PDA

View Full Version : Sending the same PM multiple times

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-31, 05:44 PM
Currently I'm finding when I send a PM, it gets sent twice for no apparent reason. I'm not clicking it multiple times or anything, it just seems to repeat.

Is anyone else finding this? Is there any way to fix it?

Edit: Right, another PM I just sent to Occasional Sage got sent four times, and another with someone else popped up seven times. This is becoming a problem... I won't PM anyone until I can figure out what is happening, 'cause I might end up sending an avalanche of messages and that would be bad.

Occasional Sage
2011-07-31, 06:42 PM
Tested this with HDC. My pms are fine. One of his doubled, one quadrupled.

Zeb The Troll
2011-08-01, 05:43 AM
Do you know if it just happens with Occasional Sage or do other people have the same thing happen when you PM them? If you don't know, you can send me a test PM.

Zherog
2011-08-01, 08:33 AM
I'll volunteer to be a test recipient as well, just so we can rule out that Zebbie's mod status affects his account.

Ajadea
2011-08-01, 09:17 AM
I too will volunteer as a test recipient.

Occasional Sage
2011-08-01, 10:35 AM
I volunteered when he first posted this, so it was happening before me. As we were exchanging PMs, HDC mentioned a few other recipients since as well. It seems to be systemic for him.

EDIT: Mods if it helps, feel free to poke through my PM box. I think ya'll tend to avoid doing that, right? But feel free.

HalfDragonCube
2011-08-01, 12:29 PM
I've sent a test PM to the three guinea pigs willing volunteers, and it only appears to have sent once.

Mods, please poke around my inbox to see if you have some spare time on your hands.

Edit: Checking my history, relevant pages only appear once. I dunno if that actually helps, but the information is there anyway.

Zeb The Troll
2011-08-02, 01:07 AM
I only got one copy of it. If the others did too, I'd be curious whether or not having multiple recipients has any bearing on the weirdness you're seeing.

Zherog
2011-08-02, 07:49 AM
I only received one copy. I replied, and HDC replied back (only to me) and that also only had one copy.

Occasional Sage
2011-08-02, 10:50 AM
I only got one copy of it. If the others did too, I'd be curious whether or not having multiple recipients has any bearing on the weirdness you're seeing.

The ones I received, I was the sole recipient.

HalfDragonCube
2011-08-07, 08:25 AM
This is still happening, and it's kinda annoying. Has anyone else ever had a problem similar to this? Am I an anomaly? :smallconfused:

Maybe if I made a new account, then it would stop, but then again, I have no idea how these things work. :smallfrown:

Rawhide
2011-08-07, 09:28 AM
This is still happening, and it's kinda annoying. Has anyone else ever had a problem similar to this? Am I an anomaly? :smallconfused:

Maybe if I made a new account, then it would stop, but then again, I have no idea how these things work. :smallfrown:

So far, you're the only person who has reported this issue as you describe it. It's not a known issue nor is it an issue that seems to obviously point to a server fault. These three reasons would seem to indicate that it is probably caused by something you are doing, your browser, or something you have installed.

You should examine the steps you take when you send a PM, write them down, then you can compare that to what results you get.

Look (and listen) for clues as to why it might be happening while you do so. Some examples include the server taking a long while to reply or hearing multiple "clicks" after pressing submit.

Alternatively, try using the site in a different browser and see if the problem returns.

Finally, think back to any programs you installed/uninstalled and any errors or other glitches you had. One of those could have caused the problem.

HalfDragonCube
2011-08-07, 09:53 AM
So far, you're the only person who has reported this issue as you describe it. It's not a known issue nor is it an issue that seems to obviously point to a server fault. These three reasons would seem to indicate that it is probably caused by something you are doing, your browser, or something you have installed.

You should examine the steps you take when you send a PM, write them down, then you can compare that to what results you get.

Look (and listen) for clues as to why it might be happening while you do so. Some examples include the server taking a long while to reply or hearing multiple "clicks" after pressing submit.

Alternatively, try using the site in a different browser and see if the problem returns.

Finally, think back to any programs you installed/uninstalled and any errors or other glitches you had. One of those could have caused the problem.

Righty-ho, then. I'll get on that.

Edit: Bingo! I've found another glitch. When posting a post, I got this appearing:

The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:
1. This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 60 seconds.

But in the 'Topic Review' section my post was visible. While normal posts can be done only once every 60 seconds, PMs have no such limit. My theory is that something is causing my... input-thingies to repeat sometimes.

On the task of trying different browsers, I've tried self-PM-ing in IE and Firefox and the effect doesn't seem any different to that of Chrome, which I normally use.

Trixie
2011-08-09, 02:38 PM
But in the 'Topic Review' section my post was visible. While normal posts can be done only once every 60 seconds, PMs have no such limit. My theory is that something is causing my... input-thingies to repeat sometimes.

On the task of trying different browsers, I've tried self-PM-ing in IE and Firefox and the effect doesn't seem any different to that of Chrome, which I normally use.

If the effect is the same... Do you perchance doubleclick 'post' button? :smallconfused:

HalfDragonCube
2011-08-10, 06:53 AM
If the effect is the same... Do you perchance doubleclick 'post' button? :smallconfused:

No, although I can see why you thought that.

Artemis97
2011-08-18, 07:48 AM
I know it's possible to doublepost accidentally while the Forum is having one of its hiccups. Happens to me semi-regularly. I click post and end up with an error, so I go back to post again, but it turns out the post really went through.

Were you trying to send your PMs through one of the forum's slowdowns or the reset? Just thought it might be a factor.