PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun - Will Run for Nuyen! IC

Agent_0042
2011-07-28, 09:02 PM
The sun rises over the nameless city, painting the plasteel-and-glass sides of skyscrapers in a brilliant spectrum only visible because of the chemical haze that so thoroughly permeates the air. Scores and scores of individuals awake and unthinkingly begin their daily rituals, cogs in the machine that is 2072. For the most part, this machine functions smoothly. It's only on the fringes of society that the system breaks down, and the cogs grow dysfunctional. This is the world of shadows. Your world.

An alert from your commlink interrupts your thoughts. Incoming call? Wonder who it's from...

INSTRUCTIONS:
Sometime during the day, you get a call from your fixer. Exactly how this plays out is up to you, but the general gist of the conversation is as follows -
The fixer doesn't know any details about the job, only that the offer seems legit and that there was a request for someone with your talents.
To find out more, you'll have to head to the Eminence Front, an odd nightclub known for its eclectic mix of nu-rock and modern renditions of century-old rock tunes (dubbed "revival rock" by critics).
Show up at around 10 this evening, and ask the bartender for Mr. Johnson. Probably best to not be late.
Oh yeah, the club is invite only. Good luck getting past the bouncers. This may or may not be a test.
The main purpose of this is to help get you into the feel of Shadowrun. After your chat with your fixer, you're free to RP and take actions up until it's time to enter the club. Once you reach that point, stop and wait for the go-ahead. Remember that you need to find way into the club, and try to keep things moving along.

MurphysLaw159
2011-07-29, 02:48 PM
The ring goes off in Pugrym's head as he dodges another pathetic (to him) swing. Activating the channel he answers it in his usual fashion.

"WHAT!?"

"Are you ever going to get over that old job Pugs?"

"O hey Smiles. Whats-grr, ha, urg-happenin?"

"Got a job lined up for you... are you busy? I could call back later."

"Nah, just prize fighting some slot that couldn't hit the ground if I threw him. So whats the scan?"

"I couldn't get any details on the job itself. All that was offered was a list of different required talents and the place and time to meet. A couple of the talents fell under your M.O."

"Anyone, hang on-" Crack, Thud, Ring Ring "HA! SO YOU COULD HIT THE GROUND YOU FRAGGIN HEZ-LESS PIECE OF DREK! *back to Smiles* And there's this month's rent. Anyone I know also get fingered for this?

(To the GM: Do you want us to know each other? If so, all of us or just some?)

Selinia
2011-07-31, 02:29 AM
"I have to... go outside?" Adalicia mulled over the information parcel Sequence had just forwarded to her, sipping gingerly at a glass of medicated liquid that could charitably be called water. "I think that's actually pretty bad... I kinda see why papa always kept up on sparkies." She grimaced, emphatically disliking the idea of having to use one of those nasty keyboard-y... things.

The luminous words manifested hanging in midair over the foot of the girl's bed, making her smile slightly as a digital butterfly carefully propped up a letter that was 'sinking'. But still, she stopped it with an almost imperceptible shake of her head.

"I'll have to leave eventually. What are the odds of finding a rendezvous and a target within a mile of this place? I mean, its more than I used to be able to do, but it'll probably be a long time before I can visit networks at any distan-" Unused to speaking more than a couple sentences aloud at the same time, her lungs protested - violently. Ada's knuckles went white as her body was wracked by a series of brutal, wet coughs. Still, she was used to it, wiping away the strands of spittle on a kerchief conveniently located by her bedside.

She continued the conversation mentally, tossing up AR text to match that of the friend who she couldn't see but knew was there. [...I take it. It took you three weeks to find someone willing to take me. I've got maybe a month to make my next payment or this...] They both understood she was referring to the room - the medicine, the bed, the nurses and surgeries. [...stops. And then I'm dead. And you know, he was an idiot, but papa died so that I could live, and I'm not going to waste that by non trying.]

[...that's a girl, Ada. You'll do great, you just see! There's probably a cafe near the place. No offense, but you wouldn't be doing yourself justice if you showed up in the meat. Just saying. Also... what is it? Something wrong?]

[Well...] Adalicia couldn't help but blush somewhat. [I've not left the hospital since I was like, two. And... umm... all my clothes are pajamas.]

[Good thing the hospital shuttles have tinted windows.]

[...yup. That it is...]

Despite her monetary troubles at the moment, the young lady Sternenlicht was what many would call 'well-off'. Others with her kinds of funds spent them on cars, large houses, and fancy entertainment and she saw most of it go to keeping her breathing. Still, she was what the clean little shadow-hospital would consider a 'valued client' - spending over a hundred grand annually with no signs of stopping doing so did that. So when she asked for a shuttle, a parasol, and a travel-kit of meds to deal with anything that came up, no questions were asked beyond "To where, Young Mistress?"

