PDA

View Full Version : Street fighter capstone

tacho101
2011-07-31, 01:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, i was wondering if anyone has actually bothered to go full barb to 19 just to try out the cleaving charge, and is able to judge how nice or not so nice the mechanics for it are. obviously its not a wizard with celerity but is it any good if you max out your initiative?

thanks in advanced.

tacho101
2011-07-31, 02:16 PM
i probably should have made the distinction between the barb ACF and the Prestige class, my apologies for that.

Psyren
2011-07-31, 02:20 PM
Street fighter Barbarian? Where is that?

Taelas
2011-07-31, 02:21 PM
Street fighter Barbarian? Where is that?

Cityscape (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a); it's an ACF that replaces DR.

tacho101
2011-07-31, 02:41 PM
Streetfighter:
The ability to take a blow is valuable, but on the violent and crowded streets of the city, the winner of a brawl or
a duel is often the one who can hit hardest and fastest.
Class: Barbarian.
Level: 7th.
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain damage reduction at 7th level, or any of the
improvements to damage reduction at higher levels.
Benefit: The barbarian gains the ability to swiftly bring the fight to his foe and to hit him hard.

At 7th level, the critical threat range of any charge attack he makes, or any attack he makes against a
flat-footed foe, increases by 1. (Thus, a greataxe would threaten a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.) This
ability stacks with the Improved Critical feat or the keen weapon enhancement.

At 10th level, the barbarian can make a single turn, up to 90 degrees, during a charge.

At 13th level, the barbarian can charge through squares occupied by his allies or by noncombatants.

At 16th level, the barbarian can move up to four times his speed when making a charge attack, rather
than double.

At 19th level, the barbarian acquires a "cleaving charge." If he drops an opponent on a charge attack,
and he has at least 10 feet of movement remaining, he can immediately make a new charge attack
against a second foe. If he drops that foe and still has movement remaining, he can charge a third, and
so on until he either fails to drop a foe, or runs out of movement. All the other standard rules for a charge
attack still apply, including the fact that he must have at least 10 feet of distance to make the charge.

Even if he somehow gains the ability to make multiple attacks on a charge (such as with the lion's charge
spell from the Spell Compendium), he must drop the foe on the first attack to use this ability. Similarly, he
cannot use this ability and Cleave or Great Cleave in the same round.

Flickerdart
2011-07-31, 02:44 PM
It's very unlikely that you'll be able to consistently deal enough damage to drop opponents in one full attack - unless they're mooks, and an ability that only works on mooks isn't worth a mention.

ffone
2011-07-31, 02:47 PM
Feh, when I saw the title I figured you were asking how to build Ken, Ryu, Guile, Chun-Li, etc. :smallcool:

The Glyphstone
2011-07-31, 02:51 PM
It's very unlikely that you'll be able to consistently deal enough damage to drop opponents in one full attack - unless they're mooks, and an ability that only works on mooks isn't worth a mention.

On a bog-standard Leap Attacking Shock Trooper? Sure, he can't Pounce, but give him a Valorous weapon and he'll probably still drop close to anything he can land a hit on, especially if his 20th level is in Warblade for some 5th-level maneuvers.

tacho101
2011-07-31, 02:52 PM
we have a house rule, not sure if its official by SRD or anything, but yeah, the massive damage threshold is decent at 50. our DM said that if that threshold is meet multiple times, the DC would increase accordingly.

so at 100 DC= 30 and so on.

obviously monsters with great saves will handle this at low levels, but how many high level monsters can hit a DC of 60-75 consistently?

tacho101
2011-07-31, 03:00 PM
ffone: that would be intriguing but dont point me anywhere near monk, i tried for goku, no dice.

Eldariel
2011-07-31, 03:50 PM
ffone: that would be intriguing but dont point me anywhere near monk, i tried for goku, no dice.

Unarmed Swordsage/(occasional)Stuff works for most fictive martial artists.

And regarding OP's question, can't say I have though I'd really like to; much more appropriate a capstone than Mighty Rage to be sure (though I still think I like multiclass too much). Done some theoretical builds and that's it.

Psyren
2011-07-31, 03:52 PM
Tashalatora/blank covers pretty much all of them.

