PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Monk: Need more booze

forgot_username
2011-07-28, 09:54 PM
In a new campaign, I'm starting a monk with paizo's drunken master archtype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/drunken-master) with the drunken master prestige class thrown on top. So I need booze. Lots and lots of booze. I asked the DM and the best I'm getting is a mug that works 6x per day and takes a round to refill.

I was hoping that there might be some ideas on cheap sources of booze, and for once I couldn't find anything in the archives. 2g/bottle of wine is going to start hurting fairly quickly. I do have a bit of gold (we're starting at 8) so magic items can be a help also.

Right now the plan is to buy 5 everfull mugs and pour it into something else. I'm not sure how to keep it from spilling, though.

aquaticrna
2011-07-28, 09:57 PM
upgrade the everfull mug into an everfull cask?

forgot_username
2011-07-28, 10:42 PM
In a new campaign, I'm starting a monk with paizo's drunken master archtype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/drunken-master) with the drunken master prestige class thrown on top. So I need booze. Lots and lots of booze. I asked the DM and the best I'm getting is a mug that works 6x per day and takes a round to refill.

I was hoping that there might be some ideas on cheap sources of booze, and for once I couldn't find anything in the archives. 2g/bottle of wine is going to start hurting fairly quickly. I do have a bit of gold (we're starting at 8) so magic items can be a help also.

Right now the plan is to buy 5 everfull mugs and pour it into something else. I'm not sure how to keep it from spilling, though.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-07-28, 10:46 PM
2gp/bottle is nothing with level 8 WBL. Granted, you might have trouble transporting it, but 100 gp will buy you fifty bottles, which is the same as the number of charges in a wand. I sincerely doubt that you will use all 50 bottles in the 13 encounters that it takes to level, and 100 gp per level becomes less and less of a burden the higher your level.

Zonugal
2011-07-28, 10:47 PM
I'd say if you have room for a feat that Hidden Talent: Psionic Minor Creation could be useful for just creating booze through your own, pure will.

You could also see if a custom, psionic item of Psionic Minor Creation is allowed.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-28, 10:47 PM
There's got to be a transmute water to wine spell somewhere. It's too well-known a trick to not be.

Flickerdart
2011-07-28, 10:48 PM
An empty flask costs 3cp, so containers aren't an issue. Also, wine doesn't cost 2gp - A pitcher of common wine is only 2sp, and so is an entire gallon of ale.

ryu
2011-07-28, 10:49 PM
Alternately find a dwarf and make him hook you up... Well that's looking at it in character anyway.

Ardantis
2011-07-28, 11:06 PM
Guys, guys, guys... the answer is much simpler than that.

Take the everfull mugs... and just keep drinking.

I took a look at the Pathfinder Drunken Master, and since there were no rules as to how often the Drunken Ki pool EMPTIED, the natural solution is to just keep it full all the time!

Now, granted, this makes you into a crippling alcoholic, which will have serious ramifications for your conduct outside of combat. However, if your in-game approach to alcoholism is more Dean Martin than Bing Crosby, you could probably get away with it being pretty funny. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhoJqf9-Wk0

Happy drinking!

Unseenmal
2011-07-29, 07:53 AM
Create your own magic item similar to the Decanter of Endless Water. Except ale or wine comes pouring out. I did this once or twice in campaigns to add a little comedic value to my PCs. The Decanter is only 9000gp so to create one with anther liquid shouldn't be too hard/expensive

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#decanterofEndlessWater

There is a Create Wine spell....Genie's have it on their SLA list, according to the SRD it functions just like Create Water and it should be easily modified to work with the Decanter although it may need some fluff work since the Decanter uses Control Water, a 4th level spell and Create Wine would be a 0-level.

Just an idea

EDIT: I can't give the costs or any other details, it was the DM that made it and gave it to me on my request.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-29, 08:52 AM
Create your own magic item similar to the Decanter of Endless Water. Except ale or wine comes pouring out. I did this once or twice in campaigns to add a little comedic value to my PCs. The Decanter is only 9000gp so to create one with anther liquid shouldn't be too hard/expensive

Isn't that basically what the everfull mug already is? :smallconfused:

Necroticplague
2011-07-29, 09:43 AM
Isn't that basically what the everfull mug already is? :smallconfused:

Not quite, an everfull mug fills itself a few times a day, the item we are talking about would be infinite.

t209
2011-07-29, 09:48 AM
I know about drunken monk from Chinese series! They drink large rice wine pot amd get drunk to able to fight.
Why not just let him down a whole pot or keg like in martial arts media?

forgot_username
2011-07-29, 10:20 AM
Not quite, an everfull mug fills itself a few times a day, the item we are talking about would be infinite.

The other problem with an everfull mug is that it takes a command word to activate. I'm trying to get around doing more standard actions in combat.

forgot_username
2011-07-29, 10:24 AM

I think infinite is going to be a no-go. Apparently it's 'too easily abused' :smallmad:

Unseenmal
2011-07-29, 10:53 AM
I think infinite is going to be a no-go. Apparently it's 'too easily abused' :smallmad:

That's true but there are rules in place to handle a drunk character. There are negatives to things and saves you need to make so you don't just pass out, I think that still applies even as the Drunken Master. OR you can again modify the item to not be infinite, just so it doesn't rely on the command word/wasted action method and the lowly 3/day refills

Instead of 1 gallon per round like the original Decanter just make a modified Everfull Mug with 1 pint/round as the max it can produce and it can only produce say 10 or 20pints/day total. It will only refill when the previous bit has been drank and it doesn't spill :)

That way it's not infinite but should suit your needs on a daily basis without being wasted on command words and maybe save you some GP since the Everfull Mug is cheaper to start with than the Decanter. That should be acceptable by a DM...limit the item but still allow it to be useful.

wormwood
2011-07-29, 10:59 AM
That's true but there are rules in place to handle a drunk character. There are negatives to things and saves you need to make so you don't just pass out, I think that still applies even as the Drunken Master. OR you can again modify the item to not be infinite, just so it doesn't rely on the command word/wasted action method and the lowly 3/day refills

Instead of 1 gallon per round like the original Decanter just make a modified Everfull Mug with 1 pint/round as the max it can produce and it can only produce say 10 or 20pints/day total. It will only refill when the previous bit has been drank and it doesn't spill :)

That way it's not infinite but should suit your needs on a daily basis without being wasted on command words and maybe save you some GP since the Everfull Mug is cheaper to start with than the Decanter. That should be acceptable by a DM...limit the item but still allow it to be useful.

Sooo.... a sippy cup of bountiful booze. I like it!

Prime32
2011-07-29, 11:06 AM
Rather than the Drunken Master PrC, I'd suggest looking at PF's barbarian options. You can power two abilities with each swig.

And don't forget the Accelerated Drinker trait.

Ardantis
2011-07-30, 01:09 AM
Sounds like the item is the main thing holding you back.

Of course, in a city setting, getting your alcohol on the fly is probably more likely, especially if you foster friendly relationships with tavernkeepers and bar wenches.

Are you playing in a dungeon crawl, an overland campaign, an urban campaign, or something else?

Prime32
2011-07-30, 07:03 AM
Take a level in psion (shaper) and you can manifest ectoplasmic creation to create booze at will. Up to 1 cubic foot per level (meaning... 1 cubic foot unless you take Magical Knack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-knack) and/or Practiced Manifester), but it takes 1 minute to manifest and only lasts for an hour.

Note: 1 cubic foot of beer ~ 60 tankards.

Luckmann
2011-07-30, 10:20 AM
I'd say if you have room for a feat that Hidden Talent: Psionic Minor Creation could be useful for just creating booze through your own, pure will.

