PDA

View Full Version : Frozen wild shape

BIGMamaSloth
2011-07-29, 12:27 AM
I'm going to be playing a druid in my friends campaign and Found the feat (which I consider to be a gem) from frostburn "frozen wild shape". It lets you take the form of magical beasts with the cold subtype except you don't get any of there extraordinary or supernatural abilities. does anyone have any good suggestions for cold subtype wild shapes?

P.S. I'm going to be level 9 so anything large or smaller would be best.

Circle of Life
2011-07-29, 12:30 AM
Twelve-headed Cryohydra.

That is all.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-07-29, 12:32 AM
but what that also is, is huge, and inaccessible to anyone until level 15.

Circle of Life
2011-07-29, 12:34 AM
Well, you didn't forbid people from mentioning higher level options, and that's about as good as they come for frozen wildshape. Really, I was just beating people to the punch and letting them come up with the actual ideas. :smallwink:

Alleran
2011-07-29, 04:59 AM
Twelve-headed Cryohydra.

That is all.
This pretty much justifies the entire feat, to be quite honest.

Dream_Merchant
2011-07-29, 05:34 AM
try a chraal from MM3 STR 21 CON 20 and natural armor +8

Gnaeus
2011-07-29, 07:03 AM
I am a big fan of Urskan from Frostburn.

Advantages include good stats, all relevant magic item slots, and the ability to speak in wild shape. Especially good if natural spell is banned. Since they are a humanoid shaped race, you may even be able to walk around big cities in that form.

Also, you get to be an armored bear from The Golden Compass.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-07-29, 11:15 AM
try a chraal from MM3 STR 21 CON 20 and natural armor +8

Chraal is an elemental, Frozen Wild Shape only allows magical beasts with the cold subtype.

Get Combat Reflexes and Robilar's Gambit, take the form of a 12-headed Cryohydra, and make a 12-bite AoO every time you're attacked.

Shadow Lord
2011-07-29, 11:20 AM
I agree with those who posit that the most efficient and deadly form you might be able to transmogrify into is indeed that of the subspecies of the standard Hydra-kind, whose name is an amalgamation of the original word combined with a separate and cold-related word, being cryo.

That was fun. And yes, you should become a Cryohydra, cause those things go rawr and then bite people.

Perryy
2011-07-29, 11:40 AM
To add to the CryoHydra madness. Take the feat, Assume Supernatural Ability: Breathweapon (SSp). You are now doing 36d6 cold damage.

Shadow Lord
2011-07-29, 11:43 AM
Isn't there some supernatural ability that boasts the potentness of your bites? Take that one! And then go RAWR! And bite stuff!

BIGMamaSloth
2011-07-29, 01:05 PM
ok then, sounds like cryohydra is a pretty good plan. what book is assume supernatural ability from?

Piggy Knowles
2011-07-29, 01:22 PM
Savage Species. But just a word of warning - you know how whenever people mention that some book is full of broken crap, and people come back and say something to the effect of, "Actually, the most broken book in 3.5 is the PHB..."?

They're wrong. It's Savage Species. Friends don't let friends allow Savage Species in their games.

Gavinfoxx
2011-07-29, 02:04 PM
Why not just go all out with the wild shaping feats? Be a Wild Shaping MASTER!

Natural Spell
Exalted Wild Shape
Dragon Wild Shape
Multiattack
Improved Natural Attack
Frozen Wild Shape
Assume Supernatural Ability

Rossebay
2011-07-29, 03:34 PM
Savage Species. But just a word of warning - you know how whenever people mention that some book is full of broken crap, and people come back and say something to the effect of, "Actually, the most broken book in 3.5 is the PHB..."?

They're wrong. It's Savage Species. Friends don't let friends allow Savage Species in their games.

Or Leadership. Hahaha.

But, Cryohydra is definitely your best bet. Cold subtype creatures aren't too common.

If Cryohydra gets boring, try Frost Worm for some lulz?

Piggy Knowles
2011-07-29, 04:18 PM
Or Leadership. Hahaha.

Yeah, Leadership's pretty cool, I guess. You know what's also cool? The ability to permanently change your race to any other race, gaining all of its racial features, without gaining LA or racial Hit Die, with a single casting of a 9th level spell. Because, you know, Shapechange was a little too tame.

But yeah, Savage Species. Don't do it. Guys, the picture on page 10 shows a velociraptor wielding a longsword. This is a sign that things are about to get silly.

Anyhow, there aren't a ton of Magical Beast (Cold) monsters out there that are significantly better than the animals you could already turn into, until you go up to Huge. The Hoary Steed gives you Str 22/Dex 18, +10 natural armor, and a pretty good Fly speed, I guess.

Once you get huge, though, it's all about the cryohydra. The frost worm sounds cool, but without the trill or breath weapon, it's actually a pretty sub-par creature. It doesn't even get a cool Swallow Whole ability like the other worms!

Darrin
2011-07-29, 04:38 PM
Hmm... while cryohydra is obviously awesomesauce on toast, Huge isn't available until much later, and there's not a whole heckuva lot HD-wise between Winter Wolf (6HD) and the huge magical beasts. Here's what I found:

Whitespawn Iceskidder (9HD, MMIV). Large, Str 27, Dex 10, Con 18, NA +8

Frost Salamander (12HD, MMII). Medium, Str 11, Dex 15, Con 12, NA +5, 4 claws + bite

Hoary Steed (12HD, SRD/ELH). Large, Str 22, Dex 18, Con 17, NA +10, Speed 40', Fly 90' (good)

Piggy Knowles
2011-07-29, 04:44 PM
Oh yeah, it's also worth pointing out that the Hoary Steed has some pretty bangin' natural attacks - 3d6 hoof and 5d8 bite, not too shabby for a large creature. That's one serious horse. I was thinking that it would primarily be good for a defensive/spellcasting form, but that's not exactly terrible offense, either.

Prime32
2011-07-29, 05:12 PM

They're wrong. It's Savage Species. Friends don't let friends allow Savage Species in their games.Except that Savage Species is technically 3.0 :smalltongue:

Piggy Knowles
2011-07-29, 05:21 PM
Except that Savage Species is technically 3.0 :smalltongue:

Details, details :P

Gullintanni
2017-04-17, 05:10 PM
Details, details :P

D&D 3.5: The game of infuriatingly relevant details.

eggynack
2017-04-17, 05:32 PM
Hmm... while cryohydra is obviously awesomesauce on toast, Huge isn't available until much later, and there's not a whole heckuva lot HD-wise between Winter Wolf (6HD) and the huge magical beasts. Here's what I found:

Whitespawn Iceskidder (9HD, MMIV). Large, Str 27, Dex 10, Con 18, NA +8

Frost Salamander (12HD, MMII). Medium, Str 11, Dex 15, Con 12, NA +5, 4 claws + bite

Hoary Steed (12HD, SRD/ELH). Large, Str 22, Dex 18, Con 17, NA +10, Speed 40', Fly 90' (good)
Yeah, the list on the feat is really close to complete. Frost salamander is explicitly listed, and the iceskidder is pretty low impact, making the steed the big addition to the existent list. However, there's one other creature that's oddly missing from the list, given that frostburn specifically notes MM II stuff, and that's the asperi, a creature likely absent due to it not showing up as cold on the monsters by type and subtype list for that book. Seems to maintain that subtype in the MM II update too, so it's apparently fair game. Cool thing about is is wind immunity, natural and magical, as an extraordinary special quality. Pretty solid pickup through enhance wild shape.

jdizzlean
2017-04-17, 05:42 PM
you know, a cryohydra would be a really good option later on, i'm surprised no one suggested that yet :amused:

Vizzerdrix
2017-04-17, 05:55 PM
you know, a cryohydra would be a really good option later on, i'm surprised no one suggested that yet :amused:

Dude. Just let it go. :smallbiggrin:

BananaNomNom
2017-04-17, 05:59 PM
has anyone considered simulacrum?

Zephonim
2017-04-17, 06:59 PM
I'm going to be playing a druid in my friends campaign and Found the feat (which I consider to be a gem) from frostburn "frozen wild shape". It lets you take the form of magical beasts with the cold subtype except you don't get any of there extraordinary or supernatural abilities. does anyone have any good suggestions for cold subtype wild shapes?

P.S. I'm going to be level 9 so anything large or smaller would be best.

If you take frozen wildshape your better off doing it as a Master of Many Forms. Awesome wild shaping PRC but the best entry is Wildshape Ranger 5. You can still do Druid but the main issue is you lose your spellcasting.

But master of many forms is so fun.

But yeah master of many forms can turn into a Cryohydra at level 12. Or... if you have the skin of kaletor you can do so at level 8.

It's pretty much the only reason to take frozen wildshape

Zephonim
2017-04-17, 07:01 PM
Why not just go all out with the wild shaping feats? Be a Wild Shaping MASTER!

Natural Spell
Exalted Wild Shape
Dragon Wild Shape
Multiattack
Improved Natural Attack
Frozen Wild Shape
Assume Supernatural Ability

Uh... isn't dragon wild shape an epic feat?

Also you forgot aberration shape has a prerequisite of aberration blood but **** it you can turn into a beholder and then use assume supernatural ability to shoot laser beams out your eyeholes

Edit: Oh god i didn't see that this was a necro

Necroticplague
2017-04-17, 07:06 PM
Uh... isn't dragon wild shape an epic feat?

There are two feats with that name. One of them is, the other isn't.

Vaz
2017-04-17, 07:07 PM
D&D 3.5: The game of infuriatingly relevant details.

Did you really Necro a 6 year old post to post that?