Flickerdart
2011-07-31, 03:52 PM
On a bog-standard Leap Attacking Shock Trooper? Sure, he can't Pounce, but give him a Valorous weapon and he'll probably still drop close to anything he can land a hit on, especially if his 20th level is in Warblade for some 5th-level maneuvers.
I am, of course, assuming that for the past 18 levels the DM has noticed that this guy can murder everything in one hit, and given the important enemies some sort of protection against this.

Midnight_v
2011-07-31, 05:25 PM
Just out of curiosity, i was wondering if anyone has actually bothered to go full barb to 19 just to try out the cleaving charge, and is able to judge how nice or not so nice the mechanics for it are. obviously its not a wizard with celerity but is it any good if you max out your initiative?

thanks in advanced.

I did just to test the ability, just after zendu and I wrote the the barbarian handbook. I didn't play through all levels but I did do extensive testing of that ability mostly at level 20
A couple things I learned.
1: Your 20 level is barbarian 19, and you fit the other class in at a level where you can make sure you hit a feat. Its pretty much going to be Swordsage, or Cleric, Cloistered if you're feeling cute, doesn't matter. Its for movement via teleport or movement via travel devotion.
but you CAN add lots of other things depending on race and equipment, it gives you automatically a few cool non charge things to do, though my brother insists that cleric is the best for travel devotion.
2: That yes you really can kill anything NUMBERICALLY if that build is correctly done.
3: You're gear and items are 1 part Valorous Weapons and charging stuff, and the other parts Ip'ing your character, which is kinda like every other non-spell caster.
4: You'll have a way to teleport as a swift action, or move as a swift action, or fly: The most interesting race for this to me was the naturally winged ones because it eliminated a lot of the situations where you face:

I am, of course, assuming that for the past 18 levels the DM has noticed that this guy can murder everything in one hit, and given the important enemies some sort of protection against this
Which is probbably a slight exaggeration, but yeah a lot of it ends up being just that so you have to be prepped that there's going to be some montsters that are going to seem immune to your trick.

"The Variant Barbarian" or "Hawkman" as we called him recieved COPIOUS testing. Which is why I know so much about it. We tried to take all of the variant brb abilities and take them on to one character, went raportan for free flight, and went nuts.
We tried one with pounce and one with fear. I prefereed the one with fear, and so it went something like
Raptoran 19/ X1(depending)
Ferocity Variant/Streetfighter variant/Spiritual Totem.
1: Powerattack
3: Imp. Bullrush
6: Shock Trooper
9: Imperious Command + Skill trick Never outnumbered. Cleric w/Travel devotion (if going cleric)
12: Intimitdating Rage
15: Combat Reflexes
18 Sworsadge 1 Robilars gambit

Your equipment will include, a crystal mask of dread, a valorous reach weapon (points if you can add the Collision enhancement), armorspikes, and everything else you have goes into basic D&D protections, Freedom of movement, mindprotections etc. Thing about this is you really get all kinds of things to naturally improve what you're trying to do.
So you have 3 major tricks from class levels and feats
1: A moderatly optimized charge.
2: A karmic strike style attack: Awesome W/Robilars Gambit
3: Midnight_v's Reactive rage!: Which is to say you can trigger you Imperious Command anytime you rage, because the ferocity variant, rage going off instantly, and intimidating rage saying anytime you rage you may Intimidate 1 opponent wittin 30 ft as a free action... even when flat-footed.
You can fly and you ignore difficult terrain. If you went the swordsage route you have a few other nifty benefits you might choose. Throws/Manuevers/Counters.
Choosing Cleric gives you a couple spells... choose wisely.
M_v

ericgrau
2011-07-31, 06:36 PM
It seems like a way to make ubercharger cheese twice as strong ya. Who cares if you do a few more damage beyond a thousand when you could kill two foes instead. For that matter I wonder why more ubercharger builds don't have great cleave.

Midnight_v
2011-07-31, 07:13 PM
It seems like a way to make ubercharger cheese twice as strong ya. Who cares if you do a few more damage beyond a thousand when you could kill two foes instead. For that matter I wonder why more ubercharger builds don't have great cleave.

Well...
The ubercharger is specific build by tempest stormwind. I'm not sure of the relevence as this build doesn't have an animal companion... I've never played it myself because I really can't get into mounted combat, as I found it to be a hassle. Moreover the obvious lack of leap attack might be a give awy that this isn't that.

