PDA

View Full Version : Iron Chef Side Dish Special: Well Known Characters I

BobVosh
2011-07-29, 01:34 AM
Welcome, contestants, judges, and guests to Iron Chef Side Dish Special: Well Known Characters I. Here in Optimization Colosseum, contestants will endeavor to create a functioning D&D with a character from fiction as a "Secret Ingredient".

Contestants: You will need to present your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Menu: For most challenges, the "special ingredient" will be drawn from from my memory or coworkers that I randomly ask. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that are requested via PM.

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in elegance and/or power.

Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em.

Cooking Time: Contestants will have until 11:59PM GMT on Sunday, August 14th, 2011 to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman, BobVosh. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying. Judges will have until 11:59PM GMT on Sunday, August 28th, 2011 to judge the builds and submit their scores. If no judges have scored by that point, only the scores of the first judge to submit will be counted.

Judging: Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Representation of Character, Power, Elegance, and Originality.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavor for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic loss of one point per flaw in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, will lose you points.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries!

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.NAME OF ENTRY
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

3rd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

4th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

5th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

6th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

8th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

9th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

10th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities [/table]

CodeNAME OF ENTRY
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

2nd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

3rd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

4th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

5th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

6th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

8th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

9th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

10th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
[/table]

For entries with spellcasting, use the following table for Spells per day and Spells Known. (Spells Known only if necessary, i.e. Sorcerer or Bard, but not Wizard or Warmage)
Spells per day/Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

CodeSpells per day/Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

[/table]

For other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.

Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

Leadership is banned; we're producing a mealside dish, not a seven-course banquet for a hundred diners.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for as many contestants and judges as feel like playing!

This week's special ingredient is:

Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series.

The honorable mention prize is given to the most daring or unexpected build. Judges, contestants and guests alike are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM. If someone is kind and beautiful inside we will have trophies, however I have no artistic bone in my body so I can't do this.

Allez optimiser!

Judges
BillyBobJoe
ShneekeyTheLost

Contestants
Zonugal
term1nally s1ck
Groverfield

The Builds

Past Competitions
None yet :D

It was surprisingly difficult to come up with a character that would be possible in several ways, hasn't been done a lot (E.G. Batman) and is even possible in D&D (E.G. Superman). Any suggestions on how to change the judging categories would be excellent as I feel originality doesn't really express too much when each person is going for the same end result through hopefully unique routes.

Zaq
2011-07-29, 01:36 AM
Huh. Didn't see that one coming.

I'll be keeping an eye on this. If there's actual interest and inspiration strikes, I might enter. Pity that so many of Snake's tricks come from gadgets, when Iron Chef historically frowns on relying on magic items . . .

Otacon17
2011-07-29, 01:47 AM

I'll be keeping an eye on this. If there's actual interest and inspiration strikes, I might enter. Pity that so many of Snake's tricks come from gadgets, when Iron Chef historically frowns on relying on magic items . . .

Ah, but luckily, a cardboard box isn't magical :smallwink:

BobVosh
2011-07-29, 01:48 AM

The cowboy one inspired me, I wanted to see how I could change it and make it work. This is attempt one (out of hopefully one :D)

kardar233
2011-07-29, 01:50 AM
This is the Iron Chef? Hmm... pretty tasty.

Working on an Idea. With a Capital I. And a Capital C.

There's no C in idea. Where am I going with this?

Oh yeah. I like this. Count me in. I'm not entirely sure how to work with that level table thing; can someone point me to a tutorial?

BobVosh
2011-07-29, 01:55 AM
This is the Iron Chef? Hmm... pretty tasty.

Working on an Idea. With a Capital I. And a Capital C.

There's no C in idea. Where am I going with this?

Oh yeah. I like this. Count me in. I'm not entirely sure how to work with that level table thing; can someone point me to a tutorial?

Obviously the IC is intellectual content. In the spoiler beneath the graph is the code. Basically copy and paste, replacing "class level" and "+x" with whatever you got.

Zonugal
2011-07-29, 03:58 PM
I have been wanting to develop Solid Snake for a while now.

Oh yes, perhaps I will have time this upcoming week.

It shouldn't be too difficult to create one of the world's greatest soldiers/spies...

Oh No....

BobVosh
2011-08-01, 11:24 PM
So anyone interested in judging?

Also just bumping :D

term1nally s1ck
2011-08-03, 04:09 PM
Subscribing. May well compete.

