PDA

View Full Version : Superheroines with male sidekicks

GenericGuy
2011-08-03, 01:38 AM
I can’t think of any in the DC or Marvel verse, so was wondering if this forum could help me out. I can think of a few reversed, Batman/Batgirl, Green Arrow/current speedy and Arrowete, Martian Manhunter/Miss Martian, Superman/Supergirl.

Tazar
2011-08-03, 01:41 AM
Buffy would qualify as one, I think; she's certainly a superheroine, although not a very traditional one, and maintains at least one male sidekick (Giles, Xander, Angel, Riley, Spike ) for the entirety of the series.

If you're looking for ones in comics, I've no idea; they do seem to be a rare breed.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-03, 01:43 AM
I think the new Last Airbender sequel would qualify. Korra's gotta have some male lackey. And she's practically a superheroine.

Kindablue
2011-08-03, 02:10 AM
There aren't any in super hero comic books, I believe, unless you count Uncle Marvel to Mary Marvel (he was really just a comic relief character) or widen the definition of "sidekick" quite a lot. If I had to guess a reason for this, it would be that sidekicks simply happened to go out of style right around the time that feminism (and the competent superheroine) was beginning to be accepted into mainstream society.

ETA: Uncle Marvel:
http://www.marvelfamily.com/images/whoswho/UncleMarvel/MF001.jpg

chiasaur11
2011-08-03, 03:57 AM
Stargirl and S.T.R.I.P.E.

Odd sidekick/non bit, with the sidekick being older and more mentorly, but if memory serves, it'd count.

Kindablue
2011-08-03, 04:09 AM

Odd sidekick/non bit, with the sidekick being older and more mentorly, but if memory serves, it'd count.

Yeah, that works.

TheEmerged
2011-08-03, 12:33 PM
During the Silver Age, you had Wonder Woman and her male sidekick Steve Trevor :smallcool:

comicshorse
2011-08-03, 12:37 PM
Oracle has Savant and Creote
Dove has Hawk (maybe more of a partnership)
Wonder Woman and Nemesis recently
When Scandal was running the Secret Six she had Catman, Deadshot, Bane and Ragdoll working for her (not really a superheroine though)

Giggling Ghast
2011-08-03, 12:48 PM
How about Ninja Girl and Bard Boy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0562.html)? :smalltongue:

archon_huskie
2011-08-03, 01:05 PM
I've always thought of Speedy II as more Green Arrow II's sidekick/partner, but I have not been following that series since the Wedding shenanagins.

erikun
2011-08-03, 03:42 PM

Yeah, that works.
I'm glad that I'm not the only person who remembers these two. I think I may still have their #0 issue.

Not much else is immediately coming to mind. I can think of a number of female superheroes (Spider-Girl, Storm, Catwoman) but they generally didn't have a guy tagging around after them.

Kindablue
2011-08-03, 08:31 PM
I'm glad that I'm not the only person who remembers these two. I think I may still have their #0 issue.

Uh, I may have thought STRIPE was just a robot until I looked it up. I mean, it is a robot, but I didn't know that someone piloted it.

During the Silver Age, you had Wonder Woman and her male sidekick Steve Trevor :smallcool:
Isn't that kinda like saying Lois Lane is Superman's sidekick?

Gaius Marius
2011-08-04, 04:01 PM
Lara Croft and her supporting cast?

Friv
2011-08-04, 05:13 PM
Isn't that kinda like saying Lois Lane is Superman's sidekick?

I think that Steve Trevor was an active spy agent, and thus got to do the sorts of things that sidekicks usually do.

The TV show Cyber Six had a female superheroine with a male sidekick, although the male sidekick was an intelligent cyborg cat, so I don't know if it counts.

I dunno, a lot of the cool superheroes were in teams, so there aren't really any sidekicks.

Viera Champion
2011-08-04, 05:17 PM
I think the new Last Airbender sequel would qualify. Korra's gotta have some male lackey. And she's practically a superheroine.

Th-there's a NEW Last Airbender?

chiasaur11
2011-08-04, 05:30 PM

The show, not the movie, yeah.

