PDA

View Full Version : Think this'll work? (Cooking ITP)

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-31, 09:13 AM
So, decided to venture into the world of cooking once again. I've got a 4.5 pound whole chicken in the oven currently, and I'd like to take it out partway through and wrap it in bacon. :smallbiggrin:

I figured if I'd put the bacon on it at the start, the bacon would be too crispy by the time the chicken's done, y'know? :smallconfused:

Also, does two-and-a-half hours at 350° F sound about right?

Ricky S
2011-07-31, 09:21 AM
So, decided to venture into the world of cooking once again. I've got a 4.5 pound whole chicken in the oven currently, and I'd like to take it out partway through and wrap it in bacon. :smallbiggrin:

I figured if I'd put the bacon on it at the start, the bacon would be too crispy by the time the chicken's done, y'know? :smallconfused:

Hmmm.... I think you should cook them seperately. It would work a lot better if you just had chicken thighs and then wrapped the thigh with bacon similar to a fillet mignon. You should just leave the bacon off until you have cooked both.

http://www.howtocookmeat.com/baconwrappedfiletmignon.htm

I reckon it will be delicious anyway. Bacon is the god of food :smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2011-07-31, 10:19 AM
There's just one significant problem with your basic premise... I can't get to you in time to eat it for you:smallwink:

I've heard of similar things before, though usually wrapping turkey rather than chicken, but I haven't had the chance to try it myself, so I don't know the practicalities...

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-31, 12:00 PM
End result? The thing looks remarkably like a headcrab from the Half-Life series. :smalltongue:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa100/TheCountAlucard666/Pictures/Snapshot_20110731.jpg

Tirian
2011-07-31, 12:17 PM
I think this is more familiarly done with boneless chicken breasts instead of whole chickens. In fact, it looks from a brief Google search that you can just make Chicken Cordon Bleu and then wrap bacon around it.

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-31, 12:50 PM
I think this is more familiarly done with boneless chicken breasts instead of whole chickens. In fact, it looks from a brief Google search that you can just make Chicken Cordon Bleu and then wrap bacon around it.(nodnod) Yeah, you're right; chances are, that's what I'll be doing next time. :smallamused:

Renegade Paladin
2011-07-31, 12:54 PM

2.5 hours is entirely too long for a four pound bird. 1.5 at most. Stick it with a thermometer to be sure, but it's best to pull it as soon as it gets to 180 degrees F, or you risk drying it out.

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-31, 01:36 PM
2.5 hours is entirely too long for a four pound bird. 1.5 at most. Stick it with a thermometer to be sure, but it's best to pull it as soon as it gets to 180 degrees F, or you risk drying it out.Unfortunately, I don't actually have a meat thermometer. :smalleek:

And yeah, it was a little on the dry side, but nonetheless enjoyable.

Bhu
2011-07-31, 01:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

you prolly wanna ask these guys

Melayl
2011-07-31, 07:03 PM
Next time, put the (chopped) uncooked bacon under the skin of the chicken from the start. You'll get a better flavor on the bird, and it won't dry out as much (the bacon fats will keep it more moist). For added flavor, put chopped onion and garlic (along with salt and pepper) under the skin as well, and cook covered in a roasting pan (also helps keep it moist) until almost done, then put it under the broiler to get the skin nice and brown. When it is done, remove it from the oven and cover it with foil for about 10 minutes to let the juices redistribute through the bird.

Your bird did look tasty, though! :smallbiggrin:

super dark33
2011-07-31, 07:50 PM
the only thing i can do with chicken is to dip it in breadcumbs, then in beaten eggs, then in bread again, and then in a frying pen with 2cm high amound of any oil.

when brown on both sides put it in paper, fold it and serve.

if any fat is in the meat, all the better.

Tirian
2011-07-31, 07:51 PM
(nodnod) Unfortunately, I don't actually have a meat thermometer.

And yeah, it was a little on the dry side, but nonetheless enjoyable.

One thing that I didn't know until it was pointed out to me and it embarrassed me a bit is that roasters and fryers are very different sorts of chickens. My first few failures with roasting chickens were totally because I was buying fryers (since they were smaller and I was just cooking for me). The recipe recommended for the roasters I get is 15 minutes at 450 degrees and then down to 350 for a total of 18-20 minutes per pound. The other nice thing about roasters is that they come with a single-use thermometer already plugged into the breast.

(This is all US-centric, of course. YMMV in other nations.)

Renegade Paladin
2011-08-01, 07:45 AM
One thing that I didn't know until it was pointed out to me and it embarrassed me a bit is that roasters and fryers are very different sorts of chickens. My first few failures with roasting chickens were totally because I was buying fryers (since they were smaller and I was just cooking for me). The recipe recommended for the roasters I get is 15 minutes at 450 degrees and then down to 350 for a total of 18-20 minutes per pound. The other nice thing about roasters is that they come with a single-use thermometer already plugged into the breast.

(This is all US-centric, of course. YMMV in other nations.)
Region-centric, actually; I've never known a roasting hen to come with a thermometer plugged into it. Baking a fryer actually works well if you prepare and cook it properly. It helps to cook evenly if you stuff the bird; I usually just fill the cavity full of onions and carrots, slide black pepper and whole sage leaves (fresh if I can get it) under the skin, and call it good. Cook in a covered (this is extremely important) roasting dish and uncover in the broiler for five minutes after it's come to temperature to let it brown. I've never had one turn out bad; it just requires attention.

Galathir
2011-08-01, 10:39 AM
I have a few tips for your next roast chicken. I've experimented with a lot of roast chickens over my 10 years as a chef, and this is the best I've ever had.

Preheat the oven to 475 and place the chicken (breast side down) on a V-rack and put a cup or two of chicken stock into the pan. In a separate bowl, mix about a half cup each of dark corn syrup and melted butter. Roast the chicken for 21 minutes, basting with pan drippings every seven minutes or so.

Remove the chicken from the oven and turn so that one leg and thigh is up. Baste with syrup/butter mixture and roast for another ten minutes. Remove from oven and turn so the other leg and thigh is up. Baste with syrup/butter and roast another ten minutes.

Remove from oven and reduce heat to 325. Turn chicken breast side up and baste well with syrup/butter mixture and return to oven. Baste every five minutes. There is no substitute for a meat thermometer. Trust me. Remove the chicken when the internal temperature of the thickest part of the breast reaches 155° F. Allow it to stand at least 15 minutes before serving.

Save the drippings and use for gravy.

Notes: Out of date recommendations called for cooking poultry to 180/185. This will result in terribly overcooked and dried out chicken. USDA (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Keep_Food_Safe_Food_Safety_Basics/index.asp) and almost all local health regulations recommend an internal temperature of 165. At this point, the chicken will still be juicy and tender. Just be sure to check the temperature of the thickest part of the breast, and if the chicken is stuffed, the centre of the stuffing also needs to reach 165.

If you want to wrap it in bacon, wait until you turn the oven down to 325 and then baste the chicken with the butter/syrup, cover it with bacon, and then baste again.

The corn syrup/butter mixture adds sugar and protein to the skin which will help it brown and crisp.

And buy yourself a thermometer. They are cheap, and will save you from dried out overcooked meals :smallbiggrin:

TheCountAlucard
2011-08-01, 10:59 PM
Thanks again to everyone who provided advice; I just had some leftovers, and I'm finding that some time in the fridge has apparently brought out the bacon flavor a bit more. :smalltongue: