PDA

View Full Version : Evil Usurpers (IC)

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-01, 10:45 PM
Kelith is in Six Stair Circle. The streets are calm and serene. A nearby fountain fills the air with the sound of flowing water, and patrols of templar wander around their respective temples.

Arim is currently in the Merchant District, the hustle and bustle being quite overwhelming. People are rushing to market.

Connor is inspecting a potential office in a halfway respectable walk-up in Hell's Latrine. The man who's showing him the place is short and extremely hairy.

riccaru
2011-08-01, 10:59 PM
Kelith is in Six Stair Circle. The streets are calm and serene. A nearby fountain fills the air with the sound of flowing water, and patrols of templar wander around their respective temples.

Arim is currently in the Merchant District, the hustle and bustle being quite overwhelming. People are rushing to market.

Connor is inspecting a potential office in a halfway respectable walk-up in Hell's Latrine. The man who's showing him the place is short and extremely hairy.

Is there any furniture or anything inside the office now?

"It's alright, but what makes it better than the other places for rent, hmm? You're asking a steep price for a run down old part of a run down old city."

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-01, 11:19 PM
Is there any furniture or anything inside the office now?

"It's alright, but what makes it better than the other places for rent, hmm? You're asking a steep price for a run down old part of a run down old city."

There's a pile of broken wood in the corner. The last tenant was unhappy.

"It's right in the heart of the city, that most vile and visceral core. Who could not delight at the view of Mirage across the street?"

He motions out the window to a brighly lit building with the words "Mirage" across the front.

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-02, 03:54 AM
Arim Trenbor

Deciding against going to market with the massive crowd of people, Arim instead begins to walk towards the Theatre District to see what shows are currently running.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-02, 08:23 AM
Arim Trenbor

Deciding against going to market with the massive crowd of people, Arim instead begins to walk towards the Theatre District to see what shows are currently running.

After making his way through the hustle and bustle, he comes to the theatre district. Two productions seem to be sucking up most of the ticket sales, "A man named Dorun" and "Detection and Action" a biographic and comedic piece repsectively.

Archwizard
2011-08-02, 02:18 PM
Kelith stalks the streets of Six Stair Circle, avoiding his old temple, scowling and looking around. I need something to do, Kelith snarls to himself. This is too quiet.

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-02, 05:21 PM
After making his way through the hustle and bustle, he comes to the theatre district. Two productions seem to be sucking up most of the ticket sales, "A man named Dorun" and "Detection and Action" a biographic and comedic piece repsectively.

As one might expect from a former jester, Arim tends to enjoy a good comedy. Considering whether or not he would find the play interesting, he briefly recalls what he has heard about "Detection and Action."

Bardic Knowledge-Bard level: 5, Int mod: 4
[roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-02, 05:22 PM
As one might expect from a former jester, Arim tends to enjoy a good comedy. Considering whether or not he would find the play interesting, he briefly recalls what he has heard about "Detection and Action."

Bardic Knowledge-Bard level: 5, Int mod: 4
[roll0]

It's the tale of an inept paladin who smites first and asks questions later, his ever-suffering rogue sidekick having to clean up after him.

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-02, 05:44 PM
It's the tale of an inept paladin who smites first and asks questions later, his ever-suffering rogue sidekick having to clean up after him.

Thinking that the play sounds entertaining, he decides to see about purchasing a ticket.

Would he just go to the appropriate theater to do that?

Archwizard
2011-08-02, 06:10 PM
Kelith looks around and shakes his head. Enough of this. Maybe the slums will have something interesting going on.

He stalks off towards Acheron’s Respite to see if anything is going on there.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-02, 11:14 PM
Thinking that the play sounds entertaining, he decides to see about purchasing a ticket.

Would he just go to the appropriate theater to do that?

He approaches the wicket and buys his ticket for 7 cp (and he gets a wafer at intermission)

You are correct.

Kelith looks around and shakes his head. Enough of this. Maybe the slums will have something interesting going on.

He stalks off towards Acheron’s Respite to see if anything is going on there.

Walking through the alleyways, he eventually comes through twists and turns to Acheron's Respite. Sadness is the way of it here, cast down faces abound.

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-02, 11:24 PM
He approaches the wicket and buys his ticket for 7 cp (and he gets a wafer at intermission)

Taking the ticket, Arim thanks the seller and enters the theatre.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-02, 11:25 PM
Taking the ticket, Arim thanks the seller and enters the theatre.

