PDA

View Full Version : PF Mounted Magus

Darcand
2011-07-31, 01:29 AM
Is it viable? I suppose what it really comes down to is: Do spells delivered through a lance while mounted charging also have their damage doubled? I know it was specified that they have their damage multiplied on a weapon crit, I feel it stands to reason that this method should work too.

SamBurke
2011-07-31, 01:38 AM
Can you have a mounted Magus? Sure, sounds very interesting, as long as you have a free hand. However, your point: spells through the weapon, damage doubled?

This is the way it's stated in the level 2 ability SpellStrike:

Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a magus can make one free melee attack with his weapon (at his highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell. If successful, this melee attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell. If the magus makes this attack in concert with spell combat, this melee attack takes all the penalties accrued by spell combat melee attacks. This attack uses the weapon’s critical range (20, 19–20, or 18–20 and modified by the keen weapon property or similar effects), but the spell effect only deals ×2 damage on a successful critical hit, while the weapon damage uses its own critical modifier.(Emphasis Mine)

Basically, you get an attack. If it hits, the weapon does damage like it hits. Also, the melee touch spell goes off, for its damage. If a crit is found, then the spell deals x2, while your weapons deals its own bonus (x2, x3, x4, or whatever).

So, in short, yes.

Elegonn
2011-08-01, 10:50 AM
Good thought though, but also you have to make concentration checks for riding.

stack
2011-08-01, 11:39 AM
I think Uncanny Concentration (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/uncanny-concentration) would help with the casting while riding.

"You do not need to make concentration checks when affected by vigorous or violent motion or by violent weather. You gain a +2 bonus on all other concentration checks."

Vigorous Motion
If you are riding on a moving mount, taking a bouncy ride in a wagon, on a small boat in rough water, below-decks in a storm-tossed ship, or simply being jostled in a similar fashion, you must make a concentration check (DC 10 + the level of the spell you're casting) or lose the spell.

Violent Motion
"If you are on a galloping horse, taking a very rough ride in a wagon, on a small boat in rapids or in a storm, on deck in a storm-tossed ship, or being pitched roughly about in a similar fashion, you must make a concentration check (DC 15 + the level of the spell you're casting) or lose the spell. If the motion is extremely violent, such as that caused by an earthquake, the DC is equal to 20 + the level of the spell you're casting."

Also, ride is a class skill. I don't know if a lance is optimal, but a mounted magus is quite do-able.