PDA

View Full Version : How does one improve regeneration?

magic9mushroom
2011-07-31, 07:30 PM
It's easy enough to get with Troll Blooded, but I want to know how to increase the number on it.

Anyone know a way?

Socratov
2011-07-31, 08:09 PM
get a heart of the terrasque magically implanted?

p.s. indeed guilty of having played DotA :smallamused:

Flickerdart
2011-07-31, 08:11 PM
get a heart of the terrasque magically implanted?

p.s. indeed guilty of having played DotA :smallamused:
I've got a head of Vecna I'm willing to sell you.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-31, 08:15 PM
The Rapid Regeneration feat from Fiendish Codex II improves your regeneration by 1/feat taken, stacking. That's the only official source I'm aware of.

magic9mushroom
2011-07-31, 08:19 PM
I mean, I was sure there was a feat somewhere which improved it by 1, but I can't find it. :frown:

EDIT: I did just then. Rapid Regeneration, Tyrants of the Nine Hells.

EDIT2: I appear to have been beaten to it. C'est la vie.

Jack_Simth
2011-07-31, 08:20 PM
It's easy enough to get with Troll Blooded, but I want to know how to increase the number on it.

Anyone know a way?Any source of healing will also speed Regeneration, as all healing effects also help with nonlethal (it's in the Nonlethal Damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#nonlethalDamage) entry, at the end). So, say, Divine Metamagic(Persistent Spell) [Anything from the Vigor line] will effectively increase your rate of regeneration.

vampire2948
2011-07-31, 08:27 PM
Hi. Not sure how to solve your problem, but, off topic slightly - I found something that would be fairly awesome for a Troll Melee Character.

Pain Mastery - Savage Species.

Every 50 damage you take during an encounter gives you a +2 to your Str score until the end of the encounter, at which time you become exhausted.

*scuttles off*

Jack_Simth
2011-07-31, 08:37 PM
Hi. Not sure how to solve your problem, but, off topic slightly - I found something that would be fairly awesome for a Troll Melee Character.

Pain Mastery - Savage Species.

Every 50 damage you take during an encounter gives you a +2 to your Str score until the end of the encounter, at which time you become exhausted.

*scuttles off*
Really only useful when combined with something that makes you effectively immune to nonlethal damage, though... unless you've got either a LOT of hit points, or a LOT of regeneration.

Socratov
2011-07-31, 08:47 PM
I've got a head of Vecna I'm willing to sell you.

it better not be trap :smallamused:

vampire2948
2011-07-31, 08:52 PM
it better not be trap :smallamused:

*leaves this here* (http://www.blindpanic.com/humor/vecna.htm)

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2011-08-01, 06:43 AM
One does not simply improve regeneration...

But no, seriously. Persistent vigor spells are nice, especially if your DM will let Improved Healing stack with it.

magic9mushroom
2011-08-01, 07:58 AM
Well, it was for a Macrobe Tarrasque, which can kinda afford to burn feats. Not like CR means anything by that point.

maximus25
2011-08-01, 08:05 AM
Go undead, get evolved template X 1000. 3000 fast healing, better then regeneration, can't be bypassed by anything. Profit.

magic9mushroom
2011-08-01, 08:07 AM
Go undead, get evolved template X 1000. 3000 fast healing, better then regeneration, can't be bypassed by anything. Profit.

See above.

Besides, regeneration that isn't bypassed (and this is a Tarrasque) is far better than fast healing of the same amount, since it stops you dying.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-01, 08:10 AM
Well, it was for a Macrobe Tarrasque, which can kinda afford to burn feats. Not like CR means anything by that point.

Macrobe Tarrasque?

Socratov
2011-08-01, 08:14 AM
*leaves this here* (http://www.blindpanic.com/humor/vecna.htm)

allready knew it :smallamused:

but I still stand by my advice, get a heart of the terrasque, and have a wizard/cleric implant in a way that it will not regen a terrasque inside your body (would be rather painful I gather), and here's the kicker: it's a quest in it's own right :smallyuk: (although, maybe not the most intelligent quest to go on)

magic9mushroom
2011-08-01, 08:29 AM
Macrobe Tarrasque?

Macrobe is a template from Immortals Handbook that increases the size of a creature by ten categories.

It does not, however, affect regeneration.

I thought a monster with 1.8 million HP and regeneration 40 might be a little out of whack, so I was looking for ways to up it.

Socratov
2011-08-01, 08:52 AM
Macrobe is a template from Immortals Handbook that increases the size of a creature by ten categories.

I thought a monster with 1.8 million HP and regeneration 40 might be a little out of whack, so I was looking for ways to up it.

you're joking right? :smallannoyed:

this is DnD, not WoW... :smallconfused:

Else I'd say, implant more hearts... you know, for some power? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitleydhc2awm)

The Glyphstone
2011-08-01, 09:51 AM

Somehow, I suspected the Complete Epileptic Monkeys Handbook would be involved here...

At those CR's though, Rapid Regeneration matters exactly squat. +1 healing/round is irrelevant when damage on all sides is in the millions.

Necroticplague
2011-08-01, 10:36 AM
I've built character who took strong advantage of regeneration before, so maybe I can help. Their is only one way to directly improve he regeneration (eg, go from regeneration 1/fira and acidaga to 2/fira and acidaga)and its (it's? I can never tell) a feat in fiendish codex 2, probably mentioned already. However, that would be missing the point of regeneration. The key point of regeneration isn't the "heals x per turn, nonlethal first" part its (it's?) the "converts damage to nonlethal" part of it." So the important part of regeneration use is to gain immunity to nonlethal damage, and gaining immunity to your regeneration's weakness(es). I'll list some of the easier sources of both it (upon listening to the situation, I've modified my list).:

template:
Gheden

Classes:
Pale Master
Bone Knight (i think)
Crimson Scourge
Warforged Juggernaut

Items:
Custom item of favor of the martyr (I think, expensive, but list of immunities is fairly long)

list probably incomplete, will come back to later

The Glyphstone
2011-08-01, 10:54 AM
In this case, it's Regen/-, so the only thing needed is immunity to nonlethal.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-01, 01:51 PM
Sneak into Warforge Juggernaut.

The build I use is to take the barbarian varient that rages at a set HP loss and mix with flameing berzerker for fire immunity.

Now you take two flaws to get toughness, troll blooded, and adimantium body. Get a ring of acid immunity.

Now you take damage until you rage, and then become imortal, ignoreing all damage. No template shananagins.

Necroticplague
2011-08-01, 03:13 PM
In this case, it's Regen/-, so the only thing needed is immunity to nonlethal.

In light of this, I have modified my list.

magic9mushroom
2011-08-01, 04:29 PM
you're joking right? :smallannoyed:

this is DnD, not WoW... :smallconfused:

Else I'd say, implant more hearts... you know, for some power? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitleydhc2awm)

I'm not joking that a Macrobe Tarrasque has approximately 1.8 million HP.

Somehow, I suspected the Complete Epileptic Monkeys Handbook would be involved here...

At those CR's though, Rapid Regeneration matters exactly squat. +1 healing/round is irrelevant when damage on all sides is in the millions.

The Macrobe Tarrasque has something like 15000 feats to burn. I thought raising it to 1000 might be in order.

And no, I'm not intending to use this as a CR-appropriate challenge for anything. Levels in the four-five digits don't even make sense anymore.

Jack_Simth
2011-08-01, 04:53 PM
I'm not joking that a Macrobe Tarrasque has approximately 1.8 million HP.

The Macrobe Tarrasque has something like 15000 feats to burn. I thought raising it to 1000 might be in order.

And no, I'm not intending to use this as a CR-appropriate challenge for anything. Levels in the four-five digits don't even make sense anymore.Things stop making sense someone where in the two digit range. With enough thought into making it not make sense anymore, things can not make sense from level 1.

magic9mushroom
2011-08-01, 05:11 PM
Things stop making sense someone where in the two digit range. With enough thought into making it not make sense anymore, things can not make sense from level 1.

Indeed, I am aware of this.