She was wearing her favorite jammies, taking a bit of comfort in them and their elaborate pattern of clouds and flowers in pastel blues and greens. She was also curled up in the back seat, standard-issue anti-UV parasol (she made a mental note that she'd need to get a nice custom one if she kept this up), tucking up slippered feet to 'protect' them from the nasty, awful sunshine of the late afternoon. It didn't actually hurt her, but she was a little leery of it still - you got a lot worse than simulated lens flare if you looked at it too long.

The boxy, van-like shuttle came to a stop, jolting her slightly. She managed to angle the shade in time to catch the incursion in light as the chauffeur opened the door. There was a sidewalk outside. A sidewalk. Ada edged nervously towards it along the cushy seats, making sure her leg braces were on right. That ground was dirty. So very, very dirty. Falling down on it would be bad. Scoot. Scoot...

Thump.

She cringed, closing her eyes. When ten whole second passed and she didn't take an environmental damage, she cautiously opened them again. She was outside. Her feet were resting on the asphalt, the car door was open, and she was outside. ([I]dirtydirtydirty... she quietly suppressed that part of her mind, as it was making her heart beat unhealthily fast)

She stood up, taking a step or two before a voice broke into her trance-like state. "Young Mistress, when shall I return?"

She fumbled for a reply. "Umm... ten... no, make it 10:15. Sharp. I may be later, just... yes. Do that." He nodded, and she returned her attention to the structure in front of her.

Well. Best to check in. She hoped they had someplace comfortable, or her muscles would be on fire later... hunching up and keeping her parasol skyward, the pajama-clad girl made her way into the cafe, doing her best to not notice the others on the thoroughfare.

OOC: Ada is now in a VR cafe about half a mile from Eminence Front (assuming one exists), give or take. She doesn't intend to plug in, she just wants someplace that can keep an eye on her while her mind is off and away. I'm not really sure what the charge for securing you while in VR would be, so let me know.

Also, what time did we receive the message? With a couple hours, she'd have had time to compile and register a sprite or two as company.

Agent_0042
2011-08-01, 10:24 AM
It's usually around $20/hour to plug in and have them keep an eye on you. This falls well under your Lifestyle, so don't worry about it.

Selinia
2011-08-01, 10:50 AM
OOC:

Assuming Ada gets the information sometime in the morning (say, ten o'clock), she'll have a Flirt and a Crack Sprite with her.

Compiling doesn't really take any time, so take the first two successes here.

Comiling checks (Aiming for a Rating Three sprite)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Registering the Flirt Sprite (Three hours) (Picking Filter as the Optional Power for being rating three)
[roll4]

Registering the Crack Sprite (Three hours) (Picking Gremlins as the Optional Power for being rating three)
[roll5]

Lord Bayushi
2011-08-01, 12:53 PM
The call came as a surprise to the dwarf, working late, as usual, on new designs and ideas. He didn't answer it directly, of course, using a protocol to move the call into an email file instead, then scrubbing it for any trace or viral programs, before reading the message.

One of the common themes to the world of shadowrunning is acute paranoia, Karl had noticed, so the lack of specific information wasn't all together unexpected. He had to worry about his own enemies, however, and the meeting place being in a private club was unusual. Perhaps someone was trying to get him in a situation where he could be easily arrested for trespassing. His eyes narrowed at the though, tracing a possible chain of events from a trespassing arrest, through a complex web that eventually led to his death. No, they're not going to get me that easily.

He immediately consulted the web on what could be found out about this club, and those that ran it. He was interested, primarily, on what was entailed in obtaining a membership quickly. They would never expect him to try to LEGALLY enter a restricted club, and they would be unprepared for that. The one eyed dwarf smiled to himself at his plan. Fools. They always underestimate me, and I always let them. That's why I'm still alive.

OOC:
As above, looking for a legal way into the club, and more information on the club, it's membership, it's sponsorship, and it's requirements for joining.

Agent_0042
2011-08-01, 02:17 PM
@Selinia
Cafe patrons come and go as the sun reaches its zenith and begins its journey back down, most giving little more than a second glance to the young girl in pajamas. This is outside of Corp territory, so you get all sorts of types out here.

Net results - Registered Flirt sprite with 6 tasks (capped by Resonance), registered Crack sprite with 6 tasks, 2S Fading taken.