He is right about this though, Its good because you don't do nearly breach hundreds of damage, much less thousands but it does let you do better vs multiple opponents. Which is one of the weaknesses of melee... compared BFC.

For that matter I wonder why more ubercharger builds don't have great cleave. LOL. Cause its bad.

You might be able to make an argument for supreme cleave and something that allows you to make 10ft steps but its not even worth the feat/level investiture mostly.

I wanted to specify a couple things.
If you take swordsage, you mostly take boosts.
The Stance you take: Dance of the Wind.
The Boosts you take:
Cloak of Deception. Which is beautiful. (and invisible)
and protects you from targeted responses like: Counter charge.
Sudden Leap: For if you can't fly or just want positioning to charge a second time.

Those should be enough to get you through most combats.
You might more points of damage, So you CAN take searing blade. Its not great but the damage is doubled, because of valourous.

I've done some "Danger of Cool stuff" which is to say not optimal but conceptually awesome:
1: Don't Rage
2: Fly/Run around the room Cleaving
3: Land next to whoever survives, Activate Rage + Intimidating rage + Never Outnumbered (free action.) On whoevers adjacent + 1 target within 30 ft.
4: Activate Fountain of Blood (http://kahdnd.pbworks.com/w/page/29815475/Fountain-of-Blood) boost.
5: Laugh as whoever's left not immune to fear, wets themself as blood erupts from all the bodies you left in your wake. Ninja style...
6: No question: Profitt. Everyone who fails that save will be Cowering in fear for 1 full minute.

tacho101
2011-08-01, 12:03 AM
jebus, was not expecting anyone to throw out that kind of knowledge on barberus, many thanks Midnight.

i knew about the barb intimidate shutdown, but my char has a char of 10, and im not sure if i can hit the necessary number for it. i'll have to find my way through a other path. the teleports will be great, im wondering if they can be used to change direction while charging.

tacho101
2011-08-01, 12:05 AM
on the great cleave deal, its just not necessary and a waste of a feat. cleave and a mighty cleaving weapon will most likely handle the mooks if they are clustered.

Flickerdart
2011-08-01, 12:07 AM
Changing direction is just Twisted Charge, though you need 5 ranks in Balance and Tumble for it. That and the Streetfighter's ability should let you angle your charges whichever way you feel like.

tacho101
2011-08-01, 12:12 AM
i understand that, but i would like to reach every corner of the battle field on one charge :smallredface: teleport for positioning as explained earlier

ericgrau
2011-08-01, 12:40 AM
LOL. Cause its bad.

You might be able to make an argument for supreme cleave and something that allows you to make 10ft steps but its not even worth the feat/level investiture mostly.
Normally it's bad outside of TO, but when you're one shotting things cleave is good. For PO it's only for mooks, but I was talking about ubercharger cheese. EDIT: Or more generally thousand damage builds with or without a mount

faceroll
2011-08-01, 05:20 AM

It's pretty doable with lion totem leap, leap attack, and battle jump.

Midnight_v
2011-08-01, 07:54 AM
Normally it's bad outside of TO, but when you're one shotting things cleave is good. For PO it's only for mooks, but I was talking about ubercharger cheese. EDIT: Or more generally thousand damage builds with or without a mount

Well great cleave doesnt' let you take 5 foot steps and its a pain to get supreme cleave, in fact you can only get it from prcs if I recal correctly.

jebus, was not expecting anyone to throw out that kind of knowledge on barberus, many thanks Midnight.
I'm really glad to help, more than I am to argue with people, I used to be on the 339 boards and I'm on Bg's I see a lot of futile arguments that really go against the spirit of why I spend my time doing this. Exploring the game, and helping people is a pleasure. Thank you for giving me the chance to put that knowledge to use.

i knew about the barb intimidate shutdown, but my char has a char of 10, and im not sure if i can hit the necessary number for it. i'll have to find my way through a other path. the teleports will be great, im wondering if they can be used to change direction while charging. [/QUOTE]

Oh. I see you're already level 10. I thought you might just be starting, my bad. If thats the case share some info with us.
Race, Stats, feats, money.
Its a shame about the charisma thing, its a pretty keen "not fighting" trick.
It does free up a feat, though. . .

tacho101
2011-08-01, 09:54 AM
M_v: we're at six and i've already mostly followed the ground work with him for the jump squash build. its just my charisma is not up to snuff.

sorry about making that ambiguous.

