PDA

View Full Version : Incorporeal paladin/holy warrior

shimmercat
2011-08-03, 12:19 AM
We are playing an undead game! :smallbiggrin: D&D 3.5, I'd prefer to avoid Tome of Battle and Tome of Magic.

I decided on a character concept that is a Ghostwalk-style ghost (yes I know that GW is 3.0, the DM recommended this book). This character is a holy warrior of some sort, probably Fighter 8/Pious Templar 4/Eidelon 2. Melee fighter/tank. I've got some fun RP reasons for these decisions but the important facts are:

Ghostwalk-style ghost (+1 LA)
Base race is flexible, I'll probably go human unless there is a good reason for a different race
Melee fighter
Extremely religious
Level 15
LG/LN
Currently thinking Fighter 8/Pious Templar 4/Eidelon 2 (not necessarily in that order)

The problem that I'm running into is that incorporeals have no Str score! I can manifest, but then I lose a lot of the fun incorporeal abilities. How can I play an incorporeal Str fighter? I could just make it a Dex fighter, although that's not the flavor I'm going for. There may not BE a way to solve this problem, but hey, might as well ask.

Anyone got any fun/creative ideas for this sort of character?

Quick summary of GW-style ghost:

Speed: When incorporeal, a ghost can fly at a speed of 30 ft. (good).

AC: When incorporeal, a ghost gains a deflection bonus to AC equal to its Charisma modifier (always at least +1, even if the creature’s Charisma score does not normally provide a bonus).

Attacks: An incorporeal ghost has no natural ability to affect material creatures. Certain feats can allow a ghost to manifest fully (and therefore use material weapons at the attack bonus it had as a character) or harm a material creature in various ways.

Low-Light Vision (Ex)

Disembodied Soul (Ex): This effects how the ghost is "raised" from the "dead," I'm not concerned with this.

No Discernible Anatomy (Ex)

Ectoplasmic Body (Ex): Ghosts cannot become fatigued or exhausted. When killed, a ghost’s body reverts to raw ectoplasm, decaying into nothingness after 10 minutes. A gentle repose spell preserves a ghost’s body as if it were a normal corpse. (and some fluff)

Incorporeal: (this is copy/pasted from the SRD) An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source (except for positive energy, negative energy, force effects such as magic missile, or attacks made with ghost touch weapons). Although it is not a magical attack, holy water can affect incorporeal undead, but a hit with holy water has a 50% chance of not affecting an incorporeal creature.

An incorporeal creature has no natural armor bonus but has a deflection bonus equal to its Charisma bonus (always at least +1, even if the creature’s Charisma score does not normally provide a bonus).
An incorporeal creature can enter or pass through solid objects, but must remain adjacent to the object’s exterior, and so cannot pass entirely through an object whose space is larger than its own. It can sense the presence of creatures or objects within a square adjacent to its current location, but enemies have total concealment (50% miss chance) from an incorporeal creature that is inside an object. In order to see farther from the object it is in and attack normally, the incorporeal creature must emerge. An incorporeal creature inside an object has total cover, but when it attacks a creature outside the object it only has cover, so a creature outside with a readied action could strike at it as it attacks. An incorporeal creature cannot pass through a force effect.

An incorporeal creature’s attacks pass through (ignore) natural armor, armor, and shields, although deflection bonuses and force effects (such as mage armor) work normally against it. Incorporeal creatures pass through and operate in water as easily as they do in air. Incorporeal creatures cannot fall or take falling damage. Incorporeal creatures cannot make trip or grapple attacks, nor can they be tripped or grappled. In fact, they cannot take any physical action that would move or manipulate an opponent or its equipment, nor are they subject to such actions. Incorporeal creatures have no weight and do not set off traps that are triggered by weight.

An incorporeal creature moves silently and cannot be heard with Listen checks if it doesn’t wish to be. It has no Strength score, so its Dexterity modifier applies to both its melee attacks and its ranged attacks. Nonvisual senses, such as scent and blindsight, are either ineffective or only partly effective with regard to incorporeal creatures. Incorporeal creatures have an innate sense of direction and can move at full speed even when they cannot see.

Some ghosts learn feats that allow them to manifest fully and interact with the material world in a normal manner.

Sense Physical Body (Su): A ghost can attempt an Wisdom check (DC 15) once per round to determine the general direction of its physical body.

Ghost Weakness (Ex): If a ghost is hit by a sneak attack or a critical hit from a silver weapon, it must make a Fortitude save (DC 15) or be stunned for 1 round. Other than this possible stunning effect, a critical hit or sneak attack does not deal any more damage than a normal hit from that weapon.

Abilities: A ghost retains all of its original ability scores. When the ghost is incorporeal, it has no Strength score.

Skills: A ghost receives a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks. Otherwise same as the character.

Challenge Rating: Same as the character +1.

The rest of the original post:

That alignment should be fuuuuuuun: the rest of the party consists of a LE Necropolitan spellthief lawyer, a LE ghoul flesh-gourmand cleric, and one other (the player is still undecided). DM thought it would be the most fun for me to go for LG, though!

I'm skimming GW for ideas, and then probably Libris Mortis. The obvious things I see right now is that I'm going to have to deal with the incorporeal issue (so that I can actually do damage), and that ghosts get a plus to their AC based on CHA. CHA would also be nice with my RP concept, so classes that use CHA are a plus.

Also, any suggestions about cool things to do with an incorporeal PC are appreciated. :smallsmile:

I tend to prefer simple builds, using basic books and not a whole lot of dips into various classes/prestige classes. I'm not much of a min-maxer, and I tend to have more fun if the character isn't super powerful. I'm just not even sure where to start here (and I thought that this forum may have some fun with this particular challenge.) :smallwink:

Ravens_cry
2011-08-03, 12:29 AM
"Fun".
Yeah . . .
That's one way to put it.
Are your fellow players OK with extreme intra-party conflict?
Because sister, thou shalt have it, and reap a hundredfold.

shimmercat
2011-08-03, 12:36 AM
Conflicting alignments don't always have to equal extreme conflict. I feel like if I play up the Law aspect I can make it work. We play with flexible alignments and I've played with all but one of these people before; the spellthief is my husband.

Although that IS an advantage to going with a class that isn't paladin -- I can nudge the alignment down to LN. The DM specifically asked me not to play a paladin of tyranny (I wasn't excited about that option anyway).

Edit: The setting makes a good case for undead working together in order to survive, even if they have strong convictions otherwise.

Ravens_cry
2011-08-03, 12:47 AM
The trouble is, by a rigid interpretation of the Paladins oath, you can Fall for simply travelling with these people unless there is a greater threat and even then you must atone now and then.
Maybe play a cleric of a Lawful Good god with the War domain, like Tyr (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tyr)? In his case, you get a longsword proficiency if you take the war domain ,a suitably knightly weapon, and you can slip to lawful neutral while still being faithful to your god.

Vemynal
2011-08-03, 03:52 AM
look up gray guard

also crusader

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-03, 04:45 AM
+1 to Crusader.

faceroll
2011-08-03, 04:50 AM
You could get a real D&D ghost for +3 LA. Here's how.

Be a warforged. Take the Incarnate Construct template from Savage Species. This makes you a humanoid and gives you -2LA. Add ghost. This brings you up to +3 LA, which you can eventually buy off.

shimmercat
2011-08-03, 10:48 AM
Not worried about alignment conflict. We don't play with strict paladin rules. I'm also not interested in changing from the GW-style ghost template, as this template has RP meaning in the world in which we are playing.

Ok, Crusader. I figure you are talking about the Tome of Battle Crusader base class? Tome of Battle got a "maybe" from the DM and I don't currently have access to this book so I would have to acquire it. I know it's a pretty hotly contested book, but I'll look into this.

Gray Guard is a PrC from Complete Scoundrel, yes? Another book I would have to acquire... What makes these good choices?

Person_Man
2011-08-03, 11:25 AM
Do Ghostwalk ghosts have the paralyzing touch ability? If so, you should take the Contagious Paralysis feat from Libris Mortis. Anyone who touches someone that you paralyze must Save or be paralyzed as well. Combine with a Bull Rush combo (Knockback, Shock Trooper, etc), and you get a potent paralyzing bowling ball effect. And/or you can just pick up your enemy and use them as an improvised weapon against their friends, assuming you're strong enough and your to-hit is high enough to deal with the -8ish penalty (-4 for lack of proficiency, and probably -4ish for improperly sized weapon, though obviously that depends).

Ravens_cry
2011-08-03, 11:28 AM
Grey Guard lets you play a Paladin who is less . . .strict about their code.
This (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070320)should give you an idea if you want to play it or not.

shimmercat
2011-08-03, 11:51 AM
Do Ghostwalk ghosts have the paralyzing touch ability? If so, you should take the Contagious Paralysis feat from Libris Mortis. Anyone who touches someone that you paralyze must Save or be paralyzed as well. Combine with a Bull Rush combo (Knockback, Shock Trooper, etc), and you get a potent paralyzing bowling ball effect. And/or you can just pick up your enemy and use them as an improvised weapon against their friends, assuming you're strong enough and your to-hit is high enough to deal with the -8ish penalty (-4 for lack of proficiency, and probably -4ish for improperly sized weapon, though obviously that depends).

This is really cool, but the Ghostwalk ghosts don't have the paralyzing touch ability. :( Which is too bad, because I would love to use enemies as improvised weapons. We will have a ghoul in the party, so maybe I can steal one of his paralyzed targets, just once!

There are some interesting feats in GW for acquiring various types of offensive touches, but paralyzation isn't one of them. Ability damage may be fun, though.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-03, 03:30 PM
Crusader can consistantly heal undead without messing around with negative energy, and your allies all conflict with your alignment, allowing you to mess with inefective strikes provideing unlimited healing. this is guda level cheeze though.

shimmercat
2011-08-03, 11:19 PM
Crusader can consistantly heal undead without messing around with negative energy, and your allies all conflict with your alignment, allowing you to mess with inefective strikes provideing unlimited healing. this is guda level cheeze though.
Oooh, I could see how that could come in handy. I'm not a big fan of cheese, though. If I'm not the primary healer (paladins make good secondary healers, though), then I'm not sure I want to bother even thinking about healing. I typically play good-aligned clerics, so it may be a nice change of pace!

I'm definitely intrigued by Grey Guard, though. I'm going to look into that some more.

MeeposFire
2011-08-03, 11:25 PM

careful some, but not all, of those maneuvers require you to attack somebody that is an actual threat and allies would not count.

Binder is a neat class to do. A spirit binding spirits sounds neat plus you can make that class do nearly anything (such as summoning your own spirits).

Greenish
2011-08-03, 11:31 PM
Oooh, I could see how that could come in handy. I'm not a big fan of cheese, though. If I'm not the primary healer (paladins make good secondary healers, though), then I'm not sure I want to bother even thinking about healing. I typically play good-aligned clerics, so it may be a nice change of pace!Crusaders heal by attacking. It's only cheese if you're using ineffective attacks against allies to heal out of combat, and in combat crusader plays like a primary melee/tank, not like a healer.

MeeposFire
2011-08-03, 11:37 PM
Also since you were thinking paladin binders can also mimic many paladin abilities while allowing you to play how you want without worrying about alignment. Heck say you are using the spirits of paladins to bring about your powers.

Smite evil-vestige for that and you can use it 1/5 rounds

Lay on hands-buer gives you at will healing

heavy armor-you can get heavy armor to summon to you at any time

immunity to fear-class ability

Good saves-bind augmentations can help.

Mounted combat- got it and if you also bind the summoning vestige you can summon your own mount to ride.

It is also a cha primary class so that fits too.

shimmercat
2011-08-03, 11:45 PM
I was looking up Binders and they are apparently a caster first, everything else second. I'd really prefer to run a more typical melee character, even if that's not as powerful. :smallsmile:

While I was considering Tome of Battle at the outset, I think I'd prefer to not use Tome of Battle or Tome of Magic unless I can't come up with anything else I like. I've never dealt with them before and my typical DM doesn't allow them (even though the DM for this game said he'd consider them). They seem fairly different from the other books and I'd prefer not to have to learn a new subsystem just for this one short campaign, when I'm already having to deal with undead/incorporeal traits that I'm not used to. I'll edit this decision into my first post!

I'm still toying with the idea of Crusader, I'd just prefer to see what I can do with the non-Tome books first.

MeeposFire
2011-08-04, 01:01 AM
I was looking up Binders and they are apparently a caster first, everything else second. I'd really prefer to run a more typical melee character, even if that's not as powerful. :smallsmile:

While I was considering Tome of Battle at the outset, I think I'd prefer to not use Tome of Battle or Tome of Magic unless I can't come up with anything else I like. I've never dealt with them before and my typical DM doesn't allow them (even though the DM for this game said he'd consider them). They seem fairly different from the other books and I'd prefer not to have to learn a new subsystem just for this one short campaign, when I'm already having to deal with undead/incorporeal traits that I'm not used to. I'll edit this decision into my first post!

