PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Writer Seeking Comic Artist (YAWSCA)

John Cribati
2011-07-30, 08:12 PM
Don't everybody rush at me at once...

Anyway, I've been involved in a writing project that started out as just something to do, but I keep wanting to actually see it brought to life.

So I want to make it into a webcomic.

I already have three chapters written out, and am working on the prologue.

However, while I do consider my writing ability to be above average (at least, so I am told), there are a few issues:

I'm inexperienced when it comes to storyboarding or scripting.
I suck at drawing.
I have no money, but fully intend to make some off of this venture. If an artist does indeed wish to give me a chance, any money made will be shared between/among us.

The person or persons that I seek is/are an artist and scriptwriter.

As for the art style, I'm thinking something that's vaguely anime-like, but that's not a demand. What I do want, however, is for there to be a good amount of shading. Not a whole lot, but enough that it's noticeable.

What's that? You want a sample of my writing?

Well, I'm almost done with the prologue, and I'll put that up when I've completed it. For now, you can have a look at my Fanfiction.net (http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1312886/) Account to see my style. Just stay away from the one that's Titled "Flesh." I sort of consider that the worst thing I have up there. :smallredface: "Mindscape" is an old shame to a lesser extent.

EDIT:
I just remembered that I have the bones of the first two chapters up on the Tvtropes forum server (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13006721860A58556500&page=1#1). They've been revised from that point.

leakingpen
2011-07-30, 10:59 PM
Having taken over doing the writing for anti-Heroes, I'm not really interested in script writing for another persons project, but I would be happy to show you the scripts i wrote, how they translated, and give you some advice on converting your stuff to a comic script, if you'd like.

Domochevsky
2011-07-31, 11:41 AM
Mhm, you're coherent in your opening post, so that's a plus for you. :smallsmile:

However, you forget to give a brief description of what the actual comic will be about. (Genre, style, synopsis.)

John Cribati
2011-07-31, 05:29 PM
Having taken over doing the writing for anti-Heroes, I'm not really interested in script writing for another persons project, but I would be happy to show you the scripts i wrote, how they translated, and give you some advice on converting your stuff to a comic script, if you'd like.

That would actually be quite lovely. Thanks for the offer, and thanks in advance for your help. :smallsmile:

Mhm, you're coherent in your opening post, so that's a plus for you. :smallsmile:

However, you forget to give a brief description of what the actual comic will be about. (Genre, style, synopsis.)

Genre: A bit of everything, really, but focused mainly on Urban Fantasy, Action, and Romance.

Style: In tone, it'll be a bit like, say, the 3rd Harry Potter book. Kind of serious, but barely dark. Plenty of humor in between.

Synopsis: Well... there's magic, first of all. I won't fully explain the magic system here, but I can give you a vague rundown of the basic plot. Everything that's "written like this" is essentially stuff that I have an idea of, but have yet to reveal in-story.

The main Characters are Raymond Mason and Tyra Rock. Roughly ten years before the start of the story, "some kind of tragic event" occurred. Tyra lost her brother Blake on the day of "the event," and "something" happened to Raymond's mother. Raymond's father had walked out on him and his mother only days before this "event".

On their 16th birthday*, "stuff" happens, and Raymond learns that his parents, Tyra's parents, and a few other people were part of "a group of some sort." Raymond's father, Roy, was the master of a "particular brand of magic," which Raymond inherited control over. "Some group or other" was behind the "some kind of tragedy" ten years ago, for "some reason." Raymond and Tyra set out to topple "This group," gaining "all sorts of magical allies" in the process.

*They were born on the same day, but are otherwise unrelated.

ClockShock
2011-07-31, 06:17 PM
I have an interest in the script writing - so there's a private message about that.

How much of an idea do you have regarding those bits "written like this" by the way?
Do you have most of the details sorted are will they pretty much be dealt with when you get to them?

John Cribati
2011-07-31, 06:31 PM
I was just about to reply to that PM, don'cha know.

Anyway, I'm now quite interested in learning to write scripts myself, or if possible collaborate with the artist on scriptwriting/storyboarding. That would take a good deal of work off of the hypothetical artist's shoulders.

As for the "things written like this," most of it is practically set in stone, but some things like "all sorts of magical allies" aren't going to show up for a while, so I can think about who those allies will be, their motivation, and all somesuch.

hustlertwo
2011-08-09, 09:36 AM
As someone who has had an on-again, off-again comic since 2006 (and two different artists for it, one of whom quit and returned multiple times), all I can tell you is good luck, mate. As you appear already aware, finding artists is hard, keeping them even more so.