Hits made by the Flirt sprite for Compilation (Rating):
[roll0] -> Compilation successful, 3 tasks.
Resisting Fading (Willpower + Resonance, DV 2):
[roll1] -> No Fading.

Hits made by the Flirt sprite for Registration (Rating x2):
[roll2] -> Registration successful, +4 tasks.
Resisting Fading (Willpower + Resonance, DV 2):
[roll3] -> 1S damage.

Hits made by the Crack sprite for Compilation (Rating):
[roll4] -> Compilation successful, 5 tasks.
0 DV, so no Fading.

Hits made by the Crack sprite for Registration (Rating x2):
[roll6] -> Registration successful, +1 task.
Resisting Fading (Willpower + Resonance, DV 4):
[roll7] -> 1S damage.

@Lord Bayushi
Even taking the time to cover his tracks, Odin manages to dig up the information in record time. Eminence Front seems to be a Horizon-sponsored nightclub, and with the megacorp's influence manages to secure a number of exclusive (for the area, at least) performance gigs. Up until a couple of years ago, getting in a simple "pay to enter" deal, but as the club exploded in popularity the management adopted an invitation policy, to help manage the crowds that show and build up the place's reputation. Of course, doing so has only made the club more popular, and now that it's an "exclusive" club, the owners can get away with charging more for everything. So, not only would you have to pay a 500$ cover charge, but you'll need to get your name on the list, or at least get a patron to vouch for you as you go in.

Researching the club (Logic + Data Search, Threshold 1)
[roll8] -> 2 net hits, so information found in a few rounds.

MurphysLaw159
2011-08-01, 04:07 PM
Smiles: "I believe Odin got tapped for this, apparently he can do more then make fun toys, and I know that nice girl Bash has been talking about is in on it whatshername... Luanova? I think? Her first run too but if Bash is to be believed at all that wont be a problem."

"So a Decker and a Rigger? With me that doesn't make a very... SUBTLE team, and what about magic? I don't care what the Johnson might think, if there's no spell slinger the run will be practically doomed to- WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY!? HOW ABOUT YOU GET IN THE RING AND SAY THAT!? OR AIN'T YOU GOT THE HEZ YOU DREK HOLE!? YA I THOUGHT SO, GO CRYING TO MOMMA AND COME BACK WHEN YOUR A PROPER ORK!"

"Don't worry, this isn't the whole team, just who I know has been tapped at the moment. A mage is on the list of required talents along with a few others that you three haven't got covered. Oh, I almost forgot, I heard Sakura might be called into this as well. You know the one, the other student?"

"Sakura? That nova hot ninja? I'm liking this job better and better."

"I figured you might. Hang on-" (goes silent for a moment) "Seems Luanova is already on scene, stashed herself at a cafe near the club. Eager that one is."

"This early? Hmm. That's a good idea actually. Hey Smiles, do me a solid and send out word to everyone doing this job to meet at that cafe asap, ya hear? It would be a good place to plan things out, entry, exits, over watch, back up plans, you know, the usual for a Johnson meet. I think I have an idea for figuring out who this Johnson is too... *sigh* hey, would you also call Sloth and tell him I'm not gonna show up today? Apparently the drek head from earlier interpreted 'a proper ork' as 'go get your friends and gang up on the lone elf.' "

"Want me to call you some back up?"

"Nah, I got this, just gonna take me a few minutes and then I'm going strait to the cafe-" Crack, Thud. "See ya around Smiles- YOU THINK A KNIFE'S GONNA HELP YOU!?"

Smiles could only shake his head as he hung up.

About an hour later, roaring into a parking spot on his dirt bike just before someone could parallel into it (and easily winning the ensuing argument) Pugrym walks into the matrix cafe, not caring who sees the fresh knife cut on his forehead.

Looking around for "a young girl that doesn't get out much" (his only description of Ada) he's surprised at how easy it is to spot her in this small crowd.

Noticing that she's "out of body" he tries to get her attention the only way he knows how from his years of dealing with Bash.

Shaking her (not too roughly, she is a little girl after all) and saying "Hey!" louder and louder until she responds.

Othniel Edden
2011-08-01, 04:40 PM
What would it take to find out a guest list for this place? A bribe?

"Aye Padre, I'll be there.

Chacal gets up from his bed, and moves to the front of the van to start it.

Selinia
2011-08-01, 06:10 PM
EDIT: Ninja'd. Stupid rolls keeping me from previewing my post. *grumble*. Changed to reflect Pugrym's presence.

