PDA

View Full Version : Dragonmark Balance?

Chaosblade
2011-08-01, 06:29 PM
So, my GM and I have been talking for the last few days about Heir of Siberys, and we both agree that it pales in comparison to Dragonmark Heir. We find this odd, considering that Siberys marks are supposed to be special. However, before I suggested any fixes, I wanted to bring it to this board to get some public opinions.

Heir of Siberys:

1. Requires level 12 and an Action Point feat.
2. An Action Point Increase and any 1 of 5 feats mostly to do with Action Points
3. Either 2/3 Spellcasting OR 2 Bonus Feats
4. 2 + Int Skills
5. Spells and Feats that supposedly get stronger with more powerful marks, but in reality most of these cap at Greater.
6. A level 7 or 8 ability, usable up to 2/day.

Dragonmark Heir:

1. Requires Level 4, a Dragonmark Feat, and an RP Feat I'd classify as Feat Tax.
2. An Action Point increase
3. Bonus feats in the form of better Dragonmarks
4. 4 + Int Skills
5. Any Dragonmark Spells and Feats that get stronger due to level of the Mark will eventually cap at 4th level, most of them.
6. Use of three different SLAs, 2/day.

Opinions?

Greenish
2011-08-01, 06:39 PM
Dragonmark Heir is pretty weak. A few low-level SLAs and a total lack of focus, uh-huh, that's what you took three feats to qualify for?

Heir of Siberys is slightly better (if you get to those levels). Only one feat to enter, high level SLAs, bonus feats or casting. Oh, and only three levels long.

[Edit]: Honestly, most of the House-specific ones from Dragonmarked are better than either of those.

Prime32
2011-08-01, 06:40 PM
There are some feats in the Dragonmarked supplement which are more powerful with a Siberys mark. I think there's one or two very powerful feats which require a Siberys mark.

Chaosblade
2011-08-01, 07:07 PM
That's just the problem. There's like, two or three. But out of maybe 12 or so feats tailored to Dragonmarks, the grand majority of them are best to use with a Greater Dragonmark, and thus Dragonmark Heir takes the crown.

NoldorForce
2011-08-02, 12:14 AM
The grand majority? Hardly. Many feats mention Siberys marks (sometimes making them equal to greater ones, sometimes not). Others make no distinction at all between categories. In fact, the only feats that don't work on Siberys dragonmarks are:
Feats that directly grant dragonmark powers, like Greater Dragonmark (which does what it says) and Dragonmark Visionary (which adds an additional power to a greater dragonmark).
Feats specific to aberrant dragonmarks, which are their own breed of things separate from both Heir of Siberys and Dragonmark Heir.
Quicken Dragonmark.
Unlock Dragonmark.
Out of 56 (give or take a few) feats applicable to some sort of true dragonmark, only 8 don't work on Siberys dragonmarks.