PDA

View Full Version : Peanor, a 20th level Gestalt adventure

noparlpf
2011-07-29, 08:50 PM
Hey there, and welcome to my first game as a DM.

First, the rules:
0. I reserve the right to invoke Rule Zero and to set down other rules as they become pertinent. I will try not to abuse Rule Zero.
0.5. I am going to type in green in future posts because I like the color.
1. I'm going to be making my own dice rolls with physical dice. Maybe even with a DM's screen between the computer and myself. It will make me feel special.
2. You will make rolls on this, the IC thread, using the Playground's dice roller.
3. a. Knowledge houserule: For untrained Knowledge checks only, you add half your ECL (10 at the moment) to your roll, along with your Int modifier and any miscellaneous modifiers that may apply.
3. b. Nitojutsu/Lightning Mace houserule: Nitojutsu does not make all attack rolls count as automatic threats. It increases your threat range to 2-20 (a nat 1 is still a miss). If you roll a 2 and 2+your attack modifier doesn't overcome AC, you don't hit, as per the critical hit rules on page 140 of the PHB.
Lightning Mace functions on a crit threat if you are not using Nitojutsu or any similar effect that makes all attacks auto-threats. When using any effect that causes all attacks to be treated as auto-threats, Lightning Mace only applies to a confirmed critical.
4. a. I would like to start off with daily posting.
4. b. I will try to stick to a schedule of posting between 9 PM and 12 AM daily (Massachusetts time). You should post between 12 AM and 8 PM. During combat, please only post during your own initiative count unless you take an attack of opportunity, an immediate action, or a readied action.
5. I will keep track of everybody's hit points during combat in my posts.
6. Don't worry too much about healing. NPCs will be made available to deal with that.

I'm going to give a brief synopsis of the world as it currently stands.

You're a group of like-minded individuals (like-minded enough to be able to enjoy one another's company at times, anyway) stepping to the cusp of immortal greatness. All that stands between you and legends for all of time, not to mention power everlasting, is the rest of the world. It is definitely a mess. There are other 'chosen' individuals out there, of a similar bent as yourselves who are not nearly as like-minded and wholly more selfish and havoc-wreaking. Competition isn't quite what one would call the others who pit themselves against you...demonic scourges of every foul plane to ever exist is still a light term that doesn't fully grasp their 'splendour'. These sentient beings aren't necessarily from the lower realms either. Let's just say these 'foes' run the gambit in terms of walks of life. And unfortunately they don't seem to be lining up to be taken down. Needless to say, the past few months have been 'interesting'.
We're going to go with that kind of idea.

The world you're in is called Peanor. It's on the Material Plane. (I might draw up a world map, maybe not. That would definitely help me with my ideas, anyway.) The world as it currently stands is somewhat divided. The various magical races, including most fey, are collected into one faction, and most humans form the other. Of course, there are myriad other groups and powerful individuals*, but these are the two largest. The humans are spreading out and attempting to drive out the fey and magical races from the Northern continent, and the fey are withdrawing into the Southern and (stereotypically, haha) Western continents. Although there is still a good amount of magic around in human lands, there is a push to eliminate magic; hence the recent wars.
*Many of these groups and individuals are of a chaotic bent and wish to gain personal power. They're SillyBee's "other chosen".
(Over the next four or five generations, magic is quite nearly eliminated from human lands on the Northern continent. There is a large human military force occupying the westernmost portion of the Southern continent, keeping the magical races at bay. Magic will remain strong in these military settlements for another few hundred years, slowly dwindling until the next war, when the nonmagical humans and their technology sweep in to eliminate magic once and for all; at least, that's what they hope. But this won't effect you all.)

After you've read everything else, read this. Then you can post.
So, the three of you are currently travelers. Where you're going and why are up to you. You recently (earlier this day) met on the road.
Introduce yourselves, describe your physical appearances, and describe one or two deeds you have done which have given you some degree of notoriety and fame. (Role-play for a bit. Get to know each other in character. I'm leaving where things go pretty open-ended and up to the party.)

OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11526085#post11526085)

noparlpf
2011-07-29, 08:54 PM
Map:
http://i54.tinypic.com/sy1lxk.jpg
First I had to redraw it because the existing copy was too light. Then I found out that my grandmother's scanner sucks. Then I found out that my brother doesn't have anything better than MS paint on his laptop. (Mine is in for repairs.)
So yeah. Sorry for the fairly low quality. I have a better map, but the scanner won't pick up the image. This is a rough sketch. I'll look into ways to get a better one up.

A brief history:
Current year: 002 since the end of the Fey Wars.

When the world came into being, the gods populated it with various races. First came the immortal races, such as the killoren and leshay, along with many species of plants, animals, and magical beasts. The long-lived yet mortal dragons were among the first sentient mortal races. Hundreds of years passed, and the gods brought into being the mortal races, such as elves and dwarves. Many years later, after the various races had taken up their own places in the world, the short-lived mortals, including humans, were brought into the world.
For hundreds of years, the various races lived in relative peace. Humans, with their adaptability and high rate of reproduction, quickly began to become the dominant race, despite their relative racial “youth”. Under the tutelage of some of the older races, they quickly gained knowledge of magic and of the simple technology which had been developed. However, many humans found magic to be a strange and mysterious force, and preferred to work with the dwarves and gnomes to further technological advancements.
(The current state of technology in Peanor is roughly equivalent to the technology between the 6th and 12th centuries on Earth.)
There are several large human nations, all monarchical. See the map of the northern continent.
About twenty years ago, the rulers of Setland and Thenya formed an alliance with the goal of taking control of the continent and ousting the “magical races”. Setland had developed a way to negate magic within a limited range, and this was their primary weapon. They gained the support of Valvenes, Kharu, and Sadak, and began to mobilize their armies soon after. Largely due to their greater numbers, they quickly began to drive the other races out of their traditional lands. Those who could escape did, setting sail across the sea to the other continents. Those who did not escape were killed or put in chains and taken south in large caravans, then shipped across the southern sea and abandoned at the edge of the southern desert. (I didn’t include the other two continents on the map here.) All those that could be removed were.
Some dwarf settlements in the mountains remain, and still trade with the Uduneans. Small enclaves of sylvan races remain in hiding in the deepest parts of the forests, and some subterranean races also managed to escape, unreachable by the armies of Man. The vast Northern forest remains a haven for many nonhumans, and the people of Jazen, which remained out of the wars, sometimes trade with them. Occasionally small groups of powerful nonhumans surface in attempts to strike back, but they are usually defeated or at least held back by the greater numbers of humans.
Now, it has been two years since the wars ended. Human society has spread to cover much of the land, cutting and burning down forests to create new farmlands and to build their houses. They have retained a sizeable military force, generally stationing a sheriff or two in each of the smaller towns and villages and placing a small garrison of guards in each of the larger cities. Roads, however, are left largely unpatrolled because there has not yet been enough highway robbery to necessitate it, and the spaces between settlements are rarely patrolled because human arrogance has left the nations’ leaders feeling that they have successfully driven out their “enemies”.

Knowledge check results:
History
10+ You know about the recent wars (they were kind of hard to miss) and that before the wars, there was relative peace, although the humans kept mostly separate from the nonhumans in Setland and Thenya.
15+ You know that the humans won the wars in part because of their antimagic devices. You also know that humans are considered a "young race".
20+ You know that the human race only came into being about a thousand years ago, and that they quickly multiplied and began to take on a dominant role on the continent. You also know that much of the humans' early technology was given to them by the dwarves, gnomes, and similar races, hastening humans' technological advancement by a few thousand years; similarly, much of human knowledge was taught to the burgeoning race by other races, hastening their advancement by hundreds or thousands of years.

Nobility and Royalty
10+ You've heard of Emperor Garren of Setland and of King Rurik of Thenya, and know that they started the Fey Wars.
15+ You know the names of the kings of the other eight countries. [If you insist upon it, I'll dig up their names or name the as of yet unnamed ones. They're not incredibly pertinent right now. It's up to you as players; otherwise they'll come up as they become more pertinent.]
20+ If you've heard of Mereberg, you know that its mayor's name is Reynald. [I'll have you make separate checks for different towns; since you're near this one now, you would have heard of its mayor.]

