View Full Version : [PF] Gestalt bard help?

Drelua
2011-07-28, 10:33 PM
No one in my DnD group has ever played a bard before, but I've gotten interested in it lately. All I've really got so far is that I'll take Eldritch Heritage (from ultimate magic), probably for the stormborn bloodline (APG).

Any other ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help; keep in mind that my group is extremely low-op, so I don't need the best mechanical choices. Oh, and my DM is open to just about any 3.5 content.

Silva Stormrage
2011-07-28, 11:02 PM
Well personally I love Dread Necromancer so I am going to suggest that. It synergizes incredibly well with bard.

Cha Based
Infinite Out of Combat Healing With a Feat (Tomb Tainted Soul from Libris Mortis)
Decent Cha Based Spell List with bard's spell list helping it out OOC.
Lots and lots of minions means that your inspire courage is going to affect ALOT of people. You can get the requiem feat (Libris Mortis) and have it boost all your undead.
If you awaken your undead army you can have a band following you :smallbiggrin:.

Dread Necromancer is also Tier 3 so it shouldn't overpower too much.

Though I have to ask... low op playing gestalt? I have never heard of that before.

gkathellar
2011-07-28, 11:13 PM
You'll want to go something with high Charisma synergy.

If you can get your DM to relax alignment restrictions (or you take Devoted Performer from Complete Champion, I think), then PF's paladin is an excellent choice. You'll get tons of buffing and low-power casting, charisma synergy all over the place, good skills, excellent saves and good melee skills. (A singing paladin is really cool, to boot.) That would be my first pick.

Others:

True Necromancer is good, although fairly specific of archetype.

Warmage and Warlock aren't terribly powerful, but as that's not a concern, you might consider either to add some blasting power.

Wilder might be interesting, but again — very specific flavor.

Drelua
2011-07-28, 11:24 PM
Though I have to ask... low op playing gestalt? I have never heard of that before.

We have a small group, sometimes as small as 3 people including DM, so we recently started doing gestalt to cover more roles in the group.

And I just had a thought; I always play a melee character, so how about a swashbuckler/invisible blade? (I updated the swashbuckler to PF, made it a bit more powerful) The feinting will provide some charisma synergy, I guess. Could this work?

ImperatorK
2011-07-28, 11:28 PM
If you can get your DM to relax alignment restrictions (or you take Devoted Performer from Complete Champion, I think), then PF's paladin is an excellent choice.
PF Bards can be Lawful.

Drelua
2011-07-29, 02:06 AM
PF Bards can be Lawful.

Hmm...I hadn't realized that...I could make a gestalt monk/bard with the ascetic mage feat from complete adventurer, probably only a few levels of monk though. I have this image in my head of a monk singing 'war' by James Brown while simultaneously flying kneeing a guy in the chin muay thai style.

On another note, (Who says puns are the lowest form of humour?) could bardic performance be used while raging? I am terrible at making up my mind...

ImperatorK
2011-07-29, 02:16 AM
On another note, (Who says puns are the lowest form of humour?) could bardic performance be used while raging? I am terrible at making up my mind...
No. PFSRD is clear on that:

While in rage, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Drelua
2011-07-29, 02:22 AM
No. PFSRD is clear on that:

That seems arguable to me. Does it take patience to sing? No, but concentration? I don't know...it is a free action to maintain bardic performance. Now I'm picturing screamo and a greatsword. So many choices!

Edit: I felt like an idiot when I realized that you meant the perform check, not the part about patience or concentration. But then I looked in the core rulebook and noticed that not all types of bardic knowledge performance use a perform check, so would my options just be more limited, or would I still be unable to use it?

ImperatorK
2011-07-29, 02:20 PM
Bardic Knowledge doesn't use Perform checks.

gkathellar
2011-07-29, 02:26 PM
I think he means Bardic Knowledge.

Bard//Monk: probably not such a good idea. Their synergy is pretty bad.

Drelua
2011-07-29, 02:36 PM
Bardic Knowledge doesn't use Perform checks.

Sorry, I meant bardic performance

Bard//Monk: probably not such a good idea. Their synergy is pretty bad.

I was just thinking of a 3 level dip into monk with ascetic mage (CAdv) for the AC and the bonus feats, plus the speed bonus for ride the lightning from greater eldritch heritage, and maybe some invisible blade, since they get INT to AC when wearing no armour, and taking some swashbuckler for insightful strike. Could this work? I've never even thought of a build that complicated, so I'm a little lost here.

Paul H
2011-07-29, 02:51 PM
Hi

Bard 5/Dragon Disciple xxx?

Thanks
Paul H
PS Check out Heirloom Wpn trait.