PDA

View Full Version : The Fatekeeper (3.5 Base Class)

Circle of Life
2011-07-30, 07:25 AM
Fatekeeper

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9118/fatekeeper.jpg

”You wish to fight me, who holds your very fate in his hands? Very well, let us dance with destiny.”

Class Skills
Fatekeepers treat all skills as class skills. Measureless time spent studying the fate of others gives a Fatekeeper very keen insight into their abilities. (Note: Several skills are added to the usual list of skills in various supplemental sources. Consult with your DM before assuming such skills are on the Fatekeeper's list of class skills.)
Skills Points at Each Level: 6 + int

Hit Dice: d6

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Seals

1st| +0 | +0 | +2 | +2 |Fateful Strikes +1d6, Sealed Fates|1st

2nd| +1 | +0 | +3 | +3 |Unbound Destiny|1st

3rd| +2 | +1 | +3 | +3 |Fateful Strikes +2d6|1st

4th| +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 |Extract Fate|2nd

5th| +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 |Fateful Strikes +3d6|2nd

6th| +4 | +2 | +5 | +5 |Unsealed Fate|2nd

7th| +5 | +2 | +5 | +5 |Fateful Strikes +4d6|3rd

8th| +6/+1 | +2 | +6 | +6 |Shroud of Destiny|3rd

9th| +6/+1 | +3 | +6 | +6 |Fateful Strikes +5d6|3rd

10th| +7/+2 | +3 | +7 | +7 |Striding the Pattern|4th

11th| +8/+3 | +3 | +7 | +7 |Fateful Strikes +6d6, Unsealed Fate|4th

12th| +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +8 |Two Fates as One|4th

13th| +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +8 |Fateful Strikes +7d6|5th

14th| +10/+5 | +4 | +9 | +9 |Deny Fate|5th

15th| +11/+6/+1 | +5 | +9 | +9 |Fateful Strikes +8d6|5th

16th| +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +10 |Unsealed Fate|6th

17th| +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +10 |Fateful Strikes +9d6|6th

18th| +13/+8/+3 | +6 | +11 | +11 |Reverse Destiny|6th

19th| +14/+9/+4 | +6 | +11 | +11 |Fateful Strikes +10d6|6th

20th| +15/+10/+5 | +6 | +12 | +12 |Weaving the Pattern|6th[/table]

Class Features: The following are all class features of the Fatekeeper class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Fatekeepers are proficient with all simple weapons and with the rapier, sap, scimitar and shortbow. Fatekeepers are proficient with light armor, but no shields.

Fate: All Fatekeepers have access to a pool of fate points equal to half their class level plus their Charisma modifier. This pool resets whenever the Fatekeeper rests for eight hours. In addition, while in an encounter, a Fatekeeper gains one fate point whenever he or a creature he can perceive rolls a 1 or a 20 on an attack roll or saving throw. Fate points gained in this way cannot increase a Fatekeeper's pool of fate points beyond his normal maximum.

Fateful Strikes: Whenever he attacks with a melee weapon, a Fatekeeper can choose to expend one fate point to make the attack a fateful strike. Fateful strikes come in two varieties, as seen below, but always deal bonus damage based on the Fatekeeper's class level, as seen on the table above.

Destined Strike: When delivering a destined strike, the Fatekeeper treats the result of his attack roll as 10 before any modifiers. In effect, this allows him to 'take 10' on attack rolls when delivering a fateful strike.

Sealing Strike: If a sealing strike hits, the Fatekeeper pulls away a tiny fragment of his target's fate with the attack, which forms a quasi-real sphere of undulating energy orbiting the Fatekeeper. The exact appearance of a creature's fate varies, with Evil creatures tending to have fates of very dark, almost black energy, while Good creatures' fates tend to be blue or gold-hued. Regardless, the Fatekeeper can instinctively tell which bit of fate belongs to which creature.

Bits of fate that have not yet been consumed can be attacked and destroyed. Fates have AC 10 + the HD of the originating creature + the Fatekeeper's Cha modifier, and one hitpoint per HD. Fates are not subject to area of effect damage. Successfully destroying a bit of fate causes it to dissipate harmlessly.

