PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Ideas about Mr. Scruffy's Identity

resound
2011-08-01, 10:16 PM
Let's have some fun! I don't really want to spark a debate of housecat or not housecat. Surely he's probably just a housecat, but I'm interested to hear people's theories about possible alternate identities for Mr. Scruffy. Here are some of the oddities about him:

He isn't killed instantly by a crossbow bolt. (Very low roll on damage with virtually no bonuses?)
He's capable of seriously injuring and killing NPCs, as in #611, #612 and #780. (Yes, this is surely just a gag, poking fun at the imbalances of D&D)
He detects the scrying eye in strip #698. (Normally, requires a spell)

I wonder if he might be some kind of Animagus, like in Harry Potter. (Possibly Girard?)

FujinAkari
2011-08-01, 10:26 PM
He is a housecat and Belkar's animal companion, thus he gets a lot of bonuses.

silversaraph
2011-08-01, 10:30 PM

He's obviously O-chul in disguise, so a crossbow bolt is the equivalent of filing your nails.

GSFB
2011-08-01, 11:19 PM
everyone knows a house cat will slaughter commoners.

SowZ
2011-08-01, 11:26 PM

Yep. Scruffy is probably getting 8 extra hit dice. That's somewhere around 22 HP. A hand crossbow doing 22 HP would be very impressive...

Anyway, it is still a fun question to ponder.

drebb
2011-08-01, 11:53 PM
I already put my chips down in another thread regarding this.

I think it's Draketooth. I don't care terribly if I'm wrong, but that's just my gut feeling.

FujinAkari
2011-08-02, 01:03 AM

I think it's Draketooth. I don't care terribly if I'm wrong, but that's just my gut feeling.

I am extremely certain that you're wrong.

Not only does it make NO sense, but how in the world would Tarquin know of Draketooth if he's been living as a cat all this time, and how would no one notice that a cat has been living in the palace for like 66 years?

Conuly
2011-08-02, 01:11 AM

Not only does it make NO sense, but how in the world would Tarquin know of Draketooth if he's been living as a cat all this time, and how would no one notice that a cat has been living in the palace for like 66 years?

Maybe this whole "living as a cat" thing is a recent plan.

RedCloakLives!
2011-08-02, 01:29 AM
Let's have some fun!

Well, from a player's perspective, a player could argue to the DM that having gone for so long without an animal companion, Belkar should get an extra good one for the last half the campaign.

I would stat out Mr. Scruffy as say, a panther. But a really little panther ... a half-pantherling! He just happens to look like a housecat.

Or, if you wanted to get more technical, you could treat him as a panther with a shrink spell.

:smallwink:

Thattaman
2011-08-02, 01:31 AM
Come on guys, can't you see it?

I think we may have uncovered the identity of the Monster in the Darkness...

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-02, 01:34 AM

The MitD is a shrunken panther? Deep bro. Deep...:smallcool:

ThePhantasm
2011-08-02, 08:25 AM
Hmm, I'll see what's going on at the OOTS forum.

Oh, everybody's looking too hard for twists again.

Zherog
2011-08-02, 08:26 AM

Actually, anybody with an Intelligence of 12 or greater can detect it (DC 10 Int check), no spell required.

Demonic1000
2011-08-02, 09:37 AM

Yep, at least 2 extra hit die, +2 Natural Armor AC and +1 Dex.

I would, however, prefer a black bear if I was Belkar. As a Small size creature - you can just use your bear as a bed, blanket AND pillow.

:belkar: Hello, fellow Medium-sized creature! How are you enjoying being Medium-sized, like me, on this lovely day?

resound
2011-08-02, 09:54 AM
Hmm, I'll see what's going on at the OOTS forum.

Oh, everybody's looking too hard for twists again.

Just having some fun. I don't think anyone here is looking hard. In fact, I think most of us are looking casually. :smallbiggrin:

resound
2011-08-02, 09:57 AM
Actually, anybody with an Intelligence of 12 or greater can detect it (DC 10 Int check), no spell required.

