PDA

View Full Version : A (Homebrew) Swordmage will mop the floor with a (Tome of Battle) Warblade, right?

Boci
2011-07-31, 07:30 PM
This year I ran a gestalt game in a homebrew setting, and I plan to re-start it in autumn. Problem is? I’m aiming for tier 3-4, and one of the players is a swordmage/eldritch knight (both homebrew). Let’s focus on the former for now, because I don’t have much problem with the latter.

Since I’m aiming for tier 3, the Swordsage should compare to a warblade. So let’s see how they fair up.

The swordmage class is available here: http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Swordmage

Also note: I love the swordmage class and really want to play one. I am not criticizing it, I am just trying to explain why I feel it is too powerful for my game.

Advantages of the warblade:
d12 vs. d8.
Doesn’t need to worry about spell resistance.
Gets to add intelligence to more things (reflex saves, crit confirm, flanking damage).

Swordmage advantages:
Better bonus feats.
Less MAD (Cha to hit and AC)
Gets to add Cha to AC, which is more important than the warblade’s “battle _____” abilities.
Slightly better skills choice (i.e. knowledge (arcane) and spell craft)

Same:
BAB, number of skill points per level, number of good and bad saves.

So far I’d say this is a tie, with possibly the swordmage emerging on top, depending on how many opponents have SR in the campaign.
So let’s look at what really matters: Manoeuvres vs. incantations. Now, incantations should be weaker in effect, because they have 3 important advantages over manoeuvres:
1. You can full attack with them
2. You know all of them (And thus no preqs limitation like the warblade)
3. You can ready more

The only draw backs they have are:
1. Inferior recovery mechanics (but they have with more anyway)
2. No stances
The second one is significant, but I don’t still think incantations are superior as a general concept so far.

So are they slightly weaker? No, not that I can tell. Granted, they do less damage, which gives the warblade a bonus at lower levels, but this disappears as soon as the swordmage gains his second attack, and even before then the swordmages has some advantages over the martial initiator.

Bear in mind, since my players are expected to optimize, I am only looking at the strongest incantations, and comparing them to the strongest manoeuvres.

Level 1:
Blink Plate – All the advantages of full plate, none of the disadvantages. Fair enough at lower levels, but after level 4 the opportunity cost is pretty negligible.
Grappling hook – Ranged grapple check, ignore size modifiers, option to automatically pull target into same square as you (so if you want you can grapple at close range (25ft + 5ft/2 levels), and versatility of having a grappling hook. If as a warblade I was offered this as a manoeuvre, I definitely consider it. Swordmages do not have to, they get automatically.
Light Bow – Attack with a bow, add state damage to it. So far fine, but dazed on a failed will save, dazzled on successful one? That already better than a 5th level warblade manoeuvre since theirs is a fort save, limited to melee range and gets no extra benefit. The light affect could is also a useful bonus, and its rarely going to be a big enough of a drawback.

Manoeuvres:
Well sapphire nightmare blade will deal more damage, but it has no utility value and it’s a melee attack that requires you to roll twice.

Level 2:
I didn’t really have much problem with the incantations at this level. Effectively at will teleport with the Blink Dagger is a bit iffy, so I would probably rule that you cannot attack an empty square or something, but apart from that it’s all good.

Manoeuvres:
Stone hammer will do way more damage than any incantation and emerald razor will be more accurate. Manoeuvres may even be more powerful at this level, but incantations a re better debuffers. Warblades now have wall of blades, but it has both advantages and disadvantages when compared to blink plate and its 1 level higher, so it should be better. Concentration saves do stand out as something the swordmage cannot replicate, so this tilts the advantage to the warblade.

Level 3:
Radiance: Brilliant energy greatsword. Powerful, but we all know brilliant energy is overpriced. Still, I’m not sure the fire damage was necessary. At 1d6/2 CL its not amazing but its not bad either, and it has a 15ft radius. And it only affects enemies, it offers no save, and it ignores resistance.
Sever Gravity: As written, this is a swift action to fly for 1 round/character level. Even with its duration it’s duration cut to 1 round (as I ruled it), it remains a potent ability.

Manoeuvres:
Iron heart surge is another unique affect, but not even concentration check damage will be able to beat radiance, especially with the latter’s area affect. I’d say swordmage wins for mobility and higher offensive power vs. an incredibly powerful but resource (1 standard action) consuming defensive ability.

Level 4:
Dragoon leap: Swordmages answer to tiger claw. Automatic crit instead of +4d6 damage. Note however this is a standard action so no second attack.
Star Of Courage: Attack, debuff enemies on successful save, buff allies and dispel attempt at darkness. And next comes your second attack.
Tempest Attribution: Your next attack. You do not attack, but you can black and counter your enemies attack.

Manoeuvres: As long as the swordmage doesn’t use dragoon leap, his damage will probably be lower, but tempest attribution will make up for this as its a defensive power that can also even out the gap in damage the round before. The warblade can find solace with lightning recover, but the swordmage can attack a second time instead.

Level 5:
Dancing guard: At level nine, swift action to gain an attempt to block 2 attacks. Next level, this becomes 4 attacks (its 2 per 5 levels), and if you need the offensive boost you can sacrifice these block attempts for an attack.
Dominate Whip: Dominate an hit opponent on a failed will save.
Earth Rod: Reflex save or be helpless for 1 round/6 levels, entangled for 1 round on a successful save.
Thrice Betraying dagger: As an attack action, teleport adjacent to 3 different target and attack them with a bane dagger that automatically matches their type, then teleport back to your original position. You only get 2 attacks with a full attack, this is an attack action. Also a chance for 4d6 SA damage, a lot of things can go wrong with this.
Winter’s Breath: Reflex save or be sucked into a huge air elemental’s whirlwind ability. This will most likely happen even if you miss the target, since it works like a splash weapon.

This is how far the game went, and ironically this is the level where the warblade crawls up into a ball and cries.

Final conclusion:
At lower levels the two seem balanced. The warblade is tougher and his manoeuvres are better, but the swordmage can ready more incantations and knows all of them.
This swiftly changes. Cha to AC as a deflection bonus makes up for the loss of hitpoints, and the swordmage cann full attack and their incantations start to have better affects, and last for longer than 1 round, something the warblade’s do not. Incantations are better before you consider the advantages they had at the start, and this is something a stance cannot make up for.

So, some questions:

1. Am I missing something that evens out the two melee classes?
2. Assuming I am not, should I ask the player to reroll, or give them an option to continue playing their character with a handy cap, like some racial hitdie?

Jude_H
2011-07-31, 09:07 PM
It looks like it has abilities equivalent to a Sorcerer 1-2 levels lower, but with a soft cap on optimization potential. That would basically conform to your assessment.

Its abilities look like they overshadow the Warblade's, but I don't see any that would make the Warblade redundant, so I wouldn't hesitate to allow them in the same game.

Boci
2011-07-31, 09:10 PM
It looks like it has abilities equivalent to a Sorcerer 1-2 levels lower, but with a soft cap on optimization potential. That would basically conform to your assessment.

Its abilities look like they overshadow the Warblade's, but I don't see any that would make the Warblade redundant, so I wouldn't hesitate to allow them in the same game.

Just to clarify, there was no warblade in the group (although there may be next year). Its just warblade is the power level I am aiming for a melee class.

Crow
2011-07-31, 09:21 PM
Forget Swordmage. Just go Lightning Warrior and refluff it as a Swordmage.

Just kidding. I don't think the Swordmage you've listed is too bad. I haven't scoured it for exploitable combos, but I think with a reasonable player, it would be just fine in your game.

Terazul
2011-07-31, 09:38 PM
Yeah, it will. It's a damn strong class. Fun though!

I made a pretty good post to DW about it awhile back when I was in a game with one. He admits it needs some work, but hasn't gotten around to it yet. As it stands, he really wants it to be on par with the Warblade, but as an analysis points out... :

Yeah, we've been off the past few weeks due to the holidays, but the next game should be this Saturday so I'll post any feedback from that session. Hmm. I can understand you wanting it to be around the same level of the warblade but... I'm not really seeing how? Like, just comparing the two's abilities in my game:

6th Level Swordmage has 13 Cants available per encounter without refresh; 4 Cantrips, 3 of each other level, all known.
6th Level Warblade has 4 without refreshing; 2 of at most being 3rd level, the rest lower. He has to pick specific ones.

Warblade has the edge as far as refreshing goes; He only needs a swift action to recover all his maneuvers. A Swordmage has to take a full-round action. Swordmage gets considerable more variety, as a Warblade picks and chooses his maneuvers, where Swordmage not only knows all of his list, but can also ready more to begin with. To top it off, many Cants scale; Maneuvers generally don't. Take Rending Claws for example. A 1st level Cant that is comparable to the 1st level maneuver Wolf Fang Strike; make two attacks, taking a -2 penalty to both. Cool! The main difference is that the Swordmage is limited to punching daggers (unless they take Incantation of Choice, in which case that's out the window), and also gets a bonus +1d6 if both attacks hit. +3d6 at 6th. And it's only as an attack action instead of a standard, so they could follow it up with another Cant at sufficiently high BAB. And they treat them as +1 weapons due to Enhanced Cant (or higher, if they Metacant it to a 3rd level slot), AND they get to use Charisma for their attack and damage roll. And to AC, but that's nothing to do with the ability itself.

The Swordmage gets scaling abilities, single attribute dependency, higher ability fluidity, and scaling weapons (and armor, including Blinkplate) just for being the class itself. Its abilities are also generally more powerful in general than maneuvers; A 3rd level Cant effectively gives you fly (albeit personal only) at-will. Yes, it takes up one of your per-encounter 3rd level slots, but it's still a 3rd level spell that's simply recoverable with a full-round action. I can't imagine any Swordmage passing that up. Or Disruptive Discharge either: an immediate action, 100 ft range Counterspell that also happens to do damage. I cannot think of a single 9th level Maneuver that is comparable to Annulment, either; On a failed save you lose all supernatural abilities. On a successful save, you're still treated as 6 levels lower than you actually are. And your action economy gets screwed. Or Ruby Prison; It's Forcecage.

And his response:

Easy answer next: I have not done any serious play-testing past about 10th level, so 6th-level and higher Incantations are mostly... guesses. I'd point out that most 9th level maneuvers are intended to be likely one-hit-kills, though.

Harder: Yeah, that's a rather thorough analysis, and you're right. I spent too much time looking at spells (for ideas, but I ended up balancing off of them too much), clearly. I really need to sit down and go through all of the Incantations...

So yeah. Beep boop.

Jude_H
2011-07-31, 11:14 PM
Just to clarify, there was no warblade in the group (although there may be next year). Its just warblade is the power level I am aiming for a melee class.
Then it's probably fine. If you're sticking to the Tier guide thing, its alternatives include the Ardent and Wilder, after all.

Boci
2011-08-01, 05:26 AM
Then it's probably fine. If you're sticking to the Tier guide thing, its alternatives include the Ardent and Wilder, after all.

Aren't they tier 2 (the wielder very low tier 2, but its still a full caster)? Besides, they operate under different systems, since they need to conserve their resources, Swordmages do not.

gkathellar
2011-08-01, 05:32 AM
Ardent and Wilder are both regarded as Tier 3. The Ardent's has a very small list of powers to choose from, and the Wilder has an extremely small number of powers known. It is possible, but extremely difficult and requiring extensive optimization, to use them as Tier 2 characters.

Boci
2011-08-01, 08:13 AM
Ardent and Wilder are both regarded as Tier 3. The Ardent's has a very small list of powers to choose from, and the Wilder has an extremely small number of powers known. It is possible, but extremely difficult and requiring extensive optimization, to use them as Tier 2 characters.

Okay, didn't know that, never seen any of the 9th power manifesters in play, but my second point on incantations / encounter vs. power points per day still stands. Plus without extra invested resources, most of their powers can only be used 1/round.

Anyway, so far I have 2 or 3 people saying it should be fine, but they haven't addressed the issues I said I had with the class. The one person who agrees with me however did have an analysis of their own to back their opinion up, so right now I think my initial assessment was right. Still not sure how to handle it though.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-01, 11:47 AM
Both wilder and ardent are tier two as they can both gain powers capable of breaking the game. They are not tier one becuse of the versitility issues, but both are low to mid tier two. Both can potentialy rearange thier powers as needed with reformation anyway.

Other tier twos are sorcerer, favored soul, and most other casters with select powers known from a large list up to 9th level spells/powers.

This Swordmage would apear to be a powerful tier three, but still tier three. Even then warblade is tier three also. No shapechange, not wish, no reality changeing abilities.

You don't pay atention to a lot of the lower level utility powers of a warblade or some of the breaking capablility of white raven abilites (mix any of the everyone gets a free charge+damage abilites with a flock of effigy ravens)

Jude_H
2011-08-01, 12:03 PM
Anyway, so far I have 2 or 3 people saying it should be fine, but they haven't addressed the issues I said I had with the class.
My assessment was almost identical to yours, so I didn't see a point in presenting it. The Swordmage is definitely stronger than the Warblade: its effects are bigger, more common and more flexible than anything in ToB.

Whether that means it should be banned is more subjective, and that was where I was saying 'No.' In a game restricted to Tier 3-4, 9th level spell effects are already going to be flying around at the appropriate levels. Those are more powerful than anything available to the Swordmage, and the classes that get them have room for more overwhelming optimization.

