PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Killer Halfling?

The Gilded Duke
2011-07-31, 08:34 AM
I was looking through the pathfinder srd recently, when I found this prestige class:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/halfling-opportunist

It doesn't show up on the normal index, and I don't have the book in question, but it seems quite good. Exploitative maneuver is fun and unique, only time I've seen combat maneuver checks usable for social rolls. Disguise instead of diplomacy rolls are also nice.

Sneak attack and saves are nice, but the real fun bit is Opportunity attacker.
As it doesn't require flat-footedness or flanking, it looks like it might be able to get around uncanny dodge.

Not quite sure how to best take advantage of it though. Would prefer to set up a build with pathfinder only.

Central Feats:
Weapon Finesse
Combat Reflexes
Defensive Combat Training (req for class)

Probably a rogue base to build up that sneak attack and get weapon finesse with a talent? I have heard there is a well done whip feat tree in ultimate combat, but don't have access to that one yet.

If we bring in 3.5 there are the various sacrifice Sneak Attack for status effect feats. Is there anything similar in Pathfinder?

Radar
2011-07-31, 09:08 AM
This looks like an interesting addition to Jack B Quick (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869062/6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick) or similar characters (if D&D 3.5 material is allowed).

Luckmann
2011-07-31, 09:09 AM
It looks quite nice, but as someone who only really has access to the PFSRD, I must ask where it is actually from? And why wouldn't it be in the regular list of Prestige Classes if it is, as it is classified, official Paizo?

:smallconfused:

Cieyrin
2011-07-31, 09:54 AM
It looks quite nice, but as someone who only really has access to the PFSRD, I must ask where it is actually from? And why wouldn't it be in the regular list of Prestige Classes if it is, as it is classified, official Paizo?

:smallconfused:

The bottom of the document says it's in Halfling of Golarion, one of the PF racial splatbooks.

Luckmann
2011-07-31, 09:59 AM
The bottom of the document says it's in Halfling of Golarion, one of the PF racial splatbooks.That's it. I'm swearing off reading for the next couple of days until this hangover is completely over.

Anyway, why wouldn't it be included amongst the other prestige classes, then? :smallannoyed:

Cieyrin
2011-07-31, 11:10 AM
That's it. I'm swearing off reading for the next couple of days until this hangover is completely over.

Anyway, why wouldn't it be included amongst the other prestige classes, then? :smallannoyed:

*shrug* Maybe the guys in charge of keeping the SRD updated overlooked it? You'd think there'd be a way to point that out, support email link or something...

The Gilded Duke
2011-07-31, 01:34 PM
It looks like a Alchemist Vivisectionist Halfling using Beast Shape might work. Go into a form that has the trip special quality. Pick up the Greater Trip Feat.

Whenever you hit somebody you make a free trip attack. If you successfully trip someone you provoke an attack of opportunity. Use the attack of opportunity to hit them again +sneak attack, and then get a free trip attack, so on until you miss or run out of attacks of opportunity.

What I'm wondering about though
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/beast-shape-i#TOC-Beast-Shape-IV

Beast Shape doesn't say you get any natural weapons from the form. Are you still able to use your normal weapons when in Beast Shape? Having a weapon with the trip special quality would really help the build out.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like you get the natural weapons, but use your own base attack bonus and adjusted ability scores. Perhaps a more long term option would be a Synthesist with the Trip ability.

Ashram
2011-07-31, 06:22 PM
It looks like a Alchemist Vivisectionist Halfling using Beast Shape might work. Go into a form that has the trip special quality. Pick up the Greater Trip Feat.

Whenever you hit somebody you make a free trip attack. If you successfully trip someone you provoke an attack of opportunity. Use the attack of opportunity to hit them again +sneak attack, and then get a free trip attack, so on until you miss or run out of attacks of opportunity.

What I'm wondering about though
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/beast-shape-i#TOC-Beast-Shape-IV

Beast Shape doesn't say you get any natural weapons from the form. Are you still able to use your normal weapons when in Beast Shape? Having a weapon with the trip special quality would really help the build out.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like you get the natural weapons, but use your own base attack bonus and adjusted ability scores. Perhaps a more long term option would be a Synthesist with the Trip ability.

I could have sworn you can't do the infinite trip loop by RAW.

DeMouse
2011-08-02, 08:56 PM
I could have sworn you can't do the infinite trip loop by RAW.

Not quite the same infinite trip loop.

You can do it with natural attacks but they removed being able to damage and trip somone on the same attack with weapons that have the trip property (IE Spiked chains and whips). Natural attacks with trip would still work.