PDA

View Full Version : Sauron Inspired Big-Baddy

TheRinni
2011-08-02, 09:47 PM
Okay, so, here's the situation:

I want to create a Sauron inspired Lich to be the main big boss of my upcoming campaign. I want the phylactery to be a Golden Ring. Yeah, it's a bit cheesy. But I know it'll make my players giggle, while cowering in fear of fighting the epitome of evil.

The only issue I'm having is how to replicate the "giant floating eyeball" effect. My idea is this: the character is so vain, and proud, that he refuses to let others see his ugly, shriveled body. Is there an existing spell I could use for this? Or should I just homebrew one?

Machinekng
2011-08-02, 09:52 PM
Okay, so, here's the situation:

I want to create a Sauron inspired Lich to be the main big boss of my upcoming campaign. I want the phylactery to be a Golden Ring. Yeah, it's a bit cheesy. But I know it'll make my players giggle, while cowering in fear of fighting the epitome of evil.

The only issue I'm having is how to replicate the "giant floating eyeball" effect. My idea is this: the character is so vain, and proud, that he refuses to let others see his ugly, shriveled body. Is there an existing spell I could use for this? Or should I just homebrew one?

Pretty much any higher level illusion spell can replicate this.

If you're trying to give him an angelic form, like Sauron had before the fall of Numenor, Disguise Self works.

TheRinni
2011-08-02, 10:48 PM
Pretty much any higher level illusion spell can replicate this.

If you're trying to give him an angelic form, like Sauron had before the fall of Numenor, Disguise Self works.

I realize that even a Major Image would create something along the lines you're suggesting, but I don't really want the illusion of the eye. Rather, I'd like something along the lines of a sending. Something he can see and speak through without actually having to be there.

Arcane Eye comes close. But the duration is only 1 min/level, and it's invisible.

Ravens_cry
2011-08-03, 12:35 AM
Spell Thematics and Extend?

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-03, 03:49 AM
Simulacrum+ Permanent Telepathic Bond + Polymorph Any Object?

Analytica
2011-08-03, 09:25 AM
Oooooh! This is the perfect opportunity for one of the most cheesy builds ever. The lich has polymorphed any object itself into an undead beholder (floating undead eyeball, add fire with a persistent fire shield spell), then taken levels in the Beholder Mage prestige class, which is ridiculously overpowered. :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2011-08-03, 09:28 AM
The Magical Events in DMG2 (3.5) include a giant flaming eye on the top of a very tall mountain.

The Eye is used as a combined telescope/flamethrower.

It's connected to a large diamond lens which hovers a few feet above said mountaintop (the giant eye hovers about 100 ft above that). Look through the lens at something within line of sight, and it's clearly visible, lit up, and if you look for more than a round, it starts taking major fire damage.

Telonius
2011-08-03, 09:47 AM
Suggestion: the Ring should also be an Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm). Definitely "Special Purpose" and able to cast Dominate Monster.

SowZ
2011-08-03, 11:11 AM
Sauron is an eyeball was an... interpretation of Sauron in the movies. He really wasn't a floating eye made of fire in LOTR. If you want him to be Sauron inspired, you can leave the eye out alltogether. Or, if you want to be a little original, have it be a 'Magic Mouth' with metamagic feats applied like crazy.

Crow
2011-08-03, 11:32 AM
Don't forget the Dream (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dream.htm) and Nightmare (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/nightmare.htm) spells.

Don't forget to scatter a few Crystal Hypnosis Balls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#crystalHypnosisBall)around, too.

TheRinni
2011-08-03, 02:20 PM
Sauron is an eyeball was an... interpretation of Sauron in the movies. He really wasn't a floating eye made of fire in LOTR. If you want him to be Sauron inspired, you can leave the eye out alltogether. Or, if you want to be a little original, have it be a 'Magic Mouth' with metamagic feats applied like crazy.I grew up on the LoTR books, and am well aware of what Sauron is. However, my players are only familiar with the movies. And, after all, this is really all for them. I'd like to have the fiery eye they're all familiar with, but thank you for the suggestion.

The Magical Events in DMG2 (3.5) include a giant flaming eye on the top of a very tall mountain.

The Eye is used as a combined telescope/flamethrower.

It's connected to a large diamond lens which hovers a few feet above said mountaintop (the giant eye hovers about 100 ft above that). Look through the lens at something within line of sight, and it's clearly visible, lit up, and if you look for more than a round, it starts taking major fire damage.

Suggestion: the Ring should also be an Item Familiar. Definitely "Special Purpose" and able to cast Dominate Monster.

I love these suggestions - they're absolutely perfect!