PDA

View Full Version : Quick Optimization Question: Getting +2 CL

Urpriest
2011-07-31, 06:18 PM
I've got a level 4 divine caster who I'd like to have two more caster level than he currently does on a specific spell. The race is fixed (kobold). Levels can't be spent on this concept, but feats are mostly free, and low level items can be assumed.

The spell in question is Scorching Ray. I'm already aware of Fiery Burst, I just need two more CL.

Jack_Simth
2011-07-31, 06:28 PM
I've got a level 4 divine caster who I'd like to have two more caster level than he currently does on a specific spell. The race is fixed (kobold). Levels can't be spent on this concept, but feats are mostly free, and low level items can be assumed.

The spell in question is Scorching Ray. I'm already aware of Fiery Burst, I just need two more CL.Let's see... Arcane Thesis is out (not Arcane, not enough skill ranks), you likely don't have enough cash for Orange Prism Ioun Stones... Bead of Karma has similar issues...

Ah, Primitive Caster, Frostburn / Races of Eberron could net you a +1 (although you'll need Profession(Herbalism), and a lot of time in Frostfell...) and Ship's Mage could help out... if you're onboard a ship... Sanctum Spell in your Sanctum?

But tell me: Are you sure it's a good idea to be throwing 8d6 damage at level 4?

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-31, 06:36 PM
The simple answer is to use the drug Agony from Book of Vile Darkness. It's 200 gp per dose and grants you a +2 CL to a single spell for one use. (It's also addictive, but you'd be using it a lot anyway)

In the Planar Handbook there's a feat called Elemental Spellcasting that adds +1 CL to all spells of a certain energy type. I don't know the prereqs for it though.

Flickerdart
2011-07-31, 06:39 PM
Dark Speech (BoVD) can give you +1 to CL, but you take 1d4 CHA damage. Lunar Magic gives you +1 to CL for three days each month. Spell Thematics is +1CL to one spell per spell level - but only works for arcane casters. The Spellgifted trait can give you +1 to CL from a school of magic, but -1 to spells from all other schools. Domain Focus gives +1 CL for spells from a domain. Metamagic Vigor can amplify caster level. Elemental Spellcasting gives +1 to spells of a given element.

So Elemental Spellcasting and Spellgifted gives you an easy +2.

Urpriest
2011-07-31, 08:17 PM
Spellgifted and Elemental Spellcasting are just what the doctor ordered, with room for more.

As for the idea of this being unbalanced, two details: first, it's for an NPC. And second...it's an NPC for a webcomic. :smallamused::smallwink:

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-31, 08:24 PM
Spellgifted and Elemental Spellcasting are just what the doctor ordered, with room for more.

As for the idea of this being unbalanced, two details: first, it's for an NPC. And second...it's an NPC for a webcomic. :smallamused::smallwink:

Well in that case, please keep us informed!

Zaq
2011-07-31, 08:27 PM
The Ankh of Ascension doesn't work all day, but it does work. 9,000 GP.

If you're evil and/or unscrupulous, there's always Consumptive Field and its Greater cousin.