A Fatekeeper can only ever possess one bit of fate from a given creature at a time, and only a total number of fates at one time equal to his Charisma modifier. Bits of fate do not expire – unless the creature they originate from dies, in which case they dissipate into nothingness – but the Fatekeeper can dismiss an unwanted bit of fate as a standard action, in which case it dissipates to no effect.

The Fatekeeper may never extract bits of fate from himself, whether via this ability or another.

Sealed Fates (Su): All Fatekeepers have access to a variety of unique abilities, known as Seals. A Fatekeeper begins play with knowledge of a single 1st level Seal, and learns a new Seal at each Fatekeeper level thereafter. The highest level Seal a Fatekeeper can learn is given on the table above.

While in possession of a creature's fate, a Fatekeeper can 'consume' the fate as a standard action to activate a Seal that he knows. Generally speaking, Seals require neither line of sight nor line of effect to function; exceptions are noted in the individual Seal's description. Seals are always Supernatural abilities, and as such are not subject to spell resistance. The Difficulty Class of a saving throw, if any, against a Seal is 10+1/2 class level+Charisma modifier.

The list of seals is given in the next post.

Unbound Destiny (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, so long as a Fatekeeper has at least one fate point remaining in his pool, he gains an insight bonus to AC equal to his Charisma modifier.

Extract Fate (Ex): Beginning at 4th level, a Fatekeeper can extract bits of fate with a casual touch. As a standard action, a Fatekeeper may make a melee touch attack with the same range as his unarmed strikes, without provoking attacks of opportunity. If he succeeds, he leeches away a bit of the target's fate, as if he had hit with a sealing strike. Willing creatures may be touched as a move action without the need for an attack roll.

Unsealed Fate (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, a Fatekeeper may take a hand in his own destiny, avoiding unsavory fates. Once per day as a nonaction, the Fatekeeper may reroll any roll he has just made by expending one fate point, even after the results of the roll have been determined, but before damage has been rolled, if appropriate. The Fatekeeper must use the result of this second roll, even if it is worse than the original.

In addition, the Fatekeeper gains a luck feat (Complete Scoundrel) that he meets the requirements for as a bonus feat.

At 11th level and again at 16th level, the Fatekeeper gains an additional daily use of this ability and another bonus luck feat that he meets the requirements for.

Shroud of Destiny (Su): Beginning at 8th level, a Fatekeeper learns to cloak himself from his opponents, either to escape or to set up a later ambush. While in possession of a creature's fate, the Fatekeeper may hide in any sort of terrain, even without concealment or cover, though creatures whose fate he does not hold may still detect him normally (and as such, he must possess cover or concealment to hide from them, as usual).

Striding the Pattern (Su): Beginning at 10th level, a Fatekeeper may consume a bit of stolen fate as a standard action to instantly teleport to a location adjacent to the creature whom the fate originally belonged to, regardless of distance (though he must still be on the same plane of existence).

Two Fates as One (Su): Beginning at 12th level, whenever a Fatekeeper takes damage of any sort (including ability damage or drain), he may redirect half of the damage dealt to him to a creature whose fate he holds, and whom he can currently perceive. A successful Will save, DC 10+1/2 Fatekeeper level+Cha modifier negates the transfer of damage, and as such causes the Fatekeeper to take the full normal amount.

Deny Fate (Su): Beginning at 14th level, once per day a Fatekeeper can spurn death, denying that such could ever be his fate. When the Fatekeeper would be reduced to -10 hitpoints or be slain outright by an attack or spell (such as a holy word spell with a caster level ten higher than his hit dice) he may expend three fate points as a nonaction to ignore all effects of the attack or spell.

Reverse Destiny (Su): Beginning at 18th level, a Fatekeeper can unweave the strands of destiny that led a creature to a certain place. Once per encounter as a standard action, the Fatekeeper can expend three fate points to undo all effects dealt to and by a creature in the last round. In essence, the last round of the encounter never happened for the creature – it occupies its previous position if it moved, spells cast by it have their effects undone and the spell restored to the creature, lost hitpoints are regained, and so on. If the creature is unwilling, a successful Will save, DC 10+1/2 class level+Cha modifier negates the effects of this ability.

Weaving the Pattern (Su): At 20th level, a Fatekeeper becomes a true master of his craft. Three times per day, the Fatekeeper may extract bits of fate from creatures he has encountered previously, without needing to attack or touch them. The Fatekeeper need not see the creature or be especially familiar with it – a casual conversation or similar is enough for him to use this ability with regards to that creature. In addition, the Fatekeeper's striding the pattern ability now functions across planes, and he may hold two bits of fate from any given creature at a time, instead of one.

Circle of Life
2011-07-30, 07:27 AM
List of Seals

1st:Seal of the Pyre
Saving Throw: Will half

The Fatekeeper seals a creature's fate to one of death by fire, causing it to spontaneously combust. The fated creature takes 1d8 fire damage for every two Fatekeeper levels, minimum of 1d8 damage. A successful Will save halves the damage dealt.

Seal of Mercy
Saving Throw: None

Not all fates need end in death, as the Fatekeeper knows all to well. When this Seal is activated, the fated creature takes 1d4 nonlethal damage per Fatekeeper level.

Seal of the Slashing Blade
Saving Throw: Fortitude half

The Fatekeeper seals a creature's fate to one of death by steel, causing deep slash wounds to appear in its flesh. The fated creature takes 1d8 slashing damage for every two Fatekeeper levels, minimum of 1d8 damage. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage dealt.

Seal of the Crushing Blow
Saving Throw: Fortitude Half

The Fatekeeper seals a creature's fate to one of death by crushing, bruising flesh and breaking bones. The fated creature takes 1d8 bludgeoning damage for every two Fatekeeper levels, minimum of 1d8 damage. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage dealt.

Seal of Misfortune
Saving Throw: Will negates

The Fatekeeper curses the sealed creature with persistent unluck, causing it to take a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, saving throws, ability checks and skill checks for one hour per class level. A successful Will save negates this effect.

Seal of Lost Memories

The Fatekeeper erases recent memory from the sealed creature's mind, causing it to forget the events of the past hour. The creature may wonder where new wounds came from or how it got to where it is, if appropriate, but it cannot recall anything in that hour of lost time with any clarity. If the creature is currently threatened, such as by being in combat or in an otherwise dangerous situation, it receives a +5 bonus on its saving throw.

Seal of Authority

The Fatekeeper consumes a creature's fate to issue a single overwhelming command. Unlike most seals, the Fatekeeper must have line of sight and effect to the fated creature for this seal to take effect. If the creature fails its save, it must obey a single, simple command, such as “go there” or “attack this” or “don't attack” for one round. Commands that obviously threaten the creature or go against its loyalties, such as moving through a threatened space or attacking one of its allies offer a second save.

2nd:Seal of Frigid Doom
Saving Throw: Fortitude half and Fortitude negates

The Fatekeeper seals a creature's fate to one of death by freezing, causing its entire body to experience a sudden sharp decline in temperature. The fated creature takes 1d8 cold damage per two Fatekeeper levels, and is fatigued for one hour. A successful Fortitude save halves the cold damage and negates the fatigue.

Seal of Dispelling

The Fatekeeper allows a bit of fate to dissipate into mist, and as he does so, the corresponding creature feels its magical defenses slip away. The Fatekeeper makes a dispel check, as if casting a targeted dispel magic on the creature, except that he uses his Fatekeeper level in place of his caster level, and the maximum caster level adjustment is +20.

Seal of the Comatose

The Fatekeeper grinds a bit of fate between his fingers, and it falls to earth like so many grains of sand. At once, the corresponding creature feels a wave of intense drowsiness pass over it. If the creature fails a will save, it falls asleep at the end of its next 1d2 turns, and remains asleep for at least the next hour, unless damaged or otherwise forcefully awakened. (See the sleep spell for details on waking a sleeping creature.)

Seal of Wearied Limbs

The Fatekeeper consumes a bit of fate, causing it to rapidly melt away like a bit of ice left in the sun. As it fades, the creature feels a great lethargy in every muscle, making moving or attacking difficult. If the creature fails its save, it is exhausted for a number of rounds equal to half the Fatekeeper's level.

Seal of the Fairweather Friend

Charm!

3rd:Seal of the Lidded Eye
Saving Throw: Will partial

Blinds!

Seal of Malignant Flesh
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

Diseases!

Seal of the Thunderstorm
Saving Throw: Fortitude half and Fortitude negates

Shocks, chance of losing next action.

Seal of the Weakened Body
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

Penalizes Fort saves.

Seal of the Broken Will

Penalize Will saves.

4th:Seal of Deception

Target believes one simple lie unless presented with incontrovertible proof of its falsehood.

Seal of the Fool

Save or take -20 penalty to int/cha/wis checks/abilities.

Seal of the Cripple

Save or be unable to move or attack unless effect is broken.

Seal of the Broken Psyche

Save or act like member of another race for short time.

Seal of Stunning
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

Save or stunned for 1d4 rounds

5th:Seal of the Revealed

Reveals target location and plane to the Fatekeeper.

Seal of the All-Seeing

Grants the Fatekeeper True Seeing in regards to the creature; know current health.

Seal of the Clouded Mind

Removes spell levels from target's mind.

Seal of Vulnerability

Lower DR temporarily, can become negative.

Seal of the Damned

As greater bestow curse.

Seal of Renounced Loyalty

Enemy treats allies as enemies too.

6th:Seal of Death

The Fatekeeper brutally crushes the fate of the creature, willing it to simply die. If the creature fails a Will save, it dies. Unlike most Seals, the Fatekeeper requires both line of sight and line of effect for this Seal to take effect.

Seal of Dominion

Dominate effect, 1 hour/level.

Seal of the Displaced

Plane Shift, harmless random plane.

Seal of Elemental Fury
Saving Throw: See text.

Acid, cold, electric, and fire damage; ongoing burns, exhaustion, and stunning.

Seal of Terror

Panic for one round.

Seal of the Sacred Smite
Saving Throw: Will half

Divine or profane damage, stunned and knocked prone.

Circle of Life
2011-07-30, 07:28 AM
Seals are currently unfinished, as you might notice. The saves and effects are all there, I just haven't gotten about to writing them all up yet. That said, I don't feel there are enough of them yet, so feel free to suggest new ones. :smallsmile:

Domriso
2011-07-30, 11:13 AM
This is fantastic. I'll need to take a closer look at the seals and see if I can think of anymore to suggest, but my cursory overlook makes this seem like a terribly fun class.

eftexar
2011-07-30, 03:56 PM
Is the penalty of seal of the fool only on checks? If so it is fine, but if it is actual ability damage, that is way too steep.
Seal of the clouded mind doesn't look complete, but I'm hoping the penalty is temporary. I'm just not a fan of permanently penalizing a character with an effect that can't be removed by another spell (and I don't mean wish or miracle, or a spell that requires some ridiculously short time frame). I avoided picking up spells and effects like that simply because I didn't think they were 'fair'.
I really like the system though. It is both unique and flavorful.

Circle of Life
2011-07-30, 04:14 PM
Is the penalty of seal of the fool only on checks? If so it is fine, but if it is actual ability damage, that is way too steep.

Only on checks. 20 ability damage would be ridiculous.

Seal of the clouded mind doesn't look complete, but I'm hoping the penalty is temporary. I'm just not a fan of permanently penalizing a character with an effect that can't be removed by another spell (and I don't mean wish or miracle, or a spell that requires some ridiculously short time frame).

It removes (Fatekeeper level) spells of the target's choice from their mind until they rest to recover spells.

I really like the system though. It is both unique and flavorful.

Thanks. :smallsmile:

Welknair
2011-07-30, 06:55 PM

You made D&D Sidereals.

Nice job.

Needs a bit of fluff, but besides that looks nice. And a very interesting mechanic for using their abilities.

Circle of Life
2011-07-30, 07:07 PM
You made D&D Sidereals.

I have absolutely no idea what those are, aside from them coming from Exalted, I think. So, uh, thanks. I think. :smallwink:

Welknair
2011-07-30, 07:08 PM
I have absolutely no idea what those are, aside from them coming from Exalted, I think. So, uh, thanks. I think. :smallwink:

They're "Fate Ninjas". Which is pretty much what your Fatekeeper seems to be.

Circle of Life
2011-07-30, 07:09 PM
They're "Fate Ninjas". Which is pretty much what your Fatekeeper seems to be.

Oh. Well, guilty as charged then! :smalltongue:

YouLostMe
2011-07-30, 07:25 PM
Simply amazing. Well done. I look forward to the finished product.

Welknair
2011-07-30, 07:33 PM
You know, I think this may be Bloodline-able. If I have time, do you mind if I make a bloodline based off of this?

Of course the Seals would need to be fleshed out first...

Caiphon
2011-07-30, 07:37 PM

You made D&D Sidereals.

Nice job.

Needs a bit of fluff, but besides that looks nice. And a very interesting mechanic for using their abilities.

He's very, and I mean, veeeeery right :smalltongue:
Very interesting mechanics, and looks promising, so I hope it's finished soon

ForzaFiori
2011-07-30, 08:27 PM
You might think about adding some beneficial seals as well. You mention that you can draw fates out of willing creatures, but there's not a whole lot of reason too with most of the abilities working to make someones fate worse. Yet it would make sense that you could also make it better, right? Perhaps seals that give healing, or attack/damage bonuses, additional spell slots or power points, etc, or that remove bad spells.

Circle of Life
2011-07-30, 08:33 PM
You might think about adding some beneficial seals as well. You mention that you can draw fates out of willing creatures, but there's not a whole lot of reason too with most of the abilities working to make someones fate worse. Yet it would make sense that you could also make it better, right? Perhaps seals that give healing, or attack/damage bonuses, additional spell slots or power points, etc, or that remove bad spells.

I had originally intended to include seals of that sort as well, but as they are no-cost, no-recharge abilities, it essentially turned the Fatekeeper into the ultimate out of combat healer and buffbot.

RaggedAngel
2011-07-30, 09:51 PM
I had originally intended to include seals of that sort as well, but as they are no-cost, no-recharge abilities, it essentially turned the Fatekeeper into the ultimate out of combat healer and buffbot.

Still, it might be nice to have a way to "spend" the seals without hurting something. In the playtest I'm noticing a lack of reason to ever take an ally's seal, and yet the ability to do so taunts me. Perhaps just keeping the buffs minor and only allowing once buff per person at a time?

Circle of Life
2011-07-30, 10:04 PM
Still, it might be nice to have a way to "spend" the seals without hurting something. In the playtest I'm noticing a lack of reason to ever take an ally's seal, and yet the ability to do so taunts me. Perhaps just keeping the buffs minor and only allowing once buff per person at a time?

I included the ability to take allied fates for the Striding the Pattern ability as an emergency evac, but... perhaps. I'll take a second look at allied seals when I finish my current project.

Welknair
2011-07-31, 11:35 AM
You know, I think this may be Bloodline-able. If I have time, do you mind if I make a bloodline based off of this?

Of course the Seals would need to be fleshed out first...

Uh... So would this be alright? It would certainly make for an interesting bloodline.

Circle of Life
2011-07-31, 01:20 PM
Uh... So would this be alright? It would certainly make for an interesting bloodline.

What? I am so offended that you think my homebrew is interesting enough to make derivative works! How dare you suggest such a thing?

...go ahead. :smallwink:

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-09-20, 11:27 PM
I know it's probably a little late to be posting, but I just found the class. I think it is very flavourful. That being said, I'm a little confused by a few things.

Wit respect to Seal, looking at the DC of the saves, are you saying higher level Seals are not harder to counter than lower level ones? I'm simply surprised that the Seal's level does not play into the DC.

With Deny Fate, I've never heard of an unaction. If it does exist, where is it from? If it does not, wouldn't it make more sense for it to be an immediate action?

Also, does Fateful Strike qualify you for Sneak Attack related feats or PrC?

I like the Fate system very much. Have you thought of making some feats around it (as there are with Ki Pools and such) or thought about delegating this task? I like class specific feats and think that feats for a Fate Pool would be pretty neat.

Overall, nice work.

Twin Dragons
2011-09-22, 10:50 AM
Wow, I hadn't seen this class before, but it bears some resemblance to my Fate Weaver (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11895667#post11895667).

Hanuman
2011-09-22, 02:08 PM
Delicious! Om nom nom :O

Loving the fate pool, lots of other flavorful crunch.

Soliloquy
2012-02-12, 11:02 PM
I don't recommend having buff seals for the reasons given above.
I think that you shouldn't see "ally" where "willing" is written. I see it as more of a threat.