i figured id go get the counter attack awesomness that is Robilars, and maybe go a bit defensive with steadfast determination.

im planning this dwarf out till lvl 22, only because thats where i get the strong inclination the campaign will end.

we are playing with uneven Xclass exp penalties, tho. cleric early on would set me back a lvl or 2 in the long run.

tacho101
2011-08-01, 10:13 AM
This was my first game, and my DM being a dude who played a bard all his life (never really melee'd) i had a rough start, not knowing barbs as i should have. but here he is

Earth Dwarf Barb 6 ACF(Dashing step Barb)
stats
str: 21 int: 10
con: 16 wis: 12
dex: 14 cha: 10

Feats thus far:
1 Power attack ,2 cleave ,3 improved bull rush,4 Axe focus,5 leap attack,

the 2 extra feats came from me talking my DM into 3 replacement lvls for dwarven barbs since there were none. so at level 9 i get to pick 2 feats for one.

from there on, i am going to take him street fighter(ACF) to get rid the damage reduction garbage.

ericgrau
2011-08-01, 11:54 AM
Well great cleave doesnt' let you take 5 foot steps and its a pain to get supreme cleave, in fact you can only get it from prcs if I recal correctly.

Hmm, then you need a way to pump your jump modifier or teleport or some such to land in the middle of multiple foes and smash. A reach weapon helps a great deal too, along with large size for more reach.

Someone needs to make a thousand damage build with silly amounts of reach plus a way of chucking himself at foes, as a kind of encounter nuker.

tacho101
2011-08-01, 01:22 PM
the build is there in frenzied berserker. supreme cleave and the general improvement of power attack . and as for teleporting him around, simple items or the methods discussed in this thread would work.

personally FB just isnt my cup of tea, not much spells tpk like a teleporting FB that failed a save because of a thorn nick.

Midnight_v
2011-08-01, 01:49 PM
the build is there in frenzied berserker. supreme cleave and the general improvement of power attack . and as for teleporting him around, simple items or the methods discussed in this thread would work.

personally FB just isnt my cup of tea, not much spells tpk like a teleporting FB that failed a save because of a thorn nick.

... I can fix that for you so you never EVER kill your party, if you want. :smallsmile:

Cumberous Will. . . and all.

Though is its not your cup of tea for other reasons I get that too. . .

tacho101
2011-08-01, 02:06 PM
thats the thing, though, as a barb with street fighter, and hitting level 19, i essentially,(more or less have supreme cleave no?) power attack bonuses are great, but in the long run, the loss of skills(major) and feats taken to basically save myself and allies from myself isnt so great. i might have done it if i had access to iron heart surge, but tob banned by DM much to my sorrow

i have more or less the same options though thinking it through, FB can charge into one mook, kill it and if an other is within 5 (10 if you cheese the dummy) get him too, as the barberu, i get the choice of mauling a close knit group with cleave and a mighty cleaving weapon, or continue the charge and merk everthing at a 10 foot increment or more. obviously one is better at tight spaces, but being able to move 4x your speed while killing everything in your path. (as long as minimum 10 feet are between em)
-i think its just have more potential and utility.

Midnight_v
2011-08-01, 02:47 PM
"Chesse the dummy?" hmm...

I was refering to a stance that give 10 feet steps but, whatever, if thats not what you want cool.
So in anycase gazing back in the other direction. . .
You could... drop 1 point into char, upon level 8 and buy an item of charisma +4 which would qualify you for imperious command, though it may not even be that crucial. You lose on a cool trick, no biggie. I'm sure you can make up for it in other ways.
I'll have to look up Earth Dwarf. . . though the 2 feats you're getting is gonna be VERY useful. I'd really be best to look for "Something" that you build does that isn't charging. It'll be a headache quite often otherwise. . .

tacho101
2011-08-01, 03:27 PM
isnt there a magical dummy/monk training wood dummy that grants 10 foot shifts instead if 5 foot shifts after using it. i just assumed it would work on great cleave.

i didnt think you could qualify for feats like that, good to know. i might get barbarian celerity then lol.

tacho101
2011-08-01, 04:02 PM
Earth dwarf

+2 str, +2con, -2 dex, -2cha

and a like a extra +2 to all the regualr dwarf traits, and a +4 stackage to stability.

not the best choice but i like it.

for all the details, UA is your friend