't grant any to-hit bonuses, it'll be hard making those 3 +5s hit (even with a high Dex/Str and enhancement bonuses) but it gets more attacks than a normal TWFer

Cipher Stars
2011-07-29, 09:55 PM
Ah, thanks. I don't really think you can expect 15 hits, unfortunately, since this class doesn't grant any to-hit bonuses, it'll be hard making those 3 +5s hit (even with a high Dex/Str and enhancement bonuses) but it gets more attacks than a normal TWFer

Yes, but more attacks is more opportunity to crit. Which Is why I tend to favor abilities that supply many lower hits as opposed to one somewhat bigger hit.
usually. Not so much in D&D though cuz it doesn't seem to support it well enough. but its an option thanks to this class.

Shadow Lord
2011-07-29, 10:04 PM
How many attacks does a TWF Swiftblade get?

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-29, 10:13 PM
How many attacks does a TWF Swiftblade get?

If she has Greater Two Weapon Fighting? I suppose it depends on the house ruling on haste, but if we were to go by RAW...

(Assuming speed weapons because that's how my TWFers roll)

...30 Attacks (4 from BAB, 1 from haste, 2 from speed, 3 from Greater Two Weapon Fighting = 10 Attacks per full attack, and 3 full attacks. 30 Attacks per round)

Shadow Lord
2011-07-29, 10:26 PM
And with a belt of battle?

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-29, 10:30 PM
And with a belt of battle?

Unfortunately, it doesn't help. A Belt of Battle trades a swift action for a standard action, but at level 20 a swiftblade can use her swift actions to make full attacks anyway.

jiriku
2011-07-30, 12:06 AM
I would expect Improved Faster Than You to grant full attacks as standard actions at 15th and move actions at 20th. It is odd to be able to full-attack as a move action or swift action, but not as a standard action.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-30, 12:39 AM
I would expect Improved Faster Than You to grant full attacks as standard actions at 15th and move actions at 20th. It is odd to be able to full-attack as a move action or swift action, but not as a standard action.

Well, Faster than You never granted attacks as standard actions (as they were already standard actions) Besides, if I made it full attacking as a move action at 20th, you could only get two full attacks per round, and a factotum can already do that.

The thing is, full-attacking as a standard action wouldn't help you at all. (You already basically full attack as a standard action, since you move as a free action). But by making it a move action, you get two full attacks per round.

LibrarianHuntar
2012-02-28, 11:02 AM
Fun!
I'm doing a small campaign, and I thin I'll be a Saurian Shifter Switblade/Barbarian (Whirling Frenzy variant). Wheeeeeeeeee (with each "e" I hit you with my axe). Lots and lots of attacks, yum.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-28, 11:15 AM
Added Maddening Flurry at level 4, so no more pre-18 dead levels.

Jodah
2012-02-28, 11:55 AM
I like it. It seems like it could do with a gestalt build with Warblade (or even Swordsage, its recovery option being valid with this class). I wish it had maneuvers of its own, but gestalt/multiclass can work too.

Heliomance
2012-02-29, 06:31 AM
I'm slightly concerned about the ability to have 3 attacks at full bonus at level 5. I'm pretty sure that hits harder than anything else at that level.

bobthe6th
2012-02-29, 07:47 AM
wow, I never saw this yet mayed the razor about the same...

might want to give more then ne haste/day... that won't make him autonomous from the the local buff bot. more haste, or a limited time haste boost(like the razors luducrus speed...)

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-29, 09:25 AM
I'm slightly concerned about the ability to have 3 attacks at full bonus at level 5. I'm pretty sure that hits harder than anything else at that level.

That would be the point, though. He's supposed to have more attacks than everyone else.

might want to give more then ne haste/day... that won't make him autonomous from the the local buff bot. more haste, or a limited time haste boost(like the razors luducrus speed...)

He gets 2 uses of haste per day at level 13, and at level 18 the haste effect becomes permanent, so it's much better than more uses.

Heliomance
2012-02-29, 11:20 AM
Still, I think 3 attacks at full bonus when everyone else is getting 1, 2 at penalties with TWF or Flurry, is a little strong. I'm sure that overall the class is okay, but at low levels it looks faintly horrifying. Then at 6th level it has 4 attacks, and is getting IA on all of them. I'm not seeing how anything else can match the damage output on that. And don't say PA, because this can PA just as hard as anything else, being a STR-based full BAB class.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-29, 11:23 AM
Still, I think 3 attacks at full bonus when everyone else is getting 1, 2 at penalties with TWF or Flurry, is a little strong. I'm sure that overall the class is okay, but at low levels it looks faintly horrifying.

The Whirling Frenzy barbarian is getting two attacks per round at a +2 bonus (when you take into account the +4 Str) at level 5. And martial initiators are doing plenty of good things with their swift actions besides attacking.

The idea behind the swiftblade is to get as many attacks per round as possible, but with no support for those attacks, so you can basically dish out as much damage with a one-handed weapon as a TWF is with a normal attack routine.

legomaster00156
2012-02-29, 12:24 PM
I like this class. From what I can see, it sits around mid to high Tier 3, with the dozens of attacks you can potentially pull off.