Geography
10+ You know what country you're in and have a general idea of where other countries are.
15+ You know what country you're in and that the city by the lake to your west is called Mereberg. You know the names of the other countries and where they are in relation to Setland.
20+ You know that map pretty darn well.

Local
10+ You know of the North Road, and you know that the town to your west is somewhat important, but you can't remember what it's called.
15+ You know that there's a guardhouse at the fork where this road splits into the North Road and the road to the local village. You know that the town to your west is called Mereberg.
20+ You know that Mereberg is an important industrial center and that it facilitates trade and travel to and from the western half of the empire by its ferries and ships on the lake.
25+ You've also heard of the local village that you're approaching, and know that its residents are mostly shepherds and weavers.

druid91
2011-07-29, 09:29 PM
Walking at the back of the group is Jankoto, the massive humans frame nearly double that of his companions. He runs a strangely clawed hand through his brown hair and laughs. "So either of you know where to find a good battle? People keep running up the white flag whenever I show up, Ever since I helped out with that bunch of elves. They had giant eagles too, Oh and that dragon! Most fun I've had in a long time. I got at least 400 of them, but only about 5 were worth the time." He looks thoughtful for a moment "They fought well though, truly a credit to their people. If I hadn't been there I'd say they probably would have won." He flexes his wings through tears in his long sleeved white coat and sighs. "Man that was fun... So what have you guys done? Anything fun?"

Randomguy
2011-07-29, 10:10 PM
Niten smiled at the front of the group. Even though he looked more human than the giant behind him, one would have to be colour-blind to mistake him for nonmagical, for he was completely colourless, from his light grey skin to his jet black hair, marking him as a denizen of the plane of shadow. Even his monk's robes where grey: all the clothes he owned was, because any bit of colour on him served only to make him look less natural.
"Yes, I heard about that. A little bird told me. So you helped the elves? Were you exiled, along with the other magical creatures?

druid91
2011-07-29, 10:21 PM
Jankoto grins, "No, I just followed an army like I always do. Find an army and follow them till they stop. Then start walking again till I find another one. Unfortunately ever since that noone will fight if I'm there. So I've been looking for something new to do since."

He holds out a massive hand to the other man, "My names Jankoto, What's yours?

Randomguy
2011-07-29, 11:34 PM
Niten shook the large hand with his own, smaller, colourless one. "I am Niten."

druid91
2011-07-29, 11:47 PM
"So where are you headed Niten?"

GuyFawkes
2011-07-30, 02:22 AM
The other figure in the group walked silently as the two started their introductions. The man stood as high as the monk, and would pass off for a normal human were it not for his long, silver hair and golden eyes and sometimes, if one would try to observe him closely, the aura of protective light wrapping his entire body. He has on a black cloak covering his whole body, and a wide conical hat. He took his strides with relative ease, as if just matching his pace with the others.

The man was called by many names. The bringer of light, the vanguard of justice, the white-haired bane of evil. Some have even gone so far as proclaim him as a saint. By merits of his life's work, he has certainly attained sainthood, but he did not like being called so, and he certainly did not like the attention. People knew of the saint who roamed the lands ridding it of evil, but nobody was certain what he looked like, and thus nobody would know they were looking at the famed saint had they perchance met him face to face. And he doubted these two had any idea who he was.

He prodded along with the others, keeping an ear on their conversation and not talking unless spoken to.

Randomguy
2011-07-30, 12:13 PM
"I am heading north. There is a small forest there, in the human lands, that was sacred to druids and fey, before they were driven out. It is rumoured that in that forest there is a temple where it is possible for one to achieve enlightenment. " Niten frowned suddenly, thinking.
"I suppose I'll figure out how to convince the humans to let me into their lands in the first place when I get to there.

And you, my golden-eyed friend?" Niten turned, addressing the silver-haired man. "Where are you headed?"

druid91
2011-07-30, 12:36 PM
"I could always ask them very nicely to let you pass. If you'd like." Jankoto says, one hand resting on his sword hilt.

