PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Help

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-07-31, 06:13 PM
So, I'm in a solo campaign, and want to play a wizard.

I want to be a generalist, so I was thinking Arctic Grey Elf, with the arctic template to offset the CON penalty, and then taking the elven generalist substitution level to get extra spell slots.

After Wizard 1 though, I don't have many ideas.

Things I have been considering:
Incantrix (dumping evocation)
Initiate of the 7fold Veil
Shadowcraft Mage (although unless I change my race I have to lose three caster levels to take levels of Stoneblessed to enter this:smalleek:)
Fatespinner
Ur-Priest/Mystic Theurge (I love the fluff of this prc, and it's quite powerful)

One idea:
Wizard 1/Stoneblessed 3:smallannoyed:/Wizard 3/Incantrix 10/Shadowcraft Mage 3

I don't like it because of the lost caster levels.

So, ideas anyone?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-07-31, 06:26 PM
I'll strongly suggest the Animal Companion ACF (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererWizard) for Wizard, along with Martial Wizard at that same link for Improved Initiative instead of Scribe Scroll. Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) is also highly recommended, especially if you can later combine the two sets of benefits onto one creature. A pair of Warbeast Wolves will make encounters go much easier.

If you can use flaws, an Illumian (Krau) Beguiler 1/ Wizard 4/ Ultimate Magus 10/ etc. with Practiced Spellcaster: Beguiler, Versatile Spellcaster, and Able Learner will get 19/20 Wizard spellcasting and 8th level Beguiler spellcasting, plus all the Beguiler class skills and tons of versatility. You can use Versatile Spellcaster to spend Beguiler spell slots to spontaneously cast Wizard spells you've learned, and fuel metamagic feats as big as +4. This makes for more of a skilled/social/sneaky/versatile character, well suited for urban adventures and noncombat encounters. Consider grabbing Mindbender 1 and/or some Paragnostic Apostle at the end.

Maybe go with an arcane gish, something like Fighter or Crusader or Duskblade 1/ Wizard 2/ Elf Paragon 3/ Spellsword 1/ (Abjurant Champion 5/ Incantatrix 4 prioritize according to BAB/HP or Persistent buffs)/ Eldritch Knight or Knight Phantom 4. That gets +16 BAB and 9th level spells at 20th level, plus those prestige classes. Having a character who can crowd control and melee instead of being completely dependent on spells to kill foes will be much more efficient.

gkathellar
2011-07-31, 06:38 PM
The above advice is solid, but really: read Dictum Mortis' handbook.

Alternately, don't play a wizard at all! Play a Druid X/Prestige Ranger 4, w/Sword of the Arcane Order, gaining access to all wizard spells, all druid spells, Wild Shape and Animal Companion. Now you can play the second and third most powerful classes in the game at the same time!

[insert evil laugh]

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-07-31, 06:58 PM

Alternately, don't play a wizard at all! Play a Druid X/Prestige Ranger 4, w/Sword of the Arcane Order, gaining access to all wizard spells, all druid spells, Wild Shape and Animal Companion. Now you can play the second and third most powerful classes in the game at the same time!

[insert evil laugh]

I have read Dictum Mortuum's handbook, and it is a good one.

Also, thank you for the other suggestion. It might be a little too powerful though, although I don't know if something like it would be appropriate for a solo campaign.

Endarire
2011-07-31, 07:03 PM
Remember, a solo campaign is easiest to adjust for a DM. You are the party!

Consider this: Dragonborn Arctic Fire Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#fireElves) Wizard (Generalist). Take the Elven Wizard substitution levels in Races of the Wild and go Domain Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizardVariantDomainWiz ard).

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-07-31, 07:46 PM
Remember, a solo campaign is easiest to adjust for a DM. You are the party!

Consider this: Dragonborn Arctic Fire Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#fireElves) Wizard (Generalist). Take the Elven Wizard substitution levels in Races of the Wild and go Domain Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizardVariantDomainWiz ard).

Thanks for the advice– I've never played a solo campaign before.

The Domain Wizard cariant is a good idea, although from what I can tell, it doesn't matter very much whether I go Arctic Grey or Arctic Fire Elf, as they both have a penalty to a dump stat and CON, and +2 to Int and Dex

TehLivingDeath
2011-07-31, 08:02 PM

[insert evil laugh]

This trick doesn't work by RAW. The wording of SotAO prevents that.

TehLivingDeath
2011-07-31, 08:11 PM
;11538572']Thanks for the advice– I've never played a solo campaign before.

The Domain Wizard cariant is a good idea, although from what I can tell, it doesn't matter very much whether I go Arctic Grey or Arctic Fire Elf, as they both have a penalty to a dump stat and CON, and +2 to Int and Dex

What's the starting level? Remember, a solo wizard is VERY hard to play at level 1. You won't have a lot of spell slots and even buffed you're still squishy, so don't focus too much on defense, it's a losing battle. Your best bet at early levels is to at all costs win initiative, cast Color Spray/Sleep and coup de grace everybody. Also, always keep a slot dedicated towards Expeditious Retreat in case something goes bad (and believe me, it will).

gkathellar
2011-07-31, 08:51 PM
;11538276']I have read Dictum Mortuum's handbook, and it is a good one.

