PDA

View Full Version : Orb Spells

NeoSeraphi
2011-08-02, 12:41 PM
So, I was reading through spell resistance in the SRD and I found something a little unsettling.

Conjuration

These spells are usually not subject to spell resistance unless the spell conjures some form of energy. Spells that summon creatures or produce effects that function like creatures are not subject to spell resistance.

Emphasis mine. So, I think everyone can agree that orb of force and its fellow well-loved comrades from the Spell Compendium and Complete Arcane conjure some form of energy. Why do they ignore spell resistance?

Ernir
2011-08-02, 12:46 PM
Because it says so in the spell description.

D&D is weird, does not make sense, and is not internally consistent. Accepting this has helped make me a less bitter person.

NeoSeraphi
2011-08-02, 12:47 PM
Hm, now that I think about it, even acid arrow from the PHB, the original spell lists, is a conjuration spell that creates an arrow of acid (even described in the spell as a "magic" arrow of acid) and it doesn't allow spell resistance either...

Boci
2011-08-02, 02:32 PM
From a RAW standpoint I'm pretty sure specific trumps general. From a what went wrong standpoint, WotC obviously forgot about that line. Maybe different writers, maybe an oversight.

Xtomjames
2011-08-02, 02:41 PM
I don't think it's an oversight. Let's consider a normal spell, the spell magic is usually discharged at the moment of casting on the targeted creature. .Where as say a fireball, which ignores SR, forms a ball of fire first and then shoots it. The orb spells work in the same sense. That is, they form an orb of energy that becomes that energy type and is no longer magical before it's deployed.

The SR works against the magical effects that create an affect on a creature. So the Orb spells essentially function more closely to a "creation" spell creating a natural effect rather than magical effect.

If we look at True Creation as a spell, you could cast it to create magma while standing above a creature with SR. Since the magma is real and not a magical effect the SR no longer works.

IthroZada
2011-08-02, 02:44 PM
Where as say a fireball, which ignores SR, forms a ball of fire first and then shoots it.

Fireball is SR: Yes.

aquaticrna
2011-08-02, 02:46 PM
fireball doesn't ignore SR

NeoSeraphi
2011-08-02, 02:47 PM
The line I quoted in the OP only applies to spells from the Conjuration school. The SRD explains in detail which spells from each school should have SR applied, but so far I can't find any examples of WotC actually following through with that line.

DeAnno
2011-08-02, 03:28 PM
That is an interesting line, because in my experience with 3.5 every single Conjuration Energy spell ignores SR. Maybe it's a leftover from a design direction they steered away from?

dextercorvia
2011-08-02, 03:35 PM
Acid Breath in the SpC. Instantaneous Conjuration(creation) spell. SR: Yes.

Also: Corrosive Grasp, Fire Spiders, Freeze, Ice Knife, Stonehold, Storm of Elemental Fury, and Stun Ray.

NeoSeraphi
2011-08-02, 03:55 PM
Acid Breath in the SpC. Instantaneous Conjuration(creation) spell. SR: Yes.

Also: Corrosive Grasp, Fire Spiders, Freeze, Ice Knife, Stonehold, Storm of Elemental Fury, and Stun Ray.

Alright, well, it's good to know that they didn't just print something and do the exact opposite.

DeAnno
2011-08-02, 04:09 PM
1) Oh wow, Stun Ray is a Conjuration? Weird. (seriously the designers of 3.5 might as well have just merged Evocation into Conjuration)

2) I wasn't intimately familiar with using any of those spells, but looking them over its interesting how arbitrary the decision to invoke SR seems to be. Storm of Elemental Fury seems especially like it should be SR: No comparing to some other spells.