Boci
2011-08-01, 12:16 PM
In a game restricted to Tier 3-4, 9th level spell effects are already going to be flying around at the appropriate levels.

1. By what classes? Those like the beguiler and dread necromancer, but the wizard and cleric.
2. 9th level spells come into play at level 18, so they won't matter for a while.
3. Swordmage incantations are weaker than spells, but they can use them in every encounter, without needing to worry about running out.

You don't pay atention to a lot of the lower level utility powers of a warblade

Because at lower levels choosing utility comes at the price of lack of offensive power. A warblade starts with 3 maneuvres. Sudden leap will burn two.

or some of the breaking capablility of white raven abilites (mix any of the everyone gets a free charge+damage abilites with a flock of effigy ravens)

That's different (requires investing resources to make mooks with are fragile or requires a melee heavy party, which is situational), although that does remind me of white raven tactics which is a point to the warblade.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-01, 12:48 PM
Mountain hammer is great utility paired with combat ability. It's the ToB lockpick.

Level one will have restricted options, but really with a warblade you only need one good attack strike and everything else can be good utility. They have a great recovery method.

Steel wind will carry you for quite a few levels, and then nightmare blade for high dex foes. Power attack your way to damage with a two hander. Then you start looking at where you want to go with your character.

Jude_H
2011-08-01, 01:37 PM
1. By what classes? Those like the beguiler and dread necromancer, but the wizard and cleric.
2. 9th level spells come into play at level 18, so they won't matter for a while.
3. Swordmage incantations are weaker than spells, but they can use them in every encounter, without needing to worry about running out.
Based on the complete Tier list, Ardent, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Shadowcaster, Shugenja, Warmage and Wilder. As FS mentioned, the Ardent and Wilder should probably be bumped a Tier, but the PsyWar and PsyRog still have access to most of their tricks (but fewer timed daily, without shenanigans).

Comparing the Swordmage to the Dread Necromancer, the DN has level-appropriate Necromancy debuffs, insta-kills, blasts, buffs, summons, Magic Jar, Planar Bindings and a bunch of minions shambling around. The Swordmage has access to effects comparable to the first three and adds some melee punch, but has far fewer options and less versatility than are allowed by the rest of the class. They wouldn't be out of place in the same game.

9th level spells themselves aren't important, but the progression to 9th level spells is. It matches the Swordmage's advancement very closely, so neither the T3 caster nor the Swordmage look like they should be displaced (though certain abilities like Shapechange may leave the SM overshadowed).

I'm not sure the Swordmage's unlimited spells matter much. Very few have lasting effects to compound. I'd expect the biggest problem to be a dull tactical rut.

Boci
2011-08-01, 03:47 PM
Based on the complete Tier list, Ardent, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Shadowcaster, Shugenja, Warmage and Wilder. As FS mentioned, the Ardent and Wilder should probably be bumped a Tier, but the PsyWar and PsyRog still have access to most of their tricks (but fewer timed daily, without shenanigans).

Yes but none of those can challange a swordmage in melee, which is what I am interested in. Swordmage is more powerful than the ToB classes, ergo its too powerful for my game setting of mine.

(though certain abilities like Shapechange may leave the SM overshadowed).

Who has shapechange?

I'm not sure the Swordmage's unlimited spells matter much.

If I halve the mount of spells /day for a DN but make them /ecnounter instead, does that matter?

Jude_H
2011-08-01, 04:04 PM
Who has shapechange?
Ardent using its ACFs. Shugenjas with an interest in optimization.

If I halve the mount of spells /day for a DN but make them /ecnounter instead, does that matter?
It's not going to give the DN any more raw power, it's not going to give it any more versatility, it's just going to turn that part where the party says "we set camp for the night" into "we take a ten minute breather."

Yes but none of those can challange a swordmage in melee, which is what I am interested in. Swordmage is more powerful than the ToB classes, ergo its too powerful for my game setting of mine.
Cool. That sounds like your answer.

Boci
2011-08-02, 06:41 AM
Ardent using its ACFs. Shugenjas with an interest in optimization.

As I said I'm not familiar with how an ardent works, and nt that familiar with high level Shugenja. How does one get shapeshift? Is it on their list?

It's not going to give the DN any more raw power,

Wouldn't being able to use your highest level spells in each encounter translate to more raw power. Assuming 3 ancounters per day that means they can use their highest level spells 50% more.

Cool. That sounds like your answer.