Do animal companions get a bonus to intelligence? I was under the impression that housecats had much lower intelligence (INT 2 in the 3.5 SRD).

resound
2011-08-02, 10:12 AM

I like this theory as well. I think he'd be likely to do something like this to keep a close eye on Soon Kim's affairs (due to his distrust of Kim's ability to keep his gate safe). When the gate was destroyed, he no longer needed to keep an eye on it, so he joined OOTS, to keep an eye on them as they try to protect the remaining gates.

Of course, I haven't quite figured out how he could remain shapechanged as a housecat for so long... ah, details. :smallsmile:

Zherog
2011-08-02, 10:39 AM
Do animal companions get a bonus to intelligence? I was under the impression that housecats had much lower intelligence (INT 2 in the 3.5 SRD).

You're correct about the Int, and animal companions do not get a bonus. I actually intended to mention that in my post, but somehow managed to leave it out. *scratches head* Oh well...

Acora
2011-08-02, 10:40 AM
While I think it would be cool if Mr. Scruffy was actually Draketooth, I highly doubt it's the case. I'm pretty sure that if a non-epic level kobold ranger shot an epic-level illusionist (He's a sorcerer or a wizard, right?) who happened to be disguised as a housecat, said epic-level character would have owned him the first second there weren't any witnesses.

I also don't think that Girard would care enough about Belkar to go pouncing into the arena just to kill a level one commoner.

Warmage
2011-08-02, 10:41 AM
Animal Companion (Ex)
At 4th level, a ranger gains an animal companion selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. If the campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the following creatures may be added to the ranger’s list of options: manta ray, porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the ranger on his adventures as appropriate for its kind.

This ability functions like the druid ability of the same name, except that the ranger’s effective druid level is one-half his ranger level. A ranger may select from the alternative lists of animal companions just as a druid can, though again his effective druid level is half his ranger level. Like a druid, a ranger cannot select an alternative animal if the choice would reduce his effective druid level below 1st.

So, the cat would be an animal companion allowed by the DM. At his ranger level, it would have at least +2 Hit DIce, +2 Natural Armor, +1 Str, +1 Dex, and 2 bonus tricks.

From the Class and Level Geekery thread:

Mr. Scruffy
True neutral male Tiny Animal (cat) animal companion
Attributes:
Str ≥4
Dex ≥16
Con 10
Int 2
Wis 12
Cha 7
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon FinesseB
Skills (≥6): Listen 2, Spot 2...
Abilities: Animal companion (≥+2 HD, ≥+2 natural armor, ≥2 bonus tricks, Link, Share Spells, and Evasion, possibly more depending on number of Belkar's levels of ranger), Cat Skills (+4 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Jump checks. Use Dexterity modifier instead of Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks. In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus rises to +8).
Items: None

Yukyuk's crossbow only does 1d6 damage without a sneak attack. Plus whatever feats he has or it's magical bonuses. Mr. Scruffy could easily survive a single shot.

NerfTW
2011-08-02, 10:58 AM
He's capable of seriously injuring and killing NPCs, as in #611, #612 and #780. (Yes, this is surely just a gag, poking fun at the imbalances of D&D)

In 611 and 612, he isn't the only one dealing blows. He's fighting alongside Belkar. You'll notice there's slash marks at Belkar's level as well. He's doing damage and flanking them, but he's not killing them on his own.

But yeah, animal companion. Belkar just doesn't know his class features well enough to realize he's picked one up.

ThePhantasm
2011-08-02, 11:27 AM
Just having some fun. I don't think anyone here is looking hard. In fact, I think most of us are looking casually. :smallbiggrin:

Well, I wasn't referring to you specifically. :smalltongue: I know some folks just come up with crazy ideas for fun. I have the sneaking suspicion though that others are very serious. I call it "twist paranoia." But maybe I'm misinterpreting.

Besides, I've seen this topic come up a few times before. I've seen a few folks suggest seriously that Scruffy is Shojo reincarnate.

