PDA

View Full Version : Similar thread: modern things that would make an elf emo

randomhero00
2011-07-31, 02:07 PM
Our lack of care and connection to the environment.

All mass production.

Our drunkeness/lack of dexterity.

Our lack of forethought.

Our short sightedness.

Our destruction of the rain forrests.

QuidEst
2011-07-31, 02:48 PM
I dunno… I think it's a lot more obvious with elves than dwarves, seeing as we've got more people who actually feel that way.

Eldan
2011-07-31, 02:58 PM
Few people make the proper sacrifices anymore, there's not enough unarmed lonely maidens in the forest, barely any pure knights to tempt and there's too much iron everywhere.

Xefas
2011-07-31, 03:03 PM
No Santa Claus. Our North Pole is just a big deserted frozen hunk of rock and ice. No one makes anything by hand anymore.

Worlok
2011-07-31, 04:58 PM
Few people make the proper sacrifices anymore, there's not enough unarmed lonely maidens in the forest, barely any pure knights to tempt and there's too much iron everywhere.
Not to mention the dwarves have seceded from elvendom wholly. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-07-31, 05:11 PM
Not to mention the dwarves have seceded from elvendom wholly. :smalltongue:

Aye, that too. Call a dwarf "black elf" today, and he'll probably attack you.

Dogmantra
2011-07-31, 05:25 PM
I'd imagine that being constantly shoehorned into stereotypes wouldn't make them too happy.

:smallwink:

OracleofWuffing
2011-08-02, 05:59 PM
Drow.

In the same line of thinking, those giant spiders that I'm not talking about in greater depth because seriously ick.

byaku rai
2011-08-02, 08:34 PM
I imagine the widespread obesity (at least in the US) would disgust quite a few elves.

... I mean, seriously. It's gross. And who's ever heard of a fat elf?

TheCountAlucard
2011-08-02, 08:38 PM
I imagine the widespread obesity (at least in the US) would disgust quite a few elves.

... I mean, seriously. It's gross. And who's ever heard of a fat elf?I resent that; one of the best pictures I've seen of elves had a fat one in it.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa100/TheCountAlucard666/Pictures/wanderingmonsters-large.jpg
Awesome.

Fhaolan
2011-08-02, 09:01 PM
This is like shooting fish in a barrel. What *wouldn't* make an elf emo, modern or otherwise.

:smallcool:

Esprit15
2011-08-02, 09:35 PM
Our for the most part disregard for the environment (though they might like hydroelectricity, etc.)

Cities

Super large countries (WTF Russia/China/USA/Canada!?)

Our laziness (Though almost any D&D race may be disappointed by this)

Our wars ("You're fighting over more land? Look at all that land you already have!" or "You're killing people over oil? How about looking for a fuel that isn't as much blood as it is fuel.")

Religious intollerence (You have your gods, they have theirs. What's the problem?)

Less appreciation for the arts

Werekat
2011-08-02, 11:43 PM
If it's a D&D elf - lack of basic commodities.

Our medicine. The need for prosthetics if something happens. With their lifespans, that's utterly horrifying.

The fact that there's not too much really potable water and that edible food (by their standards) can only be found if very actively looked for.

I don't think the rest would scare them, they'd find it fascinating.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-08-02, 11:44 PM
This is like shooting fish in a barrel. What *wouldn't* make an elf emo, modern or otherwise.

:smallcool:

This.

A pretty big part of me thinks they might have a serious issue with Lord of the Rings.

Esprit15
2011-08-03, 12:30 AM
Our medicine. The need for prosthetics if something happens. With their lifespans, that's utterly horrifying.
Right, better to die of bloodloss. I'd say our strides in medicine would be one of the few things that they would be impressed with.

Werekat
2011-08-03, 08:18 AM
Esprit: If we go by Tolkien fluff - sure. If we go by D&D fluff - no. Because elves are specified to be a magic-heavy culture, with quite a few clerics and druids, healing items, alchemy, herbals that give immediate stabilization to the dying and so on. Not all of these things are present in every edition at once, but they are mostly there.

The D&D world has healing easier than we do. What they might be impressed with is how good we've gotten without magic, but the very fact that we needed to get this good would probably have been somewhat depressing.

One thing I forgot in my previous post: the fact that we have no idea about whether an afterlife even exists, and most evidence seems to point to the fact that death is final.

Yora
2011-08-03, 10:27 AM
This seems more like "what would make an emo-hippy become emo". :smallannoyed:

LibraryOgre
2011-08-03, 11:04 AM
The lack of bilingual Sperethiel classes in the public schools.

The failure of the people of Oregon to agree to secession and the creation of Tir Tairngire.

The lack of century ferrets, meaning the Awakening is still a decade (or more) away.

The on-going corruption caused by the Blood Queen, and the resulting rift in the Elven factions.

The low rates of UGE.

The fact that some time, maybe soon, the dragons are going to wake up and totally ruin their ****.

(I like my elves like I like my games: remnants from an older age, where it was all complexity and magic, rather than systems mastery and computers. DEATH TO THE THERAN SCUM!)

Jay R
2011-08-04, 10:55 AM

He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly!

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself!

TheCountAlucard
2011-08-04, 12:01 PM
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly!

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself!Okay, that, too. :smalltongue:

Pokonic
2011-08-04, 02:08 PM
How quickly people would read books about a drow and his adventures to the point of making them bestsellers and making expys of him to play as.

Esprit15
2011-08-04, 06:13 PM
Esprit: If we go by Tolkien fluff - sure. If we go by D&D fluff - no. Because elves are specified to be a magic-heavy culture, with quite a few clerics and druids, healing items, alchemy, herbals that give immediate stabilization to the dying and so on. Not all of these things are present in every edition at once, but they are mostly there.

The D&D world has healing easier than we do. What they might be impressed with is how good we've gotten without magic, but the very fact that we needed to get this good would probably have been somewhat depressing.

Okay then. Our lack of magic.:smallannoyed: Lack of magic and herbs that cure everything are not modern things; they're facts about our world.

Xanmyral
2011-08-04, 06:30 PM
That does lead to a line of questioning. If they lose their magic by being here that would probably tick them off. If they still have it though, I'm willing to put down money that they will start to disappear. For the name of science though. I assure you.

snoopy13a
2011-08-04, 09:19 PM

The Keebler elves are fat. And they contribute to obesity :smalltongue:

Werekat
2011-08-05, 02:01 AM
Esprit: Point taken. :)