Ada shivered slightly, stowing her hands in baggy sleeves. The air felt sticky, somehow. But she had an inhaler in a pocket, so it wouldn't kill her to stand out in it for a little. Probably. But it was very unpleasant, and she entered the cafe as quickly as her awkward gait would take her.

It was a bit better inside, where the familiar pressure of lots of powerful systems provided a welcome relief and let her tune out some of the physical world's noise. Even better once she paid her fee and lay down in one of their VR cells. Closing her eyes, she let it all slip away, letting out the relieved sigh that always came with slipping out of that wreck of a body.

When she next opened them, she was surrounded by the lights and sounds of the Matrix, in that way where everything was of a vibrancy and volume the physical world could never hope to match. This was her real world.

She leaned back, stretching her limbs and taking a deep breath as she let the blazing colors assault her for a few seconds. She'd manifested as her favorite form - taller than her real one, with an athletic figure. Her pajamas had been replaced by a dress so elaborate that it would likely be nigh-impossible to reproduce with actual cloth. The skirt came to a little above her knees, and the sleeves were puffy and covered in frills. Jewels and lace were in abundance. Gloves and boots that seemed far too large covered her hands and feet. Her hair took the form of flowing lavender pigtails rather than the oft-shaved red-brown fuzz on her actual head.

An astute observer might note the similarity to the costuming of the last few seasons of various magical girl shows in the outfit, but the design was definitely an original one (and a pretty good one at that). She tweaked it almost constantly in her ample spare time, and the sheer level of detail went beyond anything you'd find in a corp catalog.

But unfortunately, she didn't really have time to just bask in the ambiance of the 'trix today. Settling down on a completely arbitrary ground level, she wills herself to 'outside' Eminence Front. A place like this probably had some sort of digital security that would keep her from just walking in, so she took a moment to observe in the club's manifestation here in the digital world.

This lasted maybe thirty real-time seconds - plenty to get a nice, long look at the thing. Then she felt the rude, crude sensation from outside. She grimaced a little as it grew stronger. Weren't the people in the cafe supposed to keep people away? She gave the cafe a last look, wishing she'd had time to compile Maxwell to do proper recon for her. Still, nothing for it. Letting out a soft sigh, she felt out her physical body and settled back into it.

The girl gives a soft moan after a short time being shaken by the elven runner, arms and legs curling in slightly at the expulsion of breath. An almost blue-green eye cracked open slightly and glared at him for a moment. Then they softened, and closed again. "I don't mean to be rude, but do you mind if I keep them closed?"

She runs a hand over her small body, coming to a pocket in her baggy shirt and pulling out a minute box with the ease of practice. With a couple equally tiny motions, she opened it and withdrew a few brightly colored pills, popping them into her mouth and swallowing hard.

"Your eyes are very nice. I noticed them when I was coming back. Most people don't have eyes like that. I think you are... Pugrym, right? Hello. My name is Adalicia. Most people online call me Luanova. It's nice to meet you." She went quiet then, though she didn't seem to have gone back into the trance-like sleep.

OOC:

Given that she suffered a bit of Fading, she'll use a few hours before she has to head head out to simply rest and try to overcome the S damage. It's what she spends most of her time doing anyway. Resting:

Hour 1: [roll0]
Hour 2: [roll1]
Hour 3: [roll2]

Her frilly purple dress is also an Armor/RBF program capable of taking some serious punishment. She is now running Armor and Redundant Biofeedback Filters, and has a total of two sustained programs running.

MurphysLaw159
2011-08-01, 07:03 PM
"You have no idea how refreshing it is to meet someone that isn't polite just to get something out of me. Yes I'm Pugrym, or Pugs if we're being shot at. Firstly, sorry for rousing you but I probably wouldn't be able to get your attention otherwise, and secondly, never tell someone your real name Luanova , not even if it doesn't have a sin attached."

Pugrym finds a seat and pulls it near her, trying to get comfortable in a place completely out of his element.

"Third, do you have a band-aid or something? I don't think the staff here likes my head wound bleeding on everyone. And forth, do you want to talk while in VR? You look... what's a word Smiles would use... Uncomfortable? Put out?... Ah frag, you look like congealed Hell beaten with an ugly stick and you look like you can feel it." *Under breath* "...'nice eyes'?"

Lord Bayushi
2011-08-01, 08:08 PM
The gruff dwarf continued his research, looking for one of these 'patrons' that would need a few extra nuyen in his pocket, or, barring that, in need of some good hardware.

He needed a plan B, as one always needed contingencies, so he decided to take a trip during his research. He went to his car, securing himself in the rigger cocoon, and drove within a close proximity (a mile or so) to the Eminence Front, using Huginn and Muninn to get a better view of the building, and it's securities. He made sure both drones were using their best evasion protocols, to avoid detection of their actions.

Selinia
2011-08-01, 08:10 PM
"I have this..." Another dive into a pocket, producing what seemed to be a rectangular white cloth roughly the size of the girl's hand. "Its just a basic piece of antiseptic gauze, but its sticky and soaks up blood well enough. Open wounds can get infected, though I get most people don't have my issues with that."

She puts the strip on a stand before pulling her arm back to her chest. "Also, I think the term you're looking for is Polymorphic Biorefreshment Syndrome. It isn't contagious, if you're wondering, but your description is..." Her sentence was ripped into by a fit of brutal, wet-sounding coughs. Flecks of red and slimy yellow stain her shirt cuff as she brings it up to cover her mouth.

"...accurate." She swallows visibly and hard, fighting off another fit. "Tell them to put you on my stay's tab please..." She trailed off, her breathing slowly stabilizing again. As her body went completely lax, it was clear she'd drifted off into the Matrix again.

In her virtual form once again, Luanova took a moment to provide the courtesy of a set of virtual walls and furniture. She was well aware that most people found formless matrix data to be rather disturbing to watch. The resultant room was bathed in hues of lavender matching her costume, with a white table and chairs that wouldn't have looked out of place in the gardens of some posh palace. A door occupied one wall, but there were no windows.

Another being seemed to have taken the liberty of residing in the space as well - what appeared to be some sort of ungodly combination of a cat and a rabbit, will long bell-like ears and what had to be the feline equivalent of a smirk below its deep crimson eyes. The technomancer glowered at it briefly, but returned to relaxing in a chair after a few seconds as the sprite's expression failed to change. She remained so until her hew comrade made good on his offer to arrive in VR, where she could have an actual conversation without risking hacking up a lung. She'd gone through that. It wasn't pleasant.

Agent_0042
2011-08-02, 02:23 PM
@Selinia
Even though the club isn't near its peak operating hours (it's mid-afternoon, after all), it still seems fairly chaotic. The building is, well, building-like, and though you're unable to tell what lies beyond its walls, all manner of AR imagery manages to leak out - menus and drink lists, advertisements, music channels, pretty much everything you'd expect from a nightclub.

Matrix Perception(Intuition + Data Search)
[roll0]
@Othniel Edden
The three easiest ways would probably be to ask a contact, hack your way in, or convince a doorman. All three can not only get you the list but possibly get you on the list.
@Lord Bayushi
Try as you might, you can't find someone known to go in who would be hurting for cash. Everyone who gets into the club seems to be pretty well-off.

Research (Logic+ Data Search, Threshold 2)
[roll1]

As for the drones, are you directly commanding them and viewing their sensor feeds (jumped in or through AR windows) or are they scouting on their own and sending you the data?

Lord Bayushi
2011-08-03, 12:11 PM
OOC:
For the most part, the drones run on their own, but he is monitoring them remotely (through AR windows). If they should find themselves in a difficult situation, he will 'step in' to help. I assume he would be continuing his research while they are scoping out the structure.

MurphysLaw159
2011-08-05, 08:49 AM
Applying the patch to his forehead, Pugrym finds the nearest wage slave and demands a trode net for full VR on Ada's account. After getting an odd look, the guys eyes going between the privileged, eccentric barely-in-her-teens sick girl to the overly large, gang banger-esq has-probably-murdered-more-people-then-you-want-to-know elf, and defeating the look with a are-you-really-going-to-start-something stare, Pugs finally gets the net and settles down next to Ada.

Never getting used to the out-of-body feel of slipping into VR, Pugrym gives his icon a chill-down-the-spine shake. He admired the room for a moment, feeling a bit more out of place then he usually does in VR, what with all the nice and well detailed furniture giving contrast to his only-slightly-better-then-stock Persona. His icon looked like a smashed together mix of tribal elf and savage ork. Pointy ears and pale, tattooed skin with large muscles and psudo tusks that only showed when he talked.

"Well, it's nice to finally put your real face to your personality."

(OOC: Hyphens are fun :smallwink:)

Selinia
2011-08-05, 01:08 PM
The girl smiles widely at Pugrym's words as he materializes and takes his seat. "Thanks for coming. I can see that it isn't really the same for you, but... I hate it out there. This is me. And besides, I can't really hold up my end of a conversation if I'm bleeding out of my lungs..." Ada seems rather downcast for a few moments, but shakes it with the ease of someone long resigned to an unfortunate fact.

"Anyway, I should introduce myself properly. I'm Luanova, pleased to meet you!" Her smile returned at that, but she paused as her gaze was drawn to the white cat-thing now sitting near her feet. It didn't make any noise (nor even seem to properly move from one place to the next, for that matter) but the red eyes were downright uncanny. "Umm... and this is QB. He's kinda creepy, but he's really good at breaking into things." That seemed to satisfy the unsettling pet, which returned to its seat on a side table and began a virtual nap.

"Before you got here, I was looking at this Eminence Front place. Their security is either very good or very bad, and probably the latter. I think I can just go in and put pretty much whatever I want on their lists. I think. I've not really done this before..." She tugged at one of the purple pigtails nervously, looking somewhat questioningly at the orcish elf. Or elfish orc. Flork. "But um, what were you planning to do? This seems like a test of some sort. Either that, or the person who arranged the meeting is a total ditz - arranging a meeting in an invite-only club is kinda rude."

MurphysLaw159
2011-08-07, 06:02 PM
"Well lets assume the worst, which would be that our Mr. Johnson is smart. In which case he or at least his employer picked said club because it had this obstacle and so it would weed out the wannabees that can't even get past a simple bouncer with a list."

Leans forward, adopting an evil grin.

"However, because of this we can use it against him. The only people on that list besides us will be people who are rich and famous. And, our Johnson most likely is just another Wage Slave and so does not meet said requirements. We find his name on the list via proccess of elimination and we have him. IF he is rich and famous and is smart enough to were a mask, we get the security cam footage and find him again by elimination. If his name is not on the list, then the club owner is probably good friends with either him or his employers and so we might be able to find him through those means.

This is not a perfect plan for getting him, but it has a chance of getting us an edge, and in the shadows you need every edge you can get because you never know who you have to cut.

...where the hell is everyone else? I hope they got the memo I had Smiles send out to meet here."

Selinia
2011-08-07, 11:01 PM
"I can do that. Easy." The young technomancer brings her hands up to her mouth, gently cupping them as if they held precious water in a desert. Oursing her lips, she blew slightly, and the air in her hands seemed to ripple somehow - almost as if it was liquid. She released the pose then, as the ripples cascaded to the ground, growing upward and gaining form and color in an almost organic motion. When they finally coalesced, their final form was clear.

She was a little shorter than Adalicia's digital persona, and much more somberly dressed. A slim, black dress with a few pieces of silver jewelry - she wouldn't have looked out of place at corp fundraiser event, save for the blank ebon plate where her face ought to have been. The details matched Ada's own costume... surpassed it, even. There was a rather uncanny sense that she was something real, not just a projection. Adalicia smiled and nodded. "Tear?"

"Yes, young mistress?" The conjured woman cocked her masked head to the side, but otherwise stood utterly still, not so much as breathing.

"I'd like you to identify the individual in the club who is going by the alias of Mr. Johnson - which is to say, the person we're suppose to be meeting. You heard Mr. Pugrym on some of the ways you could use, but if you need to go ahead and start trawling brains for the info. Whatever it takes, but try not get caught, okay? If you find him or something goes wrong, let me know right away. That's all."

"Young mistress..." A curtsy, and the figure had dissolved away again. Luanava's smile faded, but she still seemed at ease when she leaned back in her chair and returned her full and undivided attention to her companion.

"Tear isn't Maxwell. I wish I'd had more time to call everyone... but she should still be plenty able to get past security that weak. And if she isn't, I can always go help." A sigh, before she perked up again. "And hey, if everyone else takes long enough, maybe we can finish up setting things up by the time they get here. That would be fun. While I'm thinking of it, is there anything else you can think of that might help? I can probably try and make it happen." The casual confidence in her words was of one well used to things going her way, no matter how hard she had to kick them to make them do so. "I mean, information anyway. Other stuff is harder."

MurphysLaw159
2011-08-08, 04:23 PM
"Actually, there is one more concern I have. About you in fact."

Leans back, steeple-ing if hands in front of him, staring at Ada as if trying to pierce through her digital surface to something deeper.

"I need you to think on this question hard and answer me as honestly as possible. I don't care the answer so long as it's the cold hard truth."

He paused, taking a deep digital breath, like he didn't want to ask.

"When the chips are down, when bullets and spells are flying and when some rent-a-guard slot is bearing down on your team with the intent to send them to the big fire below, how far can I rely on you to go? Not how far you think you might be able to go, but what you know deep down you will not hesitate to do?"

Leans forward, staring strait into Ada's eyes.

"If someone threatens your team, and you have a hacked turret under your control, can I trust you to shoot at the fragger until the lights leave his eyes or do I have to plan around your possible hesitance?"