GuyFawkes
2011-07-30, 02:45 PM
Seeing the one called Niten addressing him, he replied. "Nowhere in particular. Where my services would be needed I guess. Perhaps you could use my assistance as well? I could take care of our passage through the human lands if we ever meet some problems. And without being too nice," directing the last sentence towards the other one named Jankoto and gave a small smile as he did so.

Randomguy
2011-07-30, 03:28 PM
Niten smiled again. "Hopefully it won't come to that, but I would be glad to have both of you along in case it does. Thank you, Jankato and... I'm sorry, what did you say your name was again?" He turned to the other man.

GuyFawkes
2011-07-30, 03:40 PM
The golden-eyed man chuckled and clarified his remark, "No, no, you misunderstand. I meant it as sarcasm, seeing Master Jankoto here meant to use his sword to resolve the problem. I prefer to exhaust all means before resorting to that." He smiled, then added with a slight bow, "And you can call me Mugen."

druid91
2011-07-30, 04:04 PM
Jankoto grins, "A sword, or fear of one, can do a lot Mugen and if you get lucky you also get a good fight in. Though if you'd rather, we could just skip the border altogether, I doubt there is anyone worth battling that's been left as a border gaurd. And I learned a few tricks that could help with that."

OOC
We could always use a Psionic teleport. If someone can describe a nearby location to Jankoto well enough that he could transport.

noparlpf
2011-07-30, 04:24 PM
Right now, you're walking in a general northward direction on an old road paved with stones. It's wide enough for several humans to walk abreast, or for two wagons to pass each other without difficulty. It looks as though it has been kept in good repair for many years, but the recent wars have caused many things to fall into disrepair, including this road, and grass is beginning to grow in between the stones; here and there some of the stones have tumbled out of place. Away down to the west, a vast lake is visible, and on a spur of land jutting into the lake a large human settlement is visible. To the east, you see sprawling green fields and pastures, sparsely dotted with copses of trees and low stone walls. The occasional farmhouse is visible. You're at the top of a long, winding range of hills near the center of Great Setland, one of the North Continent's dominant powers.
As you approach a bend in the road, you notice a large, rounded stone set at the edge of the road. On the side facing the road, it says, in Common:
Farmingham 2 miles ==>
<== North Road 1.5 miles
Off towards the north-east, you see a few thin trails of smoke rising, as from the chimneys of a small village.

Check out the second post, I updated it with a general overview of the world and some other neat things.

Randomguy
2011-07-31, 01:14 PM
Niten thought for a moment. "Unless either of you have powers to disguise yourselves and me, or perhaps large thick overcoats for me and Mugen with a spell to shrink Jankato, we should avoid the lakeside town at the moment. We'd cause a riot at the very least in a large town, but a small town might be more accepting, if only due to fear." Niten voiced his thoughts. "Unless.. I suppose if either of you know the way north well enough, we could just head up to the north road.

druid91
2011-07-31, 05:17 PM
Jankoto stops to think for a moment... "Well, the way I see it, we could go in all quiet, Or we could just walk into the gaurdpost up ahead and say we're considering joining up, Defecting I think it's called. They believe it and we get into the city, they don't we knock 'em out and go back to sneaking.

noparlpf
2011-07-31, 11:34 PM
Sorry I'm late in getting this up. It should definitely help.

Just a rough sketch of the area.
http://i54.tinypic.com/i5dwra.jpg

GuyFawkes
2011-08-01, 12:22 AM
Mugen offered what he knew of the area. "Hmm, well, from what I recall the village to the north east is a small village made up of shepherds and weavers. I believe the people there a fairly superstitious, so I doubt we would be very welcome there. But nothing a few carefully chosen words won't resolve, especially with those kind of folks."

"That one is Mereberg, a bustling port. Fairly industrialized," pointing to the city to the west. "If you are in a hurry, we could skip these human settlements altogether and just follow the road north. Otherwise I could help with convincing them to at least let us in should you wish to go to one of these villages."

Randomguy
2011-08-01, 02:18 AM
I say we go to Mereburg. We're more likely to find a halfway decent Inn there and I'll be damned if I spend one more night eating trail rations and sleeping in the dirt. Besides, I am in no particular hurry.

