PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Touch Attacks!

Mordrigar
2011-08-01, 07:07 PM
Hello Playgrounders.

In my campaign I'm playing with dreadful Dread Necromancer. As you know, Dread Necromancer has an Supernatural ability called Charnel Touch. It's not very effective ability by the way but I'm trying to use it effectively.

So here are the questions:

1) If you prepare a touch spell (Inflict Light Wounds for example) and don't use it in that round, will you able to use it with your Charnel Touch on following round?

2) Also, what will happen if you are a Lich or a Vampire? (Answers could be different for each type I think)

3) What will Dread Necromancer 8 / Pale Master 10 Lich or (Vampire) attack with his grafted hand while having a touch spell on it? Can you use all your touch attacks (Charnel touch, graft's touch attack, lich or vampire's slam damage, spell that you've prepared) in same round?

I'm looking for official answers.

Thanks!

NNescio
2011-08-01, 07:19 PM
Hello Playgrounders.

In my campaign I'm playing with dreadful Dread Necromancer. As you know, Dread Necromancer has an Supernatural ability called Charnel Touch. It's not very effective ability by the way but I'm trying to use it effectively.

So here are the questions:

1) If you prepare a touch spell (Inflict Light Wounds for example) and don't use it in that round, will you able to use it with your Charnel Touch on following round?

2) Also, what will happen if you are a Lich or a Vampire? (Answers could be different for each type I think)

3) What will Dread Necromancer 8 / Pale Master 10 Lich or (Vampire) attack with his grafted hand while having a touch spell on it? Can you use all your touch attacks (Charnel touch, graft's touch attack, lich or vampire's slam damage, spell that you've prepared) in same round?

I'm looking for official answers.

Thanks!

Charnel Touch + Undead Type or Tomb-tainted Soul = 'Infinite' Healing.

Keld Denar
2011-08-01, 07:27 PM
Slams are something different. They are natural weapon attacks, not touch attacks. You CAN deliver a touch spell as a Slam, but you have to be holding the charge and you have to hit normal AC, rather than touch AC.

Basically, you have to look at each ability. If its something that simply happens (such as discharging a spell you are holding the charge on), then it would trigger when you touch the foe in any way, such as through a Charnal Touch or when making a Slam attack. If it something that requires its own action, such as Charnal Touch or attacking with a Slam, then you can't combine them as they both take their own actions to perform.

Pale Master's Undead Graft, for example, is a SU ability and thus requires a standard action to make since it doesn't specify otherwise. Thus, you can't combine it with a full attack, and you couldn't make it in combination with a Slam attack (since you need to full attack to make more than 1 attack in a round). The Paralyzing Touch of a Lich is likewise a SU, and requires a Standard action to activate. The lich simply touching someone isn't enough to trigger it. Vampire's Energy drain is also SU, but also includes the line:
"Living creatures hit by a vampire’s slam attack (or any other natural weapon the vampire might possess)" <snip> A vampire can use its energy drain ability once per round." So it isn't a standard action to use, but may be used when the vampire makes a slam attack (which is an attack action that requires either a standard action or full attack action). Charnal Touch is also SU, and doesn't specify otherwise, and thus is a standard action.

So no, you can't combine most of those effects. You could cast a spell in one round, and then deliver it with either a vampire's Slam attack, a Lich's Paralyzing Touch ability, a Pale Master's Undead Graft ability, or a Dread Necro's Charnal Touch ability, but that would take you two rounds, since the act of casting a touch spell only gives you a bonus touch attack, not a bonus Standard action to make any touching action you want. Thus, you'd have to cast the spell in one round, hold the charge, and then deliver it as part of another action on the next round which doesn't really gain you very much in the way of action economy other than a slight nova at the start of combat (which in itself is already limited, since you can't cast another spell while holding a charge).

Elboxo
2011-08-02, 11:36 AM
For preparing attacks there is a spell in the compendium called something
flower.... It let's hold a charged spell in each limb

Phloxine
2011-08-02, 01:06 PM
For preparing attacks there is a spell in the compendium called something
flower.... It let's hold a charged spell in each limb

Spell Flower. You can use multiple touch attacks this way in one round, but there is the normal penalties for multi-attacking.