PDA

View Full Version : Grappling + Touch spells - 3.5

Silus
2011-08-01, 01:38 PM
Something that I've been wondering about since my first campaign:

How are Touch spells/abilities dealt with when the user is grappled?

The question came about when an Owlbear Rogue in my first campaign grappled the Wright midboss and just ripped into him. Personally, I figure if you're holding onto something that can drain levels at a touch, you should at least be more susceptible to the touch abilities.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-08-01, 01:54 PM
Well, when you're grappling you can make attacks with light weapons (like a natural attack) so certainly a vampire or wight being grappled could use its energy-draining slam. Likewise, if a caster was holding the charge of a touch spell, he could use the same rule to release it while grappling (you can also try to cast the spell itself while grappling, so yeah...).

Edit: Also remember that grappling provokes an attack of opportunity (so you'd have to be more or less out of your mind to try grappling with a creature that drains life with its every touch).

Silus
2011-08-01, 01:58 PM
Would it negate Dex for being grappled atop the Touch AC? Makes sense if you think about it, what with movement being a bit hinky when holding onto something like that.

Also, while on the topic of grappling, would something with the following ability still get said ability while being grappled?

Shadow Blend: In any conditions other than full Daylight, a shadow creature can disappear into the shadows, giving it 9/10 concealment. Artificial illumination, even a Light or Continual Flame spell, does not negate this ability. A Daylight spell, however, will.

I ask because I very well may reuse the midboss at a later date and just want to be sure for things like this.

Greenish
2011-08-01, 02:04 PM
Would it negate Dex for being grappled atop the Touch AC? Makes sense if you think about it, what with movement being a bit hinky when holding onto something like that.No, while grappling you still get your Dex to AC against other grapplers (though not against anyone else).

Also, while on the topic of grappling, would something with the following ability still get said ability while being grappled?

Shadow Blend: In any conditions other than full Daylight, a shadow creature can disappear into the shadows, giving it 9/10 concealment. Artificial illumination, even a Light or Continual Flame spell, does not negate this ability. A Daylight spell, however, will.

I ask because I very well may reuse the midboss at a later date and just want to be sure for things like this.Yeah, you could use that since it's a SU ability, but remember it takes a standard action. Oh, and you should specify which edition you're talking about, since people tend to assume 3.5.