I'm still toying with the idea of Crusader, I'd just prefer to see what I can do with the non-Tome books first.

That is fine though I would say they are not casters at all unless you make them that way. Most of my binders are melee based.

For instance if you were to bind Andras, buer, and savnok you would get these abilities...

1) Ability to wear heavy armor including one you can summon to yourself with DR.

2) Ability to heal with a touch similar to lay on hands.

3) Summon your own mount

4) proficiency with many swords

5) Smite evil

You would certainly be like a melee guy especially if you were to take knight of the sacred seal.

However I understand not wanting to use it but I am a fan of the tome classes so I can't think of anything really sweet (well except a blackguard/shadowbane enforcer build that has no levels in a base class).

Vemynal
2011-08-04, 04:12 AM
I had this post explaining the mechanics of ToB in a simple and easy to understand way but the forums messed up and it didn't post =(

Long story short- my conclusion was that you should just be a paladin and have your dm hand wave the alignment restriction.

Paraphrasing my reasoning from before:
~The only reason for the alignment restriction was because the paladin was supposed to be stronger then the fighter, which its not.
~No point buying an entire book for a short campaign
~Gray guard offers you nothing as the "easy to atone" staple ability only applies to when you fall while doing a good deed. Traveling, associating and partying with evildoers is not "a good deed". Might as well just be a paladin and have your dm not make you fall. Tell him if he wants you to be lawful good, that's your request or you'll find something else to play.

Person_Man
2011-08-04, 12:14 PM
I was looking up Binders and they are apparently a caster first, everything else second.

That's what they appear to be on the surface. But most of the best Vestiges below ECL 10ish are all melee oriented. Assuming you take the Improved Binder feat to speed up your progression, a typical melee Binder gets:

Level: Vestige: Key abilities

1: Dahlver-Nar: Shield Self, which allows you make 50% of the damage you take be taken by another target (Will Save negates), with an unlimited duration. So start combat with this on your mount (basicaly giving you 50% more hit points), and then switch it over to the biggest/dumbest enemy on the first round of combat. Wade in and fight in melee, and your enemy will often kill himself. You also get 1/2 your Con bonus to AC, and a fairly potent Save or Daze area of effect attack. And you get bonus hit points as a class feature.

3: Paimon: Dance of Death (everyone you move past gets hit once, which opens a variety of combos), Whirlwind Attack (at levels 3-4, this is very useful), Uncanny Dodge, Dexterity bonus.

5: Kas (from Dragon Magazine 341): Every enemy you hit with a critical hit must Save or be permanently Blinded (Will negates), and you can crit undead. Since you can easily make 2-3 attack per turn, you pretty much Blind an enemy every turn, making many boss fights a joke. (If you fight more mooks, then just stick with Paimon).

8: Now you get 2 vestiges at the same time. Any combination of the above works well. Or you could mix in: Acererak: Paralyzing Touch (which allows you to pull off the Paralyzing Bowling Ball combo), immunity to Cold and Electricity, healed by Negative energy. Have an ally take the Lord of the Uttercold feat, and now he can dump 50% Cold/50% negative energy spells on top of you, healing you and harming enemies.

10: LOTS of great options here, with most of them being very caster-ish. You could continue on with various melee options if you wanted to though.

The only down side of the Binder is it's ridiculous complexity.

shimmercat
2011-08-14, 01:44 PM
Ended up dropping the paladin idea, just because of the complexity of the alignment issues. Still not interested in ToM/ToB classes. I'm running into the mechanical problems now, so I edited my first post. Wondering if anyone has any clever ideas for me! :D Feat trees, and the like.

I was hoping that I could play with the Ghost feats from GW, and somehow incorporate them into the fighting style, but I can't seem to come up with a way to do that effectively. I suck at making effective characters. :(

Flickerdart
2011-08-14, 01:58 PM
You can always go Cleric into Prestige Paladin. If not, there's Divine Crusader (9th level spells from one domain, a bunch of other bennies) and Soldier of Light (a bunch of Paladin stuff, DR and energy resistances).

Edit: Ghost feats? Ethereal Sidestep works well with Teflammar Shadowlord. Enervating Touch is awesome for obvious reasons.

Mikka
2011-08-14, 02:18 PM
Sword Wraaith!