Not so much answer so much as stance on the topic since my opening post. Its why I made this topic to see if there was anything I missed.

kestrel404
2011-08-02, 08:11 AM
At lower levels, the swordmage would actually have the advantage (I'd say until level 6 or so) due to staying power and versatility. After that, they're probably on par for a couple of levels and then the swordmage outstrips the warblade. By 20th level, the swordmage is on par with an optimized sorceror.

The issue is that the swordmage gets access to their whole spell list - which is a huge gap in ability compared with the warblade who ends up knowing 17 including stances. The number of incantations available to the swordmage at any one time (the number they've prepared) is also going to far outstrip the 7 readied maneuvers of the warblade. I'd go with a sorceror's progression of known spells to determine the number of incantations a Swordmage learns.

Comparing maneuvers against incantations, the power levels are individually quite similar except for one significant point. Except for stances and the occasional maneuver that inflicts status effects, all of the Warblade's abilities are effectively 1 round or less in duration. Compare this to the Swordmage, many of who's incantations last for Caster level rounds. Even taking into account the fact that the Warmage effectively gets infinite access to their maneuvers, the Swordmage has enough slots available at high level to layer buffs and debuffs on themselves and their target to make a Warblade's maneuvers pale in comparison. If you're going for comparable power levels, I would suggest giving limited uses on only the highest level abilities (the top two levels of incantations, so that by the time they're 4th level, they get infinite cantrips) and then re-balance the power levels of the incantations based on that.

Hope that helps.

Ernir
2011-08-02, 08:39 AM
I have DMed for one of these around ECL 5-7. It was somewhat outperforming the other damage-dealers, which included a competent (Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian + ToB + Homebrew, IIRC) charger and a blasting Wizard (who hadn't gotten his Incantatrix on at the time, but the metamagic reducers were at least starting to come online).

Most of the power of the class comes from how its actions are handled, I think. Much of its Stuff takes the place of an "attack action", which is something that is very easy to come by in 3.5. Just looking at iteratives, the Swordmage gains automatic "quickenings" of its Stuff at the cost of a -5 on to-hit rolls per additional quickening and spending a full-round action on the whole thing.

It isn't going to shatter settings in the way that someone with Shapechange/Planar Binding/the works on the spell list can. It can't really reach higher than T3 due to that. But it packs a very significant amount of oomph in combat.

Boci
2011-08-04, 11:38 AM
My personal take on how to fix the swordmage would be to make incantations more situational. For example, Thrice Betraying Dagger could just be a simple dagger attack, with the teleportation ascpect only working when the target is flat-footed.

However, I may not have time for any serious tweaking, so I may just have to ask him to reroll/train.

kestrel404
2011-08-04, 12:42 PM
My personal take on how to fix the swordmage would be to make incantations more situational. For example, Thrice Betraying Dagger could just be a simple dagger attack, with the teleportation ascpect only working when the target is flat-footed.

However, I may not have time for any serious tweaking, so I may just have to ask him to reroll/train.

If you're not looking to fix the class, but instead you're already playing the class and merely want it to be at a lower tier, that's not a problem. You merely play it as a lower tier class - do not make optimal choices, limit your own options, use only as much capability as you need, etc.

Playing a class at a lower tier isn't a problem - it's balancing the class so that it can't be optimized to the higher power level that's usually at issue. And that only because the higher tier classes make it so much easier to hog the spotlight.

Boci
2011-08-04, 12:51 PM
If you're not looking to fix the class, but instead you're already playing the class and merely want it to be at a lower tier, that's not a problem. You merely play it as a lower tier class - do not make optimal choices, limit your own options, use only as much capability as you need, etc.

Playing a class at a lower tier isn't a problem - it's balancing the class so that it can't be optimized to the higher power level that's usually at issue. And that only because the higher tier classes make it so much easier to hog the spotlight.

I prefer to allow players to play a class to its full potential, so I dislike having a class that be optimized above tier 3, especially since the line can vary between players and DM.

Fax Celestis
2011-08-04, 12:56 PM
Of note: the discussion of that wiki article is on the associated Competitor forum thread (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13). I haven't played one, but I'm good friends with the designer, and I know he's very interested in making sure it's balanced.

kestrel404
2011-08-04, 01:11 PM
I prefer to allow players to play a class to its full potential, so I dislike having a class that be optimized above tier 3, especially since the line can vary between players and DM.

Ah, it sounded like YOU were the one who was going to be playing the class.

Boci
2011-08-04, 01:14 PM
Ah, it sounded like YOU were the one who was going to be playing the class.

Nope, I've been DMing the class for 1 year and have decided it is too powerful.