PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Rogue Racial Substitution

Aerlock
2011-08-01, 04:54 PM
The way I'm reading the Ranged Sneak attack ability on the Halfling racial sub levels in Races of the Wild, you don't actually get any extra Sneak Attack damage on a ranged attack you just get less on a melee Sneak Attack. Is this correct or am I misreading the entry?

- Aerlock

King Atticus
2011-08-01, 05:03 PM
No, it says: Whenever a halfling rogue delivers a ranged sneak attack with a thrown weapon or sling, she deals an extra 1d6 points of damage.

So as long as that ranged sneak attack is with a thrown weapon or a sling you tack on another d6. You just have to decide if that is more your character than melee because it costs you a die everywhere else.

Zonugal
2011-08-01, 05:11 PM
It does serve in getting into some prestige classes quicker though.

Aerlock
2011-08-01, 05:36 PM
No, it says: Whenever a halfling rogue delivers a ranged sneak attack with a thrown weapon or sling, she deals an extra 1d6 points of damage.

So as long as that ranged sneak attack is with a thrown weapon or a sling you tack on another d6. You just have to decide if that is more your character than melee because it costs you a die everywhere else.

Ok, so just as an example to help me wrap my head around it, a halfling rogue with this substitution level does +2d6 at 1st level with thrown weapon and +0 with a melee weapon while a non-halfling rogue does +1d6 with both? And this bonus doesn't increase with the other halfling substitution levels? So at 19 level a Halfling rogue is doing 11d6 on a ranged attack and +9d6 on a melee attack while a non-halfling rogue is doing +10d6 on both?

- Aerlock

King Atticus
2011-08-01, 08:14 PM
Ok, so just as an example to help me wrap my head around it, a halfling rogue with this substitution level does +2d6 at 1st level with thrown weapon and +0 with a melee weapon while a non-halfling rogue does +1d6 with both? And this bonus doesn't increase with the other halfling substitution levels? So at 19 level a Halfling rogue is doing 11d6 on a ranged attack and +9d6 on a melee attack while a non-halfling rogue is doing +10d6 on both?

- Aerlock

Yep, it can be useful as long as you stay on the outskirts of the scrum and have ways to get people flat footed. Get your friendly neighborhood wizard to work with you at low levels (until you can hit 20 with UMD for a wand) to slather the area with grease. :smallbiggrin: