PDA

View Full Version : Multiple attacks questions.

Bloodgruve
2011-07-29, 10:34 AM
Looking for some clarification on working with multiple attacks. I'm currently working with a TWF psionic guy and a Druid. I have some questions regarding what I can do.

1 TWF psionic guy. Has the TWF feat and using a light offhand weapon. Believe this gives me -2/-2 attacks. BAB is currently +4. If I gain a bite attack what would my full attack look like?

2 Druid. If I wild shape into an animal with claw/claw/bite/tail attacks how do I calculate the attack bonus's and can I make all the attacks as a full attack? Does wild shape allow all primary attacks to be at full hit bonus and all secondary at -5? Also, as a standard action can I only make a single attack with a primary or can I make all primary attacks? Would these attacks be calculated using my BAB+Str in wildshape?

3 Finally, Garillon's Blessing (SC) druid buff gives an extra set of arms and 4 claw attacks, states that the attacks are made at full bonus. Is this true for the recipient or will they make attacks with negatives?

TYVM for your input,
Blood~

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-29, 11:08 AM
1 TWF psionic guy. Has the TWF feat and using a light offhand weapon. Believe this gives me -2/-2 attacks. BAB is currently +4. If I gain a bite attack what would my full attack look like?

+2/+2/-3 bite, or +2/+2/+0 if you have multiattack (though that would require more natural attacks than you say you have).

2 Druid. If I wild shape into an animal with claw/claw/bite/tail attacks how do I calculate the attack bonus's and can I make all the attacks as a full attack? Does wild shape allow all primary attacks to be at full hit bonus and all secondary at -5? Also, as a standard action can I only make a single attack with a primary or can I make all primary attacks? Would these attacks be calculated using my BAB+Str in wildshape?

Your primary attack would be at full BAB+whatever modifiers, and all secondaries would be at -5 (or -2 if you had multiattack, but not all DMs would allow you to take it if you only qualify while wildshaped). You can only full attack as a full round action, so a standard action would still only give you one attack. And yes, it would use your BAB plus your wildshaped strength score.

3 Finally, Garillon's Blessing (SC) druid buff gives an extra set of arms and 4 claw attacks, states that the attacks are made at full bonus. Is this true for the recipient or will they make attacks with negatives?

This one I'm less sure of, cause I don't have Spell Compendium, but it seems like the claws would become the primary attack of whoever has the spell effecting them, so no penalty.

Bloodgruve
2011-07-29, 12:17 PM
Much appreciated!

Blood~

Darrin
2011-07-29, 12:45 PM
This one I'm less sure of, cause I don't have Spell Compendium, but it seems like the claws would become the primary attack of whoever has the spell effecting them, so no penalty.

Yes, all four claw attacks are grouped together as a "primary" attack with no BAB penalty.

The spell effect explicitly says the claws can't be combined with a "normal weapon", but doesn't specify if "normal" refers to manufactured weapons or other natural/primary attacks. Odds are pretty good it refers to a manufactured weapon, but it's not clear how the claws might interact with other natural weapons (check with your DM). Per the Rules Compendium, however, all primary natural attacks can become secondary attacks (-5 attack penalty, 1/2 Str bonus on damage). If you already have a primary natural weapon, such as a bite, you could move that to a secondary attack and your attack progression would look something like:

claw +2/claw +2/claw +2/claw +2/bite -3

(You could also keep the bite as a primary at +2 and move the four claws to secondary at -3, but your chances of hitting are not nearly as good.)

If the druid's wildshape form already had two claw attacks, then most likely they would be "overlapped" by the four claws from girallon's blessing.

Keld Denar
2011-07-29, 01:49 PM
My Miniguide. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10994.0)

And The Dark Fiddler is actually wrong about the way TWFing interacts with natural weapons. If your attack bonus is +4, and you are TWFing, you'll have an attack bonus of +2/+2 after penalties. If you add a bite, your attack progression will be +2/+2/-1, not +2/+2/-3. TWFing penalties ONLY affect your mainhand and offhand attacks, of which a secondary natural bite is neither. One of the reasons that natural attacks are so good is that they are independant of nearly everything you are doing with the rest of your body.

Everything Darrin mentioned is correct though.

Bloodgruve
2011-07-29, 02:29 PM
The mini guide is very informative, TY.

Another question, can you make sneak attacks with natural weapons if you have the class ability. For example is a rogue with Garillon's Blessing gaining 4 natural claw attacks able to sneak attack with each at her max hit bonus?

TYVM

Blood~

Keld Denar
2011-07-29, 02:34 PM
Yep yep! Every attack that qualifies for SA gets SA. If you have 50 attacks/round and each of them qualifies for SA (flanking the foe or foe is denied his dex), you get to SA 50 times. You can SA equally as well with a natural weapon as you can with a manufactured weapon. If you don't believe me, ask a Babau. They SA people with their claws all the time. One of the things that makes a Kobold such a good Rogue is that at level1, they have potentially 3 attack/round from Claw/Claw/Bite, while everyone else only has 1-2 (with TWFing).

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-29, 08:27 PM
And The Dark Fiddler is actually wrong about the way TWFing interacts with natural weapons. If your attack bonus is +4, and you are TWFing, you'll have an attack bonus of +2/+2 after penalties. If you add a bite, your attack progression will be +2/+2/-1, not +2/+2/-3. TWFing penalties ONLY affect your mainhand and offhand attacks, of which a secondary natural bite is neither. One of the reasons that natural attacks are so good is that they are independant of nearly everything you are doing with the rest of your body.

Ah, right you are. Had a bit of a brain fart, forgot that the actual BAB for that build was +4, not +2, since I'm not used to combining TWF and natural attacks. Thanks for picking up my slack, Keld.