PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Legacy Champion!

Akal Saris
2011-08-02, 09:42 PM
Hey all!

I'm a big fan of the Legacy Champion prestige class from Weapons of Legacy - '+X of Previous Class' prestige classes, rare as they are, have a lot of potential in them. I'd like to explore it a little, and I figured this might be a fun optimization exercise for people. If there's interest I might expand this to a full on guide to the prestige class and Weapon of Legacy mechanics.

How to optimize legacy champion:

1. The '+X of Previous Class' part. 8/10 of the class allows you to expand a previous class's advancement, while replacing its chassis with legacy champion's d8 HD, 3/4 BAB, +0/+0/+2 Will saves, 4 skills/level with all previous skills plus concentration, decipher script, know (history), UMD, and gather info.

A. Use it to optimize short prestige classes with level-based mechanics, and advance those mechanics beyond their normal 3 or 5 levels. This is the common use I see referenced for legacy champion.
Examples:
-Hellfire Warlock (3d6/level Blast)
-War Weaver (+1 level of spell into weave/level)
-Fiend of Corruption (+1 bonus of item possessed/level)
-Zhentarim Skymage (+1 HD of special mount/level)
-What other excellent candidates can one think of?

B. Use it to optimize or augment classes with a similar or worse base chasis who don't especially mind 8/10 advancement of class features.
Examples:
-Truenamer (Sadly, this is one of the only PrCs to advance true-naming)
-War Hulk PrC (replaces +0 BAB with 3/4 BAB)
-Factotum
-Artificer
-Psychic Warrior

2. Optimize the Legacy Weapon aspect of the class

A. Create-your-own weapon. This has its own mini-guide over at BG: Building a Weapon of Legacy, for dummies (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5907.0). Basically there are some very cool things you can do if you have free rein over your "weapon." Legacy Champion also lets you gain these abilities without the gold cost of the rituals, and you gain more uses/day for some abilities.
Examples:
-Free metamagic rod effects for a caster
-Never be surprised
-Time Stop 1/day

B. Use the weapons already created. I'm betting many DMs would be open to bringing a legacy weapon into the game if the PC talks to them about it, and a pre-made weapon with a developed background is an easier "sell" than a PC-created one, especially since its likely to be a lot less broken. With that in mind, most legacy weapons make your PC worse, not better, due to the penalties you take from them for minimal benefits. There are definitely some keepers though.

Here's a write-up I did on them earlier:
Weapons of Legacy
Celdoriath's Clarion (Trumpet)
-Lets you summon monsters a few times/day and do a few tricks like bless and knock at will , the main penalty is to skill checks
-Can use telehax's dirty little trick pretty effectively with this

Crimson Ruination (+4 frost keen dragon bane greatsword)
-Good greatsword for a dragon hunter, lose -3 to skill checks and 20HP. The drawbacks are easily overcome or ignored by a barbarian-type

Devious and Vicious (+1 Keen Kukri x2)
-Alright for a skills-focused character, or an intimidation fighter. Vicious is the better of the two kukris - it can auto-Cause fear, take 10 on intimidate

Divine Spark (Silver holy symbol of resistance +5)
-Good for a cleric who actually turns undead, all solid abilities and the penalties are negligible.

Flay (+1 animal bane whip)
-Good low-level weapon for somebody with whip proficiency (bard), particularly good for trippers and grapplers because it can grapple on its own at your bonus +4 after you trip something.

Frostburn (Masterwork/+1 frost quarterstaff)
-Decent with Ice Storm, etc. spells
-Wiz/sorc staff - lots of evoker style spells. Not all that terrific, but nice flavor.

Hammer of Witches (+4 warhammer, wizard bane)
-Good against arcane casters, basically divine caster only. Best for cleric or favored soul

Mau-Jehe (+3 ghost touch keen short sword)
-soulknife weapon mostly. Has the cunning ability, as well as stable focus, which are 2 of the best legacy powers around.

Quickspur's Ally (+5 bashing shield (+5 weapon))
-terrific for a mounted shield-bash user...if any exist! Well, good for a ubermount build at least. Gives a ton of spell-like defenses that affect both you and your mount.

Scarab of Arados (Scarab of resistance +5)
-A solid one for an arcane spellcaster - gives some temp. HP and extends spells, acts as cloak of resistance. easy penalties to avoid

Shishi-O (+5 thundering katana)
-17th level ability grants pounce! Otherwise meh - some random summoning and polymorph abilities are included.

The Simple Bow (+2 longbow of speed)
-Good for a Soulbow or maybe some psychic warrior builds!

Treebrother (Staff (50 charges of light))
-OK for a druid or ranger, not great though. Gives wild empathy with plants and a mini-HiPS around trees.

Other books and modules:
Wyrmbane Helm (Dragon magic)
-Decent for a duskblade or other gish

Spidersilk (Demonweb Pits) (+3 glamered "twilight" mithril chain shirt)
-good for a warmage/dread necromancer, alright for other spellcasters after 13th (when it effectively gains the twilight ability). Losses aren't bad, but benefits aren't that great either

Adaal (demonweb pits)
-Not very good

Crown Adamant (exped. to undermountain)
-Decent, but a bit hard to fulfill prereqs. best on a cleric?

Holy Symbol of Ravenloft (Exped. to Castle Ravenloft)
-So-so for a cleric, the attack penalty hurts but the rest is good.

Sunsword (Exped. to Castle Ravenloft)
-Great for any game with lots of undead, otherwise mediocre. Undeath's Bane is especially nice, as are the higher level abilities. Good on a full BAB class.

Blackrazor (White Plume Mountain)
-Notable as perhaps the most dangerous WoL imaginable for a non-undead PC. It's an epic-level life-draining undead monstrosity from an alien dimension, banished to our plane - what did you expect?

First off, it penalizes your Fort saves up to -4. If you fail your first ritual, you gain a negative level, possibly more depending on your check. For the second ritual, you need to take 2 negative levels and then can't magically remove them - you need to tough out the fort save for them. For the third ritual, you need to visit the plane of negative energy for 8 hours - a hellhole of negative levels if there ever was one.

Meanwhile, it grows in ego each level, until at 20th it has an ego score of 23 - enough to completely overpower a lot of melee characters. All Blackrazor wants is for you to wield it. Not so bad, right? Except that it's a vicious weapon, so every swing hurts you. And if you use its soul-draining power (basically a free Deathknell on creatures you bring to dying, after 17th it's automatic) to kill an undead, you gain a negative level.

In return, you get a +5 weapon that gives +5 to mind-affecting saves and haste up to 10 rounds/day. I think not.

Wave (White Plume Mountain)
-Meh, not really worth it unless you're always underwater or something.

Whelm (White Plume Mountain)
-Gets bonus points for referencing another Gygax module, Against the Giants. Anyhow, it's alright but a little under"whelm"ing, basically just a good choice if you're expecting to fight a lot of giants and goblinoids.

Book of Nine Swords
Desert Wind
-A solid weapon, though -2 to attacks hurts. But lots of desert wind maneuvers and dex boosts.

Faithful Avenger
-All in all, a great weapon for a tank. Best on a LG or NG crusader, but all-around solid. It gives bonuses to att/dmg against diametrically opposed alignments, as well as some restoration powers, con bonuses, and holy or unholy.

Supernal Clarity
-Terrific weapon for a finesse fighter (it's a keen rapier). The capstone is Timestop 1/day at 20th, but the other powers are all solid and flavorful.

Kamate
-I totally dig the omen: whenever you draw it, you hear the faint sound of a hobgoblin chanting Kamate four times in a row, each time slightly louder. Kamate, Kamate, Kamate, KAMATE! Unfortunately, the powers are mediocre.

