PDA

View Full Version : Questions on small people feats

Aerlock
2011-08-03, 12:39 PM
I'm working on a gestalt Halfling PF Soulknife//Rogue/Master Thrower and have some questions on the interaction of a couple feats. I am looking at taking Giantbane (Comp. Warrior), Underfoot Combat (RotW), and Confound the Big Folk (RotW). I will have the Ring of Reduction from Lords of Madness, making me tiny. This lets me use all these feats on those of medium size or bigger.

I understand that Giantbane is a bad feat but I am taking it specifically for flavor. The thought of a 1 foot tall Halfling using the Climb Aboard option and climbing onto the back of an Orc and flinging mind daggers at all his opponents is just too funny for me to pass up.

The questions I have are how the other two feats work in conjunction with Giantbane. If I have climbed aboard a foe, do I qualify as being in that foes space for the purposes of the other two feats. Specifically would I get the soft cover from Underfoot Combat and be able to use Knee-striker, Underfoot Defense, and Unsteady Footing from Confound the Big Folk?

Another question along these lines, to make sure my mental picture is doable, is Using Giantbane would I be able to make ranged attacks against foes other than my "mount"?

- Aerlock

King Atticus
2011-08-03, 06:09 PM
... I will have the Ring of Reduction from Lords of Madness, making me tiny. ...
- Aerlock

Where is this ring found specifically? I was looking for it but couldn't even find a mention.

Aerlock
2011-08-03, 06:12 PM
Where is this ring found specifically? I was looking for it but couldn't even find a mention.

Page 130. 20,000gp on command size reduction. +2 Dex -2 Str plus other size benefits to ac and attack, works on all intelligent beings.

King Atticus
2011-08-03, 06:36 PM
Wow...that's handy, I might need to pick up one of those. In response to your question. IMHO despite it being called "underfoot" combat there doesn't seem to be any requirement for that to be the literal case. It just says you need to be in the same space as the creature. Which it looks to me would be triggered by giantbane since it uses the same wording:

Giantbane, climb aboard: "(you move into one of the squares the creature occupies)."

Hope that helps.

Ardantis
2011-08-03, 07:45 PM
I love the character idea. Hilarious.

By the actual rules wording, Confound the Big Folk works with Giantbane. However... the names of the tactical abilities don't mesh at all. If you consider the tactical ability names as flavor, rename them and move on. If not, however...

You can't be "Underfoot" a creature you are climbing.

You are probably not striking the knees of the creature you're riding.

You can't really affect the "footing" of a creature you're on top of.

The real question is- do the names of the abilities matter to you?

I think from a fluff perspective, all the abilities make sense for a creature you're riding except "Unsteady Footing," because how can you trip a creature you're riding?

The Glyphstone
2011-08-03, 07:49 PM
I think from a fluff perspective, all the abilities make sense for a creature you're riding except "Unsteady Footing," because how can you trip a creature you're riding?

Have someone clap the flats of their palms against your ears really, really hard. Then try to walk straight for a few seconds.

Having your balance messed with, particularly when someone is on your back jabbing daggers in your kidneys, could easily trip you up.

Greenish
2011-08-03, 07:53 PM
Have someone clap the flats of their palms against your ears really, really hard.Free advice: don't.

Aerlock
2011-08-04, 07:05 AM
Thanks for all the help so far. That's exactly what I was thinking but I wanted some other opinions by those that knew the rules better than I.

Now as for my other question:

Another question along these lines, to make sure my mental picture is doable, is Using Giantbane would I be able to make ranged attacks against foes other than my "mount"?

I'm thinking that I'm ok in throwing from melee range as long as I do something to account for the AoO's I'll be provoking, which I'm pretty sure Master Thrower and/or Whisperknife has covered, but again, just want to confirm.

- Aerlock

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-04, 07:17 AM
Climb on someones back and kick them as hard as you can in the back of the knee while shifting your weight suddenly. Even a small child can throw a large adult to the ground. The trick would be not ending up on the bottom of the pile.

Greenish
2011-08-04, 08:54 PM
I'm thinking that I'm ok in throwing from melee range as long as I do something to account for the AoO's I'll be provoking, which I'm pretty sure Master Thrower and/or Whisperknife has covered, but again, just want to confirm.Yeah, nothing in any of the feats stops you from attacking other creatures, and Whisperknife 3 indeed has you covered in defencive throwing department.

Also, insofar as I can tell, nothing in Giantbane's Climb Aboard hinders the target in any way (except for the penalty for attacking you), so there's nothing to stop you from climbing an ally and acting as a turret/shoulder cannon.

Zaq
2011-08-04, 08:58 PM
I love the character idea. Hilarious.

By the actual rules wording, Confound the Big Folk works with Giantbane. However... the names of the tactical abilities don't mesh at all. If you consider the tactical ability names as flavor, rename them and move on. If not, however...

You can't be "Underfoot" a creature you are climbing.

You are probably not striking the knees of the creature you're riding.

You can't really affect the "footing" of a creature you're on top of.

The real question is- do the names of the abilities matter to you?

Play Shadow of the Colossus sometime. You don't have to hit something's feet to make it fall down.

Aerlock
2011-08-05, 07:13 AM
Also, insofar as I can tell, nothing in Giantbane's Climb Aboard hinders the target in any way (except for the penalty for attacking you), so there's nothing to stop you from climbing an ally and acting as a turret/shoulder cannon.

That was my thinking as well. My backup idea, besides commandeering a foe as a temporary mount was to stand back on the casters shoulder and be a defensive turret to try and keep enemies back a bit.

Speaking of a mount, is there a magic saddle of domination in any of the books that I could use to get me a humanoid or giant as a mount?

- Aerlock

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-05, 08:15 AM
An exotic saddle traped with dominate monser would work. Little tippyverse though.

Also look into the ranged trip feat. I think it activates improved trip and (I may be wronge but look it up) I think it ignores your size.

It would be awsome to see a little character throw a knife that trips us a giant, then throws another knife to stab him in the eye.