Also, thank you for the other suggestion. It might be a little too powerful though, although I don't know if something like it would be appropriate for a solo campaign.

It wouldn't be appropriate for any campaign, solo or otherwise.

This trick doesn't work by RAW. The wording of SotAO prevents that.

It's ambiguous. SotAO refers to your "ranger spells slots." Since prestige ranger advances your spellcasting and gives you the ranger spell list, it's no stretch to see "ranger spell slots" as including "spell slots that the (prestige) ranger advances." Certainly I've seen better Playground and BG than I optimizers say it works.

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-07-31, 08:52 PM
What's the starting level? Remember, a solo wizard is VERY hard to play at level 1. You won't have a lot of spell slots and even buffed you're still squishy, so don't focus too much on defense, it's a losing battle. Your best bet at early levels is to at all costs win initiative, cast Color Spray/Sleep and coup de grace everybody. Also, always keep a slot dedicated towards Expeditious Retreat in case something goes bad (and believe me, it will).

Starting level is 1.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe Nerveskitter/Shock and Awe would be a good idea.

TehLivingDeath
2011-07-31, 09:06 PM
It wouldn't be appropriate for any campaign, solo or otherwise.

It's ambiguous. SotAO refers to your "ranger spells slots." Since prestige ranger advances your spellcasting and gives you the ranger spell list, it's no stretch to see "ranger spell slots" as including "spell slots that the (prestige) ranger advances." Certainly I've seen better Playground and BG than I optimizers say it works.

I'd say it's quite a stretch, specially if used to virtually combine two Tier 1 classes' spell lists. It's a very selective reading of the rules, bordering munchkinism IMO. It stinks of cheese to be quite honest with you.

Ranger spell slots are possessed by Rangers. Prestige Ranger merely advances your Druid spellcasting, which grants you more Druid spell slots. I'm sorry if I come off as too blunt but this is not ambiguous at all.

Private-Prinny
2011-07-31, 09:38 PM
I'd say it's quite a stretch, specially if used to virtually combine two Tier 1 classes' spell lists. It's a very selective reading of the rules, bordering munchkinism IMO. It stinks of cheese to be quite honest with you.

Ranger spell slots are possessed by Rangers. Prestige Ranger merely advances your Druid spellcasting, which grants you more Druid spell slots. I'm sorry if I come off as too blunt but this is not ambiguous at all.

I'll also add that the addition of Ranger spells to your spell list is merely a suggestion in a sidebar, not a hard and fast rule, and the wording of that is also not conducive to using SotAO.

The bard, paladin, and ranger spell lists in the Player’s Handbook (as well as similar lists in other books) contain a number of spells that don’t appear on other classes’ spell lists. In general, any character who enters one of these prestige classes should gain access to spells unique to that class’s spell list from the Player’s Handbook, at the same levels indicated for the standard class. At the DM’s discretion, spells unique to that class’s spell list found in other books may also be available, but on a case-by case basis. The DM may require such spells to be researched or learned specifically by the character, rather than simply making them freely available.

This does not explicitly give you access to the Ranger spell list, and actually seems to suggest that Ranger-exclusive PHB spells (which I don't think there are any of) should be cast as Cleric/Druid spells.

Endarire
2011-07-31, 11:11 PM
Buy some mules and guard dogs for cheap. Let 'em tank for you!

KillianHawkeye
2011-08-01, 07:01 AM
Arctic Fire Elf? I think that will cause your DM to experience a fatal logic error.

Eldan
2011-08-01, 07:07 AM
Arctic Fire Elf? I think that will cause your DM to experience a fatal logic error.

Not really. I'm thinking of elves living in icelandic volcanoes, at the moment.

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-08-01, 07:42 AM

That is in fact an awesome idea. I may actually use that.

Darrin
2011-08-01, 07:47 AM
;11537933']
Shadowcraft Mage (although unless I change my race I have to lose three caster levels to take levels of Stoneblessed to enter this:smalleek:)

If you can find it, take a look at Shaper of Form in Dragon Compendium. 1-level dip can change your race to gnome. You don't even lose a caster level.

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-08-01, 04:05 PM
If you can find it, take a look at Shaper of Form in Dragon Compendium. 1-level dip can change your race to gnome. You don't even lose a caster level.

Does it allow you to count as a gnome or does it actually transform you? I was hoping to remain an elf to keep the +2 to Int.

dgnslyr
2011-08-01, 04:14 PM

My two explanations for this race/template combo is either:

A. The Ice Age descended upon a tribe of Fire Elves, and after many generations adapted to the arctic climates.

B. A Fire Elf visited an Arctic Elf tribe, and intimately introduced one or some of them to the virtues of his fiery lineage.