GuyFawkes
2011-08-01, 07:47 AM
Mugen nodded in assent. He was fine going anywhere, and there certainly would be someone who could use his help in the city. "And you, Master Jankoto?"

druid91
2011-08-01, 12:16 PM
"Sounds good to me, though I should warn you... most people are uneasy around me..

OOC: Jankoto has a frightful presence anyone not equal to or greater than himself in HD has to save against. DC 10+ 1/2 Character level+ Char mod.

So DC 23 to avoid being shaken for 1d6+3 rounds if he attacks or charges.

noparlpf
2011-08-01, 09:53 PM
To reach Mereberg, you have to cut across the open country; there isn't a road directly connecting Farmingham and Mereberg.
The residents of Farmingham generally trade with the residents of Ashford, the nearest town to the north, which has a business in ironworking. The hills to the north turn rockier and enough iron deposits were found to warrant opening mines, around which the town developed. From there, merchants transport some of Farmingham's products to Mereberg.
It's early afternoon now. Cutting across the country to Mereberg will take you a few hours; it's about ten miles in a straight line.
//I figure that if I can walk eight miles in two hours on paved roads in a hilly area, three adventurers should be able to cover ten miles of rough terrain in around two hours, considering your lowest land speed is half again mine.

GuyFawkes
2011-08-02, 02:34 AM
"Ha ha, I'm sure they would be. Now, there doesn't seem to be a road leading to Mereberg from here. What say we just take the direct rout through here?" pointing across the plains and hills that lay between them and the city. "I gather we will arrive there well before the sun sets."

druid91
2011-08-02, 06:54 PM
Jankoto bursts into movement flying low over the the wild landscape. And with a grin says.
"Enjoy your time cutting through all that brush!"

noparlpf
2011-08-02, 07:16 PM
//Oh right, he can fly. Well, between the two of you who are land-bound, your lowest movement speed is 100 ft, which is 2.5 times greater than my movement speed. If you stick to Jankoto's fly speed of 80 ft, which is twice my land speed, you should be moving at about eight miles an hour, barring any obstacles (of which there are a few; it's not entirely open pasture). I'd call it an hour and forty minutes to two hours.
//By the bye, any statements I make preceded by '//' are OOC. Yes, I consider "narrator" to be a character. And yes, I did program in Java for a while. Why else would all of my "comments" be in green?

GuyFawkes
2011-08-02, 11:20 PM
"Ha ha, What an impulsive fellow," he spoke to himself, then looking at Niten for confirmation. Turning back to Jankoto, he shouted, "Just remember to walk the last few miles. Wouldn't help us if the humans from the city saw a giant flying towards them," and smiled. Turning back to Niten again, he asked. "Well then, shall we move our feet, Master Niten? Or are you capable of flight and wish to take up into the air as well?"

Mugen can also fly but he figures the news of three beings flying towards a human city wouldn't help ease their entry into said city and chooses to walk. :smallwink:

Randomguy
2011-08-03, 12:34 PM
Niten shrugged. "We can both walk faster than Jankoto can fly. No sense in panicking the townspeople any further." And he set off after the flying giant.

noparlpf
2011-08-04, 09:08 AM
//Sorry I'm so late posting. I came down with a fever last night and went to bed around 8 PM.

//I take it that Mugen follows?

You pick your way down the ridge to the more level ground below and begin to make your way towards the city, soon catching up to Jankoto. The land slopes gently down from the hills to the water. The terrain consists mostly of grassy fields, with occasional patches of trees or brush. Every so often you pass a dirt track, a wooden fence, a few grazing cows or sheep, or some other sign of civilization, but you meet no humans.
After about an hour and a half of walking, you can see the bend in the South Lake Road about half a mile away, and the city about two miles beyond that.

GuyFawkes
2011-08-04, 10:54 AM
After more than an hour of walking, Mugen noticed they were close to the road that traced the side of the lake and led to the city. "We should use the road from here. It would make us less...conspicuous," he opined.

Hey man, it's okay. Health is top priority. Hope you're feeling better now.

Randomguy
2011-08-05, 12:11 PM
Niten thought for a moment before replying. "I don't think that would matter too much. Travelers cutting across the road can't be too uncommon. Besides, it would be hard for us to be any more conspicuous than we are now, wouldn't it? But I wouldn't say no to speeding up our journey with some magic or the like, if either of you can cast spells. "

GuyFawkes
2011-08-05, 12:58 PM
"Hmm. You are right. Ha ha ha! But perhaps it'd convince Master Jankoto to walk when we go by the road?" smiling after he spoke and turned to face the giant, waiting for him to catch his hint before turning back to Niten. "And unfortunately I do not possess such abilities that would make our travel faster."

druid91
2011-08-05, 08:09 PM
Jankoto lands, sending up a small spray of dust, and tucks his wings safely in his coat.
"I can use psionics. We could teleport but it would probably be safer to just walk. We could end up in any similar city across the continent."

GuyFawkes
2011-08-05, 10:39 PM
"Yes, no need to take the risk. We are almost there."

noparlpf
2011-08-05, 11:23 PM
As you close the last half mile between you and the road, you see that there are several pedestrians and a few wagons or carts heading towards the city; most of the outbound traffic disappeared south hours ago. None of the humans on the road appears to be a guardsman, and few are armed. However, it's safe to assume that most of them adhere to the superstitious, human-only mentality of the land.
It occurs to you that it's likely that there will be at least a couple of guards at the city gates, and that you'll have to get past them with either diplomacy or stealth if you want to get into the city peacefully.
How do you continue?

//If you guys cause a stir in the city, be aware that there's a sizable city guard. This is a pretty big city, and since it's a gestalt world I'm debating whether to make guardsmen gestalt or whether to simply increase the maximum highest level for a single-classed city guardsman. After all, many of these men fought in the recent wars.

Randomguy
2011-08-06, 12:17 PM
"I can get us past security by teleporting us through the wall" said Niten, quietly enough so that only his two friends would hear. "But if they hand out proof of entry papers at the gate, then we might have some trouble in the city. "

GuyFawkes
2011-08-06, 12:51 PM
"Let us just go through the gates. I will try to talk to the guards if they have a problem with us entering and hopefully change their mind."

Randomguy
2011-08-08, 06:59 PM
"If you're sure." replied Niten, sounding doubtful. "But if things turn ugly, then both of you grab on to me and I can get us in the city."

druid91
2011-08-10, 10:38 AM
Jankoto sighs impatiently "Alright Come on then!"

And starts running for the gate.

noparlpf
2011-09-04, 12:15 PM
Geez, I'm really sorry it's been so long. I meant to get things going again as soon as I got back to school and had internet again, but it's been a hectic first week, which included one trip to the hospital for a mild concussion.
Anyhow, I'd like a minimum of one post a day now if possible, preferably more.

As you make your way down the last stretch of field to the road, a few of the farmers and craftsmen on the road notice the approaching party. As Jankoto's size and appearance become more evident, a few break into a run away from the city. One or two try to hide in the bushes or behind their carts. A donkey gallops away, pulling its cart and driver. None attempt to challenge you.
You near the city walls. They are about 40' high, with watch towers at intervals, and are set with a large double gate 15' wide and 20' high. Guards armed with halberds are visible patrolling the walls, and ballistae are visible atop the watch towers.
Two men wielding abnormally long halberds stand at the gate, one on either side of the road. They are wearing long chain shirts and have long swords strapped at their sides. A third, slightly older man sporting a similar set of equipment stands just inside the gate near a guard station where two men are checking the entry passes of a short line of travelers. The older man seems to have the air of an experienced fighter.
As you approach to a distance of about 30', the two guardsmen tighten their grips on their weapons. The one to your right, a tall, brown-haired man with a short beard, hails you.
"Halt, strange travelers. What brings you to our city?"

GuyFawkes
2011-09-04, 07:02 PM
Mugen walked a bit forward before stopping, then replied with a smile. "Greetings, sir! We are humble travelers on our way to the north, and having spent the few nights before on the road, are weary and tired. We would like to take this good timing of reaching this town to spend the night in a cozy bed in one of your inns and enjoy good food, maybe a drink or two."