Groverfield
2011-08-03, 04:15 PM
I'll bite; I'll have a dish up for you sometime...

OMG PONIES
2011-08-03, 04:39 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Metal Gear Solid. This is my first Iron Chef (and subsidiaries) spectating since I began back in Round IX. Anyone know if Prinny's new official round is posted yet?

BillyBobJoe
2011-08-03, 04:41 PM
I'll judge, I guess.

flabort
2011-08-03, 08:05 PM
The most I know about Snake is whats on Brawl.
I wouldn't be able to compete anyways, but atleast this way I feel justified.

However, I like this idea of making well-known characters. Any idea of what characters are coming up in future rounds?

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-03, 10:27 PM
Count me in! I've got an idea already...

BobVosh
2011-08-03, 11:32 PM
The most I know about Snake is whats on Brawl.
I wouldn't be able to compete anyways, but atleast this way I feel justified.

However, I like this idea of making well-known characters. Any idea of what characters are coming up in future rounds?

Unsure, I have a few thoughts kicking but haven't decided yet. Feel free to PM me suggestions.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-03, 11:36 PM
We don't have any judges yet... I'm willing to be a judge instead if there's a distinct lack of them close to the deadline, and retract my entry...

BobVosh
2011-08-04, 12:14 AM
We got 1, but ya I hear you.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-04, 12:51 AM
We got 1, but ya I hear you.

In fact, strike that, just make me a judge. I've had something drop in my lap, I won't be able to compete. Sending you the notes I had, though, since it's worth a chuckle. Maybe release it after judging is finished...

BobVosh
2011-08-07, 11:17 PM
Seven days...
*creepy voice from the Ring movie*

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-09, 05:50 AM
Any suggestions on how to change the judging categories would be excellent as I feel originality doesn't really express too much when each person is going for the same end result through hopefully unique routes.

Power is kind of a misnomer as well, because some characters just aren't 'powerful'. I mean, Solid Snake is pretty good at what he does... sneaks in, snipes, but in straight-up combat... he's 'par' at best. I mean, a bunch of low-level henchmen mooks can take him down fairly easily, assuming they know he is there. I mean... sure, you could build a character who could wade through a room full of mooks easy enough, but that's not very descriptive of Solid Snake.

BobVosh
2011-08-09, 11:31 PM
I've been thinking on how to fix this. Still haven't come up with anything. Anyone got a suggestion?

OMG PONIES
2011-08-10, 06:37 AM
I say to let power stand. It should be a measure of how good the character is at what he does: sneaking and sniping, in this case. Measuring a rogue's power in straight-up combat would be just as unfair as measuring the strength of a wizard's unarmed strike.

If judges believe a character to be TOO powerful, they have the option to deduct points. In this side dish, the question becomes "is the build at least as powerful as the character it represents?" I think it's still a fine category to have, as long as the comparison is between the build and the character represented.

Boci
2011-08-10, 07:38 AM
Power is kind of a misnomer as well, because some characters just aren't 'powerful'. I mean, Solid Snake is pretty good at what he does... sneaks in, snipes, but in straight-up combat... he's 'par' at best. I mean, a bunch of low-level henchmen mooks can take him down fairly easily, assuming they know he is there. I mean... sure, you could build a character who could wade through a room full of mooks easy enough, but that's not very descriptive of Solid Snake.

Which leads to an important question: Are we making Solid Snake, or a D&D 3.5 representation of what his character?

BobVosh
2011-08-10, 05:14 PM
No matter how you make it, wouldn't it be a 3.5 representation? I'm confused as to what you are asking.

BobVosh
2011-08-13, 07:05 AM
Tomorrow is cut off. Still haven't gotten any submissions, hope we will. :(

Prime32
2011-08-13, 01:58 PM
No matter how you make it, wouldn't it be a 3.5 representation? I'm confused as to what you are asking.It's harder to sneak up on people in D&D than MGS, due to so many things having weird senses. Copying Snake's skills exactly would make him unqualified for his job.

Boci
2011-08-14, 12:57 PM
It's harder to sneak up on people in D&D than MGS, due to so many things having weird senses. Copying Snake's skills exactly would make him unqualified for his job.

Pretty much. Also the power level. Have CR is D&D Snake suppose to reliable kill. Creatures with a CR equal to his level? That is some major optimization? Mooks? That's trivial after level 5.

BobVosh
2011-08-15, 01:15 AM
Either way, no one submitted.