Eventide's Edge
-Pretty solid, it works as an alternative to a monk's belt when wielded, and goes up to a +4 defending short sword. Probably best for a caster, surprisingly- especially if you actually gain Baffling Defense instead of Comet Throw from the sword.

Umbral Awn
-Best for a rogue or swordsage, or anyone who can flank often (maybe a beast heart adept?). Grants some sneak attack (up to 3d6), as well as a weak HiPS ripoff (but at very low level!), and also invisibility at will and some minor flanking benefits. I'm a big fan of this one.

Unfettered
-Decent, but nothing special. Much like Stone Dragon in general...

Tiger Claw (+1 Keen Kukri)
-Awesome weapon for a crit-focused build , since its critical modifier eventually becomes x4, and it grants +4 to confirm criticals. Also nice benefits on Jump checks.

Blade of the Last Citadel
-Nifty powers for a tank/leader-type, including a 1/day hasted Heal on yourself at 20th.

3. Optimize the mechanics as a DM.
A. I use legacy weapon mechanics as a DM pretty frequently, since I like how they parallel the growth of the PCs. It lets me give the PCs a variety of loot without worrying about needing to give them a replacement weapon every few levels as well, and they also make interesting quest hooks/quest goals. So I'm interested in playgrounder input from other DMs that have used legacy weapons as loot or NPC tools.

Well, playgrounders? What say you?

prufock
2011-08-03, 09:54 AM
1. Isn't it 8/10 advancement? You lose the class abilities only at levels 1 and 7.

1A. This may start a huge debate, but this tactic is generally used to advance those short PrCs PAST their maximum level, which in my opinion doesn't work unless there is an epic progression for it. Gaining the class features and effective level of a Hellfire Warlock 4 doesn't net you anything, as there is no level 4 for Hellfire Warlock. I'm sure there are people who will disagree, and might bring up RAW vs RAI, but this is the way I see it. I would rule that Hellfire Warlock 4 is meaningless. I'm sure it's an argument that has gone on before.

I can't really offer too much help here though, I've never played a Legacy Champion or looked at it in depth.

ZeroGear
2011-08-03, 12:01 PM
Not a huge expert when it comes to optimizing things, but I think that the '+1 to previous class' part is kinda like the '+1 previous caster class' spell progression in that it can be applied to any class you had previously.
If there is no Hellfire Warlock 4, I think you can add an effective level of regular Warlock instead.
At least that is my theory, feel free to disagree.

Akal Saris
2011-08-03, 01:57 PM
Yes, 8/10 advancement..I got it right later in the thread, not sure why I messed it up the 1st time.

Well, I don't want to start a huge debate on whether the PrC can advance a class past its normal levels. I wouldn't allow it as a DM if it would break the game, but that's simply me being a sane DM rather than a RAW vs. RAI argument.

It's definitely something that a number of players believe, however, since I've seen it referenced numerous times on various CO boards - largely on the strength of "it doesn't say I can't" style of logic. For the sake of this thread, let's assume it works.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-03, 02:30 PM
A master of nine benifits greatly from Legacy Champion. What do you mean you get an extra manuver prepared every level? And you know all level 9 strikes! And the capstone is class level based? Insanity!

Kaje
2011-08-03, 03:18 PM
As awesome as it would be, you can't use LC to progress the War Hulk's strength bonus beyond the ten levels, because while they do in fact receive it at all ten levels, the text refers to the table itself instead of saying "at each level".

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-03, 03:22 PM
You can on the other hand get around the total lack of BaB for the class by takeing warhulk 2 / legacy champion 10. You get + to str as a class feature of war hulk, but the bab of legacy champion.

Kaje
2011-08-03, 03:28 PM
Ah, I see now. On the other hand, No Time to Think means you can't meet Legacy Champion's skill prereqs.

I'm curious, how could LC help factotums?

