PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Witch Guide?

Arbane
2011-08-03, 12:02 PM
has anyone written one yet? I searched but didn't see anything more complex than "take the best Save-or-Suck hexes".

Gnaeus
2011-08-03, 12:44 PM
Well, that IS kind of what they are really good at.

Alternately, they are T1 casters very similar to wizards. Most advice from a wizard guide will work just fine.

Arbane
2011-08-03, 12:54 PM
Their spell list is a lot less all-encompassing, though. I'm wondering which spells and feats (besides "Extra Hex") are good to take.

Gnaeus
2011-08-03, 01:26 PM
You want save or loses that AREN'T based on will. You want buffs. You want Debuffs that will reduce the target's saves (like enervation). You want crowd control (Summon monsters, fog cloud, black tentacles, etc.). You want utility spells like fly, teleport, heal and divinations. You want a patron like Plague or Agility that gives you strengths that aren't on the rest of your spell list. You want as many of those spells as possible, just like a wizard, so that you can swap them as needed.

Arbane
2011-08-03, 02:10 PM
Oh, one thing I noticed with the Patrons - some of the spells they give come a level too early for the witch to be able to cast them (like a level 2 spell granted at witch level 2), or aren't on the witch's spell-list at all. Is there some text I missed saying "yes, you can cast these spells at the caster level you get them."?

Starbuck_II
2011-08-03, 02:29 PM
has anyone written one yet? I searched but didn't see anything more complex than "take the best Save-or-Suck hexes".

Here is one I found:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1avH5AFYaZ838OC_W7BY_Bnt1TH9KGCc2ygTOb0CiYu 0

Arbane
2011-08-03, 03:40 PM
That looks helpful. Thanks!

Gnaeus
2011-08-03, 04:27 PM
Look at it, take it into consideration, but don't value it too highly. Some dubious advice in my opinion includes:

Spell Penetration ***

It’s a solid choice for the same reasons as Spell Focus. Anything that helps you get that spell off is useful.

Hexes are supernatural abilities that ignore SR. That is one of the most brutally awesome things about witches! Why would you use a feat to help you beat sr when you could fail, when you could use a hex that ignores it completely?

Spell Focus & Greater Spell Focus ***

This is a solid option without being spectacular. Anything that increases your DC’s for your spells is a good thing. No one will call you a chump for selecting these.

This is better than spell penetration, because you will want to use some fort and reflex save spells. But not much better. Your Save-or-Lose spells should come after debuffs like enervation, evil eye or misfortune. I would MUCH rather have Ability Focus to get a +2 on a hex that you use every battle.

cure moderate wounds ****

Why do you need a wizard or a cleric in the party when you have a witch that does everything?

You are going to memorize cure moderate wounds??? Then walk into melee to cast it? As a witch? Can't you buy a CLW wand like everyone else? Sure, I might learn CMW, but only if the party lacked a cleric and I needed it to supply a prerequisite for item creation.

Curious
2011-08-03, 04:31 PM
A feat that you must have past level 10 is Split Hex. It allows you to use a hex on two people at once when you cast it. Combine with Misfortune and Cackle to taste.

Elvencloud
2011-08-03, 05:16 PM
Any alternate races suggested by the playground? How about tiefling?

Curious
2011-08-03, 09:08 PM
Human is always good. Besides that, anything that boosts Int should be fine.

Arbane
2011-08-04, 11:45 AM
Are there any good ways to raise the save difficulty on hexes? (Aside from raising Int, of course.)

Edit: And here's a weird thought I just had: If someone's been hit by both the Fortune and Misfortune hexes, what do they roll for their Fortunate roll? I _think_ you'd roll 2d20 twice and take the lowest each time, then take the highest of that...? :smalleek: