PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion Stacking

gkathellar
2011-07-29, 12:04 PM
How exactly do ranger levels stack with druid levels for Animal Companion purposes?

In the PHB, the Animal Companion sidebar reads, "The druid’s class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to an animal companion for the purpose of determining the companion’s abilities and the alternative lists available to the character."

Does that mean ranger levels count as half a level each as they usually do? Or do you add your full ranger level to your full druid level?

Reprimand
2011-07-29, 12:10 PM
Yes, every second ranger level would count as one for the purposes of stacking with your druid levels for your companion.

hobbitkniver
2011-07-29, 05:07 PM
Yes, every second ranger level would count as one for the purposes of stacking with your druid levels for your companion.

Yeah, that's how I would interpret it too. So if you had a ranger 4/ druid 4, it'd be level 6. Why exactly would you want to make a druid/ranger though? They seems so similar that with fluff, they could be almost the same thing.

gkathellar
2011-07-29, 06:03 PM
Yeah, that's how I would interpret it too. So if you had a ranger 4/ druid 4, it'd be level 6. Why exactly would you want to make a druid/ranger though? They seems so similar that with fluff, they could be almost the same thing.

I'm working on a very specific build wizard/druid build, and was pondering the Unearthed Arcana ACF that lets a wizard trade in their familiar for a half-level animal companion, ala the ranger.

TwylyghT
2011-07-29, 07:19 PM
I have been considering a Wizard/Druid myself. I am not certain what build you are going for, but if your open to advice, you could keep the familiar class feature and go for Arcane Hierophant from Races of the Wild. You can use the Natural Bond and or Theurgic Bond feats to reclaim the lost companion advancement.

You get to advance spell casting for both classes each level, advance your wild shape, and not only do you get to make your animal companion your familiar, but its levels stack to advance both. Getting to use the pet as the origin point for your spells is quite handy too, I picture a T-Rex rampaging through a field of orcs, burping up fireballs and farting lightning.

Anyhow, back to the original question, as with the ranger, your total levels for animal companion by default would be Druid level + 1/2 Wizard level with that ACF.

gkathellar
2011-07-29, 08:38 PM
I have been considering a Wizard/Druid myself. I am not certain what build you are going for, but if your open to advice, you could keep the familiar class feature and go for Arcane Hierophant from Races of the Wild. You can use the Natural Bond and or Theurgic Bond feats to reclaim the lost companion advancement.

You get to advance spell casting for both classes each level, advance your wild shape, and not only do you get to make your animal companion your familiar, but its levels stack to advance both. Getting to use the pet as the origin point for your spells is quite handy too, I picture a T-Rex rampaging through a field of orcs, burping up fireballs and farting lightning.

Anyhow, back to the original question, as with the ranger, your total levels for animal companion by default would be Druid level + 1/2 Wizard level with that ACF.

I'm aware of Arcane Hierophant, but as the build calls for exploiting Prestige Ranger + Sword of the Arcane Order instead of actual dual-progression casting, I'm just taking a one-level dip to grab Companion Familiar. Still, thank you for reminding me of Theurgic Bond! That should ease things a bit.

TwylyghT
2011-07-30, 01:44 AM
I'm aware of Arcane Hierophant, but as the build calls for exploiting Prestige Ranger + Sword of the Arcane Order instead of actual dual-progression casting, I'm just taking a one-level dip to grab Companion Familiar. Still, thank you for reminding me of Theurgic Bond! That should ease things a bit.

oooh thats a neat idea too, i'll have to have a peek at it. :smallsmile:

Reprimand
2011-07-30, 08:33 AM
There's also the Natural Bond feat that I neglected to mention, it adds 3 to your effective druid level.

Coidzor
2011-07-30, 01:08 PM
Also, the first level of Beastmaster gives a boost of 3 to effective level for the animal companion as well as being a level that progresses animal companion in and of itself.

dextercorvia
2011-07-30, 03:47 PM
It won't help you, but I read it the other way. Druid explicitly stacks class levels of other classes that grant AC, rather than stacking with effective druid levels. So if you have a Druid AC, then your Wizard levels will add to that rather than grant you a half strength AC. I know that I'm in the minority on this, but I think that the Druid text is fairly clear.