PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU ... recruit players.

Arutema
2011-07-31, 11:21 AM
As you may have seen in the finding players forum, I'm starting up a Pathfinder game at a FLGS in Houston. And I'd like the playforund's advice about how to recruit players for it.

I have the minimum (3 players), but I find the game works best with 4 or 5 players. What are good ways to go about recruiting those extra players?

Welknair
2011-07-31, 11:26 AM
They just come. I have far too many. We've already had to split once, and it looks like we'll have to split again. I meet people, I talk to them, then suddenly they join the group. We're up to... 14 people?

If you're hard-pressed for players, I'd suggest checking out your local gaming store. Or even using the "Player Recruiting" section here at GitP.

Heliomance
2011-07-31, 03:26 PM
Mostly I just mention at GameSoc that I'm planning on running a game, who wants in?

This probab;y doesn't work so well if you're not at uni though.

MlleRouge
2011-07-31, 04:16 PM
If they fall in to the age category you're interested in, college students are usually good. So if you have a campus around nearby, you could try there.

I find that if I walk around my college campus talking about gaming, people sometimes introduce themselves and express their interest without me even trying :smallbiggrin: I'm sure if I tacked up some fliers or something, it would be a breeze.

SowZ
2011-07-31, 05:32 PM
Talk to people. Bring it up in conversation after I get to know someone. I usually have enough.

Alternatively, join a local LARP group, (if that kind of stuff interests you.) If you don't have the time, just stop by once or twice a month to games. When I go to LARP events at least half the people their D&D.

Crossblade
2011-07-31, 11:51 PM
Mention it to your friends... have your players mention it to their friends. People usually know 1-2 others who want to join a game.

Tyndmyr
2011-08-01, 09:09 AM
Mention it to your friends... have your players mention it to their friends. People usually know 1-2 others who want to join a game.

This is pretty much how my games go. Friends of friends, they just sort of come in to replace people. Most of us know several others we can tap whenever we have an opening, so getting a new player is never really an issue. More important is finding the sort of player that gels well with our group.

Yora
2011-08-01, 09:41 AM
I ask people I know to be into such geeky things like fantasy, sci-fi, mangas, and video games. I usually end up with way more people I think are good for a pnp group.

dsmiles
2011-08-01, 10:13 AM
If you build it, they will come. :smalltongue:

Jay R
2011-08-01, 10:31 AM
Alternatively, join a local LARP group, (if that kind of stuff interests you.)

Absolutely. I haven't played a game in over twenty years that wasn't entirely composed of people I met in the SCA. I've had the problem of too many people who want to play; I've never had a problem finding people.

If you want to find role-players, go where people are playing roles.

Volos
2011-08-01, 11:23 AM
I simply make my presence known to those nearby and I have a full group of gamers willing, ready, and honored to play with me. For some reason I have never had trouble finding players. Once people realize that I am a DM, I have a group. It is as simple as that. It has proven true in the middle of nowhere, in the city, and inbetween.