PDA

View Full Version : Low level binder build, help please?

Kiyona
2011-07-30, 12:11 PM
Hello all,

This is my first time plaing a binder, and I feel I'm having trouble finding a good strategy at low levels. That's why I'm turning to you guys. You always know what to do. :smallcool:

Anyways, we start at level 1 and work ourselves up. Wich vestiges are good at low levels, any really important feats I should know about? Should I go for strength or dex or con as secondary stat after cha?

Any general advice that you can give me is greatly appreciated. :smallsmile:

gkathellar
2011-07-30, 12:16 PM
A binder can do anything. That's basically the whole point of the class. As such, focus on abilities that increase your Binding power, and figure out a role that compliments the rest of your party.

Paimon is quite nice at low levels. If you plan on doing melee, aim for Knight of the Sacred Seal (and also if you don't — the automatic success on a binding check is really quite excellent).

gorfnab
2011-07-30, 12:21 PM
Have you read through the Binder Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=137.0)? Improved Binding feat is pretty much the first feat you'll want to take. After that it depends on what kind of Binder you want to play.

Tvtyrant
2011-07-30, 12:31 PM
Savnok is good for tanking and group formations; full plate before anyone else can afford it and the ability to swap locations with other people.

The best first level Bind for combat is probably Amon, since it grants you a 1d6+1d8 attack on a charge. The fire breath is somewhat useful, but the charge is better then most level 1 characters damage.

Leraje lets you make two bow attacks and grants you precise shot, but archery sucks unless you build for it.

Kiyona
2011-07-30, 12:37 PM
Thanks so much for your fast replies! :smallsmile:

I had already looked at Paimon, Amon and Savnok, so it seems I have the right idea. :smallcool:

Gorfnab

No, I didn't know it existed, but now I'll give it a good read through. Thanks! =)

CockroachTeaParty
2011-07-30, 01:34 PM
With Improved Binding, you can get Malphas at level one, and while he's not the most useful combat vestige, his at-will bird scouting ability can be tremendously useful. With Malphas, you basically never have to go in blind. Map the dungeon before you even set foot inside it! Knowledge is power!

Naberius is a low level vestige that retains his usefulness throughout your entire career. He can turn you into a social interaction monster, and the fast ability healing is pretty sweet (especially if combined with Hellfire Warlock).

Dahlvar-Nar (or however you spell his name) is also pretty useful, although he doesn't really come into his own until later. His key ability is the ability to force people to take half your damage, an incredibly useful offensive and defensive ability.

If you ever receive any knowledge about what you'll be up against in advance, you can tailor your vestige selection to meet the challenge. Up against cockatrices or basilisks? Bind Haagenti to become immune to petrification. Up against humanoid enemies? Try Aym, and sunder their weapons while they burn themselves if they try to attack you. There's a vestige for just about any situation; it helps to do your homework, and perhaps keep a little cheat sheet to help you decide what to pick.

Tvtyrant
2011-07-30, 01:37 PM
Also, the Bragonborn template with the heart aspect gives you a breath weapon you can use to add meta-breath abilities to Amon's fire breath. Maximized empowered fire breath does a lot of damage for the cost of not getting to use it again in that battle/encounter. Charge, breath, smack things :P