PDA

View Full Version : Home rules for familiars 3.5e

Larzzral
2011-07-29, 06:16 PM
I am looking to start a game, and a player had a lot of questions about familiars. What works, what does not. From what I can tell, there is a lot of DM deciding, to be done, and so I am looking for some help as to whether the following would work. Myself and those I have interested have played little-no pnp, but as we cannot find a vet to assist us, we are taking the plunge on our own, so please be gentle!

Firstly, these are the feats that I have found, that affect the familiar's abilities (but not deciding what the familiar itself is) and that I see should just be taken as they are.

-Bonded Familiar (PH2)
-Combat Familiar (PH2)
-Enspell Familiar (DM280)
-Extra Familiar (DM280)
-Familiar Concentration (LEoF)
-Familiar Spell (Und)
-Lurking Familiar (PH2)
-Spell-linked Familiar (PH2)
-Token Familiar (DM280)

Now with those out of the way, here are the remaining feats, and how I plan on inplementing them.

-Obtain Familiar
You can summon any Animal or Vermin to be your familiar. Its CR must be less than 1 and its size is less then that of the caster's.

-Improved Familiar (Requires Obtain Familiar)
You can now summon Magical Beasts as familiars. Its maximum CR is based on caster level. At level 1- CR 1, at level 3- CR 2, at level 5- CR 3, at level 7- CR 4, at level 9- CR 5. The familiar's size can now equal that of the caster's.

-Greater Familiar (Created) (Requires Improved Familiar)
You can now summon more powerful familiars, at higher levels. At level 11- CR 6, at level 13- CR 7, at level 15- CR 8, at level 17- CR 9, at level 19- CR 10. The familiar's size can now be one size larger than the caster's.

-Abherrant Familiar (Created) Improved Obtain Familiar)
You can now summon an aberration as a familiar.

-Construct Familiar (Requires Improved Familiar)
You can now summon a construct as a familiar.

-Draconic Familiar (Requires Improved Familiar)
You can now summon a dragon as a familair.

-Elemental Familiar (Changed) (Requires Improved Familiar)
You can now summon an elemental as a familiar.

-Fey Familiar (Created) (Requires Improved Familiar)
You can now summon a fey as a familiar.

-Planar Familiar (Requires Improved Familiar)
You can now summon an outsider as a familiar.

-Undead Familiar (Requires Improved Familiar)
You can now summon an undead as a familiar.

-Celestial Familiar (Changed) (Requires Improved Familiar)
You can now add the Celestial template to a new summoned familiar. (Good or neutral aberration, animal, dragon, fey, magical beast, vermin) Adding the Celestial template raises the summoned creature's CR by 2.

-Fiendish Familiar (Changed) (Requires Improved Familiar)
You can now add the Fiendish template to a new summoned familiar. (Evil or neutral aberration, animal, dragon, fey, magical beast, vermin) Adding the Fiendish template raises the summoned creature's CR by 2.

-Compromising Familiar (Created) (Requires Obtain Familiar)
You can now summon a familiar without alignment restrictions.

As we are starting at low levels (probably between 1-4) most of the feats won't be an issue for some time. I am hoping having it set up this way, will bring some clarity to what I find to the rather vague information on familiars.