I just wanted to be able to stat it. Doesn't matter if the stats are balanced, since I'm not throwing a level 9001 party at it.

magic9mushroom
2011-08-01, 08:38 PM
Sneak into Warforge Juggernaut.

The build I use is to take the barbarian varient that rages at a set HP loss and mix with flameing berzerker for fire immunity.

Now you take two flaws to get toughness, troll blooded, and adimantium body. Get a ring of acid immunity.

Now you take damage until you rage, and then become imortal, ignoreing all damage. No template shananagins.

Warforged are ineligible for Troll Blooded.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-01, 08:59 PM
Indeed, I am aware of this.

I just wanted to be able to stat it. Doesn't matter if the stats are balanced, since I'm not throwing a level 9001 party at it.

You don't really need to bother with feats - just tie a pair of boxing gloves onto the hands of a epileptic monkey and stick it in front of a typewriter for a few minutes. Format the results into a statblock, add some labels, and you're done.

magic9mushroom
2011-08-01, 10:35 PM
You don't really need to bother with feats - just tie a pair of boxing gloves onto the hands of a epileptic monkey and stick it in front of a typewriter for a few minutes. Format the results into a statblock, add some labels, and you're done.

What?

And yes, I'm ignoring a lot of the IH material, especially where it makes no sense. But I do want a Tarrasque that's a thousand times the size of a "normal" one, and I needed some way to increase its regeneration.

Hmm... well, I could do it with an Aspect of the Leviathan instead if I had to, I guess. I hate working with the late-3.5 statblocks, though.

Basically, I'm trying to stat a full-sized "you dug too deep and unleashed the Soul of the World" monstrosity.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-01, 10:58 PM
What?

And yes, I'm ignoring a lot of the IH material, especially where it makes no sense. But I do want a Tarrasque that's a thousand times the size of a "normal" one, and I needed some way to increase its regeneration.

Hmm... well, I could do it with an Aspect of the Leviathan instead if I had to, I guess. I hate working with the late-3.5 statblocks, though.

Basically, I'm trying to stat a full-sized "you dug too deep and unleashed the Soul of the World" monstrosity.

It's my standard go-to joke regarding the IH - the entire book is basically what happens when you put boxing gloves on an epileptic monkey, give it a number pad to pound on for a few hours, then give names and fluff to the results. Utter nonsense of absurdly large numbers just for the sake of absurdly large numbers, from cover to cover.I don't like the IH.

If you're just going for Tarrasque*1000, stacking a zillion Rapid Regen feats is probably the way to go.

BobVosh
2011-08-02, 12:11 AM
I'm beginning to think glyph doesn't like that book.

You should just find a half something or other template to give it more regen. Might as well at this point. Only use that /- regen to ensure it can't die.

magic9mushroom
2011-08-02, 12:24 AM
Well, this is what I got. I didn't add the 12,276 ability score increases due to increased HD, or the feats, so it's actually a hell of a lot more impressive.

I deviated from IH and only added +80 Str and capped the size modifiers at -4 per size category.

Macrobe Tarrasque

Macro-Colossal Magical Beast

Hit Dice: 49152d10 + 1572864 (1843200 hp)

Initiative: +0

Speed: 640 ft. (128 squares)

Armour Class: 37836 (-48 size, +3 Dex, +37871 natural), touch -35, flat-footed 37833

Base Attack/Grapple: +49152/+49265

Attack: Bite +49161 melee (128d8+57/18-20/x3)

Full Attack: Bite +49161 melee (128d8+57/18-20/x3) and 2 horns +49156 melee (32d10+28)
and 2 claws +49156 melee (32d12+28) and tail slap +49156 melee (96d8+28)

Space/Reach: 960 ft./640 ft.

Special attacks: Augmented critical, frightful presence, improved grab, rush, swallow whole

Special Qualities: Carapace, damage reduction 15/epic, immunity to fire, poison, disease,
energy drain, and ability damage, regeneration 40, scent, spell resistance 32

Saves: Fort +24610, Ref +24581, Will +16386

Abilities: Str 125, Dex 16, Con 75, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 14

Skills: Like I care.

