PDA

View Full Version : How do I pronounce this

larnman2
2011-08-03, 01:34 AM
I have an interview tomorrow at a game company, and my interviewers last name is "Attuquayefio." How do I pronounce that?

Moonshadow
2011-08-03, 01:38 AM
Well... I'd try phonetically, so something like Attu-key-efio. If nothing else, they'll tell you how to pronounce it after you butcher it the first time.

rakkoon
2011-08-03, 01:40 AM
Can you use Sir when you meet him?

Serpentine
2011-08-03, 01:40 AM
"Hello, Mr... I'm sorry, how do you pronounce your name?"
Or if you're lucky, someone else will say it first.

Eurus
2011-08-03, 01:50 AM
Yeah, your best bet is probably to just ask. It's not perfect, but it's usually better than mangling it. And I'm sure they're used to it anyway.

Icewalker
2011-08-03, 02:07 AM
Added bonus: even if someone else says it first, you probably won't be able to pronounce a name like that after hearing it once.

Plus, given the looks of it, I wouldn't be surprised if legitimately proper pronunciation of it involves some non-English standard phonemes?

LaZodiac
2011-08-03, 02:49 AM
Seriously, just use whatever equivilent of sir/madam you've got. There never really is a reason to call him by his name, not yet anyway. When he says "Please, call me Mr Attuquayefio" is when you can call him Attuquayefio.

Tirian
2011-08-03, 06:35 AM
Seriously, just use whatever equivilent of sir/madam you've got. There never really is a reason to call him by his name, not yet anyway. When he says "Please, call me Mr Attuquayefio" is when you can call him Attuquayefio.

And when that moment comes, it's just as likely that you'll be offered a first name or a gamer handle, because he or she has had at least half a lifetime of people mangling his or her last name and the novelty is gone. But feel free to ask the receptionist when you come in for the interview, because showing an interest in researching is a good sign.

DraPrime
2011-08-03, 07:01 AM
I myself have an absurd last name (Biedrzycki) that no one can pronounce, and I prefer if people just ask. This Attawhatever guy will probably have had a lifetime of the same experiences as me, and will have gotten used to people asking about his name a long time ago. Just ask him how it's pronounced.

Xuc Xac
2011-08-03, 07:29 AM
I don't know how to pronounce it, but I think it's Ghanaian. I'd guess that it's something like At-too-quay (rhymes with guy)-eff-ee-o.

Melayl
2011-08-03, 08:22 AM
"Hello, Mr... I'm sorry, how do you pronounce your name?"
Or if you're lucky, someone else will say it first.

Yeah, your best bet is probably to just ask. It's not perfect, but it's usually better than mangling it. And I'm sure they're used to it anyway.

These. Asking, and admitting that you don't know how to pronounce it and don't want to mangle it, will likely gain you a little respect from the interviewer. It will also show respect for them. Both are a plus when looking for a job.

Good luck with the interview!

Keld Denar
2011-08-03, 08:31 AM
And when that moment comes, it's just as likely that you'll be offered a first name or a gamer handle, because he or she has had at least half a lifetime of people mangling his or her last name and the novelty is gone. But feel free to ask the receptionist when you come in for the interview, because showing an interest in researching is a good sign.

Yea. Doubtful you are gonna be the first guy to butcher his last name, if you even make an attempt. He's probably heard every combination of sylables possible from that name, and then some not possible as well. Even more if he went to grade school in America (kids are frakin MEAN!).

If he gets uptight about you mispronouncing his name the first time you meet him, well...he'd probably be a terrible boss to work for anyway!

Dallas-Dakota
2011-08-03, 09:30 AM
Call him ''Mr. Bossman.''

Capt Spanner
2011-08-03, 09:34 AM
If he introduces himself by name (he may use his first name), use that one (obviously). If you're self conscious about it, feel free to ask whether you're pronouncing it correctly.

He's probably used to the question, and probably prefers people ask and make the effort than just mangle it all the time.

LaZodiac
2011-08-03, 10:00 AM
I myself have an absurd last name (Biedrzycki) that no one can pronounce, and I prefer if people just ask. This Attawhatever guy will probably have had a lifetime of the same experiences as me, and will have gotten used to people asking about his name a long time ago. Just ask him how it's pronounced.

Bee-dare-ski

Am I right? Sorry to be a bug, I'm just curious if I got it right.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-08-03, 10:59 AM
Bee-dare-ski

Am I right? Sorry to be a bug, I'm just curious if I got it right.