Arim is in luck, as the show is going to start in half an hour. After some waiting, and a man coming round taking orders for drinks at intermission, the play starts.

The first act is concerned with the early childhoodof the two main characters.

Archwizard
2011-08-03, 09:09 AM
These weak fools are even more depressing, Kelith snarls to himself. I might as well get some food while I'm down here.

With that thought, Kelith finds the closest food service place.

I realized I forgot to put languages/money left over on my sheet. I did that, and assuming I did my math correctly, I have 1,000 gp. Do we have to track things like buying this food (which I'm assuming will be dirt [literally?! :smalleek:] cheap, or that 7cp theatre ticket?

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-03, 04:14 PM
These weak fools are even more depressing, Kelith snarls to himself. I might as well get some food while I'm down here.

With that thought, Kelith finds the closest food service place.

I realized I forgot to put languages/money left over on my sheet. I did that, and assuming I did my math correctly, I have 1,000 gp. Do we have to track things like buying this food (which I'm assuming will be dirt [literally?! :smalleek:] cheap, or that 7cp theatre ticket?

Coming to the Dancing Mermaid (it's right across the street from the alleyway that connects to Six Stair Circle), he finds the door heavy but it opens after some pushing.

Inside, a woman works behind the bar, slim with dirty blonde hair tied back with a ribbon.

Two children run around the place excitedly, while you can see a young infant in the corner sleeping.

If you'd prefer, we could use the upkeep rules in the DMG, so that you jsut pay out each month an average amount based on your lifestyle.

Archwizard
2011-08-03, 04:46 PM
Kelith narrows his eyes at the children, but says nothing. He walks up to the woman and almost growls, "Give me some decent meat to eat, and some ale."

Re: DMG, I'd much prefer that, it'll make it easier on all of us I think. If you think it'll be too much effort for you we can do it the other way of course. Also, I added a bit of a physical description to my human sheet. The robes are intended to fit a large creature, so that when he assumes hybrid form he is still wearing them.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-03, 05:27 PM
Kelith narrows his eyes at the children, but says nothing. He walks up to the woman and almost growls, "Give me some decent meat to eat, and some ale."

Re: DMG, I'd much prefer that, it'll make it easier on all of us I think. If you think it'll be too much effort for you we can do it the other way of course. Also, I added a bit of a physical description to my human sheet. The robes are intended to fit a large creature, so that when he assumes hybrid form he is still wearing them.

The woman looks at you unimpressed with your attitude.

"Find a table, I'll bring you something. Would you prefer the fish or the pork?"

Archwizard
2011-08-03, 08:41 PM
"Pork."

Kelith finds the most remote table he can (preferably in a corner, away from those kids) and sits in it.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-03, 08:43 PM
"Pork."

Kelith finds the most remote table he can (preferably in a corner, away from those kids) and sits in it.

He is brought a plate with a slice of pork, small but nice, a few turnips and small onions, and a smal bowl of meal. The woman returns soon with a half-pint of ale.

Archwizard
2011-08-07, 06:31 PM
Kelith heartily eats the food, appreciating the relative solitude of the place. After he finishes his meal, Kelith orders another ale and puts his head back with his eyes narrowed to slits, contemplating his next action while enjoying the ale.

His hands, when not holding his ale, tend to clench and unclench rhythmically in a manner Kelith is mostly unaware of.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-07, 07:37 PM
Kelith heartily eats the food, appreciating the relative solitude of the place. After he finishes his meal, Kelith orders another ale and puts his head back with his eyes narrowed to slits, contemplating his next action while enjoying the ale.

His hands, when not holding his ale, tend to clench and unclench rhythmically in a manner Kelith is mostly unaware of.

A tall and muscular man walks in, and the woman runs over to hug him and give him a kiss. He is wearing a guard's tabard and carrying a halberd, with a longsword at his belt and a shield slung over his shoulder. After embracing the woman, he moves to give the children hugs.

Archwizard
2011-08-08, 11:51 AM
Kelith watches the man without moving a muscle. Ugh, what a display. Figures, I pick a place where the owner is a guard.

Kelith, knowing he has no beef with this guard, doesn't expect trouble, but he nevertheless relaxes himself, ready to spring into action, just in case.

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-08, 05:23 PM
After the conclusion of the play, Arim exits the theatre and, once again, heads to the Merchant District to see whether or not the crowd has died down at all.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-08, 10:16 PM
Kelith watches the man without moving a muscle. Ugh, what a display. Figures, I pick a place where the owner is a guard.

Kelith, knowing he has no beef with this guard, doesn't expect trouble, but he nevertheless relaxes himself, ready to spring into action, just in case.

The man approaches your table.

"Everything alright with your food sir?"

After the conclusion of the play, Arim exits the theatre and, once again, heads to the Merchant District to see whether or not the crowd has died down at all.

As Arim leaves, a dwarf approaches.

"Sir, you seem to be a man of learning. Would you perhaps have an interest in some books?"

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-09, 12:21 AM
The man approaches your table.
As Arim leaves, a dwarf approaches.

"Sir, you seem to be a man of learning. Would you perhaps have an interest in some books?"

Always willing to read decent literature and interesting texts, fiction or otherwise, Arim turns to the dwarf. "Possibly," he responds. "What and who are the titles and authors?"

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-09, 09:24 AM
Always willing to read decent literature and interesting texts, fiction or otherwise, Arim turns to the dwarf. "Possibly," he responds. "What and who are the titles and authors?"

"I am one of the owners of Helmutsend's Bookbinders and Gourmet Sausage Works. Lately, a book has appeared on the shelves that we did not bind, written in elven."

Archwizard
2011-08-09, 08:38 PM
Kelith opens his eyes a little, but otherwise doesn't move. "My food was very satisfactory," he says, "but I would appreciate getting the second ale I ordered."

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-10, 10:40 PM
Kelith opens his eyes a little, but otherwise doesn't move. "My food was very satisfactory," he says, "but I would appreciate getting the second ale I ordered."

The man walks back to the bar and brings another half pint for you.

Archwizard
2011-08-11, 12:38 AM
Kelith accepts the drink with a nod and says, "Thank you." He then leans back again, drink in hand.

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-11, 05:11 PM
"I am one of the owners of Helmutsend's Bookbinders and Gourmet Sausage Works. Lately, a book has appeared on the shelves that we did not bind, written in elven."

"I suppose that you require someone fluent in the Elven language to translate the title for you."

Arim pauses for a moment before continuing. "Books and sausages, you say?"

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-11, 09:57 PM
"I suppose that you require someone fluent in the Elven language to translate the title for you."

Arim pauses for a moment before continuing. "Books and sausages, you say?"

"We used to be a bookbinder's, back when my father was owner. Then I took over after the untimely death of my brother in the dwarf purges, and I am learning the craft with the help of my cousin. I am, however, a butcher and sausagemaker by trade."

Archwizard
2011-08-14, 08:58 PM
Kelith pays for his meal and leaves. Time to head to Merchant's Street.

As Kelith walks the streets, his unconscious clenching and unclenching of his fists continues.

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-17, 12:51 AM
"We used to be a bookbinder's, back when my father was owner. Then I took over after the untimely death of my brother in the dwarf purges, and I am learning the craft with the help of my cousin. I am, however, a butcher and sausagemaker by trade."

After silently noting the idea of combining bookbinding and sausage making and deciding that he has no other plans anyway, Arim tells the Dwarf, "I suppose I'll have a look, then."

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-17, 12:53 AM
After silently noting the idea of combining bookbinding and sausage making and deciding that he has no other plans anyway, Arim tells the Dwarf, "I suppose I'll have a look, then."

"Very good then. Come, we mut hurry to beat the rush from the other theatres."

You hurry to the shop, which immediately closes up, doors locked and windows barred. The dwarf brings over a book wrapped up in silk cloth.

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-21, 02:45 AM
"Very good then. Come, we mut hurry to beat the rush from the other theatres."

You hurry to the shop, which immediately closes up, doors locked and windows barred. The dwarf brings over a book wrapped up in silk cloth.

Arim looks suspiciously at the locked doors and barred windows, commenting in a dry tone, "Is this one of those "adult novels," then?"

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-21, 01:38 PM
Arim looks suspiciously at the locked doors and barred windows, commenting in a dry tone, "Is this one of those "adult novels," then?"

"Very likely." He drops a large tome down on the table, covered in blood red leather and black iron.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-21, 02:16 PM
Kelith pays for his meal and leaves. Time to head to Merchant's Street.

As Kelith walks the streets, his unconscious clenching and unclenching of his fists continues.

There's a few wagons stuck in gridlock trying to get into the city, and some people are swarming a new stall that sells fruit.

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-21, 05:10 PM
"Very likely." He drops a large tome down on the table, covered in blood red leather and black iron.

Arim examines the cover, in case there is a title, and then reaches forward to open the book.

Archwizard
2011-08-24, 06:23 PM
Kelith heads over to the fruit stall to see what all the commotion is. He shoulders people out of his way as necessary to get up front.

riccaru
2011-08-24, 06:36 PM
Conner contemplates for a while before nodding slowly. "Yes, this might well do. You'll be hearing from me soon." With a grin he leaves, heading to the more respectable area of the city, hoping to find something to pass his time.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-25, 10:25 PM
Arim examines the cover, in case there is a title, and then reaches forward to open the book.

The book does not seem to have anything like a title on it, but instead a symbol, a skull on a sunburst ringed by teardrops. On the first page, you see a carefully scribed note marked at the top with five lines through a circle arranged in a fan shape. The note warns that the research contained within is most hazardous to those not prepared.

Kelith heads over to the fruit stall to see what all the commotion is. He shoulders people out of his way as necessary to get up front.

The merchant holds in his hand a fruit, strange and a purple-orange mixture in colour. He claims it tastes exactly like Elven Honeymead.

Conner contemplates for a while before nodding slowly. "Yes, this might well do. You'll be hearing from me soon." With a grin he leaves, heading to the more respectable area of the city, hoping to find something to pass his time.

To the west is the docks and angler's wharf, to the east is Six Stair Circle.

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-26, 11:01 PM
The book does not seem to have anything like a title on it, but instead a symbol, a skull on a sunburst ringed by teardrops. On the first page, you see a carefully scribed note marked at the top with five lines through a circle arranged in a fan shape. The note warns that the research contained within is most hazardous to those not prepared.

I make a Bardic Knowledge check to see if I recognize that symbol.

Bard Level: 5, Int Mod: 4
[roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-26, 11:02 PM
I make a Bardic Knowledge check to see if I recognize that symbol of V-...that symbol which may or may not be familiar.

Bard Level: 5, Int Mod: 4
[roll0]

You don't recognize it.

Archwizard
2011-08-27, 12:30 AM
"I'll be the judge of that," Kelith growls as he pays for a fruit.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-27, 12:31 AM
"I'll be the judge of that," Kelith growls as he pays for a fruit.

"Thank you sir." He takes a silver, a high price for one fruit.

The fruit seems to be heavy.

Archwizard
2011-08-27, 12:33 AM
Standing at the cart, Kelith inspects the fruit. Assuming he sees nothing strange, he takes a bite.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-27, 12:35 AM
Standing at the cart, Kelith inspects the fruit. Assuming he sees nothing strange, he takes a bite.

The fruit tastes like honey, and spruce, and mead. This might be a cheap alternative to honeymead.

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-27, 03:31 AM
The note seems suspicious to Arim, so, as a precaution, he casts Detect Magic over the book before proceeding. He concentrates to maintain the spell for as long as it is necessary to find the greatest amount of information (3 rounds?).

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-27, 12:11 PM
The note seems suspicious to Arim, so, as a precaution, he casts Detect Magic over the book before proceeding. He concentrates to maintain the spell for as long as it is necessary to find the greatest amount of information (3 rounds?).

It detects as overwhelming necromancy.

GoblinArchmage
2011-08-31, 12:59 AM
It detects as overwhelming necromancy.

After a pause, Arim turns to the Dwarf and asks, "have you, by any chance looked through this book at all?"

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-31, 10:49 AM
After a pause, Arim turns to the Dwarf and asks, "have you, by any chance looked through this book at all?"

"Well, not really. The last guy who did mumbled something about 'rupturing non-euclidean geometry' and he didn't even understand elven."

GoblinArchmage
2011-09-02, 03:20 PM
"Well, seeing as it is your book, perhaps you would like the honor of turning the first page?"

Sir_Chivalry
2011-09-02, 09:55 PM
"Well, seeing as it is your book, perhaps you would like the honor of turning the first page?"

"I'm less then enamoured with that idea, but if it will get you reading . . ."

He gingerly turns the page, and nothing happens.

GoblinArchmage
2011-09-03, 12:45 AM
After seeing this, and deciding that the book is probably not trapped despite what the message seemed to suggest, Arim begins to read the tome.

Archwizard
2011-09-03, 01:16 AM
Kelith finishes his fruit and buys another one to take with him. He then heads further down market street to see if anything else interesting is going on.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-09-08, 09:49 AM
Kelith finishes his fruit and buys another one to take with him. He then heads further down market street to see if anything else interesting is going on.

Two men appear to have entered a scuffle over the placement of one of the men's applecart.