You could also see if a custom, psionic item of Psionic Minor Creation is allowed.
I can already see the members of the party going "Seriously, where does he GET all that alcohol?". :smallbiggrin:

Cieyrin
2011-07-30, 10:53 AM
The solution is fairly simple: Casks of ale cost 2 sp a piece and weigh 8 pounds. A mug weighs 1 pound, so there should be 8 mugs a cask. A Handy Haversack can carry 10 casks in the main compartment, 2 full casks and a hand cask in each side compartment, so you can carry 120 mugs of ale in your bag of booze, which only weighs 5 pounds and has the added benefit of only needing a move action to draw and you only need to draw one cask per 8 drinks. That should be enough for an adventure without having to expend feats or class levels to take care of your core class feature. :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2011-07-30, 10:55 AM
The solution is fairly simple: Casks of ale cost 2 sp a piece and weigh 8 pounds. A mug weighs 1 pound, so there should be 8 mugs a cask. A Handy Haversack can carry 10 casks in the main compartment, 2 full casks and a hand cask in each side compartment, so you can carry 120 mugs of ale in your bag of booze, which only weighs 5 pounds and has the added benefit of only needing a move action to draw and you only need to draw one cask per 8 drinks. That should be enough for an adventure without having to expend feats or class levels to take care of your core class feature. :smallsmile:

The most important thing is to have TWO Handy Haversacks on a hat, attached on opposite sides, with a long, flexible straw leading from each.

Cieyrin
2011-07-30, 11:29 AM
The most important thing is to have TWO Handy Haversacks on a hat, attached on opposite sides, with a long, flexible straw leading from each.

Beer Helmet! :smallcool:

Ravens_cry
2011-07-30, 11:35 AM
Beer Helmet! :smallcool:
Precisely.:smallamused:

Ardantis
2011-07-30, 11:41 AM
Years ago we petitioned the DM to allow us to craft a CLW helmet which would allow us to drink CLW potions as a free action.

He allowed it, and we spent the rest of the game dungeon-crawling while looking like drunk football fans with season tickets to a certain Wisoncon-based football team.

TwylyghT
2011-07-30, 02:47 PM
We actually found a Decanter of Endless Wine on an adventure once... and after we found it we were about the most useless adventurers around. Its hard to find the motivation to adventure when you already have all the booze you'll ever need!

Also, remember to avoid ever gaining poison immunity. That puts a whole nasty roadblock on the drunken master carer path lol.

Socratov
2011-07-30, 05:38 PM
maybe a great idea to play a drunken master is by demanding as a DM that every time your character drinks you (i.e. the player) need to drink too :) I could see the fun in that...

on topic: If I were you I'd go with that decanter of endless whine (or it's smaller, adjusted couterpart) and drink heavily ever after :smallbiggrin:

Ardantis
2011-07-31, 09:24 AM
DnD as a drinking game? I'm sure that's never been tried before.

But in all honesty, that would help with RP.

Socratov
2011-07-31, 12:02 PM

had an in game drinking game, and (being a pirate) lost to a barbarian, druid and cleric... damn those good fort saves... :smallmad:

Cieyrin
2011-07-31, 12:10 PM
had an in game drinking game, and (being a pirate) lost to a barbarian, druid and cleric... damn those good fort saves... :smallmad:

You haven't seen Fort save (to a lesser extent, Will save) till you've seen a Dwarven Barbarian/Deepwarden with Steadfast Determination and Reckless Rage. 'That meal was poisoned? I thought that was just the spices. Could I have seconds?' :smallbiggrin:

Socratov
2011-07-31, 12:13 PM

that it's been done before doesnt mean it isn't fun/cool to do :smallsmile:

I guess fort saves could look as bad as they come :)

rogue74656
2014-07-15, 02:22 PM
I know this thread is old, but maybe someone can use these:

1) "Vineyard's Unending Bounty" is a Wineskin of holding

This wineskin appears to be a normal item of its type. It's magic becomes apparent when the owner tries to fill it. Like a bag of holding, the liquid placed in the skin goes to an exra-dimensional space. This one-gallon skin can hold up to 10 gallons of water, wine, beer, or other liquid.

2) "Alcohol Anytime" is an Everfull Mug (modified)

This mug has 100 slots. When a new liquid is poured into the mug and consumed, it takes up the next empty slot.
On command (free action) the mug will fill (1 round) with the commanded liquid (assuming it is on the list), which can be referenced by name or number.
Sixty seconds after a liquid leaves the mug, it becomes normal water (thus preventing selling it).

-->Note that while the imbiber *tastes* the alcohol, it turns to water before it can have any real effect!

-->This item is to be used in an upcoming campaign, given to the "Drunken" monk by his superiors without telling him the water part, who want to show him that his abilities are his own, not the product of alcohol consumption.