Let me just say I hope Girard is revealed soon so we don't keep having theories that he is Tarquin / Malack / Thog / etc.

resound
2011-08-02, 11:30 AM
I suppose Mr. Scruffy could be Girard's familiar. Illusionists get familiars, don't they?

ORione
2011-08-02, 11:33 AM
I suppose Mr. Scruffy could be Girard's familiar. Illusionists get familiars, don't they?

Yeah. Illusionists are a type of wizard.

Demonic1000
2011-08-02, 01:08 PM
Yeah. Illusionists are a type of wizard.

Cursed gnomes...

Warmage
2011-08-02, 01:12 PM
You know, I don't think it says anywhere that an animal companion can't also be a familiar...

Maybe, Mr. Scruffy is both Belkar's animal companion and Girard's familiar.

Esprit15
2011-08-02, 01:30 PM
You know, I don't think it says anywhere that an animal companion can't also be a familiar...

Maybe, Mr. Scruffy is both Belkar's animal companion and Girard's familiar.
Read it again. Familiars (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#familiars)

Arcane_Secrets
2011-08-02, 01:48 PM

I don't think this theory is true at all either, but the part about being a cat living in the palace all that time is actually a pretty good plan. Cats are (comparatively) unobtrusive except when they're underfoot, would already have a decent lifespan if they're pampered/well fed, and would fit in in the palace. All he'd have to do is change his appearance every so often to give the impression that he's a new cat, or that he's growing the way a normal cat would and it could be pulled off.

faustin
2011-08-02, 01:51 PM
I reassert the Shojo ghost´s living anchor theory. Yeah, I am a stubborn one.

dps
2011-08-02, 02:37 PM
I reassert the Shojo ghost´s living anchor theory. Yeah, I am a stubborn one.

I think that actually has more merit than the "Mr Scruffy is Draketooth" theory.

resound
2011-08-02, 03:18 PM
I think that actually has more merit than the "Mr Scruffy is Draketooth" theory.

I'm not familiar with "living anchors". Is it a spell, or some kind of ghostly feat? I assume it's as if Lord Shojo is possessing the housecat. What kind of abilities would this convey to the cat?

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-02, 03:55 PM
I'm not familiar with "living anchors". Is it a spell, or some kind of ghostly feat? I assume it's as if Lord Shojo is possessing the housecat. What kind of abilities would this convey to the cat?

The abilities of a 14th level aristocrat who cant speak common of course!

Acora
2011-08-02, 04:11 PM

So you're saying, Mr. Scruffy would be an.... Aristocat?

I apologize for that profusely.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-02, 04:13 PM

Aww... I liked that movie. Wasn't exactly Disney's BEST work, but wasn't terrible. Then again, the butler...:smalleek:

resound
2011-08-02, 04:36 PM

Nice! Unfortunately, Disney has the copyright on that designation, so I imagine you'll be served notice shortly. :smalltongue:

rewinn
2011-08-02, 04:41 PM
Nice! Unfortunately, Disney has the copyright on that designation, so I imagine you'll be served notice shortly. :smalltongue:

What sort of hit dice do lawyers have?

faustin
2011-08-02, 05:16 PM

Well, that should fit nicely in the level of half-competence of the Order.:smallwink:
The point is, after Belkar´s enlightenment dream about "The Philosophy of Chaos" the idea of Shojo spirit trying to use his old cat familiar to manipulate/help the Order, is still in my head.

veti
2011-08-02, 05:18 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/Pink_Panther.png?
?
Makes perfect sense to me.

Willis888
2011-08-02, 05:53 PM
Mr. Scruffy is a high level rogue with maxed Bluff and Disguise, and appearing to be a housecat is just a trick of the light. It may be Haley's real father, who has been plotting to overthrow the real rulers of the Empire of Blood (the invisible ones).

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-02, 06:24 PM
Mr. Scruffy is a high level rogue with maxed Bluff and Disguise, and appearing to be a housecat is just a trick of the light. It may be Haley's real father, who has been plotting to overthrow the real rulers of the Empire of Blood (the invisible ones).