Alright! Let's kick this thing up to speed! Not sure I need this right off the bat but in case I do, my diplomacy rolls:
[roll0]

druid91
2011-09-04, 10:53 PM
Jankoto grins "I'm just here to make sure these two little guys don't get hurt."

noparlpf
2011-09-06, 11:23 AM
The bearded guard hesitates for a moment and turns towards the older man, who nods slightly. The guard turns back and says, "Very well. Just keep an eye on your big friend. You would do well to keep a low profile. Many of the citizens still panic at the sight of any creature with a nonhuman appearance, assuming they're here to start trouble. You'd think we had outlawed being nonhuman, not just engaging in magic. If you step this way, you can sign in and get an entry pass." He gestures towards the guard station inside the gates.

GuyFawkes
2011-09-06, 11:44 AM
"But of course. We are peaceful travelers, nothing to worry about. Thank you," he replied with a smile and a slight bow before gesturing his two companions towards the other guard, then walking forward. He was glad this turned out very smoothly, for he hated unnecessary conflicts, especially with innocent townspeople, however broken their sense of security may be.

After he finished signing up and received his entry pass, he asked the quard a question. "Say, any recommendations as to where we could find a good lodging in this lovely town of yours, sir?"

Randomguy
2011-09-07, 02:33 PM
"And if you could point us to the nearest place where we could get a map of the town, it would be much appreciated." said Niten, as he signed in and took his pass.

But Niten didn't completely trust the guard. Could he be lying in an attempt to lure them into the town so that they couldn't escape?
I'm making a sense motive check, to see if the bearded man is lying because the older guard told him to or if he's trustworthy.

1d20+30

noparlpf
2011-09-08, 11:16 AM
@Niten:
As far as you can tell, the bearded guard was just checking with a superior officer because he was unsure how to handle the situation.

The guards at the guard station are both younger and look less experienced. The one serving you, a clean-shaven blonde man, proffers a book where you each write your name and purpose in the city. He requests a toll of five silver pieces each, and then hands you each a small, lacquered rectangle of wood a few inches to a side, stamped with an image of the city in the center, the name of the city in bold above the image, and the words "Proof of Legal Entry" below the image.
At Mugen's query, he answers, "If you follow this road one block, turn right, and then make a left at the next corner past the jail, you'll find a decent inn with reasonable prices. There are fancier ones further into the city in the wealthy district, and cheaper inns on the south end of town."
In answer to Niten's request, he replies, "Until recently, we had a map of the city hanging on the wall here." He gestures towards the side of the building. "Unfortunately, we had to remove it due to graffiti. It's currently being refurbished. If you can wait a moment I'll sketch a basic map for you." He quickly draws a simple map and hands it to you.
http://i51.tinypic.com/2nvyzno.jpg
So I ended up redrawing most of it in MS Paint anyway. The scanner didn't work, even though I drew everything really dark. Poo.

GuyFawkes
2011-09-08, 12:43 PM
As soon as the necessary transactions were finished, Mugen thanked the guards for their assistance and led the others in walking into the city. As soon as they were out of earshot, he turned to the other two. "That went well," he said with a smile. "Why use magic when you can use words, eh? So now the hard part is over, what do you gentlemen want to do?"

Randomguy
2011-09-08, 03:08 PM
Niten looked up from the map that the guard drew, which he had been studying."Any towns taverns are worth visiting, but I'd like to visit the central tower first. What could be so important about it that the whole town was built around it, or that it was built in the center of the town? It's not too far out of the way. "

GuyFawkes
2011-09-08, 09:29 PM
"Hmm, now you've said it, I've become quite curious as well." Mugen tried to look at the direction of the central tower. "So, shall we?"

druid91
2011-09-11, 07:18 PM
Jankoto, obviously a bit on edge in town nods.

"Sure, why not."

GuyFawkes
2011-09-18, 02:03 PM
"It's decided then. Off to the tower we go, gentlemen."

As Mugen started to walk towards their destination, he noticed Jankoto tensing up a bit. "Relax, we'll be fine," he said with a smile.