PDA

View Full Version : Questions about making Steam work without internet and related matters

Demon 997
2011-08-01, 02:26 AM
In about 3 weeks I'm heading to Wales to attend an international school, and I won't have reliable internet for 4+ months. Is there anything I need to do to make Steam work? I can probably hook my computer up every few days/weeks but I won't be able to download anything larger.

I also want to know what mods I should get for Rome, Medieval 2 and Empire Total War, Mount and Blade: Warbands, and Fallout NV, as I want to be able to get everything I might possible want ahead of time.

Anything else I should know about making my computer work in the UK?

Suggestions for a good multi-region DVD player?

factotum
2011-08-01, 02:57 AM
Steam: you need to set it to work in offline mode--not sure how you do that, mind you. Why no Internet? I believe it's even got as far as Wales... :smallsmile:

Assuming we're talking a desktop computer, just check that the PSU is an auto-ranging type (most modern ones are)--if it isn't, it'll probably have a voltage switch on the back that'll need flipping to 240V. You'll need a UK standard power lead or an adapter to actually plug it in to the UK mains. Not sure about the monitor, though!

Don't have any suggestions about the other things, sorry.

MoelVermillion
2011-08-01, 03:29 AM
As long as you have your account details (account name and password) saved and remembered by steam then it will prompt you to ask if you want to use offline mode whenever it is opened and you don't have internet access.

BlackSheep
2011-08-01, 07:42 AM
I just had to look this up the other day, so I still had this page bookmarked:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

Those are the instructions for setting up Steam in offline mode.

Cheesegear
2011-08-01, 08:37 AM
I just had to look this up the other day, so I still had this page bookmarked:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

Those are the instructions for setting up Steam in offline mode.

The annoying part about the whole thing is that you need to be online in the first place to do it. Which is really annoying when your internet cuts out for whatever reason (like this one time, in Australia, there was a flood...), you find yourself unable to run Steam, even though you set it into Offline mode, it wont let you do it because you're not online.

...Seriously.

Triaxx
2011-08-01, 01:37 PM
On the other hand, if you do set to offline mode, you'll stay in offline mode until you swap back to online. I've got mine set to permanently offline, since I have slow internet at home, and it prevents it from downloading updates.

Top_Hat
2011-08-01, 01:43 PM
Steam will sometimes screw with you if it thinks you have internet but you are in offline mode anyways. Before you leave update steam and everything else, and then turn off your network adapter or however you want to kill your internet and everything should be fine.

Jonzac
2011-08-01, 04:54 PM
as for addons for Rome total War...Europa Barbaricum...VERY GOOD MOD

Grif
2011-08-01, 04:57 PM
Steam will sometimes screw with you if it thinks you have internet but you are in offline mode anyways. Before you leave update steam and everything else, and then turn off your network adapter or however you want to kill your internet and everything should be fine.

This. This a hundred times. Steam WILL screw with you if it even detects a whiff of network capability.

Demon 997
2011-08-01, 07:52 PM
Steam: you need to set it to work in offline mode--not sure how you do that, mind you. Why no Internet? I believe it's even got as far as Wales... :smallsmile:

Assuming we're talking a desktop computer, just check that the PSU is an auto-ranging type (most modern ones are)--if it isn't, it'll probably have a voltage switch on the back that'll need flipping to 240V. You'll need a UK standard power lead or an adapter to actually plug it in to the UK mains. Not sure about the monitor, though!

Don't have any suggestions about the other things, sorry.

While I do believe the internet has reached Wales, It's only gotten as far as the computer labs, not to our dorm rooms or to a wifi network. I'm on a laptop, but I'll be purchasing some kind of converter/adapter. Can anyone recommend a good one?

My Medieval 2 disc appears to be too scratched to work, I've sent a email to Sega support asking if they could send me a Steam CD key (I can provide proof of purchase), is there anything else I could do to get a new disc?

Suggestions for Medieval 2, Mount and Blade: Warbands, or Fallout NV?

Thanks for all the help so far.