PDA

View Full Version : cleric summoner

Bloodymango
2011-07-28, 07:50 PM
hey guys what do u think of this build. its a 28 point buy system using the LGCS standards, with some modifications. im playing a wood elf the worships Halmyr god of strategy and war. then im going knight of the raven which is a strong melee class along with ordained champion. i will be ending with sacred exorcist. looking for advice on what i should do

1 cleric* SF con
2 cleric*
3 cleric* augment summining
4 cleric*
5 ordained champ
6 KoTR BECKON THE FROZEN
7 KoTR*
8 KoTR*
9 KoTR* cloudy conjuration
10 KoTR*
11 KoTR*
12 ordained champ* HOLY WARRIOR/power attack/Close Quarters Fighting
13 ordained champ*
14 KoTR*
15 KoTR* DMM quicken
16 KoTR*
17 KoTR*
18 SE* extra turning
19 SE*
20 SE*

Wood Elf
16 str
10 dex
12 con
10 int
15 wis
12 cha

4 Religon
2 Concentraion
2 Planes

Bloodymango
2011-07-28, 07:58 PM
im going to be using a elven thinblade

imperialspectre
2011-07-28, 08:06 PM
Well, you're not exactly building a summoner. Your build looks more like a paladin with a couple summoning feats than anything else. A cleric summoner would probably look more like Cleric 5/Thaumaturgist 5/Malconvoker 10.

Jude_H
2011-07-28, 08:12 PM
You have an awful lot of resources dedicated to whacking things for a "summoner."

DMM:Rapid Spell is invaluable for cleric summoners. If you don't want it, at least do something about your Concentration - if you're leaving enemies with a full round to whack you every time you cast, they probably will.

What are your Domains?

Rules-wise:
Don't you need Quicken for DMM:Quicken?
Don't the OC's feats come at OC1?

Bloodymango
2011-07-28, 08:21 PM
ur right OC feats are at lv 1

Psyren
2011-07-28, 08:45 PM
Well, you're not exactly building a summoner. Your build looks more like a paladin with a couple summoning feats than anything else. A cleric summoner would probably look more like Cleric 5/Thaumaturgist 5/Malconvoker 10.

1) There is no Malconvoker 10
2) 9 isn't all that good either

Bloodymango
2011-07-28, 08:51 PM
i have never been a power gamer. i just thought it would be nice to fit 2 may 3 roles support/tank/dps with these classes. also Planning, War are my two domains

candycorn
2011-07-28, 09:42 PM
It's hard for me to envision a cleric summoner without the summoner domain. +2 CL for summons is a good thing to have, if you're going to go cleric over druid for summoning.

DMM is a strong point of Cleric, so I'd recommend using DMM Rapid spell, to get your cast time down a bit. It's much cheaper than quicken spell.

"Roles" are a concept in D&D... "Tank" isn't really. "DPS" is a term for MMO's, primarily, and would be classified in D&D parlance as a striker. There's no need to be one. The attraction of summoners is that you call things to do that for you. If you're a tough nut to crack, and you're bringing in reinforcements every round, you're enough of a threat to be focused on. If they get you to not bring in a reinforcement, and instead attack, they win.

And yes, after a few levels, you'll likely be able to summon most every round of a fight. That's available, assuming a 16 Wisdom, as early as level 6-7. That's assuming 4 rounds of summons per fight, and 4 fights per day.

Donny_Green
2013-12-30, 01:25 AM
I have to admit I don't see the allure of DMM to Rapid a summoning, when metamagic school focus can do the same and adds a greater dimension of versatility.

Now if DMM could be applied to any metamagic feat on your list, that would make more sense... Even if you still had to pay 1+metamagic cost..

Also I've been looking into using thaumaturgist and magical trickster, possibly in conjuction with each other, if allowed to use contigency spell along with the MT's once daily free +4 to meta magic.

"If our party should ever be caught flat footed, cast this spell" This spell = rapid twinned summon X at my highest spell level; before the action begins.