PDA

View Full Version : Crusader Maneuvers: How do you determine them?

Rossebay
2011-07-30, 05:17 PM
It says 'randomly determine', but we (my D&D group) aren't too sure how we go about determining them. Roll a d100? Or what?

Xefas
2011-07-30, 05:20 PM
We did it two different ways on two different occasions in my old group. The first way was to write all the maneuver names on a slip of paper and stick them in a dice bag, drawing them as needed, and throwing them all back in when the maneuvers reset. The second way involved us making maneuver cards in Magic Set Editor 2, and constructing a small 'deck', that was then drawn from, and shuffled accordingly.

Circle of Life
2011-07-30, 05:21 PM
Unless you're 20th level, you'll only need a d10, d6, d4, and a coin.

A deck of cards works too, if you have one handy. Determine what's what (okay, Joker is White Raven Tactics, King is... etc.) then put the proper number of cards in a small deck and draw accordingly. Not truly random, as a table and dice are, but... eh. It's close enough.

Edit: Fixed dice required.
Edit @ V: Probably true too.

Karsh
What's commonly done on the forums is to assign each maneuver a number and roll the appropriate sided dice each round.

EDIT: @^ You don't even need a coin. Just roll evens or odds.

Knaight
Alternately, just label the maneuvers with actual specific cards, and keep the cards around.

navar100
2011-07-30, 05:22 PM
What I did was write them down on index cards. As combat is about to start I shuffle them then deal myself my first granted maneuvers. When I use a maneuver I turn over the card. At the end of my turn I draw a maneuver. If there are no more cards to draw, I reshuffle all the cards and start again. If you don't want to bother writing them down on index cards just use playing cards and note which card goes with which maneuver.

FMArthur
2011-07-30, 05:30 PM
What I did was write them down on index cards. As combat is about to start I shuffle them then deal myself my first granted maneuvers. When I use a maneuver I turn over the card. At the end of my turn I draw a maneuver. If there are no more cards to draw, I reshuffle all the cards and start again. If you don't want to bother writing them down on index cards just use playing cards and note which card goes with which maneuver.

Shuffling with 5 cards basically means grabbing each one individually though, and doesn't feel very random. You have to consciously force yourself not to pay attention, and even then it won't be obvious that you aren't deliberately ordering the cards. I like printing a number on the back of each card and rolling a die.

Knaight
2011-07-30, 05:33 PM
Shuffling with 5 cards basically means grabbing each one individually though, and doesn't feel very random. You have to consciously force yourself not to pay attention, and even then it won't be obvious that you aren't deliberately ordering the cards. I like printing a number on the back of each card and rolling a die.

Dice are a bit finicky. In addition to cards though, there is the colored beads option, where every manuever gets its own little bead, you shake them up in closed hands, then release them one at a time.

FMArthur
2011-07-30, 05:38 PM
Dice are a bit finicky. In addition to cards though, there is the colored beads option, where every manuever gets its own little bead, you shake them up in closed hands, then release them one at a time.

That's probably the best one yet. Dice run into a little bit of a problem where the number of cards you're rolling varies; at each die result you've got to look down to see if the number is on any of your facedown cards, and if not you reroll until you get one. This is not especially speedy when you have only 2 facedown cards and a d6 to roll with...

navar100
2011-07-30, 09:36 PM

If you're going to cheat, you have issues more than just shuffling cards.