Feats: 16385 Feats not shown. Thinking Rapid Regen to 1000 and a bunch of loophole-closers, plus some of the combat feats that are thematic. That Will save also could use a boost, and at 50,000 HP a pop Epic Toughness isn't too bad.

Environment: The planet's core. Square-cube law means the ground is not going to support this thing.

Organisation: Solitary, I hope.

Challenge Rating: Over 9000.

Treasure: The planet.

Alignment: Always neutral.

Advancement: You nuts?

Level adjustment: Yeah, right, I'm so totally letting you play this.

BobVosh
2011-08-02, 12:38 AM
The damage on that thing is a bloody joke.
Only 1945 damage at whatever level that thing is average per round.

magic9mushroom
2011-08-02, 12:43 AM
The damage on that thing is a bloody joke.
Only 1945 damage at whatever level that thing is average per round.

Like I said, I neglected to add a few thousand to its Strength. It would be doing at least 5 times what you said (more if one uses the IH Virtual Size Category rules, which are insane).

And its CR's only supposed to be 16,408.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-02, 12:49 AM
I agree with glyph about IH. If it's not going to be a level appropriate encounter (if that is even possible, given epic spellcasting), why not just say it's immune to HP damage and other direct attacks and give it some homebrewed set of abilities to affect the characters? Make it more of an environmental hazard instead of a statted monster; earthquakes that tear the world apart don't have HP, after all.

magic9mushroom
2011-08-02, 12:54 AM
I agree with glyph about IH. If it's not going to be a level appropriate encounter (if that is even possible, given epic spellcasting), why not just say it's immune to HP damage and other direct attacks and give it some homebrewed set of abilities to affect the characters? Make it more of an environmental hazard instead of a statted monster; earthquakes that tear the world apart don't have HP, after all.

It's the principle of the thing. What I like about 3.5 is that everything plays by the same rules; since this is a monster, it too must have stats, even if they're too high to be of any particular relevance.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-02, 01:30 AM
It's the principle of the thing. What I like about 3.5 is that everything plays by the same rules; since this is a monster, it too must have stats, even if they're too high to be of any particular relevance.Unless you're letting your players use material from the monkey handbook on their own characters, it's a bit misleading to say the monsters are playing by the same rules, no? If what you mean to say is that everything has stats, that only has oomph if the stats have meaning. Sans cheese or epic shenanigans, there is no functional difference between 1 million+ HP and infinite HP. Whatever floats your boat, though. I'll get more productive.

Speaking of HP, epic toughness still sucks; it has over 1 million HP, so 50k more isn't going to do anything. Like you said, get feats that close the chinks in its armor, but also get it abilities like True Sight and ranged/area attacks with untyped or irresistable (maybe Vile) damage, and it might be a threat to whatever it's supposed to be up against.

magic9mushroom
2011-08-02, 01:54 AM
Unless you're letting your players use material from the monkey handbook on their own characters, it's a bit misleading to say the monsters are playing by the same rules, no? If what you mean to say is that everything has stats, that only has oomph if the stats have meaning. Sans cheese or epic shenanigans, there is no functional difference between 1 million+ HP and infinite HP. Whatever floats your boat, though. I'll get more productive.

All I'm really using from the monkey book is that size categories can go past Colossal. If my players want to go past Colossal, the rules apply for them, too.

Speaking of HP, epic toughness still sucks; it has over 1 million HP, so 50k more isn't going to do anything. Like you said, get feats that close the chinks in its armor, but also get it abilities like True Sight and ranged/area attacks with untyped or irresistable (maybe Vile) damage, and it might be a threat to whatever it's supposed to be up against.

It has 16k feats. It could gain another 50M HP with less than 10% of them.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-02, 02:07 AM
It has 16k feats. It could gain another 50M HP with less than 10% of them.I meant, if nothing ever does 1M damage, then 1M HP is enough. Might as well go the regeneration route.

magic9mushroom
2011-08-02, 03:45 AM
I meant, if nothing ever does 1M damage, then 1M HP is enough. Might as well go the regeneration route.

Ah.

Oh, also, while Vile damage is cool, I don't think it's appropriate here. The critter is specifically Neutral, not Evil.

What would you suggest for the whole "get untyped" thing?