PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] One Piece characters (WARNING: Spoilers up to very recent events)

Everest
2011-08-01, 06:06 PM
This seemed like the appropriate subforum to use for this. Anyone interested in making One Piece characters? It's rather ambitious, as there are a lot of absurdly powerful One Piece characters, but will prove interesting if anyone wants to contribute. Also, if this thread has been done before, if you point me that way, feel free to lock this thread.

I've been in the habit of wanting to make monsters on a whim lately, but then I thought, why not try characters? I downloaded Sandstorm and wanted to make Crocodile. So far, I'm thinking put the Sand Golem and Elder Air Elemental together in a Medium chassis, though with slightly different ability scores and maybe not quite the same feats, because they both have stuff I like that I think would work for him, as a baseline. Yes, this includes both monsters' Hit Dice crammed together; in the War of the Best, he got tackled by a guy who had just been shown throwing an iceberg (think of how much mileage a Hulking Hurler would get out of an iceberg) and all but shrugged it off a few panels later if I recall correctly. Crocodile has a lot of HP. Then give him most of the sand-based spells in Sandstorm as at-will supernatural abilities (not SLAs, because using his powers doesn't leave him open like casting a spell does) and a few as his primary melee attack form (using touch attacks), plus whirlwind, maybe some quickened/altered for better action economy, and some as constant effects, plus immunity to . . . well, just about everything except maybe spells that attack Will, unless hit by someone with Haki (which we should work on as a mechanic) or when he gets wet.

Being a Logia user, he's probably going to be well above what a non-epic party could handle unless you get just plain cheesy or something or if you specifically prepare lots of water-based attacks (admittedly, if he didn't begin the fight airborne, a tsunami spell would do him in pretty well). If we find ways for him to be more damaging, the CR is gonna be pretty high, but the above stuff sounds about right, though it might also include a few things that he didn't originally do, but that might make him that much more interesting/threatening.

Anyone have their own ideas, for other characters or for if my idea for Crocodile is too haphazard? By the way, is there a Sand Elemental, and if so which book is it in?

GloatingSwine
2011-08-01, 06:20 PM
You might be better off looking at a game system intended to model superheroes rather than torturing 3.5 for the purpose. After all, what would you peg, for instance, Garp's strength stat as, bearing in mind that the giant ball and chain he's been known to throw relatively effortlessly probably weighs in at something in the order of 10,000 tonnes.

Everest
2011-08-01, 06:33 PM
You might be better off looking at a game system intended to model superheroes rather than torturing 3.5 for the purpose. After all, what would you peg, for instance, Garp's strength stat as, bearing in mind that the giant ball and chain he's been known to throw relatively effortlessly probably weighs in at something in the order of 10,000 tonnes.

I figure there's another system that would fit better for this, and ability scores don't really do a lot of justice to One Piece characters. As I said in the opening post, it's kind of ambitious, but since 3.5 D&D is the system that I'm most familiar with, I want to see how well it could be done, if only for creating some of the more iconic heroes/villains (though Strength scores would be a problem . . .).

Sort of like in that one thread Shneekey has over in the 3.0/3.5/d20 subforum where people submit character concepts and he makes them work.

Merk
2011-08-01, 09:53 PM
First off, this world would probably use a Defense Bonus (from UA) instead of armor-based AC, as most characters I can think of are effective combatants without wearing armor. With that in mind:

Luffy: Monk 2 / Barbarian 1 / Psychic Warrior / Kensai. Snap Kick, Superior Unarmed Strike, Extra Rage, Tashalatora. Gear Second is the judicious application of whatever speed-boosting powers he can manifest. Gear Third is Expansion and various combat buffs. Some of the powers may be able to simulate his Haki abilities. Kensai is to enchant his fists with Throwing and Returning.
Zoro is likely a straight Warblade, possibly binding the soulmeld for extra arms and using that to take Multiweapon fighting. And EWP: Bastard Sword (Katana).
Usopp is perhaps something of a Rogue/Ranger taking the archery style and Craven, occasional Crafting skills/feats. He also has sick ranks in UMD.
Franky is a Warforged Artificer. Nothing to see here, folks.
Robin is an Archivist with massive Knowledge (History) and prepares a bunch of Hand-based spells (Mage Hand, Bigby's Line, etc.)
Brook is a Bard lich with persisted Walk on Water, Snowflake Wardance, and all of the Perform skills. All of them.

Everest
2011-08-01, 10:46 PM
For Chopper . . . none of the books have reindeer, do they? If not, just make him a halfling werepony Master of Many Forms with a bunch of potions and a maxed out Heal skill.