PDA

View Full Version : Early entry tricks for arcane trickster?

Zombimode
2011-07-29, 01:45 PM
Simple question: are there any ways to lessen the entry requirements on the arcane side of the arcane trickster? I mean less then 3 levels of wizard?

And in general: whats your favorite entry for the "rogue" side?
My first plan was rogue1/ninja1 and then wizard, but I like ninja3. I think Ghoststep is a rather neat ability.
Thoughts?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-29, 01:51 PM
You're looking at a trap. Now, what you really want is an Unseen Seer. Get in, get out, get on your way. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240.0)

gkathellar
2011-07-29, 01:55 PM
Stolen from the Rainbow Servant handbook on Brilliant Gameologists. Do it with a single wizard/sorcerer level:

-Eldritch Corruption gives you free heightening by two levels. Slap that baby onto a first level spell, and waltz right in. Better be undead, though, or the heavy taint requirement will wind up costing you.
--Since almost all undead get a free feat under taint rules, this is really easy for necropolitans.
-Or be a human and spend four feats on Earth Sense, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell, and Earth Spell.
-Or be any race, and spend three feats on Versatile Spellcaster, Heighten Spell, and Sanctum Spell

Keld Denar
2011-07-29, 02:27 PM
Yea, Unseen Seer is one of the best routes for getting into Arcane Trickster (although Unseen Seer is, by itself, a better PrC than AT). You can get into Unseen Seer as a Rogue1/Wizard4, and get into AT as a Rogue1/Wizard4/USS1.

In core only, the best entry is Rogue1/Wizard5/Assassin1/AT10, but that requires you to be an evil bastage.

Zombimode
2011-07-30, 02:17 AM
Thanks everyone :smallsmile:

In the end I've settled for human Rogue1/Wizard3/Ninja1/Arcane Trickster3.
This build is for an level 8 NPC, so while other builds may be better overall I found this works best for level 8.
Arcane Trickster 3 is awesome, and with 3 SA dice + craven he deals enough damage against a level 3 or 4 party (yes, he is meant to be a "very hard" encounter).

AxeD
2011-07-30, 02:28 AM
Thanks everyone :smallsmile:

In the end I've settled for human Rogue1/Wizard3/Ninja1/Arcane Trickster3.
This build is for an level 8 NPC, so while other builds may be better overall I found this works best for level 8.
Arcane Trickster 3 is awesome, and with 3 SA dice + craven he deals enough damage against a level 3 or 4 party (yes, he is meant to be a "very hard" encounter).

You need to able to cast 3rd level arcane magic, meaning you need to be at least a 5th level wizard.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-30, 03:43 AM
You need to able to cast 3rd level arcane magic, meaning you need to be at least a 5th level wizard.

Which is what early entry tricks (see: thread title) are for.

Luckmann
2011-07-30, 04:24 AM
Yea, Unseen Seer is one of the best routes for getting into Arcane Trickster (although Unseen Seer is, by itself, a better PrC than AT). You can get into Unseen Seer as a Rogue1/Wizard4, and get into AT as a Rogue1/Wizard4/USS1.

In core only, the best entry is Rogue1/Wizard5/Assassin1/AT10, but that requires you to be an evil bastage.

Or an Avenger instead of Assassin?