Selinia
2011-08-09, 12:06 AM
"...why would I have a hacked turret?" The pigtailed persona fidgeted slightly, looking at the floor. "Okay... I know that wasn't the question. Just... if you want... okay. Fine, here it is." She takes a deep breath, working up to what she was about to say.

"I can delete software. I've deleted lots of software. And some of it... most of it, actually... is a lot more complex than a meta's brain. Did you know that? Its funny how easy it can be, 'cause if you think about it, a normal computer could at least fight back. But a brain can't - most brains, anyway. All I have to do is play a note - one note, really, that's all it takes - and it just..." She raises a hand, waving it back and forth slightly, as if looking for a word. "...stops. Heart stops. Muscles stop. Lungs stop. Life... stops."

"I... don't know if you've ever met a Technomancer before. Most people are afraid of us. Because... because we see something. We can see the Matrix and everything in it, and ordinary people are just so plain in comparison. Because when you can feel everything we can feel, at some point you find yourself wondering why the meat shuffling around the world are so special. A wage-slave performs his job. A server database performs millions in tandem. A slummer has a family. A core Matrix routing node connects with machines on a level... on a level I don't even know how to describe. Imagine opening yourself to someone - not through physical contact, or even talking, or anything like that - opening to them so utterly that there is nothing between you. You're the same being, for the blink of an eye."

While talking, Ada seems unable to meet the elf's gaze, staring down at her lap. Her voice trembles and shakes slightly. Eventually, she gives in, burying her face in her hands, white gloves soon stained with tears. "I've felt that! I've lived in this world my entire life! How the fsck am I supposed to care about people when I can make them die just by thinking about it? About a world where everything is dead, and flat, and people shove each other away with every breath?"

She stops there, sobbing for a moment before she musters the strength to raise her head and at last look Pugrym in the eye. She seems to be fighting off... something. A... smile, maybe? "You said you didn't care, right?" Definitely a smile, and it was hard to tell how much of the shaking in her shoulders was sobbing and how much of it suppressed laughter. "The... the truth? So here it is, and I'm going to tell you right now. I'm afraid. So very, very afraid. Because what happens when I do that? I can barely still see it, that thin little line. The media is silly - not all 'mancers go crazy and turn into monsters."

The smile widens into the sort of grin worn by someone strolling in front of an oncoming train. "...only the strong ones. Most can't do what I can do, already. And I'm fourteen. Past where I am... I don't even know. I've seen the really strong technomancers do things... people are just puppets to them. Code. So what I'm saying is..." She opened her arms up wide, leaning back in her chair. "Please, Mr. Pugrym... don't make me kill anyone. I'm not afraid of doing it... I'm afraid I won't realize its wrong once I do." The expression left her face, and she slowly folded her hands in front of her again.

"Are... are you afraid of me now? Most people are afraid by this point..." The worried, uncertain face of the girl at the start of the conversation was creeping back, but it was hard to forget that mere seconds before it had been grinning at the possibility of murder.

MurphysLaw159
2011-08-09, 04:38 PM
Pugrym tosses his head back and laughs harder then he has in a long while.

"HAHAHAHA!!! By Odin and the intersting saints you're a treat! What did I do right to get a partner that isn't some emotionaly dead fragger. Haaa, don't worry, I'm never going to MAKE you kill someone. I don't think I could if I wanted to for that matter. I'm not going to make a murderer out of you. A killer, maybe, but not a murderer. That is a personal choice. All I needed was to know if I needed to plan to be the violent one or if that duty could be shared around a bit. I don't care either way, indeed I tend to find it more fun if I'm the only bruiser, I just don't want any more surprises then nessesary."

Selinia
2011-08-10, 12:05 AM
Luanova smiled a little bit again at that. It was a much nicer smile. "Umm... yaaaay..." She waved her arms in front of her a little in a pantomime of excitement, but the tone was more of relief.

"Umm... Tear should be reporting back soon. Tasks don't take that long in real-time. And come to think of it, everyone else should be showing up as well. And, uh... thanks. For not being afraid and stuff. Usually only doctors can do that. I guess that means that papa was right. About that, at least."

"He was always saying," Her voice took on a mock gruffness as she moved her hand like a sock puppet. "Now daughter, listen here. I've been on a lotta runs in my time, and here's something you've gotta remember if you ever have to do the same. Trust. The shadows ya' see, they like people brave enough an' crazy enough to run on in. A team is a mighty tough thing to beat, unless it beats itself first." She sighed, and resumed her usual tone. "I guess that's one tally in his favor then. Still an idiot though."