Legend of Korra.

Looks good. The world is advanced to roughly the 1920s techwise. JK Simmons is playing Aang's son.

Talya
2011-08-04, 05:32 PM

Not yet. 2012 sometime. I think it's set 70-some years beyond the last one.

Back on subject:

How about Max Guevera and Logan Cale?

Viera Champion
2011-08-04, 05:32 PM
The show, not the movie, yeah.

Legend of Korra.

Looks good. The world is advanced to roughly the 1920s techwise. JK Simmons is playing Aang's son.

I never saw the movie. I only care about the show. OHMIGOD IT SOUNDS SO COOOLLL. I read about it all on wikipedia.

thubby
2011-08-04, 05:33 PM

legend of korra, theres a thread around here somewhere.

@original topic:
im not surprised it doesnt happen often. how many women clad in skin-tight spandex would volunteer to be around a teenage boy? :smalltongue:

its something crossover comics tend to goof on, when the male heroe's sidekick keeps ogling wonder woman >,<

Bryn
2011-08-04, 06:16 PM
Final off-topic post:

theres a thread around here somewhere.
This is the thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204613), though we talk about the original series for a good proportion of this thread (up until the time of SDCC, at which point Korra everywhere! - you can read the information as we got it by following the thread, but a better summary can be found here (http://www.musogato.com/avatar/korra.php) (which also has a link to the whole Comic-Con panel) or on the Avatar Wiki)

To bring this tangentially back to this thread's topic, Korra's 'sidekicks' will be called Mako and Bolin and we don't know very much about them yet.

Fjolnir
2011-08-04, 06:41 PM
We know that one is a firebender and the other an earthbender and the three of them play a sport designed for one bender of each discipline (besides air), which pretty much makes having the avatar on your team a particularly busted advantage.

Talya
2011-08-04, 06:48 PM
Mako

That's a nice tribute.

Gamer Girl
2011-08-04, 08:17 PM
Jubilee and Wolverine?
Storm and Gambit?
Lillandra and Professor X?

Wasp with er Hank the wimp ex husband This might be the best example in comics!

Katana_Geldar
2011-08-04, 08:58 PM
Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable?

chiasaur11
2011-08-04, 09:27 PM
Lara Croft and her supporting cast?

More pulp than Super on the heroing type, I'd think.

Giggling Ghast
2011-08-04, 09:28 PM
Wasp with er Hank the wimp ex husband This might be the best example in comics!

They're both superheroes, not superhero and sidekick.

Runestar
2011-08-04, 09:35 PM
Kim Possible? I seem to recall at least a few shows (such as one tomb-raider ripoff starring tia carrere) where the make supporting character is usually some sort of tech support who supplies the heroine with real-time info. Dark Angel?

What about cardcaptor sakura? The male protagonist didn't really manage to seal any cards of his own and mostly helped Sakura with those.

Giggling Ghast
2011-08-04, 09:36 PM
Kim Possible?

There you go.

Dark Angel

Bit of a stretch, but sure.

Lord Seth
2011-08-04, 09:52 PM
Kim Possible?Does she really count as a superhero?

What about cardcaptor sakura? The male protagonist didn't really manage to seal any cards of his own and mostly helped Sakura with those.Maybe things changed later on, but Li was definitely not a sidekick to Sakura in the episodes I saw.

John Cribati
2011-08-04, 10:30 PM
Does she really count as a superhero?

In the way Batman is considered a superhero, sure. She just doesn't do the mask-and-cape thing.

thubby
2011-08-04, 10:41 PM
i think it's important to note that sidekick denotes them being a subordinate.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-04, 10:43 PM
In Super Munchkin, you could be a female player and get a male sidekick.

thegurullamen
2011-08-04, 10:46 PM

Considering her adventures (including fighting mutants, robots, travelling in space, giant mechs and time travel) and her rogues gallery (mad scientist x3 [two generalists, one biogen/mutations expert], one biologically enhanced aristocrat-monkey-kungfu expert, one Scottish lord/demoman, the bored billionaire father-son duo with a criminal code, an alien race and a whole host of minor semi-recurring villains with theme names [Motor Edd, Adrena Lynn, Frugal Lucre, Camille Leon, the Fashonistas, etc.] and, finally, the infamous foil, Sheego) she's about 95% superhero, yeah. She even picks up a supersuit halfway through the show.

archon_huskie
2011-08-05, 09:27 PM
Did we mention Buffy and Xander yet?

GenericGuy
2011-08-05, 10:00 PM
Did we mention Buffy and Xander yet?

They were mentioned, but I was looking for more traditional superheroines and sidekicks.

So far the closest the forum can find was Uncle Marvel/Mary Marvel and Star Girl/S.T.R.I.P.E.

Which is great for me because I finally have something original in my originally created Superhero verse.:smallbiggrin:

endoperez
2011-08-06, 12:43 PM
They were mentioned, but I was looking for more traditional superheroines and sidekicks.

So far the closest the forum can find was Uncle Marvel/Mary Marvel and Star Girl/S.T.R.I.P.E.

Which is great for me because I finally have something original in my originally created Superhero verse.:smallbiggrin:

Empowered/Thug Boy perhaps, from Empowered? Or Mr Miracle/Big Barda, although they might be a superhero couple instead. I browsed TvTropes, but there don't seem to be many examples, and it's hard to tell the relationships from that, especially since I don't read that many superhero comics any way.

There's probably more, like an off-mention in some alternate take on the superhero genre, or an Elseworld/What If title with reversed genders. That said, it does seem like you've stumbled on something that isn't very common in superhero comics. It's kind of surprising, since superheroines and sidekicks are both common.

Goldfly
2011-08-06, 02:00 PM
What about cardcaptor sakura? The male protagonist didn't really manage to seal any cards of his own and mostly helped Sakura with those.

In this case, you could also count Yuuno from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, who seems to fit.

chiasaur11
2011-08-06, 03:41 PM
Empowered/Thug Boy perhaps, from Empowered? Or Mr Miracle/Big Barda, although they might be a superhero couple instead. I browsed TvTropes, but there don't seem to be many examples, and it's hard to tell the relationships from that, especially since I don't read that many superhero comics any way.

Barda and Scott are in more of a Superman and Lois position. They both are very, very good at very different skillsets.

Barda's just happens to be exploding faces and throwing cars around. Also, she's fond of suburban homemaking.

Big Barda is pretty great.

archon_huskie
2011-08-06, 06:08 PM
Since they are married, they are partners.

Tiki Snakes
2011-08-06, 06:30 PM
Well, again a probably more 'equals' scenario than a proper sidekick thing, but I always got the feeling that there was a hint of this between Cloak and Dagger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloak_and_Dagger_%28comics%29).

chiasaur11
2011-08-06, 09:12 PM
Since they are married, they are partners.

Even if they weren't, Scott inspired Barda rather than the other way around. Traditionally, that sets up the sidekick divide more than anything else.

Runestar
2011-08-08, 09:00 AM

Maybe things changed later on, but Li was definitely not a sidekick to Sakura in the episodes I saw.

The anime really went out of its way to try and portray Lee as a cardcaptor as well and on equal footing as Sakura, but in the manga, he didn't manage to seal a single card. Most of the time, he was lending advice to Sakura on how to seal the cards.

Maybe he isn't the traditional sidekick in the sense that he does come from a way more prestigious family and all, but he does clearly lag behind her in terms of magical prowess. :smallsmile:

Eric Tolle
2011-08-08, 01:03 PM
Arguably Sailer Moon and Tuxedo Mask fall into the category of "Superheroine and Sidekick".

Traab
2011-08-08, 04:57 PM
Arguably Sailer Moon and Tuxedo Mask fall into the category of "Superheroine and Sidekick".

Nah it was more of a superheroine who sucks at fighting/guy who keeps saving her in different costumes. Its been a long time since I watched the show, but I seem to recall they usually didnt spend much time with each other, he basically was the deus ex machina that kept saving her ass every time she got in over her head. Then something would happen and he would "die" or whatever. Then next season he comes back as "the moonlight knight" or something and the cycle repeats itself.