PDA

View Full Version : (probable) stupid NPC question

NecroRick
2011-08-01, 09:04 PM
Hi.

I was looking through the Eberron campaign book , and it randomly sprinkles NPCs through it.

At the bottom of the NPC stats block they have their attributes e.g. Strength 17, but following each attribute is a number in parenthesis - which I had thought was the modifier for that attribute.

However, in each case the 'modifier' was two or three (ish) points higher than what I expected...

Is this an NPC thing that I don't know about because I haven't memorised the DMG? An Eberron thing? Something else entirely?

Argok
2011-08-01, 09:08 PM
Like with monsters. It adds half level. I think. I don't have books on me at the moment. I know it does it with monsters though.

NecroRebel
2011-08-01, 10:28 PM
Those are supposed to be the bonus that creature gets to attribute checks of that type. For instance, a Wereboars get +8 to STR checks when they have a reason to do such a thing. They're usually equal to the real attribute bonus plus half the creature's level, though.

Daftendirekt
2011-08-01, 11:27 PM
Hell, CB character sheets show that too. It shows modifier to the right of that attribute, and then to the right of THAT is your "check" amount.

For example, if you were to make an Intelligence check, that is the amount you'd add.

NecroRick
2011-08-02, 06:09 AM
Thanks, much appreciated. :D