"You know, why are you running, anyway? I need medicine. You must have a reason. Its kinda dangerous, after all. Hmm... oh, I know! I'll make a deal! You tell me why you're running, and I'll tell you my most super-secret-secret. Because you decided to trust me, so I'm gonna do the same for you."

MurphysLaw159
2011-08-10, 04:31 PM
Chuckles a bit, "Something more important then your real name? Now that makes me curious."

Leans back in a relaxed position, eyes closed as if contemplating his next move.

"...a long while ago me and... trust trust trust... and my brothers were faced with a rather difficult situation. Our mother was dying in a hospital that could heal her easily if we had the money and our sister, the angel of our lives, was on the verge of giving up her dreams for ever. We reached a rather quick and unanimous decision that day; "Frag society and the corps that run it."

Eyes still closed, he smiled at the memories.

"We fought and struggled and bled and bargained for what felt like decades. In the end, our mother was cured and our sister achieved her dreams, most of us moved on to find somewhat normal and somewhat productive lives."

He leaned forward, finally opening his eyes to stare into hers.

"But me and Smiles, we were... addicted. He had the rush of being in control, of knowing and sometimes using people. Me, I had ADRENALIN. The rush of the fight, of destroying a wall and storming a room, lead flying and muzzles flashing, of besting someone in mortal combat, of snatching your own life from the jaws of death through sheer strength of muscle and will. And getting paid a king's ransom for it! When I'm on a run, I'm ALIVE, much the same way you are when your on the net."

He leans back again, relaxing a bit.

"Even if I had other skills, even if joining the herd and it's relative safety was a choice I could make... I wouldn't. If it means dying before my ork brothers, means burning out a potentially centuries long life given to me because of my elven blood, then by the One and many Gods and spirits of this world I will burn a glorious scar across the pollution filled sky before I ever allow myself to fade away."

Selinia
2011-08-11, 11:21 PM
Ada nods sagely as the elf speaks. "I think it'd be nice to have siblings. And I get what you're saying. I think I'd rather die than have to stop coming here. You know though, you need a costume! Every hero needs a costume, y'know. I could totally make one if you wanted. Let me know if you feel like it. Now... what I am about to tell you is my most secret secret." She became dead serious. "So before you go telling anyone else, I advise you to remember that I can kill you with my brain." It occurred to her that she probably spent too much time trawling pre-crash show archives.

"Traveling along DeGrey street right now, there is a blue car on autopilot. Its been driving for somewhere between eight and thirteen minutes, depending on traffic." A thin red rod materialized in her hand, which she used to indicate a point on a similarly-summoned map now spread on the table. "Its taking its occupant home from school. And that occupant is..."

The technomancer gets a rather starry expression on her face, looking a few steps further detached from reality than normal as she pulled what appeared to be a photo from what appeared to be absolutely nowhere. "Hibiki Nakamura!" She might have been unveiling a cure for HMVV for all the flair with which she slammed the photo on the table. She seemed to be rather proud of it, for whatever reason. It was a fairly ordinary picture - a boy around Ada's age with a slightly bored expression, leaning against the window of a rather nice but functional car. He was obviously Japanese, but despite his name and distinctly oriental features there were some signs that his blood might have mixed at some point, most notably the rather pale skin and vivid green eyes.

"Getting his schedule wasn't exactly easy. I think his family must be connected to the Yazuka or something, though probably not actually in it. But it was sooo worth it! Now I always know where he is!" Adalicia's avatar gave a dramatic sigh, purple pigtails curling slightly at the tips as if empathizing with her. "Isn't he like, the most adorable person you've ever seen?" She grabs up the picture again, clutching it to her chest as she spun away from the table in a sort of odd backwards pirouette that probably wouldn't be possible in a room with actual gravity.

"And he has great taste in music, and his trid view list is almost exactly the same as mine! And he's smart! And he's one of the highest ranked Wavemasters on the Seattle servers in The World! And..." It would dawn on Pugrym at some point that the girl didn't actually need to breathe, and could likely continue to extol the virtues of Hibi-chan for some time.

When you ask a fourteen-year old girl for her most secret secret, there are a number of possible answers you may expect. Perhaps that they are secretly the daughter of an Olympian deity, and the gods of old are real. Or maybe that they're a minor celebrity in some alternate universe where a dark wizard with an mispronunciation name has been meddling in major sporting tournaments. Or even that they've got a lazy bum of a dad who makes them pilot a giant robot in the employ of a cosmic clean-up service.

Or maybe a crush. Hey, not everyone can have the cool secrets.