PDA

View Full Version : Convincing people to play?

randomhero00
2011-07-29, 03:17 PM
So me and another player are willing to play. We're trying to decide how to get back 2 other players (that have time) that are semi busy/lazy.

Any tricks or something?

gkathellar
2011-07-29, 03:20 PM
Ask nicely?

You can't "trick" people into playing or make them play. Either you make your Diplomacy check or you don't.

randomhero00
2011-07-29, 03:21 PM
lol diplomacy...

but forgot to say, they said they wanted to play, but then have been mostly silent/making excuses not to meet. you know the type.

any help?

Knaight
2011-07-29, 03:28 PM
lol diplomacy...

but forgot to say, they said they wanted to play, but then have been mostly silent/making excuses not to meet. you know the type.

any help?

Yeah, they were being diplomatic. They almost certainly don't actually want to play, and only stated that they did to not offend. Search elsewhere for players.

Vladislav
2011-07-29, 03:32 PM
If it's really important to you, you can try and force the issue by setting a game on a day and time when you know they will be free, and just announcing, "we're meeting <day> at <time>".

There's a chance of about 10% to break the impasse this way, but a chance of about 90% that they genuinely don't want to play, and this will just lead to an embarrasement for everyone.

Tengu_temp
2011-07-29, 04:05 PM
Invite them to your house for "free pizza". Lay out RPG books in pizza boxes on the table in your living room. Lock the door when they arrive. Make this face when they discover the truth:
http://0.i.blip.tv/g?src=AngryJoeShow-AngryJoeInterviewsXCOME32011NewDetails714.jpg&w=300&h=169&fmt=jpg

Lord.Sorasen
2011-07-29, 07:22 PM
It's not worth it. People who say they can play but make excuses week after week are probably just trying to be nice about it. Or they want to play, but would rather do anything else at all more. Meaning, they put you on the bottom of their priority list.

I'd look for new players. Do you go to school still? If so, ask some of your non-D&D friends. You'd be amazed how many people want an opportunity to play.

Tyndmyr
2011-08-01, 09:06 AM
Ask nicely?

You can't "trick" people into playing or make them play. Either you make your Diplomacy check or you don't.

Bluff, duh.

dsmiles
2011-08-01, 11:53 AM
Cook for them?

Mastikator
2011-08-01, 11:33 PM
People who are busy are already doing something else that probably is important.
People who are lazy will probably show up late and not put effort into the game.
Don't bother with them, instead ask them if they know anyone who are both willing and able.

Laura Eternata
2011-08-03, 03:29 PM
I have to second Lord.Sorasen's opinion; if they don't seem to want to play, don't bother with them. If you look to your other friends instead, you might be surprised by some of their reactions.

Invite them to your house for "free pizza". Lay out RPG books in pizza boxes on the table in your living room. Lock the door when they arrive. Make this face when they discover the truth:
http://0.i.blip.tv/g?src=AngryJoeShow-AngryJoeInterviewsXCOME32011NewDetails714.jpg&w=300&h=169&fmt=jpg

Poor Other Joe... :smallwink:

Gnaeus
2011-08-03, 03:47 PM
Been there. From my college friends who were too sick to come play WoD with us but not so sick that we couldn't watch them playing frizbee golf through the window, to my stoner friends who admitted that they couldn't come to the D&D game because a new MMO expansion was out and they were in a good leveling group. :smallfurious:

You probably can't fix it. Find additional gamers.