PDA

View Full Version : A Console Hypothetical

Deth Muncher
2011-07-30, 05:24 PM
So, there are certain consoles that contain actual harddrives , just like computers. Could you, hypothetically, take a harddrive that isn't X Brand (as in, the company who makes your gaming console) and drop it into one of those systems instead of the one that's already in there so you can have more memory space or things like that? I feel like you can, but since I am in no way mechanically minded, I defer to those of you who actually know how to use them newfangled computer box machines.

GloatingSwine
2011-07-30, 05:35 PM
So, there are certain consoles that contain actual harddrives , just like computers. Could you, hypothetically, take a harddrive that isn't X Brand (as in, the company who makes your gaming console) and drop it into one of those systems instead of the one that's already in there so you can have more memory space or things like that? I feel like you can, but since I am in no way mechanically minded, I defer to those of you who actually know how to use them newfangled computer box machines.

You can attach any 2.5" SATA hard drive to a PS3.

You can only attach other hard drives to an Xbox if you use a custom firmware, which will get you booted from Xbox Live, and you may still be size limited to the largest currently available official HDD size (which is probably 320GB currently as there's a planned 320GB drive later this year).

Deth Muncher
2011-07-30, 05:58 PM
You can attach any 2.5" SATA hard drive to a PS3.

You can only attach other hard drives to an Xbox if you use a custom firmware, which will get you booted from Xbox Live, and you may still be size limited to the largest currently available official HDD size (which is probably 320GB currently as there's a planned 320GB drive later this year).

Oh, I know new Xbox hates harddrives - what about the old one, though? I seem to recall everyone loving to screw around with that.

I didn't exactly know about that with the PS3, though - you don't even need to tear it open, you just plug it in? Or did I misunderstand you?

GloatingSwine
2011-07-31, 05:34 PM
Oh, I know new Xbox hates harddrives - what about the old one, though? I seem to recall everyone loving to screw around with that.

The old one is the same. It uses a custom connection which is basically SATA but has a different form factor.

I didn't exactly know about that with the PS3, though - you don't even need to tear it open, you just plug it in? Or did I misunderstand you?

You need to open it up and unscrew various bits (and it's possible to wreck the screw threads due to them being in plastic)

Deth Muncher
2011-08-01, 03:07 PM
You need to open it up and unscrew various bits (and it's possible to wreck the screw threads due to them being in plastic)

Oh. That sounds dangerous, but good to know. Thanks!

Question solved, I suppose.