PDA

View Full Version : Twilight 2000- Seeking a Clue

pife
2011-08-02, 10:45 AM
I'm going to be starting a Twilight:2000 game, and I'm looking for resources.

First question is, how many have played it, and are there any particular do's/don'ts/things to keep in mind?

More importantly, I'm also looking for map resources. Specifically, I'm wanting to be able to develop encounters where I can hand a tactical map to the players and enable them to plan their attack/defense, etc. Is there a site where some of the legwork has already been done, or some resource that I could use to develop/print hardcopy maps? In a perfect world, I would also be able to locate a library of great pictures of destroyed/damaged/ravaged buildings/landscapes

I'm still cogitating on the exact scenario. My mind is running all over the place.. For example..

1. R.A.W.- Just the basic campaign concept from the boxed set- Escape from Kalisz, followed by survival in Central Europe

2. Road Warrior meets T2K- Several years after the major fighting has ceased, resources are critically rare, the population is a fraction of it's former size (about 10-15% of current pop's, so approximately 1 billion worldwide). Party either HAS a resource that they are desperately try to hold, or they are nomadic and either trying to find a resource to take and hold or to absorb and move on

3. I Am Legend meets T2K- The miraculous HIV vaccine released before major hostilities has unexpected side-effects (read; they cause the people vaccinated to turn into some form of zombie/altered mindset monstrosity). So not only are there the common "enemies", there are also marauding "Brains"iacs to watch out for.

4. Retrofit to WW2- This can either be a Dirty Dozen style, Commando style, or even Kelley's Heroes style. (kinda fond of the Kelley's Heroes idea)(By the way, are there any resources for T2K rules set in WW2)?

5. Any of the above with a leavening of grand strategy.. This one would involve the player characters slowly building up a force (nation/unit/kingdom) with a bit of nationbuilding added to the game. Intrigue, betrayal, larger scale combat

I'd love to hear which of these ideas pique your interest (and why), and I'm open to any suggestions to help make this game exciting and dynamic.

Your thoughts?

caden_varn
2011-08-05, 06:16 AM
I ran Twilight 2000 around 20 years ago, so my memory is somewhat rusty to say the least. Also I played the original edition (which was percentile based IIRC) - the newer edition had a different core mechanic. As we got to Escape from Krakow rather than Kalisz, I am guessing you have a newer version.

I thought it was quite a fun game, and enjoyed the base setting. What I can remember from it:

It is fairly deadly - try not to get shot with a big gun
You need a good range of skills in the group. Especially a medic and mechanic...
Encourage your players to think about taking some extra languages if they want to be able to interact with anyone

And that's all I can really remember at this point.

I guess you can do anything that uses modern(ish) military types with the game. For WW2 you probably need an alternate shopping list, although the version I have has a good selection of older guns at least.