Not only is Polish impossible to spell, it's impossible to pronounce. I doubt it's pronounced suchly.

AsteriskAmp
2011-08-03, 01:08 PM
I'm willing to risk guessing it's something akin to Be-ed-dritch-key (Only said as one word instead of four words)

ForzaFiori
2011-08-03, 08:55 PM

Would you like to buy a vowel? :smalltongue:

Someday I plan to (at least briefly) study slavic, russian, and other eastern european type languages (which your last name appears to be from), if only to learn to pronounce names I come across like this. With Attuquayefio, at least I can hazard a guess, but with Biedrzycki, I can barely start. I just don't understand how "drz" can be a consonant cluster. At least, not without throwing some random vowel sounds between them.

Icewalker
2011-08-03, 09:08 PM
I just don't understand how "drz" can be a consonant cluster. At least, not without throwing some random vowel sounds between them.

That would be because there are no syllable onsets or codas that would allow for that combination of sounds in the English language! It's literally unpronounceable to an English speaker unless they go outside of the phonology or the syllable structure they're used to!

Assuming that that 'drz' is actually representative of the (IPA-letter) sounds d, ɹ, and z. Which it could well be nothing like. In fact I'd guess that it's nothing like those phonemes.

larnman2
2011-08-04, 12:21 AM
So it's Atta-Que-Veoh. And yep, it's totally from Ghana.

ForzaFiori
2011-08-04, 12:31 AM
So it's Atta-Que-Veoh. And yep, it's totally from Ghana.

I can see that, kinda. The "quaye" sounding like "que" was probably the most different. Wouldn't have been my first guess though.

larnman2
2011-08-04, 12:41 AM
Yeah, he used it as a conversation piece that went on for half an hour about his lineage, my lineage, and just conversation about gene theory(His parents look like they're from Africa, and he looks like he owned a plantation)

LaZodiac
2011-08-04, 12:46 AM
Yeah, he used it as a conversation piece that went on for half an hour about his lineage, my lineage, and just conversation about gene theory(His parents look like they're from Africa, and he looks like he owned a plantation)

I take it the interview went well, then?

Spiryt
2011-08-04, 04:13 AM
I'm willing to risk guessing it's something akin to Be-ed-dritch-key (Only said as one word instead of four words)

"dritch" doesn't cut it I'm afraid. :smallwink:

Close approximation would be d - and then consonant that sounds roughly like first one in "Je t'aime" for French that most people can recall.

Telonius
2011-08-04, 01:05 PM
"Bee druh zick ey" is my guess.

I grew up knowing people with names like Szewczykowski, Czytuck, Brzezicki, and Jobczynski. Gotta love the Great Lakes!

Esprit15
2011-08-04, 01:14 PM
I myself have an absurd last name (Biedrzycki) that no one can pronounce, and I prefer if people just ask.

I'm going to guess something like bee-jdruz-yik-ee, with the 'u' and 'y' sounds barely pronounced at all.

I don't have a crazy last name, but for some reason people tend to add an n to it for some reason even when it's pronounced and spelled for them. "It's ***-bradt, not ***-brant!"

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-08-04, 01:33 PM
My name sounds exactly like a common english word, only one letter is different: it has a 'y' instead of an 'i'. However, when I explain its "This word, but with a 'y' " they insist on sticking extra fancy letters on it to make it look fancier. No, it looks exactly like the word, only with a different vowel!

sandersjessica
2011-08-05, 12:54 AM
I think its At-tu-qua-ye-fio. You can just ask the receptionist about your interviewer’s name.
You: Hi, I have an interview with Mr. Attuquayefio.
Receptionist: You mean Mr. At-tu-qua-ye-fio. She will pronounce the name and you can go with that.

Xuc Xac
2011-08-05, 05:15 AM
Close approximation would be d - and then consonant that sounds roughly like first one in "Je t'aime" for French that most people can recall.

D and the consonant in "je" makes the English pronunciation of the letter "J". The best example of this is the word "judge": the "j" and the "dge" have the same sound.

Spiryt
2011-08-05, 06:11 AM
D and the consonant in "je" makes the English pronunciation of the letter "J". The best example of this is the word "judge": the "j" and the "dge" have the same sound.

Thinking about it, it's not bad way to approximate it, especially for a people as ignorant in languages theory as me. :smalltongue::smallwink:

B - ie* - J - y - c -ki

* as in "Carpe Diem"