PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Dorukan and Lirian... (Start of Darkness Spoilers)

TheMac04
2011-07-29, 09:35 PM
Towards the end of SoD, Xykon traps Dorukan and Lirian's souls in a gemstone, keeping them trapped in their, supposedly, forever. My question is, is this going to be brought up again? On the one hand, it would be pretty sad for the ultimate fate of these two to be trapped inside their forever, with no hope of escape. On the other hand, if, say, they were to be freed from the stone during the final battle or something and helped the Order out, it would feel like a total ass pull to anyone who HASN'T read the book, which the Giant has said that he would never do (see On the Origin of PCs introduction).

Personally, I would like to see them freed at some point near the end of the comic's run. Just a quick moment, showing that they escaped somehow and were able to make it to the afterlife. Because that's how it should be dammit! :smallfrown:

FujinAkari
2011-07-29, 09:38 PM
Towards the end of SoD, Xykon traps Dorukan and Lirian's souls in a gemstone, keeping them trapped in their, supposedly, forever. My question is, is this going to be brought up again? On the one hand, it would be pretty sad for the ultimate fate of these two to be trapped inside their forever, with no hope of escape. On the other hand, if, say, they were to be freed from the stone during the final battle or something and helped the Order out, it would feel like a total ass pull to anyone who HASN'T read the book, which the Giant has said that he would never do (see On the Origin of PCs introduction).

What Rich -actually- said was that he wouldn't put anything in the main comic which -required- you to have read a prequel book to understand.

We can note he does, frequently. use things in the prequel books, like Bozzak and Crystal for example, or Durokan's Headband to cast Cloister.

TheMac04
2011-07-29, 09:41 PM
True, but if it was actually made an important plot point, in this PARTICULAR case, it would seem completely ridiculous if you haven't read the book. Of course, this is only speculation, because there might be a way to handle it so that it makes sense and seems logical to people who haven't. I don't know, I haven't written an 800 page fantasy epic before.

twinkletoes
2011-07-29, 10:38 PM
Well, maybe one of the Order (Probably Belkar, as it would fit in with his death sentence) will get trapped with them and the other Order members will figure out a way to allow their souls to go into the afterlife. It wouldn't matter if you haven't read SoD because Belkar (Or one of the other order members) would ask who they are and everything would be explained.

NerfTW
2011-07-29, 11:29 PM
True, but if it was actually made an important plot point, in this PARTICULAR case, it would seem completely ridiculous if you haven't read the book. Of course, this is only speculation, because there might be a way to handle it so that it makes sense and seems logical to people who haven't. I don't know, I haven't written an 800 page fantasy epic before.

There's nothing stopping him from explaining it in the comic before doing anything with it. It doesn't just have to be "Oh, hey, these two are free now!". He can bring it up any number of ways, including simply having Tsukiko ask about it. (Or Girard could bring it up if he somehow knows, but that's unlikely, given Dorukon didn't know.)

Whiffet
2011-07-30, 12:42 AM
I think the gem was probably destroyed and the souls freed. If not when Roy threw Xykon into the Gate, then it would be when the whole castle exploded. Now, if the gem regenerated with Xykon, that's the only way I can see it still being around.

zimmerwald1915
2011-07-30, 12:46 AM
Why do they need to be freed at all? They've played no role in the story so far, and the only thing they can do to advance it is to tell the Order how to reseal the Rifts and rebuild the Gates, information that does not need to come from them, and could only be of use during the epilogue, after Xykon is defeated (if he's defeated).

MoonCat
2011-07-30, 12:50 AM
I think the gem was probably destroyed and the souls freed. If not when Roy threw Xykon into the Gate, then it would be when the whole castle exploded. Now, if the gem regenerated with Xykon, that's the only way I can see it still being around.

He was holding it when he cast Cloister on Azure City. Whihc was after one gate zap and both exploding castles.

factotum
2011-07-30, 02:09 AM
He was holding it when he cast Cloister on Azure City. Whihc was after one gate zap and both exploding castles.

No he wasn't. He was holding it in the panel where he says Dorukan's headband is either "a lame hippie hairband, or the material focus for the most powerful abjuration spell ever", which was a flashback panel presumably set shortly after he defeated Dorukan--he certainly isn't holding it when he casts Cloister himself. (He actually has his crown in his hand when he does that).

(Strips #484 and #532, for reference).

Kish
2011-07-30, 09:09 AM
Introducing the gem to begin with would be utterly pointless if it was just going to be destroyed offpanel and never referenced again.

Is it impossible that it was destroyed offpanel in a way that will be referenced? No, but it's still not the way to bet. I expect to see the gem again.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-30, 11:04 AM
I am expecting Dorukan to be freed, but only after Xycon has been dealt with and the order are working out how to seal up the gates again.

TheMac04
2011-07-30, 12:51 PM
Why do they need to be freed at all? They've played no role in the story so far, and the only thing they can do to advance it is to tell the Order how to reseal the Rifts and rebuild the Gates, information that does not need to come from them, and could only be of use during the epilogue, after Xykon is defeated (if he's defeated).

Because I am insane and don't like to see bad things happen to characters I like. Okay, so that's not entirely true, but what I mean is it would be pretty damn depressing for them to be trapped there for eternity.

zimmerwald1915
2011-07-30, 01:30 PM
Because I am insane and don't like to see bad things happen to characters I like. Okay, so that's not entirely true, but what I mean is it would be pretty damn depressing for them to be trapped there for eternity.
Yeah, it would. However, it's not necessary to the story that they be freed. Unless and until it becomes so, it would be pointless to free them, and would take up time and space in the story.

Conuly
2011-07-30, 01:46 PM

That's a bit heartless, isn't it? Next time you get locked up for life in a tiny cell by a madman, remind me not to save you until and unless you serve some purpose in the story that is my life! :smallwink:

TheMac04
2011-07-30, 03:11 PM
You'd be surprised. That happens to me all the time.

Aidjn
2011-07-31, 04:23 PM
No he wasn't. He was holding it in the panel where he says Dorukan's headband is either "a lame hippie hairband, or the material focus for the most powerful abjuration spell ever", which was a flashback panel presumably set shortly after he defeated Dorukan--he certainly isn't holding it when he casts Cloister himself. (He actually has his crown in his hand when he does that).

(Strips #484 and #532, for reference).

He actually was wearing the headband in 484, with his crown in his hand so he could free up the equipment slot.

factotum
2011-08-01, 06:43 AM
He actually was wearing the headband in 484, with his crown in his hand so he could free up the equipment slot.

Er, yes, that's exactly what I said, thanks for agreeing with me... :smallconfused:

Dakaran
2011-08-01, 09:12 AM
Maybe Lirian and Dorukan will be soul-spliced to someone in an effort to seal the gates (or whatever the Order decides to do once they understand more about what's through the rift).

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-01, 10:02 AM
Er, yes, that's exactly what I said, thanks for agreeing with me... :smallconfused:

He just wanted to explain why the crown was in his hand. I think. (Though wearing the headband AND the crown would be even more badass than the crown, because screw the rules I'm an epic spellcaster.)

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-08-01, 10:21 AM
I would like to remind everyone that destroying a soul bind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/soulBind.htm) gem merely frees the soul(s). It does not bring the bound creature(s) back to life. Since it is likely that both Lirian and Durkon’s bodies were destroyed by now, bringing them back would require two true resurrections (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueResurrection.htm) in addition to destroying the gem. So even if the gem does come back into play, it will require a fair bit of deliberate action for the druid and wizard to make an appearance.