Just like Mr. Bear! A bear with so many ranks in disguise he can do anything! Those who make successful spot checks shall be called loons and crazies! All will bow before Mr. Bearington!:smalltongue:
"Hey Mr. Bearington, what do you think of the statue in honor of your services to the town?"
"Rawr."

resound
2011-08-02, 07:53 PM
What sort of hit dice do lawyers have?

Disney lawyers are indestructible! :smallfurious:

resound
2011-08-02, 07:55 PM

Settle down, Elan. :smalltongue:

LuPuWei
2011-08-03, 01:54 AM
The MitD is a shrunken panther? Deep bro. Deep...:smallcool:

Shrunken Panther Darkened Monster

James Lu
2011-08-03, 02:32 AM
Shojo's Secret Assassin? That wouldn't be too far-fetched, that cat has garrotted a lot of people for Belkar and is quite hardy, I mean sure Scruffy's expression is a pained one, but he's got a friggin' arrow in his side! That's quite impressive for a cat.

iBear
2011-08-03, 09:51 AM
I like this theory as well. I think he'd be likely to do something like this to keep a close eye on Soon Kim's affairs (due to his distrust of Kim's ability to keep his gate safe). When the gate was destroyed, he no longer needed to keep an eye on it, so he joined OOTS, to keep an eye on them as they try to protect the remaining gates.

Of course, I haven't quite figured out how he could remain shapechanged as a housecat for so long... ah, details. :smallsmile:

So Girard, who believes so strongly in everyone minding their own Gate business that he bets that a paladin will break his oath first, shapechanged into a housecat and manipulated events so he would be chosen as the ruler of Azure City's personal pet. He played the part so well that Shojo had no reason to employ their magical resources to make sure this housecat was just a housecat.

Of course, OotS takes place in a world where a decent percentage of the population is a sentient animal, can turn into an animal, can create an animal to do their bidding, or has a loyal animal follower, but Girard managed to pass all of his cat bluff checks. Girard is so invested in his role that, even when one of the gates was under direct threat by an epic undead sorcerer and an army of hobgoblins, he chose to remain in cat form instead of helping with the battle.

Even though he's been around long enough to know that the OotS is going to the Western Continent to find his gate so they can defend it from the same epic undead sorcerer who seeks to control the gates for nefarious purposes, he thinks the best move is to let them fumble around the desert for a while, return to town, and give the lich more time to do whatever he's planning. Maybe he stayed polymorphed into a cat so long that his psyche shattered and he really thinks he's a cat? Maybe it's the only way he could get decent tummy rubs and ear scratchies? Maybe he just really likes free fish?

You'd need an industrial crane to suspend the disbelief needed if Mr. Scruffy turns out to be Girard.

resound
2011-08-03, 11:42 AM
You'd need an industrial crane to suspend the disbelief needed if Mr. Scruffy turns out to be Girard.

Or Mr. Scruffy, is Girard's familiar, if that's easier to believe. The idea is to be creative. Maybe he's Catfolk... :smallbiggrin:

iBear
2011-08-03, 11:54 AM
{Scrubbed}

resound
2011-08-03, 04:48 PM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

I actually kind of like this one. :roach:

Retech
2011-08-04, 05:16 PM
Ya know, Belkar's level is pretty much the same as Mr. Scruffy's. :smallbiggrin:

SowZ
2011-08-04, 05:25 PM
Ya know, Belkar's level is pretty much the same as Mr. Scruffy's. :smallbiggrin:

Maybe Mr. Scruffy has some levels in an obscure beast class that allows him to take Belkar as his humanoid companion.

Snails
2011-08-04, 06:27 PM
Animal Companion fits very well.

But in the spirit of wild speculation, how about Mr. Scruffy is a high level Druid in disguise?

Esprit15
2011-08-04, 06:54 PM
I actually kind of like this one. :roach:

Dang it! What was it!?:smallfrown:

resound
2011-08-04, 09:17 PM
Dang it! What was it!?:smallfrown:

It was - Mr. Scruffy is a secret agent of the Snarl, who is trying to free the Snarl.

Esprit15
2011-08-04, 09:34 PM
Seems like an odd thing to scub.

resound
2011-08-05, 11:49 AM
Seems like an odd thing to scub.

The way I understand it, if any part of a scrubbed message is quoted (no matter how benign that part is), it gets scrubbed too. :smallcool:

Hopeless
2011-08-10, 06:24 AM
Let's have some fun! I don't really want to spark a debate of housecat or not housecat. Surely he's probably just a housecat, but I'm interested to hear people's theories about possible alternate identities for Mr. Scruffy. Here are some of the oddities about him:

He isn't killed instantly by a crossbow bolt. (Very low roll on damage with virtually no bonuses?)

I wonder if he might be some kind of Animagus, like in Harry Potter. (Possibly Girard?)

More likely he's the avatar of the cat god the one who was declined membership of the twelve gods of azure city and you know that cat ain't going to take THAT lying down!

Mr wolf animal companion is about to meet Death's lil' helper I suspect just after Mr Scruffy runs past him, can you say attack of opportunity? Or better yet have the wolf corner Mr Scruffy and then we find out Belkar is behind him!
The only thing better than an attack of opportunity is one that grants combat advantage!

Hopeless
2011-08-10, 06:49 AM
Well, I wasn't referring to you specifically. :smalltongue: I know some folks just come up with crazy ideas for fun. I have the sneaking suspicion though that others are very serious. I call it "twist paranoia." But maybe I'm misinterpreting.

Besides, I've seen this topic come up a few times before. I've seen a few folks suggest seriously that Scruffy is Shojo reincarnate.

Let me just say I hope Girard is revealed soon so we don't keep having theories that he is Tarquin / Malack / Thog / etc.

Now THAT would be fun indeed!

stick1975
2011-08-10, 11:14 AM
One word:
CTHULHU

resound
2011-08-10, 03:20 PM
One word:
CTHULHU

Actually, I believe it would be Cathulhu (http://www.heroesoflesserearth.com/2007/03/hole_comic_2007-03-13gif/).

OrzhvoPatriarch
2011-08-10, 06:42 PM
He is likely just Belkar's animal companion, but such the title of this thread is -alternate- ideas about Mr. Scruffy's Identity...

He is really an awakened Cat with Ranger levels with Belkar as his animal companion, and will replace him when his time is up.

faustin
2011-08-10, 06:50 PM
The cat is a lie.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-10, 06:56 PM
The cat is a lie.

Dude, Portal 2 came out like, months ago. Referencing the first one's epic meme is no longer allowed on the Internet. We have to ask you to turn in your registration card. You dun goofed.

VanBuren
2011-08-16, 03:52 PM
Dude, Portal 2 came out like, months ago. Referencing the first one's epic meme is no longer allowed on the Internet. We have to ask you to turn in your registration card. You dun goofed.

Although I'm still fond of "The Cake is a Spy" and I find "Thine pastry is untrue!" to be funny.

Incidentally, the "You dun goofed" guy died of a heart attack the other day. Sad stuff.

Mercenary Pen
2011-08-16, 06:24 PM
Now, as a slightly more off the wall suggestion, I reckon that Mr. Scruffy is in fact The Giant shapechanged and somehow inside his own webcomic (although it could be Roland St. Jude).

Also, you've got it all wrong. Mr. Scruffy is an awakened cat Ranger (who refuses to speak common due to the lack of intelligent conversation) and Belkar is his animal companion.:smallwink:

OrzhvoPatriarch
2011-08-16, 07:42 PM
He is likely just Belkar's animal companion, but such the title of this thread is -alternate- ideas about Mr. Scruffy's Identity...

He is really an awakened Cat with Ranger levels with Belkar as his animal companion, and will replace him when his time is up.

Also, you've got it all wrong. Mr. Scruffy is an awakened cat Ranger (who refuses to speak common due to the lack of intelligent conversation) and Belkar is his animal companion.:smallwink:

Great minds think alike:smallbiggrin: