PDA

View Full Version : Druid Animal Companions HP rolls

NOhara24
2011-08-02, 05:48 PM
Sorry to post another thread in rapid succession, but I couldn't find the answer in my research. In the PHB I was reading about the Druid's Animal Companion. It says that it gains bonus HD as it levels up through the set level ranges, which is fine.

Here's where I'm thinking that I should call shenanigans. We're a level 5 & 6 party. I'm playing a paladin and when I level up, It's a d10+4. I've rolled well, and I've got 69 HP. The druid wolf, on the other hand, has 73. Ridiculous. The druid has told me how he's rolling the wolf's HP when he levels up, and he's doing it as follows. It's not exactly clear how the book states it, so I came here.

Everytime he levels up, he rolls a d8, and every time the wolf gains bonus HD, he rolls that too.

So: Level -2 = d8
level 3 = 3d8 (because +2 bonus HD)
level 4 = d8
level 5 = d8
level 6 = 3d8 (because +4 bonus HD, but subtract the two bonus HD)

That's what he's relayed to me. Is this correct?! I just find it odd that it's the wolf of the party has the most HP out of a fighter, paladin, monk AND a cleric. Please clarify.

CodeRed
2011-08-02, 05:58 PM
The wolf does not gain an hp die roll every time the druid levels. He only gains those when he would gain bonus HD according to the chart under the druid class section of the PHB.

Thefurmonger
2011-08-02, 06:00 PM
Your player is flat out cheating.

Amnestic
2011-08-02, 06:03 PM
Your player is flat out cheating.

He may not be doing it deliberately though. It wouldn't be the first time a player sincerely didn't understand/misread/whatever the rules in his favour.

NOhara24
2011-08-02, 06:08 PM
Yes I very much doubt he was doing it deliberately. The book wasn't entirely clear to me either.