PDA

View Full Version : Making Oils by RAW

Zaq
2011-07-30, 06:50 PM
By RAW, is it possible to make magic oils, defined as "potion-like things that work on objects"? (I am quite familiar with the alternate potions in CArc, and I'm not talking about those.)

PHB pg. 89: "You can create a potion of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures."

The DMG lists quite a few oils of spells that very distinctly do not target creatures (Magic Weapon, Bless Weapon, Darkness, etc.). By strict RAW, is it or is it not possible to create oils of these spells? I don't see anything in the PHB that indicates a specific exception for Magic Weapon and the like. Am I missing something, or is this just a connection that WotC assumed was there (even though it isn't) and kinda forgot about?

Drelua
2011-07-30, 08:13 PM
I'm pretty sure they meant oils and potions. If oils couldn't be created, they wouldn't exist, right?

Starbuck_II
2011-07-30, 08:14 PM
By RAW, is it possible to make magic oils, defined as "potion-like things that work on objects"? (I am quite familiar with the alternate potions in CArc, and I'm not talking about those.)

PHB pg. 89: "You can create a potion of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures."

The DMG lists quite a few oils of spells that very distinctly do not target creatures (Magic Weapon, Bless Weapon, Darkness, etc.). By strict RAW, is it or is it not possible to create oils of these spells? I don't see anything in the PHB that indicates a specific exception for Magic Weapon and the like. Am I missing something, or is this just a connection that WotC assumed was there (even though it isn't) and kinda forgot about?

Oils are just potions that affect non-creatures. No one thought anything was needed to be said in 3rd edition. I never looked if there was a rule about it.

Zaq
2011-07-30, 08:16 PM
I'm pretty sure they meant oils and potions. If oils couldn't be created, they wouldn't exist, right?

And I'm pretty sure that they THOUGHT that Monks are proficient with unarmed strikes, but by the strictest RAW, they aren't. I'm trying to see if this is the same thing.

Of course, if it is simply an oversight and you can make oils just fine . . . there's still a hole in the rules, because it's not clear what, if any, limitations oils have. The "3rd level or lower" thing is probably a safe guess, but beyond that?

Drelua
2011-07-30, 08:28 PM
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your question. My bad. Anyway, I think you're right - the closest it comes to saying potions and oils work the same is on page 229 of the DMG, saying "Magic oils are similar to potions, except that oils are applied externally rather than imbibed", implying that this is the only difference. It would definitely share the same spell level cap, though.

NecroRick
2011-07-30, 11:31 PM
And I'm pretty sure that they THOUGHT that Monks are proficient with unarmed strikes, but by the strictest RAW, they aren't. I'm trying to see if this is the same thing.

Excellent. I'll enjoy slapping the Druids, Rogues and Wizards with a -4 non-proficiency penalty the next time they try making a touch attack.

And why stop there? Ranged touch attacks are fair game too... muahahahaha!

tyckspoon
2011-07-31, 01:44 AM
Excellent. I'll enjoy slapping the Druids, Rogues and Wizards with a -4 non-proficiency penalty the next time they try making a touch attack.

And why stop there? Ranged touch attacks are fair game too... muahahahaha!

Rogues get 'all simple weapons', which covers Unarmed Strikes. Touch spells I would argue are not weapons, and therefore do not have to worry about weapon proficiency regardless.

ericgrau
2011-07-31, 01:48 AM
I always assumed that a creature is automatically proficient with unarmed strikes b/c they're natural, or else that they're not fully a weapon in spite of being on the weapons table. It's like they're there with the weapons to show your two "unarmed" non-weapon options.

That is odd with the oil. Looks like you have to house-rule in oil creation as part of potion creation b/c someone forgot to put it in RAW.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-31, 01:50 AM
First you bury a bunch of plankton and algae, then you want a few million years...

Zaq
2011-07-31, 01:55 AM
First you bury a bunch of plankton and algae, then you want a few million years...

Oh, please. How crude.

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-31, 02:13 AM
Oh, please. How crude.

That was punbearable.

NNescio
2011-07-31, 02:47 AM
That was punbearable.

I dunno. Sounds rather fuelish to me.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-31, 03:29 AM
Dear gods, what have I started?

Ravens_cry
2011-07-31, 03:53 AM
I dunno. Sounds rather fuelish to me.
Oh it's oil in good fun as long as the pun petrol don't appear. I think it's a gas myself.

Telok
2011-07-31, 04:16 AM
My answer would be that oils are not made with the Brew Potions feat but rather with the Craft Misc. Magical Item feat.

The limitations on potions don't match with what oils can do. Using the miscellaneous item feat nicely gets around that plus allows you to make other things.

My favourite was always making magical powders. Having them affect whatever they are sprinkled on gives you a potion style effect with no level or target limits.

Starbuck_II
2011-07-31, 07:39 AM
My answer would be that oils are not made with the Brew Potions feat but rather with the Craft Misc. Magical Item feat.

The limitations on potions don't match with what oils can do. Using the miscellaneous item feat nicely gets around that plus allows you to make other things.

My favourite was always making magical powders. Having them affect whatever they are sprinkled on gives you a potion style effect with no level or target limits.

You mean Wonderous? And elixers sre what that creates (potions not limited to 3rd level).

Cieyrin
2011-07-31, 10:00 AM
You mean Wonderous? And elixers sre what that creates (potions not limited to 3rd level).

Elixirs are just kinda odd, as they typically don't create a direct spell effect. Stamping a spell level on 'em would be related to what spells are needed to get the effect you want but that's something else entirely.