FMArthur
2011-08-03, 05:46 PM
You can on the other hand get around the total lack of BaB for the class by takeing warhulk 2 / legacy champion 10. You get + to str as a class feature of war hulk, but the bab of legacy champion.

The Skillful weapon enhancement in Complete Arcane can just give you medium BAB. No class level shuffling required.

Stix
2011-08-03, 05:57 PM
On the other hand, No Time to Think means you can't meet Legacy Champion's skill prereqs.

this may be cheesier than heck but could you...
take a level in war hulk lvl11 presumably
get level drained for 1 level so you no longer have warhulk's "no time to think" feature.
take a level in LC playing off your "previous level" of warhulk
possibly then get greater/restoration to get the lost level of warhulk back?

this was just a random thought but interesting. i'm sure there are rules problems with it but just thought i'd share.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-03, 06:37 PM
Ah, I see now. On the other hand, No Time to Think means you can't meet Legacy Champion's skill prereqs.

I'm curious, how could LC help factotums?

No, it doesn't stop you from taking those skills, it just prevents you from ever using them. But you can still get them for prereq's.

Like was pointed out, a Skillful weapon really nerfs the effectiveness of this trick, however if your total attack bonus is going to end up higher (like you started out with a full BAB class, and with a 3/4 BAB progression you end up with a total +16 at the end), it might be viable. Besides, the other huge draw of War Hulk was the d12 HD, which is not emulated by the Legacy Champion.

Kaje
2011-08-04, 11:39 AM
No Time to Think (Ex): A character with levels in the war hulk prestige class is considered to have 0 ranks in all Intelligence-, Wisdom-, and Charisma-based skills (whether or not he has bought ranks in them previously). The only exception is the Intimidate skill, which works normally.Pretty clear. You have 0 ranks.

prufock
2011-08-04, 02:04 PM
What about those fast-progression PrCs - Ur-Priest, Sublime Chord, Suel Arcanamach?

Morithias
2011-08-04, 02:09 PM
The Deathstalker from dragon 322 is a 5 level assassin style prestige class whose death attack is 10 + double class level + cha mod.

A deathstalker 5/Legeacy champion 10 would have a DC of 36 + cha mod, keep in mind that you can qualify for the class as early as level 2 (cleric 1, martial monk 1). And that a Pit fiend (CR 20) monster only has a for save of +19.

Pretty brutal all things considered.

Cog
2011-08-04, 02:20 PM
Pretty clear. You have 0 ranks.
You can, however, take your first level of Champion, then take a level of War Hulk, then go back to Champion.

Aaand this is where we have the argument about whether the clauses in CArc and CWar apply to all PrCs or not.

VarianArdell
2011-08-04, 03:03 PM
A master of nine benifits greatly from Legacy Champion. What do you mean you get an extra manuver prepared every level? And you know all level 9 strikes! And the capstone is class level based? Insanity!

what is this capstone of which you speak? I'm looking at both Mo9 and LC, and neither of them have a class level-based capstone...

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-04, 03:10 PM
Isn't there a be in two stances at once for a number of round = to Mon levels per day? I may be mistaken as I am away from my book right now.

VarianArdell
2011-08-04, 03:27 PM
Isn't there a be in two stances at once for a number of round = to Mon levels per day? I may be mistaken as I am away from my book right now.

well there is, but that comes at level 2. hardly a capstone...

Vulaas
2011-08-04, 04:25 PM
I like the idea of using it with the Spellwarp Sniper and becoming able to Spellwarp up to 9th level spells.

Zaq
2011-08-04, 09:02 PM
For the record, a Truenamer already has a good Will save, 3/4 BAB, and 4 + INT skills. All LC is doing for it is bumping up the HD from d6 to d8 and adding a couple class skills. While that's decent enough, if you're going to sacrifice a level or two of progression, we can do better.

Anyway, LC can also (arguably) be used to advance in Ardent Dilettante without meeting the more advanced prereqs.